Photo

Would missions within free roam work?

54 replies to this topic
Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

I was just thinking how cool it would be if the jobs took place within the same free roam lobby. Not everyone would have to take part but they could choose to interfere somehow if they wanted to. Idk just think it would be more dynamic, you got to different parts of the map and you see people doing different stuff.

Sangers
  • Sangers

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

For starters, this would probably drive people to do missions in invite only lobbies as griefers would have a field day making it impossible to finish missions. Alot of missions are hard enough as it is, particularly the first few times you do them and don't know what's going on.

Secondly, this means that you can only do missions with people in the same lobby as you or you all have to be transported to the same lobby together before the mission starts. So you would see craploads of groups of people disappearing from lobbies all over the shop.

In short. No.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

Yeah just did the math on the second point, wouldn't work out.

adoreonerr
  • adoreonerr

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

yes it would work, look at mmo's

only thing is people shouldnt be on the map and there should be more like 30-40 ppl per server

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

Yeah thats sorta what I mean, it won't work with our current system. Also other players not involved with the job shouldn't even know what job you are doing unless you invite them, so it should be harder for them to grief. 

This is off topic but I was reading the daily news on the internet online, and it was about Martins house being pulled down. Thought GTAO was before GTAV story?

adoreonerr
  • adoreonerr

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

Yeah thats sorta what I mean, it won't work with our current system. Also other players not involved with the job shouldn't even know what job you are doing unless you invite them, so it should be harder for them to grief. 

This is off topic but I was reading the daily news on the internet online, and it was about Martins house being pulled down. Thought GTAO was before GTAV story?

whoaaa, future telling right there!

JordanV
  • JordanV

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

Love the idea,

Martins house gets pulled down by franklin and Michael in the campaign.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

Love the idea,

Martins house gets pulled down by franklin and Michael in the campaign.

I know, but that shouldn't be in GTAO news if GTAO is before the story, and whats more, you could be at Martins house in GTAO reading that news story. 

R* seriously need to get their f*cking sh*t together this is the last straw.

Doofey
  • Doofey

Old Skool, you know it!

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

Well, Gang Attacks, Simeons Car list, crate drops and robbing armored trucks/stores are essentially the very basic concept of mini freeroam missions. Add a little bit more complexity to that and you basically have a full blown freeroam mission.

Hell, some of the actual missions are less complex than some things in freeroam. Martins mission where you kill the laywer and return the evidence to him for example. There is more skill and strategy involved in Gang Attacks than that. Not by much, but at least a Gang Attack doesn't have a long load time.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

Instead of making interference griefing, make the interference an anticipated part of the game and work it into the design. Then just let everyone know what mission is taking place, like the Simeon high-priority car, or the crate drops, etc. The difference here is that instead of being FFA, it'd break down into two teams: people trying to complete the objective, and people trying to stop them. Seems like it'd be fun.

The more stuff to do in free roam, the better.

Semperfiman550
  • Semperfiman550

The Dark Below

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

Spend 10 minute fighting through NPCs to grab a van than another few minutes to get to destination. Once you arrive you're met with a guy hidden my Lester who just RPGs the van... yea thats a great idea.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Spend 10 minute fighting through NPCs to grab a van than another few minutes to get to destination. Once you arrive you're met with a guy hidden my Lester who just RPGs the van... yea thats a great idea.

How does he even know you are going there? Like I said players won't know what mission you are doing unless you invite them or something like that.

Also it only works 60 seconds, you could have seen him arrive there if you are really that paranoid.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:15 AM Edited by AzraelX, 05 December 2013 - 09:15 AM.

But that sounds lame.

They could just design the missions so it's not "deliver this incredibly vulnerable van somewhere". That sounds like Simeon's deal anyways.

The missions can be designed in any way they want, including those which don't lend themselves so easily to ambushes.

• adoreonerr likes this

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

What about Land Grabs like in RDR?

One player starts holding a base and the other players are free to join and take over the base. The person holding the base when the time goes out, gets the money.

That worked fine in RDR, and was a lot of fun!

• z0etr0pe likes this

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

One player starts holding a base and the other players are free to join and take over the base. The person holding the base when the time goes out, gets the money.

That's actually not a bad idea.

They could designate this base by a big green circle, and players could be rewarded with cash, RP, and high level weapons from some kind of crate that is in the circle when the timer runs out.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

I can just see it now...

"Player ImmaNoobXXXChrome4EVA has started the mission 'Driving Miss Daisy'."

Everyone in the lobby knows where "Miss Daisy" is waiting for him, so by the time he gets there he can't actually see Miss Daisy in her car because it's carpeted with sticky bombs.

No thanks.  There are already team v team missions anyway.  I'd rather just more of them.

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:53 AM Edited by BuyMeTheMoon, 05 December 2013 - 09:53 AM.

They could designate this base by a big green circle, and players could be rewarded with cash, RP, and high level weapons from some kind of crate that is in the circle when the timer runs out.

