GTA V vs GTA IV: A fair comparison

98 replies to this topic
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Screw the Moral Majority

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

I know it has been debated several times before on this forum but no one has ever done a fair comparison as GTA IV supporters use Episodes from Liberty City when comparing despite Lost and Dammed and Ballad of Gay Tony being separate games which were released long after the release of GTA IV. I think it's also fair to leave story out of the comparison for two reasons: neither story is better, it's just opinion and most gamers and critics do not care about gameplay and think that story is the only important factor in a game.

• Gameplay: I will leave the driving debate out of this for two reasons: there is already an entire topic about it  and that it comes down to opinion. As for shooting mechanics, GTA IV improved of the 3D Universe with the excellent cover system which made shootouts a more enjoyable and made free aim a more desirable option. GTA V improved even more on the shooting mechanics as it now has the health regeneration system which is standard in all third person shooters which made shootouts feel more fluent. When it comes to melee combat, the melee was simply bad in GTA IV and it was a lot more fun in GTA V.
  • Missions: While I never felt bored (apart from the First Date mission), GTA IVs missions were repetitive, I always knew what the next mission was going to be apart from a few exceptions.As for GTA V, I never knew what the next mission was going to be, and the variety was excellent, and there was no more filler missions in GTA V.
  • Vehicles: The vehicle variety in GTA IV was complete garbage, I would explore the city and find locations where unique vehicle could have spawned (golf cart at the golf course, construction vehicles at the construction sites, go-kart at the go-kart track, lawn mower at the golf course, etc) but no, all we had was generic vehicles apart from a very select few (hearse, ice-cream truck, etc). Another problem with vehicles in GTA IV was the spawning system, for example, the Romero (hearse) was featured only in one mission and can't be found in free roam, I don't see why it could not spawn at the church or the cemetery. Another thing, the Police Maverick (police helicopter) and Police Predator (police boat) did not have actual spawn points like in previous games and GTA V where the Police Maverick can be found on top of police stations and the Predator could be found patrolling the water, instead, they only appear when the player has a wanted level, so the only way to obtain them is by sniping tricks. Also, the helicopter variety was complete garbage, since the game took out the planes, the helicopter variety should have been a lot better (it should have been a lot better even if the game had planes), 4 helicopters just don't cut it, especially when one is painfully difficult to obtain. GTA IV did vehicle variety a lot better, with nearly all vehicles spawning at appropriate locations in free roam and the vehicle variety is the best of any GTA game, it's just a shame that trains are not drivable.
  • Weapons: GTA IV cut the amount of weapons to below the bear minimums, the game lacked sticky bombs and everyone's favorite, the minigun and to make things worse, melee weapons were cut back to only the two most generic melee weapons. While GTA V does not bring back all of the memorable weapons from the 3D Universe games (Chainsaw, Flamethrower, etc), it brings back enough to allow for much more fun gameplay.
  • Police: There are a lot of criticisms about GTA V's police being two difficult, however, they are (or at least I think so), easier than the x-ray vision LCPD since I can actually hide and remain hidden and not get busted by cops with x-ray vision. Another issues with the police in GTA IV is that fact that the game was scripted so cops nould not be escape with a helicopter if the player had a 3 or more star wanted level.
  • The amount of detail put into Liberty City (New York) was amazing, however, parts of it were ruined by the previously mentioned vehicle variety and vehicle spawning. As GTA V's San Andreas (Southern California) fixed the problems with vehicle variety and vehicle spawning, it's setting worked a lot better as it has the same (if not more) amount of detail as Liberty City as well as a variety of map locations. Liberty City, however, had more interior locations.
  • Activities: "Hey Niko, it's your cousin, lets go bowling", anyone who played GTA IV for more then 5 minutes would no this saying and know how annoying GTA IV's friendship/dating system is. The bowling and pool minigames in GTA IV were not enjoyable so it was annoying that friends always asked you to do them. GTA IV introduced the ability to watch TV in your safehouse, GTA IV featured more TV shows than GTA V, but a lot of them just showed off features which were absent from the game. The friendship system returns in GTA V but it is dumbed down for the better, yes friendship perks are gone, but it beats having your annoying friend ringing you up every 5 minutes. In my opinon, all of GTA V's activities (with the exception of Yoga) are much more enjoyable than those of GTA V.
  • Story: As mentioned, it's best leave story out of the comparison for two reasons: neither story is better, it's just opinion and most gamers and critics do not care about gameplay and think that story is the only important factor in a game.

So that's my two cents on GTA IV and GTA V. As mentioned, I know that there have been topics like this before, but no have been fair, they either included EFLC when comparing, or only compare the story. Hopefully, the comparison will be more fair in this thread.

