Quantcast

» «
Photo

Video Game Awards coming 12/7. Vote Now

35 replies to this topic

Poll: What game should win Game of the Year? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Game of the Year?

1. Bioshock Infinite (1 votes [1.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

2. Grand Theft Auto V (42 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

3. Super Mario World 3D (2 votes [3.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

4. The Last of Us (13 votes [21.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.67%

5. Tomb Raider (2 votes [3.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote
HammerLarry
  • HammerLarry

Boss member

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:09 AM Edited by HammerLarry, 05 December 2013 - 06:11 AM.

America's Video Game Awards is airing in 3 days. It's time for all gamers to unite, and vote on which game should win the Game of the Year award.

Here's the link, so you guys can vote:
http://www.spike.com...ame-of-the-year

but for the sake of this community, vote on the poll and tell us why you chose your choice (if it wasn't GTA V)

I chose GTA V, i mean cmon... its GTA.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:13 AM

The Last of Us, I mean c'mon... it's The Last of Us.

• Lee Everett, Fuquan and xNinjaStarfishx like this

AscendantWyvern
  • AscendantWyvern

Playa

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:17 AM

pretty much this, I dont have a ps3 and I know how awesome the game was.

• WinterEdit likes this

HammerLarry
  • HammerLarry

Boss member

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:35 AM Edited by HammerLarry, 05 December 2013 - 06:38 AM.

what? why?

haven't you played GTA?
especially Online?

its like a bunch of games in one. who doesn't like dirt bike racing or stealing the weed or coke? cmon.

the last of us is a movie, not a game.
the online aspect is boring, i mean i nod off to sleep watching my brother play.

gta online is worth watching, i mean my parents rather watch me play that than... the ass is us.

cmon. you got me all butt hurt

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

Last of Us?

what a joke

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:54 AM Edited by WinterEdit, 05 December 2013 - 06:56 AM.

what? why?

haven't you played GTA?
especially Online?

its like a bunch of games in one. who doesn't like dirt bike racing or stealing the weed or coke? cmon.

the online aspect is boring, i mean i nod off to sleep watching my brother play.

gta online is worth watching, i mean my parents rather watch me play that than... the ass is us.

Alright, so you want me, a trained The Last of Us defender in YouTube comments since June 2013 to tell you why it should be GotY?

Okay.

First off: You can not directly compare GTA V and The Last of Us. GTA is open-world and The Last of Us is linear. If open-world (and the extremely likely chance of having more stuff to do in the open-world game) games always won GotY just because they are open-world, the whole voting system would be biased. For example, in 2009, Uncharted 2 won the GotY. Even though there were open-world games with stuff to do, such as Batman: Arkham Asylum or Assassin's Creed 2.

(Hold on while I reply to this fool)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last of Us?

what a joke

Please explain why do you think one of the greatest linear games (ever) is a joke. If you can't, get out.

(okay, I am back)

Secondly, it's a new IP (= Intellectual Property; basically a new game/franchise) instead of a continued franchise, like GTA. We didn't know what to expect from The Last of Us and it still blew everyone away... well everyone who is not a blind fanboy of whatever game they favor instead. Mainly talking about CoD-fanboys.

Finally... I look at the story. It's something which nearly every game has, and it's something what every game should have (unless they are something like Minecraft). It's one of the key components of a game, among with gameplay, graphics, voice acting etc. And I have to say The Last of Us's story was better to GTA V's. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. And remember: it's an opinion, like are the GotY awards.

If the GotY is given with community votes, I fear GTA will win because of a larger player-base.

If the GotY is given with judge votes, The Last of Us has more even chance.

• Fuquan likes this

AscendantWyvern
  • AscendantWyvern

Playa

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

what? why?

haven't you played GTA?
especially Online?

I wont deny that GTA V is a fantastic game, however the experience was limited by a stale story and numerous bugs. Last of Us provided a powerful experience, one that immersed the audience in this new-old world and really gave a sense that these characters you are spending time with are actual people. Even LoU multiplayer provided a unique outlook on PvP multiplayer. Is Online better than LoU's multiplayer? Yes. However, a Game of the Year isn't judged by multiplayer alone, and for that, Last of Us provides the most enriching experience to those who played it, and the most enjoyable experience to those who watched it. 

• WinterEdit likes this

Fuquan
  • Fuquan

Brucie still owes me

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

I have to agree on this one. I was actually looking forward to GTAV after I platinumed The Last of Us, but I was kind of disappointed (especially with GTA Online).

Even though I LOVED the way it felt to lay as Michael, Franklin and Trevor (his introduction was such a shock that I had to get used to this strange feeling of playing an asshole, but as the story progressed he became more bearable), they left so many things only half-baked, The relation between T and M was funny, but I expected something more on the lines of a mutual understanding, which simply didn't happen in the end. And talking about the end... WTF?! We just did a huuuuge heist with millions of money which went perfect and - oh by the way, could we not simply kill off all 4 guys that are bothering us in one mission which isn't even hard? After that it was just a retirement simulator with less to do than GTA San Andreas. I expected more of this.

