Z

• None
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:35 AM

Far Cry 3, the first FP game I actually thoroughly enjoyed and still play once ever so often. Can't wait for FC4.

• Mister Pink and trip like this

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

A while ago I stopped listening to critics, and started bying games at random. Not new games, mind, just older games that received bad press or ones I've never even heard of.

And many of these games have been really positive surprises. Really great stuff.

So, no longer will I be swayed by criticism or, say, crappy looking cover.

-because the truth is, you do not know the game unless you try play it for coupla hours.

I'll not give you any names or pointers, but I engourage you to try out games you usually would not pick. It will enrich you gaming life no end.

• B Dawg likes this

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

A while ago I stopped listening to critics, and started bying games at random. Not new games, mind, just older games that received bad press or ones I've never even heard of.

And many of these games have been really positive surprises. Really great stuff.

So, no longer will I be swayed by criticism or, say, crappy looking cover.

-because the truth is, you do not know the game unless you try play it for coupla hours.

I'll not give you any names or pointers, but I engourage you to try out games you usually would not pick. It will enrich you gaming life no end.

Yeah, but they are good for recognising great games, like MPayne 3, GTA's... But i agree, there is no way of knowing them until you play it.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

• Batman Arkham Asylum. I played the demo and thought it was sh*tty. I bought the game on sale and was blown away. Immediately bought Arkham City.
  • Playstation Allstars Battle Royale. I always wanted to play it but expected it it to be a shabby Super Smash clone. I'd say it actually gives it a run for its money, though it's still not as good -- the controls are a bit clunky at times and the modes leave a lot more to be desired. Still though, for a first entry, it's awesome.
  • Sleeping Dogs as well. I thought it was just gonna be your usual True Crime but holy sh*t, it completely sh*ts on them.
  • Civilization Revolution. I thought it was gonna be sh*t like most other sim/strategy games native on PC ported to consoles. Holy sh*t was I wrong. It's actually my favorite Civ game of all time.
  • Metal Gear Solid 3. I wasn't new to MGS before playing this, I just didn't get what all the fuss was about. After playing this game though, I was a long-life fan of the series. I immediately got MGS2 and borrowed MGS1. Remains one of my top 3 favorite games of the ps2 along GTA San Andreas and Star Wars Battlefront 2.
  • Spiderman the Movie the Game. This game was made with love and hard work. It sh*ts on Spiderman 3. It's basically Arkham Asylum before Arkham Asylum even existed. One of the freaking thinngs you unlock is the green goblin and he f*cking plays and sounds like the green goblin. Even playing the story as him changes it. I bought the Special Edition of Spiderman 3 because it came with the green goblin as a playable character and I thought it'd be the as awesome as the first one... I was wrong, it was utter sh*t.
  • The Godfather: The Game. Rented it, thought it was gonna be a sh*tty GTA clone. To an extent, it was a clone but a damn good clone at that. I ended up buying it.
  • Age of Empires. Picked it up at Walmart for $10. Never looked back. One of my top 5 game franchises of all time and AOE2 remains the game I've wasted the most time on, even more than all the GTAs and TES games combined.
  • Red Dead Revolver. I wasn't into westerns when I rented this. I rented it because there was nothing left to rent and it had the Rockstar logo so I said "eh, what the hell." Single-handedly made me a western fan. I bought the game literally the day I had to return the rented copy.
  • The Saboteur. I bought it thinking nothing of it. It's now one of my favorite open-world games ever and reminded me how amazing Pandemic was.

That's all I can remember.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

• The Saboteur. I bought it thinking nothing of it. It's now one of my favorite open-world games ever and reminded me how amazing Pandemic was.

For me personally, it was the other way round. I saw the trailers and gameplay vids and I got really hyped for the game. So of course I bought it, but it was a massive disappointment for me. Imo it just wasn't fun, just average...

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

For me personally, it was the other way round. I saw the trailers and gameplay vids and I got really hyped for the game. So of course I bought it, but it was a massive disappointment for me. Imo it just wasn't fun, just average...

Yeah, definitely nothing above an 8/10 in terms of quality, but I thought it was just amazingly fun. Some of it is just plain broken and poorly implemented (I thought the driving was pretty sh*tty). Idk what it is though, but I totally dig it. I guess the mechanics reminded me a lot of Battlefront and Destroy All Humans, which I also loved and were made by Pandemic,

• Misbegotten cad likes this

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Yes. That's a game I really want to try out..... The Saboteur.

Shame Pandemic bit the dust.

EntretainMeOrDie
  • EntretainMeOrDie

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• Members

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Shame Pandemic bit the dust.

f*ck yes, f*cking shame.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Saboteur was one of the games I just bought at random, not expecting much.

-But the game was brilliant!

I really think Saboteur is one of the best free roam, city based games. Even better, it has lot of collectibles, lot to do, and a totally different setting to, say, GTA games. I played it to completion, collecting everything, including climbing to the top of the huge ferris wheel for that final bit.

It has great controls too, wiht the character able to climb walls with ease.