• Wolfhuman, Officer Ronson, DeafMetal and 7 others like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

• Missions: While I never felt bored (apart from the First Date mission), GTA IVs missions were repetitive, I always knew what the next mission was going to be apart from a few exceptions.As for GTA V, I never knew what the next mission was going to be, and the variety was excellent, and there was no more filler missions in GTA V..

I can't agree with that. GTA V's mission variety is good, but it still has filler. The heist prep tasks are classed as full missions even though they shouldn't be and for whatever reason Lester's Assassinations are apart of the mission count while they have nothing to do with the story.

It may not to be to the extent of the older games, but it's still there.

• DeafMetal, IGhostUlt, QuietJosh and 2 others like this

IGhostUlt
  • IGhostUlt

LSLKS

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

• Missions: While I never felt bored (apart from the First Date mission), GTA IVs missions were repetitive, I always knew what the next mission was going to be apart from a few exceptions.As for GTA V, I never knew what the next mission was going to be, and the variety was excellent, and there was no more filler missions in GTA V..

I can't agree with that. GTA V's mission variety is good, but it still has filler. The heist prep tasks are classed as full missions even though they shouldn't be and for whatever reason Lester's Assassinations are apart of the mission count while they have nothing to do with the story.

there were tons of filler missions in gta v, like those missions where u had to get things for the heist, those took less than 2 minutes. Didnt even feel like a mission at all.

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

V's heist mission was a goddamn joke. IV's bank robbery/heist mission was also a goddamn joke.

I expect missions of these types to have way more planning and 'prerequisites' to fulfill rather than show up and do it. 

Good heist/bank robbery missions? Take a look at SA and VC. Those are well done missions & planning. 

• latigreblue likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

V's heist mission was a goddamn joke. IV's bank robbery/heist mission was also a goddamn joke.

I expect missions of these types to have way more planning and 'prerequisites' to fulfill rather than show up and do it. 

Good heist/bank robbery missions? Take a look at SA and VC. Those are well done missions & planning. 

Three Leaf Clover had a reason. All the planning was done before Niko came into it.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:35 AM Edited by Official General, 06 December 2013 - 02:49 AM.

I think it's also fair to leave story out of the comparison for two reasons: neither story is better, it's just opinion and most gamers and critics do not care about gameplay and think that story is the only important factor in a game.

Sorry, I cannot do that. 

The story in a GTA game is the defining feature of it, it's the backbone of the game's entire structure. GTA IV' story sh*ts all over GTA V's in my view. 

• SonOfLiberty, FearTheLiving, latigreblue and 3 others like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:44 AM

I think it's also fair to leave story out of the comparison for two reasons: neither story is better, it's just opinion and most gamers and critics do not care about gameplay and think that story is the only important factor in a game.

Sorry, I cannot do that. 

The story in a GTA game is the defining feature of it, it;s the backbone of the game's entire structure. GTA IV' story sh*ts all over GTA V's in my view. 

Indeed it does. From a great height too.

• Official General likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Screw the Moral Majority

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:51 AM

Sorry, I cannot do that. 

The story in a GTA game is the defining feature of it, it's the backbone of the game's entire structure. GTA IV' story sh*ts all over GTA V's in my view. 

And that is the reason we can't have nice things, I like a good story just as much as the next person, but when gameplay has to suffer, I would prefer a bad story than bad gameplay.

• Lucchese likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:54 AM Edited by Official General, 06 December 2013 - 02:55 AM.

Sorry, I cannot do that. 

And that is the reason we can't have nice things, I like a good story just as much as the next person, but when gameplay has to suffer, I would prefer a bad story than bad gameplay.

That's you. I like to have a nice balance of both, which GTA generally always has. That's the reason why the series is so popular in the first place if you had not noticed. It was always a more or less perfect balance of a very engaging and intriguing story/plot succesfully blended in with action-packed, and explosively fun gameplay. 

• FearTheLiving likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:00 AM Edited by Zodape, 06 December 2013 - 03:01 AM.

Sorry, I cannot do that. 

That's you. I like to have a nice balance of both, which GTA generally always has. That's the reason why the series is so popular in the first place if you had not noticed. It was always a more or less perfect balance of a very engaging and intriguing story/plot succesfully blended in with action-packed, and explosively fun gameplay.
But if you had to choose between the gratest gameplay with a sh*t story or awful gameplay with the greatest story ever told in a videogame, which one would you choose?

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Screw the Moral Majority

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:05 AM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 3 days ago.

Sorry, I cannot do that. 

