Photo

GTA V vs GTA IV: A fair comparison

98 replies to this topic
John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

I think it's also fair to leave story out of the comparison for two reasons: neither story is better, it's just opinion and most gamers and critics do not care about gameplay and think that story is the only important factor in a game.

Sorry, I cannot do that. 

The story in a GTA game is the defining feature of it, it's the backbone of the game's entire structure. GTA IV' story sh*ts all over GTA V's in my view. 

And that is the reason we can't have nice things, I like a good story just as much as the next person, but when gameplay has to suffer, I would prefer a bad story than bad gameplay.

That's you. I like to have a nice balance of both, which GTA generally always has. That's the reason why the series is so popular in the first place if you had not noticed. It was always a more or less perfect balance of a very engaging and intriguing story/plot succesfully blended in with action-packed, and explosively fun gameplay. 

Well I like the perfect combination as well (I actually preferred GTA V's story to GTA IV's as it was different and the 3 protagonists made it so you didn't feel like an errand boy, but that is beside the point), but when I have to choose between the two, gameplay obviously wins because:

• It's a game.
  • I paid for a game, not a movie.
  • Bad cutscenes can usually be skipped, but bad gameplay can't.
  • Games are meant to be fun, not chores.

The whole story ruining gameplay issue is present outside of GTA, have a look at Mass Effect 2 for example, the story is great but the gameplay and level design are complete and utter garbage.

This  :^:

Let's take a minute to look at San Andreas and IV:

SA was a hugely fun and enjoyable game, but it had the most ridiculous, unrealistic and over-the-top campaign in the series thus far. IV was kind of the opposite; it had a great and convincing story, but gameplay somewhat suffered in terms of features compared to SA (I still prefer IV to SA overall).

V is where it gets it right. A perfect balance of explosive fun with as much realism as they could get away with to supplement the fun. It didn't have quite as an expansive or in-depth story as IV, but it was by far more interesting and convincing than SA. And it is more fun than both of those games, which in the end is what really matters. And this is why for me V reigns supreme.

• Tilemaxx and ten-a-penny like this

uzi 9mm
  • uzi 9mm

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

I personally think GTA V and IV are very very similar to be honest. The differences are quite subtle, modding your car is ok but I never really tend to focus on modding a car in GTA games and keeping it as a prized possession. I just steal a fast cars and go on a rampage.

And the story modes in both games are both funny, both entertaining, and kept me entertained to the end, both games. I never really got bored during the story, the cut scenes were always fun to watch, and the gameplay too. The graphics are more or less the same, IV is darker and gloomy, but the overall quality is similar, I do like V's exotic beaches and colourful vibe, but I like the gritty IV LC streets and high-rise public housing. End of the day it's just scenery.

And to be fair I played IV a lot more compared to V, put it this way, I stopped playing V for over a month now, despite it's big map and mountains and beautiful beaches, I played IV for ages after I completed the story, but since I caned it in IV, doing it again in V didn't last as long.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

• Gameplay: GTA V improved even more on the shooting mechanics as it now has the health regeneration system which is standard in all third person shooters
  • Vehicles:
  • Weapons: GTA IV cut the amount of weapons to below the bear minimums, the game lacked sticky bombs and everyone's favorite, the minigun and to make things worse, melee weapons were cut back to only the two most generic melee weapons.
  • Police: There are a lot of criticisms about GTA V's police being two difficult, however, they are (or at least I think so), easier than the x-ray vision LCPD since I can actually hide and remain hidden and not get busted by cops with x-ray vision. Another issues with the police in GTA IV is that fact that the game was scripted so cops nould not be escape with a helicopter if the player had a 3 or more star wanted level.
  • Health regeneration is a good thing? You've got to be kidding me. Just because it's mainstream doesn't mean it's good. How exactly are the shooting mechanics improved, weapons have little to no bulletspread and don't need to be controlled, just hold the trigger. And even with that, people use auto-aim? It's not justified.
  • What's the point in good vehicle variety if they all handle very similarly and there is no incentive to drive the slower ones.
  • Sticky bombs? Really? You mean that little plastic c4 people use online for really cheap kills?
  • If you're so bad at avoiding the police, you could have just ran/drove into the underground subway system.