So about Online: The trailer promised heists and the content creator and those were the things I was looking for... An ever growing online experience which brings me lots of fun with my friends - well it didn't to this amount. "Get me this coke", "Steal this car", and albeit the missions get kind of interesting later, those stuff killed it for me. I mostly don't care about texts I receive.

The Last of Us was EVERYTHING they promised and more. The SP was overwhelming to the extend that I had to take short breaks in between just to think about the stuff that happened. MP was fun, though a bit repetitive. I didn't care about the lack of DLCs everybody cried over. The ONLY minus was the huge amount of checkpoints which are not fitting for such a survival game. Then again, who knows how angry I would have gotten if I had to start over completely every time (looking in Max Payne's direction).

This is why for me The Last of Us should be GotY.

iTz-JoNeSy
  • iTz-JoNeSy

I'm cool me.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'll be voting for none of them. GTA V doesn't deserve it and the rest I haven't played. :)

ThePeskyCrow
  • ThePeskyCrow

:v

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

what? why?

haven't you played GTA?
especially Online?

Alright, so you want me, a trained The Last of Us defender in YouTube comments since June 2013 to tell you why it should be GotY?

Okay.

First off: You can not directly compare GTA V and The Last of Us. GTA is open-world and The Last of Us is linear. If open-world (and the extremely likely chance of having more stuff to do in the open-world game) games always won GotY just because they are open-world, the whole voting system would be biased. For example, in 2009, Uncharted 2 won the GotY. Even though there were open-world games with stuff to do, such as Batman: Arkham Asylum or Assassin's Creed 2.

(Hold on while I reply to this fool)

Last of Us?

what a joke

Please explain why do you think one of the greatest linear games (ever) is a joke. If you can't, get out.

(okay, I am back)

Secondly, it's a new IP (= Intellectual Property; basically a new game/franchise) instead of a continued franchise, like GTA. We didn't know what to expect from The Last of Us and it still blew everyone away... well everyone who is not a blind fanboy of whatever game they favor instead. Mainly talking about CoD-fanboys.

Finally... I look at the story. It's something which nearly every game has, and it's something what every game should have (unless they are something like Minecraft). It's one of the key components of a game, among with gameplay, graphics, voice acting etc. And I have to say The Last of Us's story was better to GTA V's. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. And remember: it's an opinion, like are the GotY awards.

If the GotY is given with community votes, I fear GTA will win because of a larger player-base.

If the GotY is given with judge votes, The Last of Us has more even chance.

This Sounds Like A Whole Lotta Fan Boy To Me :v

ReconzVenture
  • ReconzVenture

Eccentric Raver

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

GTA V reeeeeeeaaaallly doesn't deserve GOTY.

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homie

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

The Last of Us will win GOTY from the VGA's. That's just how it is, GTA never wins.

A Northern German
  • A Northern German

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:22 PM Edited by Preusse, 05 December 2013 - 12:24 PM.

I really like Bioshock Infinite and I think The Last of Us is a great game too. Wish I had a PS3. Since my childhood I like Mario, but I don't play those games anymore. Never cared for Tomb Raider.

My vote goes to GTA 5 (+ Online). It gave me the most hours of fun.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:23 PM Edited by WinterEdit, 05 December 2013 - 12:23 PM.

The Last of Us will win GOTY from the VGA's. That's just how it is, GTA never wins.

*cough* GTA IV in 2008?

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

This is like going to an iPhone forum and posting this poll...

Which is better?

• iPhone
  • Android
  • Windows Phone
  • Lolberry

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

This is like going to an iPhone forum and posting this poll...

Which is better?

• iPhone
  • Android
  • Windows Phone
  • Lolberry

Lolberry.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:28 PM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 05 December 2013 - 12:28 PM.

Also, Y U NO pick games that are on multiple platforms?  We're not all PStree owners here.  Some of us have tree-fiddy.  (Last of us - PStree exclusive)

screwloose88
  • screwloose88

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

tho the last of us was pretty epic, gta5 was on ps3 and xbox and will win hands down.

id still say gta over the last of us.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:30 PM Edited by WinterEdit, 05 December 2013 - 12:31 PM.

Also, Y U NO pick games that are on multiple platforms?  We're not all PStree owners here.  Some of us have tree-fiddy.  (Last of us - PStree exclusive)

Well it wouldn't be fair to not include games that are exclusives. :p

tho the last of us was pretty epic, gta5 was on ps3 and xbox and will win hands down.

id still say gta over the last of us.

Actually...

It is not by user votes. Sure, there is a community-selected Game of the Year (which the voting gives), but the main GOTY is given by ~20 judges from different sites like IGN, Polygon etc.