Yes that could have worked! And it's that kind of mission you can participate in right away, without all the waiting in lobbies and stuff. And you can just drive away it you get tired of it. Could be a nice addition to free roam :)

z0etr0pe
  • z0etr0pe

Grand Theft Horse

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

i agree that it's a good idea (playing gtao makes me appreciate what a masterpiece rdr was), but maybe a "big green circle" wouldn't be the best option, as you'd have half a dozen buzzards showing up within 30 seconds thinking it is a normal crate drop, missiles blaring and causing all hell.  :sigh:

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

I can just see it now...

"Player ImmaNoobXXXChrome4EVA has started the mission 'Driving Miss Daisy'."

Everyone in the lobby knows where "Miss Daisy" is waiting for him, so by the time he gets there he can't actually see Miss Daisy in her car because it's carpeted with sticky bombs.

No thanks.  There are already team v team missions anyway.  I'd rather just more of them.

I sai

i agree that it's a good idea (playing gtao makes me appreciate what a masterpiece rdr was), but maybe a "big green circle" wouldn't be the best option, as you'd have half a dozen buzzards showing up within 30 seconds thinking it is a normal crate drop, missiles blaring and causing all hell.  :sigh:

Not sure if.... wtf?

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

What about an orange circle?

z0etr0pe
  • z0etr0pe

Grand Theft Horse

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

sure, but what if people mistake my orange adder as a land grab base?  :blink:

adder2.jpg

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

sure, but what if people mistake my orange adder as a land grab base?  :blink:

adder2.jpg

Ah, sh*t you're right.. Then I got nothing

• z0etr0pe likes this

EliteGamer
  • EliteGamer

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

Bad idea for a couple of reasons.

1) The game already has difficulty spawning enough stuff in busy free-roams (look how few cars are on the road, or look at the despawning issue), without adding additional mission assets. I don't think the game is capable of running a bunch of missions inside free-roam, well maybe it could run 1 or 2 missions (maybe more for simple missions)... but I don't think that's enough missions to cater to every player in a session.

2) Missions aren't balanced around interference from other players. You only get rewarded if you win the mission but it would be extremely easy for an interfering player to fail the mission for you. The lives system and having a huge number of missions based around retrieving an easily-destroyed vehicle and reusing the same drop-off zone across many missions would make it very easy to ruin people's missions. Losing a HP I/E because another player destroyed it is annoying, losing "Docks to Stocks II" because another player blew up the cargobob would be 10 times worse. I also think it would be very difficult to balance extra rewards depending on player interference.

3) The game has no party system or friendly system. If you team up in a mission you don't autolock each other... and I don't think you get friendly fire for bullets (but you can definitely kill each other with collision damage and explosions). If you teamed up in free-roam you would run the risk of accidentally killing each other (particularly with the automatic melee attack). This might also make it difficult to give out fair rewards for missions.

4) Area resuse would be a problem. I mean I can think of 5 missions that use the military base, and that's a place where players might be naturally anyway.

I definitely agree that there should be bigger and better things to do in free-roam, but I don't think moving co-op missions into free-roam would work. A lot of the problems are not insurmountable but sorting the workarounds and rebalances would be so complicated that they might as well start from scratch for extra free roam activities.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

Im not suggesting to simply copy and paste the missions to free roam, im suggesting this is how it should have been from the start.

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

besides the already mentioned gang attacks, simeon vehicles and the crates, the land grab idea sounds incredible, they should definitely add that.

• BuyMeTheMoon likes this

InternetBully
  • InternetBully

u wot m8?

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Dat griefin...

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

This is a bit OT since it would involve a closed-session mission, but this game is seriously lacking without CTF.  I know it's old school and has been in all games, but there's a reason for that.... because it's awesome!

• AzraelX likes this

rlr149
  • rlr149

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

some form of it should be put in crew sessions imo, payment going to all crew members on the winning side. ie: capture the container, 1 cargo container, can be moved via cargobob or road, crew 1 has to take it to point A, crew 2 to point B, whoever gets it to their teams point gives the whole crew(in session) a payout.

in normal FR though i can't see what the benefit would be to the player not on the mission, theres no 'win condition' for them. how would the game determine a payment for them etc.

dlow
  • dlow

Just an Old Man

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

I like the idea of Missions in Freemode, but I also understand the comments about people grieving ..... what IF we could select the mission then invite only the people we want ,  the people invited will know what is going on, while the other players in the lobby do not ... or simply remove the players DOT that is taking part in the mission(the players in the mission go off radar so the other players not taking part cant see them)

ACUK82
  • ACUK82

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:19 PM Edited by ACUK82, 05 December 2013 - 01:20 PM.

Imagine a crew planning a heist but while making their escape they get ambushed by a car full off rival crew who take the money for themselves.

Free roam missions could be epic. Once a mission is started your blip should vanish from the radar to give you some protection from griefers.

EDIT: just seen the post above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users