GTA IV was UNIQUE in every single aspect. GTA V looks like a bad mix of several games that were good.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Disreputable Mexican Pharmacist

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

We should take GTA V's graphics and weapon mechanics,

and PUSH them into GTA IV!

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

it's just opinion and most gamers and critics do not care about gameplay and think that story is the only important factor in a game.

My entire opinion on why i think its bullsh*t that people want TLoU to win GOTY just for its story in a single sentence... HOW DID YOU DO THAT!?

As for comparisons for GTA IV and GTA V. 

Well, GTA V from multiple standpoints is an improvement over its predecessors but there are just some small details i miss in IV. Though these details are merely superfluous to the actual quality of the game. 

Like leaving your engine on if you just tap Y or TRIANGLE, it makes quick getaways just a bit easier and the game a bit more immersive hearing your car radio in the background. I also miss how shooting enemies and pedestrians feel like your shooting meatbags. I know its unrealistic but it was just satisfying. Now they just fall down and die after one hit from any weapon. Sometimes they might survive the shots but most of the time i feel my weapons are overpowered. But i guess its realistic. 

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Your totally wrong about the police maverick.

How am I wrong about it, it did not spawn at all in GTA IV, it only appeared when the player had a 3 or more star wanted level, so the only way to obtain one was by sniping the pilot and just hope that the helicopter doesn't explode or break upon impact with the ground. There is no excuse at all for this, it's just lazy game design, the Police Maverick spawned on police station rooftops in 3D Universe games, and it spawns there too in GTA V.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:40 AM

I think it's also fair to leave story out of the comparison for two reasons: neither story is better, it's just opinion and most gamers and critics do not care about gameplay and think that story is the only important factor in a game.

Sorry, I cannot do that. 

The story in a GTA game is the defining feature of it, it's the backbone of the game's entire structure. GTA IV' story sh*ts all over GTA V's in my view. 

And that is the reason we can't have nice things, I like a good story just as much as the next person, but when gameplay has to suffer, I would prefer a bad story than bad gameplay.

That's you. I like to have a nice balance of both, which GTA generally always has. That's the reason why the series is so popular in the first place if you had not noticed. It was always a more or less perfect balance of a very engaging and intriguing story/plot succesfully blended in with action-packed, and explosively fun gameplay. 

Well I like the perfect combination as well (I actually preferred GTA V's story to GTA IV's as it was different and the 3 protagonists made it so you didn't feel like an errand boy, but that is beside the point), but when I have to choose between the two, gameplay obviously wins because:

• It's a game.
  • I paid for a game, not a movie.
  • Bad cutscenes can usually be skipped, but bad gameplay can't.
  • Games are meant to be fun, not chores.

The whole story ruining gameplay issue is present outside of GTA, have a look at Mass Effect 2 for example, the story is great but the gameplay and level design are complete and utter garbage.

This  :^:

Let's take a minute to look at San Andreas and IV:

SA was a hugely fun and enjoyable game, but it had the most ridiculous, unrealistic and over-the-top campaign in the series thus far. IV was kind of the opposite; it had a great and convincing story, but gameplay somewhat suffered in terms of features compared to SA (I still prefer IV to SA overall).

V is where it gets it right. A perfect balance of explosive fun with as much realism as they could get away with to supplement the fun. It didn't have quite as an expansive or in-depth story as IV, but it was by far more interesting and convincing than SA. And it is more fun than both of those games, which in the end is what really matters. And this is why for me V reigns supreme.

Honestly SA was fun in its day, but I've had way more fun with GTA IV. CJ was and is still an unlikeable idiot and the "many things to do" people always rave on about aren't anything special IMO.

Although I criticise GTA V if I was stuck on an island and had to choose between it and SA I would take GTA V anyday. Though for me GTA IV is still a better game. Always will be.

BBQ RIBS
  • BBQ RIBS

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

Your totally wrong about the police maverick.