This is to prevent unfair advantage for multi-platform games.

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:32 PM Edited by GTA4 Niko Bellic, 05 December 2013 - 12:35 PM.

I chose The Last of Us. That game truly shocked me, the story was AMAZING. While the story for GTA V was GOOD, it wasn't as great as The Last of Us. When I look at that game (TLoU), I just see pure art. The graphics are top notch, the story is believable and great (not over the top), there was beautiful character developments - where you actually cared about the characters. Hell you even cared about the minor characters, the ones you only see 1-4 times in the entire game.

That game was just amazing. Yes GTA is great, yes, I've owned all GTA titles, yes this is a GTAForums. But when you speak "Game of the Year", the games that deserves that is a game that brought creativity to the table and not something recycled. GTA V is recycled. Same mechanics, new features. TLoU - not recycled. GTA IV - not recycled. GTA III - not recycled. GTA 1 - not recycled. GTA V - yes, recycled. It's still a fun and amazing game though.

If anything GTA IV deserves Game of The Year for the Grand Theft Auto series. Sadly not V.

• WinterEdit likes this

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

TROLLING DOES NOT EXIST IF YOU ARE STRONG.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

Last of Us was a terrible game. Terrible story, terrible graphics...empty, phony characters.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

Last of Us was a terrible game. Terrible story, terrible graphics...empty, phony characters.

0/10, troll harder.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

Just my opinion...not trolling.

InternetBully
  • InternetBully

u wot m8?

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

The croods : Prehistoric Party.

Dat gameplay...

028A016D5728042-c2-photo-oYToxOntzOjE6In

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

Could you expand on this? Because I'm actually interested in your opinion.

• WinterEdit likes this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

This would be AWESOME if you knew someone called "Add Name"

http://www.ebay.co.u...h-/181203142656

InternetBully
  • InternetBully

u wot m8?

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Personally I kinda agree with ugotsmoked.

Yeah the graphics were good and the story was kinda nice. But there is nothing revolutionary about TLoU.

The gameplay was very mediocre at best, it's nothing we haven't seen before. Actually it was rather boring in terms of strict gameplay : either you cleared the entire level sneaking and spamming the super hearing sense OR you find cover and start shooting til everyone is dead, since the entire zone will rush to you.

The story, like I said, was pleasant but nothing that hasn't been overly explored already in the post-apocalypse fiction genre and the while the graphics are amazing...we've already seen equally beautiful games since Crysis ever came out and showed the rest of the developers how it's done.

It IS a good game, because the story and acting was well-performed, and visually it is stunning. But there isn't one bit of it that's revolutionary to me. Not saying that every game to win  GOTY awards has to be revolutionary, but surely there has to be something special, something that evolved, if only slightly.

I can't see that in TLoU. Good flick, but nothing stellar.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Yeah the graphics were good and the story was kinda nice. But there is nothing revolutionary about TLoU.

The gameplay was very mediocre at best, it's nothing we haven't seen before. Actually it was rather boring in terms of strict gameplay : either you cleared the entire level sneaking and spamming the super hearing sense OR you find cover and start shooting til everyone is dead, since the entire zone will rush to you.

The story, like I said, was pleasant but nothing that hasn't been overly explored already in the post-apocalypse fiction genre and the while the graphics are amazing...we've already seen equally beautiful games since Crysis ever came out and showed the rest of the developers how it's done.

It IS a good game, because the story and acting was well-performed, and visually it is stunning. But there isn't one bit of it that's revolutionary to me. Not saying that every game to win  GOTY awards has to be revolutionary, but surely there has to be something special, something that evolved, if only slightly.

Same could technically be said about GTA V.

It's not a revolutionary game, although it is a very good one. Both excel in their own areas. GTA V in gameplay and The Last of Us in story and graphics.

InternetBully
  • InternetBully

u wot m8?

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:46 PM Edited by InternetBully, 05 December 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Same could technically be said about GTA V.

It's not a revolutionary game, although it is a very good one. Both excel in their own areas. GTA V in gameplay and The Last of Us in story and graphics.

I agree entirely as well. And you won't see me advocating one game more than another for the title. But for the sake of arguing, there is no question that GTAO's gameplay is infinitely more fleshed out than TLoU's. But that doesn't mean it deserves to win just before of that. It's been a while since I thought a game deserves it more than another, mostly because they all end up looking the same.

I think AAA games stopped being revolutionary back in 2008-2009 when the developers pretty much pushed the scripting capacity of the current console hardware to the max. You can always make it a little more beautiful, but they hit an impass in terms of scripting complexity. GTAO is almost a technical achievement because it tried to cram as much content as it could into a single game. But that's where it stops for me.

You can still find semi-revolutionary content on PC here and there, but generally it mostly involves spinning conventions on their heads. But hey, now that the new gen is out maybe we can start getting stuff that is actually "new".

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

Which game did you have more fun playing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users