Well I like the perfect combination as well (in some ways, I actually preferred GTA V's story to GTA IV's as it was different and the 3 protagonists made it so you didn't feel like an errand boy, but that is beside the point), but when I have to choose between the two, gameplay obviously wins because:

• It's a game.
  • I paid for a game, not a movie.
  • Bad cutscenes can usually be skipped, but bad gameplay can't.
  • Games are meant to be fun, not chores.

The whole story ruining gameplay issue is present outside of GTA, have a look at Mass Effect 2 for example, the story is great but the gameplay and level design are complete and utter garbage.

• Lucchese likes this

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

Bells and whistles aside, both IV and V kept me interested for the same amount of time. If anything, IV moreso... I was playing that game on and off for the past 5 years. Only played V intensely in September/October and barely touch it since.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:14 AM

I think story and gameplay should both compliment eachother. For me while I love GTA IV's story I think it has great gameplay too. On my current save I spend more time in free roam than doing the story. I can't stress enough how much I love racing in GTA IV.

• FearTheLiving likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Screw the Moral Majority

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:23 AM

I think story and gameplay should both compliment eachother. For me while I love GTA IV's story I think it has great gameplay too. On my current save I spend more time in free roam than doing the story. I can't stress enough how much I love racing in GTA IV.

It's not that GTA IV had bad gameplay, it's that it's gameplay felt stripped down, as I mentioned, the vehicle variety is complete garbage and weapon variety is below the bare minimums.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:26 AM

Vice City had well done planning?? The only plan Tommy had was "We go in the bank, we wave our guns around, and we leave very rich men" Doesn't seem like a well-thought out plan.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:29 AM

Activities: "Hey Niko, it's your cousin, lets go bowling", anyone who played GTA IV for more then 5 minutes would no this saying and know how annoying GTA IV's friendship/dating system is. The bowling and pool minigames in GTA IV were not enjoyable so it was annoying that friends always asked you to do them. GTA IV introduced the ability to watch TV in your safehouse, GTA IV featured more TV shows than GTA V, but a lot of them just showed off features which were absent from the game. The friendship system returns in GTA V but it is dumbed down for the better, yes friendship perks are gone, but it beats having your annoying friend ringing you up every 5 minutes. In my opinon, all of GTA V's activities (with the exception of Yoga) are much more enjoyable than those of GTA V.

I have disagree on this one, yeah not everybody liked the activity system in IV (me neither) but no one was forced to meet Roman or LJ to get perks. IMO is worse in V because we don't have any perks from activities so its useless... wait what activities? they deleted bowling, pool, theatre etc. but added YOGA? What Rockstar did in V is deleted activity perks system but added that f*cking managers that call you everytime you switch characters or load game so they deleted something that had potential but added managers which gives you nothing at all.

• SonOfLiberty, TOWILS, Ermac. and 1 other like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:29 AM Edited by Official General, 06 December 2013 - 03:34 AM.

Sorry, I cannot do that. 

Well I like the perfect combination as well (I actually preferred GTA V's story to GTA IV's as it was different and the 3 protagonists made it so you didn't feel like an errand boy, but that is beside the point), but when I have to choose between the two, gameplay obviously wins because:

• It's a game.
  • I paid for a game, not a movie.
  • Bad cutscenes can usually be skipped, but bad gameplay can't.
  • Games are meant to be fun, not chores.

The whole story ruining gameplay issue is present outside of GTA, have a look at Mass Effect 2 for example, the story is great but the gameplay and level design are complete and utter garbage.

Nah I can't quite agree with that. Like me and Son Of Liberty have stated already, in GTA the story and gameplay generally tend to successfully compliment each other - this is what made GTA so great in the first place. Most games traditionally did not have a great story, they just tended to focus on gameplay fun, but games like GTA pretty much changed all of that, especially when it turned 3D.

GTA is just not GTA without a good story, even with really fun gameplay. A GTA game like that would just be one with no end purpose, it would get very repetitive and tedious so fast. You remember State Of Emergency ? That game was just pure open-world, crime and mayhem, no story. It got boring and shallow real fast. GTA is is of a better standard than that. 

Referring to you what you said about GTA IV, IV had much better gameplay compared to GTA V, as far as side missions are concerned. There was a nice array of crime-related side missions to do, this was nearly none-existent in V, or nearly totally stripped of it. 

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

Vice City had well done planning?? The only plan Tommy had was "We go in the bank, we wave our guns around, and we leave very rich men" Doesn't seem like a well-thought out plan.

By planning, I meant the missions that led-up to the bank robbery:

Buying the Malibu club, recruiting Hilary King, Cam Jones and Phil Cassidy.