How am I wrong about it, it did not spawn at all in GTA IV, it only appeared when the player had a 3 or more star wanted level, so the only way to obtain one was by sniping the pilot and just hope that the helicopter doesn't explode or break upon impact with the ground. There is no excuse at all for this, it's just lazy game design, the Police Maverick spawned on police station rooftops in 3D Universe games, and it spawns there too in GTA V.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I was the wrong one. I mixed it with multiplayer in which you could indeed find the Maverick on some rooftops.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:41 AM

Nah I can't quite agree with that. Like me and Son Of Liberty have stated already, in GTA the story and gameplay generally tend to successfully compliment each other - this is what made GTA so great in the first place.

No.

What made GTA popular was the free-roam aspect. Not the story. GTA SA had a bad story at parts but I still liked it mainly due to the free-roam aspect. Some games have shown that story does not matter very much if you the gameplay is awesome. Far Cry 3 for instance, while I thought the story was quite good, majority thought otherwise but liked it for the awesome gameplay.

Also, with the rising focus on Online, I doubt whether majority bothered about the story to be honest.
  • B Dawg, Officer Ronson, TheMasterfocker and 2 others like this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

Playing GTA IV after V has actually made me appreciate it more. There's still stuff to do after the story like vigilante missions, drug deals for Jacob, doing tasks for strangers and stealing cars. Even though it didn't have things like car customisation, planes, tanks, purchasable property or other things that previous games and V had, it was a great effort considering they started from scratch with a new engine. While V was a triumph, it felt like they took two huge steps forward and one step back, as if they were trying too hard to please people who hated IV.

While I can understand why IV was shallow and boring for some, I felt it was a somewhat better effort than V, which properly delivered a bit less on expectations since Rockstar North were also working on Agent at the time, and wanted to get a new GTA title out ASAP.

This 100%

If you played IV on the PC with a couple of mods like these:

RPing mods

LCPD First Response: http://www.gta4-mods...v095-rc2-f12141

Gang bang turf wars:

http://www.gta4-mods...turfwars-f17526  and

http://www.gta4-mods...0---v2100-f6036

Food/Entertainment mods

GTA IV Hot Coffee mod: http://www.gta4-mods...e-mod-25-f16934

Big City Life mod (adds sims 3 like motives to GTA 4) : http://www.gta4-mods...life-v02-f17278

food mod SA stylehttp://www.gta4-mods...d-mod-v1-f24986

Immersion Mods

Snow in LC--yes everywhere. Car physics was pushed to the limit driving in this: http://www.gta4-mods...-updated-f24941

Own LC Businesses mod: http://www.gta4-mods...plete-v2-f21460

Everything Car for Multi player (and SP as well) http://www.gta4-mods...car-v11b-f24984

Angry Amobea's bank account, weapon weight & storage aka basically any of this dude's amazing mods: http://www.gtagaming...s/author/114143

Hippie Communist Prison Break mod: http://www.gta4-mods...son-break-f2558

Fuel/gas mileage mod (where the LC gas stations actually work): http://www.gta4-mods...mod-v312-f23207

Criminal Records/Enterprise mods

Hippie Communist Museum & bank robbery mod: http://www.gta4-mods...-mod-v103-f2195

Armored Car hijack mod (better than gta 5 version): http://www.gta4-mods...r-hijack-f14428

Armored truck robbery (better than gta 5 version) : http://www.gta4-mods...-robbery-f15136

Organ Trafficking: http://www.gta4-mods...afficking-f9046

Assassination mod: http://www.gta4-mods...-mod-v06-f11273

Kidnapping mod: http://www.gta4-mods...pping-v12-f9049

Stalker/serial killer mod (based on that LC serial killer on the internet news):  http://www.gta4-mods...mod-beta-f13922

....and then compare the gta 4 modded game to V, you would REALLY appreciate GTA IV that much more IMO.  :cool:  Because mods like these show just how far GTA V has regressed in terms of game play.  :(

As beautiful and realistic as V graphics are, these 4th gen LC mods make it painfully obvious of what GTA V is still missing in terms of content to date---both in SP and in GTAO. I'm not sure just how much of a difference heists will make to the game when they finally get around to releasing it either.... :/

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

@PkUnzipper

Compare Modded IV to Vanilla V? Are you f*cking kidding me?

