» «
Photo

What is the purpose of griefing?

90 replies to this topic
AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:27 AM Edited by AzraelX, 07 December 2013 - 12:07 AM.

Oh, no problem. Some people misuse it on these forums, which is probably why you had the wrong impression.

Griefing only has two requirements:

1) The person must be trying to frustrate/upset/irritate another player.

2) The person must be using a game mechanic in an unintended way.

Most people get pissed off when they lose, but the second part is why "winning" and "griefing" aren't the same thing :p

Sabotaging cooperative missions, and driving backwards to hit other players in races, are both examples of griefing in this game.

Alright thanks for that. But I tried to upset her, so it must have been griefing like you describe in point 1, not?

No problem. And it must be both 1 and 2, not only one of them.

...driving backwards to hit other players in races...

surely you jest

No, of course not. It's one of the most well-known forms of griefing across all racing games. Why?

if there was such an occasion where you could not get someone to stop killing you even through asking kindly than the least you can do is report them for griefing.

It's people like you who cry wolf at nonsense that prevents the reporting system from actually working. They should define the word "griefing" on the report form, for those such as yourself. I'm sure they never imagined there'd actually be people who would voluntarily purchase and play a game with nonconsensual PvP and then somehow think it's griefing when someone kills them more than once.

That's the game you're choosing to play. If you don't like getting killed repeatedly, don't play shooters. That's sort of what happens when you're bad.

• GankThis110 likes this

Horndog_SA
  • Horndog_SA

Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

After a hard days work, taking sh*t from people, its fun to just go home, relax and kill somebody, not sure what you clasify as griefing, but yes i will randomly chase someone and kill them but then i normally leave them alone, they are the ones that get mad and want to come for me, then i kill them 10 times just so they can get the message.

i gotta get my K/D up man, i have to kill people, but i wont spawn kill.... unless someone has pi*sed me off big time.

this is GTA, killing, stealing, acting like rubbishes, get over it or fight back.

gnad
  • gnad

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

After a hard days work, taking sh*t from people, its fun to just go home, relax and kill somebody, not sure what you clasify as griefing, but yes i will randomly chase someone and kill them but then i normally leave them alone, they are the ones that get mad and want to come for me, then i kill them 10 times just so they can get the message.

i gotta get my K/D up man, i have to kill people, but i wont spawn kill.... unless someone has pi*sed me off big time.

this is GTA, killing, stealing, acting like rubbishes, get over it or fight back.

agree

only us hard workers know that

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

...driving backwards to hit other players in races...

surely you jest

No, of course not. It's one of the most well-known forms of griefing across all racing games. Why?

just being silly

NeoNegro
  • NeoNegro

Ronin

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

They're increasing their Kill/Death ratio. I can never find it in myself to just kill some random person. 

• rob602pa likes this

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:43 PM Edited by Furry_Monkey, 05 December 2013 - 12:44 PM.

What's with all the "Removed" posts?  I asked this earlier, but it seems that that post has properly been removed - not just saying it.

blackmyst
  • blackmyst

Bastard

• BUSTED!
  • Argentina

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:44 PM Edited by blackmyst, 05 December 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Really, what is it? Do people who grief do it to compensate for their miserable life? or are they acting out scenarios they wish they could do IRL?

For the lulz. Also, to make kids like you ask questions like this.

I.E. You're butthurt anal mad.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

it's just retarded kids

rob602pa
  • rob602pa

Maybe I'm just sleepwalking...

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:56 PM Edited by rob602pa, 05 December 2013 - 06:15 PM.

They're increasing their Kill/Death ratio. I can never find it in myself to just kill some random person. 

This  ^^^.

Although I only recently began posting here, you are the only one I have seen that has realistic stats. The others I have seen are showing their billions of unearned dollars or their awesome kill ratio of the unsuspecting noobs or shooting and running away.

BurnCK
  • BurnCK

Trick

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Unless they're in a tank, learn to fight back...

hugh750
  • hugh750

i drive fast in gta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Really, what is it? Do people who grief do it to compensate for their miserable life? or are they acting out scenarios they wish they could do IRL?

we grief to complain about things. :lol:

hugh750
  • hugh750

i drive fast in gta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

we grief to complain about things. :lol:

but i'm not a major complainer, i just complain sometimes.

TheGreenSadler
  • TheGreenSadler

Born in sin, COME ON IN.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

To those who grief to relieve stress, why? all you're doing is ruining someone else's day.

TheProphet78
  • TheProphet78

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:08 AM

The point is to get the victim to get angry enough to chase me. Once he gives up, place bounty, then chase and kill

Mr Walker
  • Mr Walker

No. I don't like you.

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

Most of them do it because they're idiots.  You're generally not dealing with the highest common denominator here....

UnicornAssassin
  • UnicornAssassin

Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

This  ^^^.

Although I only recently began posting here, you are the only one I have seen that has realistic stats. The others I have seen are showing their billions of unearned dollars or their awesome kill ratio of the unsuspecting noobs or shooting and running away.