In Three Leaf Clover (IV) you were just thrown into it, which might make sense story wise but is no fun for the player. In V, it was too easy. Just picking your crew from a 'board' and stealing the necessary vehicles/equipment easily in under ~2 minutes. 

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:28 AM Edited by spamtackey, 06 December 2013 - 04:28 AM.

GAMEPLAY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a fair comparison, your gameplay comparison is rather lackluster don't you think? You skim over what was improved in order to make GTA V look better. 

GTA IV was not just an improvement upon the 3D universe gameplay. GTA IV was a restart from scratch. It was a new foundation. It changed everything.

The basic movement system was vastly improved with the addition of physics, grabbing ledges and moving along them, picking objects up without a prompt, and the physics integration. 

The physics alone added a ton to the game that wasn't there before. Both to the movement and to the combat. Vehicular combat in particular now has real-time reactions rather than scripted death animations. Pedestrians and even the player will ragdoll pretty realistically, but perhaps not perfectly realistically, roll over or under the vehicle as it hits them. They will react from the area they were hit when hit with a thrown object. It was a vast change from the past games.

Combat was changed in a variety of ways. The hand-to-hand while still clunky and imperfect was an improvement from San Andreas with additions like dodging and disarming. You could dynamically turn trash into a weapon by picking it up and using the physics engine. The gunplay was inspired by games like Gears and Resident Evil 5 with the over-the-shoulder camea. The cover system is dynamic and allows you to take cover pretty much anywhere, even with moving objects. This allows you to do much more than in the previous games with the combat. 

The phone, whether you liked being called or not, was a vast improvement to the previous cell phone which did not exist except to receive calls. It opened up a lot of freedom such as calling 911 or finding tidbits of story by randomly calling up your buddies after a mission to see if they had anything to say. It improved the mission variety with a semi-calendarish app to set appointments on (which were admittedly only used in two or so missions but it's still used. 

A friend system was added that was a very nice addition with some potentially major flaws. The calls in GTA IV are inconsistent, sometimes coming at frequent intervals and other times coming in long intervals. I myself usually am only called 2 or so times per hour while other people have reported annoyingly frequent calls. The friends are also very picky. While it would make sense to have one or two friends be very particular about you choosing not to hang out with them (Dwayne for instance due to his depression), most should be rather understanding when something comes up. Overall though, it was a fun addition that needed work. 

The radar was brought up to speed with the improvements made in other games like Saint's Row and gave us a line to our destination rather than just a dot. The HUD itself was shrunken to its base elements to save space and to give the game a more realistic feel. 

The police system was changed heavily from the previous games. Whether you like them or not the cops are now no longer completely mindless and following you wherever. They actually search for you, although not perfectly. We no longer needed to go to the pay n sprays to lose our wanted level. This was a huge change to the dynamic of the game and you don't even mention it in this 'fair' comparison except in a separate section. What? The police don't affect the gameplay now? You also speak of the LCPD being inescapable at 3 stars, but that's just idiotic as it's something that has been done multiple times and I'm pretty sure is required of the game. If you mean escaping in a helicopter then you're pretty much SOL because it's not hard to follow a dang helicopter with another helicopter. Use some common sense. 

Taxis are also made useful in GTA IV which is something that was sorely needed in GTA. It may be fun to travel in the games but even in GTA V I started using the taxis a lot after it got tiring. 

Driving: Whether you want to include it or not, was also vastly changed in GTA IV. The game strove for a sense of realism but didn't quite hit the mark so it ended up feeling floaty. They did, however, give us the ability to control our speed, made it so we had to slow down to make turns, and felt completely different than what we were used to. Personally, I could feel the different vehicle weights which was amazing and made the driving feel great. I won't say it's better than V but I will say that it was a step forward from San Andreas. 

Side content: Being the first of its kind, GTA IV was short on several side missions that GTA had in the past. It didn't have no side missions however. Things like drug deliveries, car theft, vigilante, QUB3D, dating, friendshipping, playing darts, playing pool, and playing bowling were all added and were nicely done. 

----

GTA V

The combat: Updated from GTA IV. This is one of the things that I really love about V. It has some flaws like all three characters essentially fighting the same way, but the fighting itself is not bad. We're not looking for Sleeping Dogs level of fighting combat in GTA. The shooting has been touched up and feels closer to Max Payne than it does GTA IV. It's a nice touch. The cover combat feels essentially untouched. The weapon variety has been improved and the ability to upgrade our weapons with flashlights and more ammo is very nice. However, we do lose the ability to pick up and throw objects, which was a dynamic element that really made GTA IV's combat fun and at times humorous. Another terrible addition, which may be fixed with patches if it hasn't already, is that enemies can headhshot you. At full health without armor I've been killed in a single hit and that is just ridiculous. It hasn't happened in a while though, so maybe it was patched. 