• CantThinkOfOne2013 likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:26 AM

Playing GTA IV after V has actually made me appreciate it more. There's still stuff to do after the story like vigilante missions, drug deals for Jacob, doing tasks for strangers and stealing cars. Even though it didn't have things like car customisation, planes, tanks, purchasable property or other things that previous games and V had, it was a great effort considering they started from scratch with a new engine. While V was a triumph, it felt like they took two huge steps forward and one step back, as if they were trying too hard to please people who hated IV.

While I can understand why IV was shallow and boring for some, I felt it was a somewhat better effort than V, which properly delivered a bit less on expectations since Rockstar North were also working on Agent at the time, and wanted to get a new GTA title out ASAP.

I beg to differ, Rockstar only put effort into the world and the story, it feels like they didn't try hard on GTA IV at all after that, that is why the vehicle variety is garbage and it is also why the vehicle spawning system is terrible.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:34 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 07 December 2013 - 02:44 AM.

@PkUnzipper

Compare Modded IV to Vanilla V? Are you f*cking kidding me?

are you only comparing the two based on the graphics alone? Or the actual game play & game mechanics in SP? Did you even bother to look at any of the mod links I posted?

don't get me wrong.  V adds some new and greatly improved features like the RDR style weapon wheel, random encounters, animals, the superior graphics, underwater map region etc. 

I'm referring to the immersion--or lack thereof--in GTA V SP. Apart from the non mission game activities like base jumping, darts, golf, tennis etc. (which I find a huge addition to SP) there really isn't that much else by means of immersion. 

In GTA 5, you're limited by what you can do in sandbox after beating the game. Why aren't 100% of ALL activities that all 3 protags did not available after SP completion??

You can't hunt or do drug running missions unless you're Trevor.  You can't own movie theaters, or hang out with the fruit loops at Epsilon, or do yoga unless you're Micheal.  You can't play tennis if you're Franklin.  You can't own Smoke on the water unless you're Franklin, let alone any of the protags being able to shop there.  With the exception of specific stores like clothing & Ammunation, none of the stores on the map have interiors or are interactive .

None of the activities or game play in gta 5 (SP or online) match what mods like what Big City Life did for GTA 4 SP to date. Because the last time I saw any degree of immersive realism like that in a GTA game, was back in SA TBH.  You can't perform sandbox activities  like the armed truck robberies (see the mods I listed in those links above) anywhere in SP unless you're on a mission. And only one SP mission at that.  We're still waiting on heists. And chances are that feature is most likely going to be restricted to GTAO etc. etc.

I don't know what game you've been playing, But the SP that I played fell short of GTA 4 (and especially SA) in so many ways

So let's be honest here.The best of the content R* has planned for V will be all online. I seriously doubt if SP will be getting any more freebies after the beach bum pack. If R* does plan on upgrading SP when it adds more stuff to GTAO, then odds it won't be free.......

• Thegutang likes this

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

I beg to differ, Rockstar only put effort into the world and the story, it feels like they didn't try hard on GTA IV at all after that, that is why the vehicle variety is garbage and it is also why the vehicle spawning system is terrible.

How didn't they try hard on GTA IV? Have you compared the gameplay to San Andreas without comparing the features? Ignoring whether it has vigilante, firefighter, paramedic and so on. The game is drastically different in so many ways that it's not funny. That you can make a thread saying you are fairly comparing GTA IV and GTA V and then spout off crap like this is just ridiculous. GTA IV accomplished most of the legwork for GTA V. Red Dead Redemption accomplished some of it too. If any GTA had less effort put into it, I'd say it was V with the half-assed properties, how short most of the side content is, the terrible GTA:O launch (which still isn't finished yet) and the short main campaign. 

• Miamivicecity, Ermac., Andreas and 1 other like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:56 AM

@PKUnzipper

You haden't been exploring that much lately, had you? No im not talking about graphics.