Realistic stats? Really? This guy has a 0.54:1 kill/death ratio. He is killed nearly twice as often as he kills others. Realistically, statistically, he f*cking sucks. 

• AzraelX likes this

Dillinger83
  • Dillinger83

boosted h22

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

Until they put online options on for friendly fire off. Its the wild wild west mother f*ckers. Kill or be killed.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

forum prankster haha i prank u!!!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:09 AM Edited by MrPeteyMax, 07 December 2013 - 06:09 AM.

People always say this after getting griefed.

"f*ck sakes why did they kill me? I lost 5k, I didn't do anything to them why did they kill me?"

I gotta be honest with you, friend, it's really fun going around killing players because you know how mad it makes yourself and for some reason it just gives you a bit of joy. To be in control for once. Because you know what you're doing is wrong and you don't get to do it so you really get a little joy out of it. You know that one video game your parents wouldn't let you play but you go round your friends and play it there and you know it's wrong but you can't stop?

That's griefing.

Silver_Paladin
  • Silver_Paladin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

I hunt down players and kill them endlessly for 2 reasons

1) because if you play the game legitly, making cash is now a joke or not even worth the time and effort so what i consider fun to do now is hunt.

2) I want to show how poorly managed this game is

only like 3 guys have shown they can match me up and I respect them. the rest just feed my 8.0+ K/D ratio

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:21 AM

1) because if you play the game legitly, making cash is now a joke or not even worth the time and effort so what i consider fun to do now is hunt.

only like 3 guys have shown they can match me up and I respect them. the rest just feed my 8.0+ K/D ratio

I simply don't believe it's a very challenging skill exercise to target non-combatant passive players.  So, your k/d is probably a bit bloated, impressive as it may be.  Shame there isn't a stat to reveal the quality of each kill. In any case, carry on :)

Silver_Paladin
  • Silver_Paladin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:26 AM Edited by Silver_Paladin, 07 December 2013 - 06:27 AM.

I simply don't believe it's a very challenging skill exercise to target non-combatant passive players.  So, your k/d is probably a bit bloated, impressive as it may be.  Shame there isn't a stat to reveal the quality of each kill. In any case, carry on :)

only like 10% of my kills or less were passive players and like i said i want to show how broken the game is to see if people realize it. so i do admit to have run over passive players or blasted them to death with the fire truck <3..   and your right on that last part  it lacks information but oh well

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

People always say this after getting griefed.

"f*ck sakes why did they kill me? I lost 5k, I didn't do anything to them why did they kill me?"

No, no one says that, because getting killed in a PvP game isn't griefing. Anyone who has played online games or bothered to read the thread should know that.

Mr Walker
  • Mr Walker

No. I don't like you.

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

Risible excuses for you being an arse.  As per normal for griefers.

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

only like 10% of my kills or less were passive players and like i said i want to show how broken the game is to see if people realize it. so i do admit to have run over passive players or blasted them to death with the fire truck <3..   and your right on that last part  it lacks information but oh well

so called "griefers" provide a valuable service to the community, I've always said :)

Anthony on GTA
  • Anthony on GTA

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

It occurs to me that I haven't ever actually been 'griefed' and I wonder how many people truly have,

I don't consider getting killed whilst being afk/doing something harmless to be griefing, when I get killed I just wonder to my self, wonder why he did that.. then I respawn and continue what I was doing.

I think being griefed would involve having someone follow you around the map, join your game sessions when they can and continuing to follow you, I mean, it's not like people are unavoidable.

You make the choice to be griefed.

If anyone would like to grief me on xbox my gt is the same as my username, go nuts, I want to know what it feels like. :D

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

I think being griefed would involve having someone follow you around the map, join your game sessions when they can and continuing to follow you, I mean, it's not like people are unavoidable.

No, that's not griefing. Being hunted by a PKer is not griefing.

If anyone would like to grief me on xbox my gt is the same as my username, go nuts, I want to know what it feels like.

Sure, next time I'm on I'll bring out my towtruck, and freeze your console so you have to turn it off. I'll keep doing that every time you sign back in.

I'm sure you won't enjoy how it feels for very long.

FR_Player-One
  • FR_Player-One

Pew Pew Pew - - -

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

I grief people to punish them for owning a chrome adder.

And I also grief griefers.

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

No, that's not griefing. Being hunted by a PKer is not griefing.

If anyone would like to grief me on xbox my gt is the same as my username, go nuts, I want to know what it feels like.

Sure, next time I'm on I'll bring out my towtruck, and freeze your console so you have to turn it off. I'll keep doing that every time you sign back in.

I'm sure you won't enjoy how it feels for very long.

You can follow people into different sessions? Didn't know that.

I gotta say I don't think I've ever been "grieved" either. Probably because I rarely kill other players myself. I mostly just do missions to get my cash up and buy the cars that I want.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

You can follow people into different sessions? Didn't know that.

Yep. Can't speak for PS3 users, but it's pretty easy on Xbox.

GankThis110
  • GankThis110

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

To make you post on the forums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users