The health system has been changed into a bastardization of Red Dead and GTA IV's health system. It takes ideas from regenerating health-based titles without taking the regenerating health all the way. We end up to the point where most of the time we might as well not even have the regenerating health because we only take a few hits to die. It's a strange and awkward addition that sometimes left me feeling cheated. 

The basic movement has lost a bit to be honest. Pedestrians don't interact quite as much with you in terms of physics unless you full on sprint them down. Walking feels less dynamic. The actual movement has been improved from GTA IV, however, so it's not like this is a completely botched thing. Climbing has been stripped down so that we can only climb where Rockstar want us to climb. Ladders have been added so we can get to the roof, but it isn't much of a replacement for being able to find ways up to rooftops that Rockstar never intended us to use. Sprinting has taken a huge turn for the better as Rockstar gives us the best take on sprinting in GTA ever. The rest is pretty much just like GTA IV that I can tell. 

The phone is upgraded to be more modern and we have the ability to take pictures and browse the web. There are no more multi-day missions so the schedule or calendar or whatever is gone. Instead the phone can now take pictures and browse the internet to replace internet cafes. It's a nice phone system overall, though they could have added more dialog for it and the dial pad could be more obvious. 

The friends system has also been dumbed down to its bare minimum. Rockstar didn't fix anything about it in favor of removing everything but the activities themselves. Friends offer no reward anymore and don't like/dislike you. You can just choose to hang out when you want to and they never call you. While we don't want calls every 5 minutes, it was a nice touch to get a call every now and then so actually improving this would have been the preferred route. Especially since we no longer can earn any neat features from it. 

The radar has been made square and 3D. It's a nice change but it's still a mini-map with the same basic features as GTA IV's. The visuals are a nice change though and the square version shows more of the city, so it's definitely a functional change. Feature-wise, though, it's basically the same. Speaking of the map, the actual map now allows you to mark places of interest, which is a nice feature. 

The police system has been reworked in ways that both are nice and infuriate me. For starters, it takes too long for them to stop hunting you, leading to moments where they catch you at what feels like the last second and you have to start the whole chase over again. The police themselves are almost too good of a shot. Combine this with that they still have some elements of x-ray vision from GTA IV and can spot you in an area they have no business seeing you in (like while standing on top of the covering of the gas station and they're under the gas station and see you without a helicopter). I have only ever escaped above 4 stars once due to the difficulty. I'm not saying they're going to be difficult for everyone, but I found them more difficult. It's also better to take the word of the majority than your own experience in this case. "I didn't experience it so it's obviously the way I see it!" is not a fair comparison. If a lot of people say GTA V's cops are harder than IV's and are too hard then maybe you just sucked at IV and are better at V while everyone else is the opposite? 

Taxi's in GTA V are worse than the ones in GTA IV. In IV they were frequent likely due to NYC having more cabs than LA, however if you needed to call for one it would instantly appear on the mini-map and you could work your way towards it. In GTA V they don't show up on the mini-map until they stop and beep for you to get in, so you end up having to wait around for a surprisingly long period of time for the cab to show up and sometimes they don't show up at all (which I think could happen in GTA IV too). While I do like that the default button press is now used to ride the taxis, I don't see why they stepped back in seeing it when requesting it. 

Driving in GTA V has been overhauled to be more like San Andreas, but still retains plenty of feeling from IV. It feels almost like we traded one side of the coin for the other, as the cars don't feel consistent in weight. While I could always tell the difference between a sports car and a normal car in IV, in V sometimes a normal looking car feels like a sports car or a large truck feels like a small pickup. I should not be able to chase a fast train in a big truck. Why do sports cars get better off-road performance than off-road vehicles? There are a lot of things that could be improved in V's driving. However, it is still fun driving, so it's not necessarily bad. 

Side content: Oddly, GTA V deletes pretty much all of IV's side content, except darts, and replaces it with its own. We now have tennis and golf, we can still take friends out but it's been made more pointless, we can buy properties (which feels a little rushed), there are parachuting, rampages, flight school, and bounties. What is kinda striking is that while GTA IV was setting up the basic gameplay and has reason to be scarce or at least simpler with its side content, a lot of the side content in GTA V is shallow as the content in San Andreas. The properties feel rushed and there are only 4 bounties and 4 or 5 rampages. Given all the time that GTA V had to improve upon GTA IV and to add new things, it just seems lackluster. Not that the side activites are not fun, they're just not of the same quality that I was expecting from GTA IV. What little IV did was done very well and what big things GTA V did were either done before (Base jumping from TBOGT so Rockstar had that made in 2009) or were done awfully (properties are both annoying and IMO more intrusive than the friends mechanic in GTA IV). Overall, it's still strong in this area but in a different way.