There ins't a mission for the Armored truck hijack, it's an actualy random activity that you can either do or let go. You can approach differently by either attacking the guard who carries the money or blow up the doors with a sticky bomb after they loaded the it up. It repeats and its found in several places. Better than that mod you posted.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:06 AM Edited by AceKingston, 07 December 2013 - 03:07 AM.

How didn't they try hard on GTA IV? Have you compared the gameplay to San Andreas without comparing the features? Ignoring whether it has vigilante, firefighter, paramedic and so on. The game is drastically different in so many ways that it's not funny. That you can make a thread saying you are fairly comparing GTA IV and GTA V and then spout off crap like this is just ridiculous. GTA IV accomplished most of the legwork for GTA V. Red Dead Redemption accomplished some of it too. If any GTA had less effort put into it, I'd say it was V with the half-assed properties, how short most of the side content is, the terrible GTA:O launch (which still isn't finished yet) and the short main campaign.

That's stupid. You're saying that Rockstar did not put in a lot of effort in this game which is stupid and an act of 'hater fanboyism'.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

I Run This Town

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

For the first time since SA i'm able to spend HOURS collecting/buying cars/bikes and mod them, then testing them on the road. That was missing in IV, as you couldn't buy or mod vehicles. That's the number one side-activity for me since SA, as i've spent tons of hours to it, and the main reason why i've abandoned IV since 2011.

Tennis is great, i love the mechanics and ball physics. It's like a separate game within the game. Tons of hours there too.

Yoga is mediocre, imho the most pointless side-mission in V. They could have included some side heists instead.

I'd like some basketball as there are courts with a ball in the middle, but i guess that's goin to be DLC'd.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

That's stupid. You're saying that Rockstar did not put in a lot of effort in this game which is stupid and an act of 'hater fanboyism'.

No, I said if they put less effort into any GTA it would be GTA V. Not 'if they put no effort into'. Clearly they put some effort into both games, but if one had less I would say it was GTA V. GTA IV feels like a game they spent four years building from the ground up. GTA V doesn't feel like a game they spent four years improving. 

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:34 AM

No, I said if they put less effort into any GTA it would be GTA V. Not 'if they put no effort into'. Clearly they put some effort into both games, but if one had less I would say it was GTA V. GTA IV feels like a game they spent four years building from the ground up. GTA V doesn't feel like a game they spent four years improving. 

Actually they did. They improved the graphics, increased, the size of the map, added some things that were not there in IV, hunting, heists, etc.

As for the short campaign, 70 missions is actually good. There are open world games with far shorter storylines.

As for the terrible GTA:O launch, Rockstar themselves said it would be a problem with lots of people logging in at once. It became smooth after a couple of weeks. Loads of people crashing into servers is something beyond their control.

However, GTA IV was indeed tougher to make. Considering it was their first HD game, they did do really well to make the game feel good.

Thegutang
  • Thegutang

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:38 AM Edited by Thegutang, 07 December 2013 - 03:41 AM.

GTA V takes itself too seriously.

Old GTA's were about fun. GTA III was so much fun, and nobody ever complained that your character didnt speak... And then they got more immersive with VA, SA with IV, but still fun.

GTA V literally punishes you for trying to have fun at every possible turn...

• B Dawg and PkUnzipper like this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:45 AM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 07 December 2013 - 04:04 AM.

Yet they can't even do something as simple as make a police helicopter spawn on a police station helipad (in single player)? they can't even do something as simple as make a hearse spawn at the cemetery? they can't do something as simple as make a police boat spawn in the river without a wanted level? oh the list goes on

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:48 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 07 December 2013 - 03:56 AM.

@PKUnzipper

You haden't been exploring that much lately, had you? No im not talking about graphics.