VEHICLE VARIETY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GTA V definitely has a lot more variety to the vehicles, but IV was the first of its kind so it's kind of like saying "Why didn't GTA III have the variety of San Andreas?" It's not a huge victory and the fact they got rid of any vehicles from GTA IV hinders that victory. Even if it has better variety there was no reason to get rid of stuff from GTA IV. 

WEAPONS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You really, really, really like wording your post to paint IV in the harshest of light. Where is the fairness in your comparison? GTA IV set up the basics for the weapons and it left it up to the sequels to bring the bigger and better weapons. Just like GTA III did. After four years from the expansions of GTA IV, the least we can expect from V is more weapon variety. It's not a massive victory. V is, after all, the successor.

Personally, I can't have fun free roaming in GTA V even with these weapons because the police system is too damn annoying and the health system is damn annoying and the lack of basic features from iV is annoying. What IV got right wasn't the additional gameplay features but the basic gameplay. That's also kinda where GTA V messed up for me. 

Story: You can't ignore the story just because you want to. This is a fair comparison after all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GTA IV and GTA V are two entirely different kinds of stories. 

GTA IV is a slower story focusing more on the harshness of life and crime. At times it feels too slow in that Niko doesn't really do a lot of searching for his goal, but it features a large variety of interesting characters and moments that sometimes reflects real life too closely. It's a wonderful and yet somewhat flawed story that sometimes goes against the game its part of and other times embodies it. I haven't found many better stories in gaming than GTA IV. TLAD was a weak attempt that I felt was rushed and should have been longer so I would actually get attached to the characters and TBOGT just didn't even seem to try and felt like Rockstar just gave up and wrote whatever. 

For me, GTA IV is THE game to turn to if I want to enjoy a good story. 

GTA V is a fast paced action comedy. If GTA IV is the "Godfather of gaming"[1] then GTA V is the Rush Hour done with the villains as the main characters. It has a variety of darker moments, but the overall tone of GTA V is fun, fun, fun. Not over-the-top wacky fun like Saint's Row 4 but just a pure kind of fun that you can't get by going overboard. What's better is that it retains a lot of the depth that GTA IV introduced without sacrificing this fun. It's a breath of fresh air and while it's not perfect, it's something different and something fun. 

[1]: http://www.vulture.c...nd_theft_a.html (A GameInformer critic compared playing it to seeing a review screening of The Godfather) 

CONCLUSION
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the end both games have different strengths and weaknesses. GTA V is disappointing not because it is a bad game but because it could have been... no should have been so much more. GTA IV was the GTA III of the HD era, which gives it a fair excuse for a lot of its problems. The expansions then improved the gameplay experience slightly, giving Rockstar even better of a base to build off of, and GTA V should have taken good advantage of that. Instead it feels like a missed opportunity. Rockstar seemed to mess with things that didn't need messing with, stripped down features instead of fixing them, and threw in as much stuff as they could to please the people who wanted more stuff in GTA IV. 

What GTA V really feels like is a game that they started out of love, with big ideas, and finished out of requirement. Next-gen probbaly forced their hand to rush GTA V to the market, which shouldn't have happened after four years of work. Maybe it was GTA:O but I doubt it. Maybe Rockstar ran into problems that they couldn't fix, but we don't know. Maybe they didn't start working on it until late due to the desire to plan everything out, but we can't fix that. 

Neither game is bad. Neither game is perfect. What you desire out of your game will drive what you feel. I find the core mechanics of GTA IV to be plain fun and can just jump in and play it without needing the extras of V. For me, V is more boring because I don't like the basic mechanics as much. If you need miniguns and stickybombs then GTA V will likely be your preference.
  • SonOfLiberty, B Dawg, Rockwheels and 5 others like this

nobum62
  • nobum62

douchebag who owns a chromed adder

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:31 AM

if you had to choose between the gratest gameplay with a sh*t story or awful gameplay with the greatest story ever told in a videogame, which one would you choose?

well i don't want to be watching a movie and i don't want to be having a sh*t story.

i need both things in a game

theregomatt
  • theregomatt

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:00 AM

GTA4 was better at physics ( i dont why they downgraded ) made the game funny and fun

Driving ( gta 5 feels like arcade .. tooo easy )

Fighting ( gta 5 you just tap circle or b)

now gta 5 has better weapons like up to 5 for each category & customizable... with secret hidden weapons

funner cheats

more cars with variey and bmx 

customizable cars

i dont care about abilities but ill ad

variety heli's and planes

and some more other stuff i need to find out.. just finished story.

fac316
  • fac316

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

Oh my god did I hate the scouting missions, I wish Lester Couldve gotten the details for you (for 20% you think he would). After playing IV for a while, it does have its own charm. The friendship system in V is laughable to IV's. And i wish the motorcycle controls/Gang wars were back from TLaD/ Clubs from BoGT. The problem I had with V's story was it felt rushed.