There ins't a mission for the Armored truck hijack, it's an actualy random activity that you can either do or let go. You can approach differently by either attacking the guard who carries the money or blow up the doors with a sticky bomb after they loaded the it up. It repeats and its found in several places. Better than that mod you posted.

while this is somewhat true, one armed truck robbery doesn't make the grade in the immersion GTA 4 had. If you checked out BOTH mods, you would have noticed a subtle difference.  One mod allowed you to rob a stationary armed truck outside the Liberty Bank.  The other was far more difficult (if not impossible) to accomplish. Because while it was similar to the existing armed robbery truck events in V, the police (and ped) AI was insanely aggressive.  You couldn't follow an armed truck for a good while without drawing suspicion.  You also couldn't just stroll up to the rear of the vehicle and plant any sticky bombs there. Because you'd be shot dead before you got withing 10 feet of the vehicle rear.  Then there were other mods like the Bank & Museum robbery mods, or the prison break mods. 

The closest we'll get to any of this in GTAO is going to be the heist DLC.  I doubt if we'll everr get something the scale of the prison break mod since we don't really have any building interiors,.  Unless of course, R* plans to update GTAO with this later on. And I seriously doubt any of the heist content will be available for SP.

Then there are the fun, RPing/imersive sandbox side activities like dancing, horse betting mini games, being able to gamble inside a 100% functional casino with working slot machines and card games.  Being able eat inside restaurants, explore building interiors, have gang warfare/police shoot outs in random building interiors, or hidden challenges (like the NRG challenge in SF, the BMX one in LS, and the mtn. bike challenge at Mt Chiliad) are concerned. 

And don't get me started on the lack of RPing side missions like firefighter, vigilante, ambulance, or stealth/box car missions.  If V were so damned perfect, then why the hell are ppl glitching the hell out of the game adding vehicles like police cruisers & tow trucks. in GTAO? Which by R* own admission, is supposed to be superior to SP because of the extra features btw......

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:58 AM

@PKUnzipper

while this is somewhat true, one armed truck robbery doesn't make the grade in the immersion GTA 4 had. If you checked out BOTH mods, you would have noticed a subtle difference.  One mod allowed you to rob a stationary armed truck outside the Liberty Bank.  The other was far more difficult (if not impossible) to accomplish. Because while it was similar to the existing armed robbery truck events in V, the police (and ped) AI was insanely aggressive.  You couldn't follow an armed truck for a good while without drawing suspicion.  You also couldn't just stroll up to the rear of the vehicle and plant any sticky bombs there. Because you'd be shot dead before you got withing 10 feet of the vehicle rear.  Then there were other mods like the Bank & Museum robbery mods, or the prison break mods. 

The closest we'll get to any of this in GTAO is going to be the heist DLC.  I doubt if we'll everr get something the scale of the prison break mod since we don't really have any building interiors,.  Unless of course, R* plans to update GTAO with this later on. And I seriously doubt any of the heist content will be available for SP.

Then there are the fun, RPing/imersive sandbox side activities like dancing, horse betting mini games, being able to gamble inside a 100% functional casino with working slot machines and card games.  Being able eat inside restaurants, explore building interiors, have gang warfare/police shoot outs in random building interiors, or hidden challenges (like the NRG challenge in SF, the BMX one in LS, and the mtn. bike challenge at Mt Chiliad) are concerned. 

And don't get me started on the lack of RPing side missions like firefighter, vigilante, ambulance, or stealth/box car missions.  If V were so damned perfect, then why the hell are ppl glitching the hell out of the game adding vehicles like police cruisers & tow trucks. in GTAO? Which by R* own admission, is supposed to be superior to SP because of the extra features btw......

I'm just skimming, but are you still trying to compare modded GTA 4 to GTA 5?

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:15 AM

I don't care if this makes me a fanboy but if IV had a longer campaign, better vehicle storage and insurance in SP and the return of vehicle related side missions like paramedic and vigilante it would be almost a 10/10. What it had besides Yoga I very much enjoyed though. Not crazy about collectibles but never was big on that stuff in any GTA.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:34 AM

Actually they did. They improved the graphics, increased, the size of the map, added some things that were not there in IV, hunting, heists, etc.

As for the short campaign, 70 missions is actually good. There are open world games with far shorter storylines.

As for the terrible GTA:O launch, Rockstar themselves said it would be a problem with lots of people logging in at once. It became smooth after a couple of weeks. Loads of people crashing into servers is something beyond their control.