• kvic likes this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:58 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 06 December 2013 - 04:16 PM.

Hey OP, great post! In response to what you said here:

".....Activities: "Hey Niko, it's your cousin, lets go bowling", anyone who played GTA IV for more then 5 minutes would no this saying and know how annoying GTA IV's friendship/dating system is...."

I agree the GTA IV friendship/dating mechanics were flawed and V is a definite improvement.  But if you play GTAO, this doesn't turn out to be true.  You still get harassing phone calls from your phone contacts who all wonder why you don't call them to do missions? :lol: IMO, Dom and Brucie in particular have to be the most annoying stalkers in the bunch. :lol:

Anyhow, as irritating as dating was in IV, I still think R* needs to bring this feature back. Except this time, you

1. receive 0 phone calls from NPC contacts that you add to your phone if you choose not to call them or hang out in the future. i.e. make their like bar decay to zero without them ever calling you to improve the relationship bar. Whenever this like bar = 0, they automatically get dropped from your phone as a contact.  But you always have the option to add them back later after a cooling period.

2. whenever you call an NPC  (either for a friendship or romantic date), there would be a random chance they would decline your request.  This is regardless of what extent their like bar is at. Some an NPC could like you at 100% but you would still be declined. This is just to keep things interesting.

3. dating activities should NOT count toward completion. Making stuff like this compulsory detracts from the fun of the date just like in GTA 4. :/

4. you should be able to go online to a dating website like LifeInvader using your smart phone & make up to 10 dating (male or female) contacts. Just like you could back in GTA IV.

5. Changing an NPC relationship from friendly to romantic contact.  If you chose to spend a lot of time hanging out with some specific and hot looking NPC phone contacts, then once their like bar exceeds 50% you should have the option to change your relationship with them as a romantic contact.

6. Optional sandbox activities to improve dating game mechanicIf you chose to keep dating them romantically, you should be able to buy stuff (like roses, chocolates to even clothing or cars! :santa: ) at stores and offer them gifts to increase their like bar. Several sex stores exist in SA. But why the hell can't you buy anything in them?

7. NPC Booty calls for added variety.  If the like bar reaches 80%, then you unlock the option to have booty calls whenever you want them. This is in addition to any booty calls contacts you add from strippers btw. Also note, the more $$$$ the gift, the faster the like bar will jump in a given period of time.  So a real hot NPC you just met on LIfeInvader and wanted to make them like you immediately, then add them to your contact list. Before the date, change their like bar from 0% to 80% in the couple of seconds it takes you to go online on your smart phone and gift them say.....an expensive super vehicle? Or even a sailboat :lol:  Then go out on a date some time later for a guaranteed booty call contact. :lol:

8. Optional achievement/Trophy for those gamers who are achievement goal oriented. Add an achievement to become a Player but don't make it necessary for game completion.  Make it possible to have 10 gf/bf NPC contacts in addtition to 2-5 stripper contacts.  If you successfully maintain a 90%+ like rating of ALL 10 NPCs you're dating AND have a 100% like for ALL 5 strippers from booty calls then this should unlock the ultimate player achievement---the Gimp Suit.  :cool:

9. Add a SR3 style purple dildo to the achievement in 7 which you can use as a melee weapon. But this is only if you're using the services of 10+ hookers at the same time :lol: Once again, several sex stores exist in SA. Booty calls and hookers also exist in SA. So why the hell can't you buy anything in them for those street prostitute sessions? Or for booty calls with dates?

10.  R* should make ALL activities on the map available for friendship and romantic dates.  I can't tell you how annoyingly repetitive and dull freindship dates were with any of the protags. Simply because there were so few things to do on the dates. Going to bars, movie theaters (to watch the same limited movie selection) etc.  Why the hell can't you group date doing

1. amusement rides on the pier?

2. go golfing, playing tennis, darts, or arm wrestling?

3. just walk to the appropriate marker and do sporting activities like base jumping, racing water craft at the beach, do flying challenges or land vehicle races with your dates? Instead of competing against random peds in these mission markers, your protag would be competing against their dates.