However, GTA IV was indeed tougher to make. Considering it was their first HD game, they did do really well to make the game feel good.

Again: These improvements are not denied by me. I say that they don't feel like 4 years worth of improvements. After all they were improving the engine with: TLAD, TBOGT, Max Payne 3, and Red Dead and those updates both visually and in game design were used to help make GTA V. There was a heist in GTA IV so I don't know why you're including that in the list of things they added, and they also removed quite a bit of gameplay from GTA IV. The basic design feels more sloppy and many of the side activities feel worse than they ought. 

Hunting is nice but it's stupid that only one character can do it, would be improved by an inventory (which red dead had so the work for an inventory had been done in the RAGE engine), could have had more animals from Red Dead, and potentially could have just been done on the fly like Red Dead so we could count any animal kill as a hunting kill. 

Bounties are a joke with only 4. GTA IV had vigilante with 30 Most Wanted to kill. They couldn't even make half of that for bounties to capture or kill? Why don't we have to tie any of them up or take them by force? They all eventually come quietly without any form of restraint. This is the quality of 4 years of improvements?

Rampages are nice but there are too few. (I think 5 but I forget the exact). GTA III had 20 rampages. Why does GTA V have less? They haven't been in the main series since Vice CIty and their return is rather weak. 

Random events have seen improvements but feel less dynamic than Red Dead's where they were truly improved first. GTA V only adopts them and puts them in fixed locations... hooray?

Properties feels extremely lackluster. One I suspect was always going to be part of the story in some way (the airstrip that Trevor can buy) because it features a cutscene. The rest feature phone calls or text messages. The activities they ask you to do are generally very simple and repetitive and they call extremely often. It feels like they rushed it out because they realized people wanted the feature. 

The campaign is the shortest in GTA since Vice City. (Or the expansions if you count those). Even the PSP games had longer campaigns or similarly length campaigns. Having missions like "Buy masks" is ridiculous. It's not really bad for it to be short, but the length of the campaign does hinder some of the story and more story could have given us more awesome gameplay. Imagine having more missions for Trevor's TP industries or having to deal with the repercussions of leaving the gang life for Franklin. These things could have lead to awesome missions but we only really explore Michael and Trevor's past.  

GTA: O dealt with a lot more than trouble connecting. There were lost characters, lost money, lost cars even after patches trying to fix these things. It is now stable to play but it took a bit long to get to this point and we still don't have all of the features. 

All of it leads up to a game that excels in many areas but falls short in others. It's a weird mix of quality and a lack of quality that feels uncharacteristic of Rockstar. I kinda suspect the game was started later than we believe and was rushed to completion to get out before people dumped their 360/PS3 for the next-gen systems. I doubt highly they just put less effort into either game. They both probably had severely different circumstances for development. 

Yet they can't even do something as simple as make a police helicopter spawn on a police station helipad (in single player), they can't even do something as simple as make a hearse spawn at the cemetery?

They probably could have done it but didn't for reasons unknown. What's really important is why you think this is so important. This isn't a major feature. You're talking about a game that overhauled every basic gameplay feature and are acting like only this matters. Was it something they needed to improve? Yes. Did they improve it in V? Yes. Does it mean that IV had no effort and V a ton of effort? Hell no. Both had a lot of effort put into them and they both have areas where they succeed and fell short.

• Ermac., Andreas and PkUnzipper like this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:46 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 07 December 2013 - 06:59 AM.

@PKUnzipper

I'm just skimming, but are you still trying to compare modded GTA 4 to GTA 5?

yes. Fully modded GTA IV with it's superior physics engine vs the superficial and empty beauty of GTA V.

If GTA 5 SP shipped with the 100% fun sandbox content and extensive story line that came with SP, plus GTA 4 physics engine, then V would have truly been a master piece.  Instead, we got a hacked up storyline with 3 protags, which in turn, cut the story line and time to complete SP by a factor of 3. 