They also need to bring back all the GTA IV buddy/dating activities like pool, bowling, and that comedy club. Add SA style eating indoors at restaurants, and social mini games like dancing.

Finally, if you get to 80%+ like on a romantic date, you should have the option to have SA style hot coffee in your safe house. :devil:

And what you said about the law enforcement system:

Police: prefer the GTA 5 system over GTA 4 as you described. But with minor tweaks.  If I snipe a solo cop under the cover of night in the wilderness on Mt. Chilliad, I shouldn't get an automatic 3 star level. Same for peds.  If no other peds/cops are within the vicinity, then the game shouldn't register it.  Cops shooting ability should be compatible with wanted level as well.  This would increase the probability you would escape more for low level crimes. So

A 1 star = cops on foot shooting at you with 20% accuracy = 80% chance of you getting away with low level crimes like mugging peds, robbing them at ATMs, jacking cars (without killing the ped) etc.

A 2 star = cops on foot and/or on motorbike pursuit with 40% accuracy = 60% chance of you escaping for more serious crimes like robbing convenience stores or killing any  peds while committing crimes above.

A 3 star = 2 star level cop pursuit with the assistance of police cruisers at 60% accuracy = 40% chance you'll escape.  Crimes like killing a convenience store clerk in a robbery or shooting a cop should automatically trigger this level.

A 4 star = 3 star level cop pursuit plus helo surveillance assistance (no snipers on helo though). Cops on ground would shoot at 80% accuracy and be extremely aggressive the way they are for 1 star wanted level now.  This would = 20% chance you'd escape since you would have 3 star level cop pursuit on your ass. But now, the helos add SWAT snipers with GTAO level survival game accuracy. So you would literally have to spend time driving off road to lose the heat.

A 5 star level = cyberspace HELL.  Full SWAT with hunter style choppers which have a 100% lazer accuracy in shooting skill.  Cops all have best body armor. But to be fair, the police dispatch only knows where you are 90% of the time.  So if you spend a lot of time breaking the cop AI line of sight (like frequently turning corners, driving off road in the mountains, or driving/hiding in tunnels, alley ways, and under bridges etc) then this would increase your 10% odds of beating the wanted level.

BBQ RIBS
  • BBQ RIBS

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

Your totally wrong about the police maverick.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

OP, good comparison.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:24 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 06 December 2013 - 04:31 PM.

Playing GTA IV after V has actually made me appreciate it more. There's still stuff to do after the story like vigilante missions, drug deals for Jacob, doing tasks for strangers and stealing cars. Even though it didn't have things like car customisation, planes, tanks, purchasable property or other things that previous games and V had, it was a great effort considering they started from scratch with a new engine. While V was a triumph, it felt like they took two huge steps forward and one step back, as if they were trying too hard to please people who hated IV.

While I can understand why IV was shallow and boring for some, I felt it was a somewhat better effort than V, which properly delivered a bit less on expectations since Rockstar North were also working on Agent at the time, and wanted to get a new GTA title out ASAP.

• Deadly Target and JustOneMonth like this

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

The shooting mechanics is horrible. It's to fluid, and the health regeneration system is even more horrible. I tend not to play shooters with health regeneration systems.

• B Dawg likes this

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Lester's Assassinations are apart of the mission count while they have nothing to do with the story.

*L's missions do not count to the 69.(what a number) and i think it is listed as a mission because Lester is not a stranger, but he could be a freak  and not a freak.

If you do them after the story, it goes after 70, 75, etc.

IV had short missions too, just like the infamous dating mission and the cousins bellic, wich take less time then an assassination mission. It is also cool that we can organize before them, like how in the first one you can use a silenced sniper and get off, no wanted. If you do it without, wanted, but a weird thing: to really do it, you need to shoot from the stealth mode, so we do use it for something.

OT: I really wanted vigilante, just as a reminder. It was cool and imagine sniping gangs, it used all the map.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

Quest for 100%

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

Lester's assassination missions do count to the 69.

aFM8rJX.jpg

My main gripe with the missions in V is not only the fact that there are so little of them, but the fact that they didn't bother to use the switching mechanic to it's fullest potential imo. Most of the switching involved getting a different vantage point without actually having to go there manually. Marriage Counseling was a huge cocktease. When Michael was driving away from Madrazo's goons and I was popping off shots as Franklin, I was like "damn, I can't wait to do this in a larger mission, like maybe during the getaway of a heist or better yet during freeroam". But as we all know, it isn't possible during freeroam and this sort of angle never comes up in a mission again. Another missed opportunity.

Empty World
  • Empty World

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

teh gta 4 suks and gta 5 roks, your welcome

• Deadly Target likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users