Of the 3 protags, Trevor's character was the only one who showed real promise.  But they never really developed him.  Sadly enough, the one thing that will always strike me about Trevor is that he's afraid of clowns. The remaining 2 protags have totally lackluster back stories and so completely forgettable IMO.

Bottom line is that GTA 5 could have been so much more in terms of immersive/RPG game play when compared to its predecessors in IV and SA.  If you looked beyond GTA 5's seductive graphics and breathtaking realism of its open world environment, you would be able to  realize that.

Instead, I feel as though I paid $60 for a very expensive license key to play F2P online game.

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

The three pronged approach with the protags wasn't quite successful. I found the characters too mild. Also, franklin didn't get much attention. The whole game is about michael and trevor having beef. The experience was movie like but it did leave a little more to be desired. Oh well just my OP (:

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

​Comparing ... IV and V .. Why It Matters? Both games serve the purpose of GTA and balance out well. If you do not enjoy playing one, please continue to do so.

We're reaching to a point of finding faults among our favorites-maybe even further than that-before they really start to look like worse.

Plus, I'm guessing that there is at least a chance you missed to account the feel of playing each yet. 

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:16 AM Edited by Polish_Trucker, 07 December 2013 - 09:17 AM.

• Vehicles: The vehicle variety in GTA IV was complete garbage, I would explore the city and find locations where unique vehicle could have spawned (golf cart at the golf course, construction vehicles at the construction sites, go-kart at the go-kart track, lawn mower at the golf course, etc) but no, all we had was generic vehicles apart from a very select few (hearse, ice-cream truck, etc). Another problem with vehicles in GTA IV was the spawning system, for example, the Romero (hearse) was featured only in one mission and can't be found in free roam, I don't see why it could not spawn at the church or the cemetery. Another thing, the Police Maverick (police helicopter) and Police Predator (police boat) did not have actual spawn points like in previous games and GTA V where the Police Maverick can be found on top of police stations and the Predator could be found patrolling the water, instead, they only appear when the player has a wanted level, so the only way to obtain them is by sniping tricks. Also, the helicopter variety was complete garbage, since the game took out the planes, the helicopter variety should have been a lot better (it should have been a lot better even if the game had planes), 4 helicopters just don't cut it, especially when one is painfully difficult to obtain. GTA V did vehicle variety a lot better, with nearly all vehicles spawning at appropriate locations in free roam and the vehicle variety is the best of any GTA game, it's just a shame that trains are not drivable.

I think IV has a greater advantage in the terms of vehicles because there are a huge variety between vehicles (lowriders, classics, 4-doors etc) unlike V where 70% of all vehicles are super/sports.. 

Also regarding the spawning system, that isn't R*s fault, its the console limitations.

EDIT: Planes weren't in IV because the map was to small.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Speaking of properties it's clear these were shoehorned into the game without much thought. Everyone (well almost) blew up last year when the G.I article was released mentioning properties weren't going to be in the game. I always thought maybe R* were with holding them for a surprise, but the end result feels like they were never intended to be in the game in the first place and only added due to the negative fan reaction.

It's a shame really because I was looking forward to this returning, but what we have is a joke compared to VC, SA and VCS. Why do we have to wait to do property missions? We should be able to do those whenever we like and the overpricing is insane. I've still never been able to buy the golf course, but I've heard the benefits are weak. We can play games of golf for free and in our street clothes? Yeah that's worth $150,000,000 *cough*.

If I could consider anything a blown opportunity in GTA V this would be it. The way it's so half assed is inexcusable. GTA IV didn't have buyable property, but at least it didn't try and do half a job of it and left it out altogether.

Anyway I agree with you spamtackey that GTA V doesn't really feel like a game that was in development as long as it did. I mean it looks fantastic and tightens up GTA IV's sluggishness in terms of general movement and shooting, but this is what I'd expect of a newer game. A lot of GTA V's ideas sounded awesome on paper, but in practice it's nothing short of "could've been better".

As much as I like GTA V maybe R* should've waited to develop it for the Xboxone and PS4? I used to cringe at the idea, but thinking about it we'd have a much better rounded game that could've been pushed harder to its full potential.

• spamtackey likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users