Now playing Rise of the Argonauts, another game that did not raise noise when it got out. But it's great! Great story, great character development system, great fighting mechanics! real surprise, because I expected it to be crap!

Oooh, our local Gamestop has a lot of these cheap old games for only coupla euros each. And there's lot I have not yet played. I cANNOT  wait to see what the next random purchase has in store for me!

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:20 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 08 December 2013 - 11:22 AM.

Assassin's Creed II.

I remember I had this irrational dislike for AC back in, like, 2008. It mostly came from the game being ridiciously hyped by my friends. They just couldn't stop talking about it, and you know, when your are young and dumb teenager, when you hear so much praise for something you weren't originally interested in, you either cave in and try it out or start getting irritated. But then I have seen AC II demo on E3 2009 or something and I loved what I've seen, so I bought the first one. I thought it was okay, great concept, but painfully repetitive gameplay. Eventually, I bought AC II, when it came out and it soldified my love for the franchise. I loved Ezio, the setting, gameplay, atmosphere, story, all that cool side stuff and more fleshed out overarching conspiracy plot.

From a series I originally didn't like, AC became the only series that could rival GTA in my mind. And it was all thanks to AC II.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Trigger Warning!

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:35 AM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 09 December 2013 - 10:36 AM.

Need For Speed: Underground 2. 

Hot Pursuit (2010)

Fallout 3:

First intro to RPG style games, although I knew Fallout is a "gamer's game" if you know what I mean.

Batman: Arkham Asylum:

Not really mad about superhero films/games but AA blew me away. 

acmilano
  • acmilano

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

GTA 3,back in early 2002. Before that I saw few times some kids playing GTA 1 few years before and didn't even register it,thought that is some kiddy game,honestly. And after playing Driver 1 and 2 start imagining how great would be game where you can drive and then continue action on foot. So I was playing one of the last games on PS1 in game shop when two guys enter and start playing on brand new PS2 some game called GTA 3.And I start watching and didn't even play my game anymore,just watch these guys how they did everything,driving,shooting,all kind of mayhem. Since then I started playing just that game until Vice City was released,and hooked up on series since then.

You thought gta 1, a game where you steal cars and kill people, was kiddy?

Because he only saw kids playing it?:

Yes,actually. I only before that saw it in Game Store 2 kids playing it and only saw some car driving around in that bird view. Didn't even know that you can shoot in that game. I did years later DL it from Rockstar site and find what is it actually and what you can do in it.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Mafia II. The story was f*cking awesome, with OK gameplay. I mean, there's no freeroam, not that I know of. I heard the DLC's do have freeroam, but still. Total BS. But even then, the game was a lot better than I expected.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

Mafia II. The story was f*cking awesome, with OK gameplay. I mean, there's no freeroam, not that I know of. I heard the DLC's do have freeroam, but still. Total BS. But even then, the game was a lot better than I expected.

It was kinda disappointing that they didn't include a free ride mode like in the first game where you could unlock new cars etc. But luckily with the pc version I had a free ride mode early on thanks to some mod... But it was boring with nothing to do so I never use it anymore. Now I do all my freeroaming during the actual game whenever I play Mafia II

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

but in any chapter, you can postpone the next objective and just f*ck around, just not giving a sh*t for the mission, but i agree, they should remove it and use letters like GTA.

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

Freakorama, on 06 Dec 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

TaviColen123, on 05 Dec 2013 - 8:17 PM, said:

Freakorama, on 05 Dec 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

TaviColen123, on 05 Dec 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

Catherine, i though it was going to be another lame japanese weirdo game but it turned out pretty good .

Cathrine looked alright, but it's too much like a movie. Just endless cutscenes with a poor excuse for puzzle sections just so they can sell it as a "game".

Are you still butthurt for what i said about The last of us and you are trying to be clever ?

I'm being serious. I watched the game played through entirely on YouTube and without even trying it myself I can tell it's a big waste of time with absolutely no replay value. :(

Nice joke, too bad i forgot to laugh .

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:19 AM Edited by Freakorama, 10 December 2013 - 09:20 AM.

Catherine, i though it was going to be another lame japanese weirdo game but it turned out pretty good .

Cathrine looked alright, but it's too much like a movie. Just endless cutscenes with a poor excuse for puzzle sections just so they can sell it as a "game".

Are you still butthurt for what i said about The last of us and you are trying to be clever ?

I'm being serious. I watched the game played through entirely on YouTube and without even trying it myself I can tell it's a big waste of time with absolutely no replay value. :(

Not joking. It is the complete truth. Would I lie to you?

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

DOOM II.

at first I though that the original DOOM is far better (due to being bigger in maps/levels and etc) but after I got it? :inlove:

I believe I used to have both games (1 and 2) but I HATED 2 because I keep dying in MAP08 (which ironically I though it was MAP12 :sui:) but after I got DOOM II? at LAST I passed the damn level! :D

ZB 512
  • ZB 512

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:30 AM

Ryse.  I wasn't expecting it to be good because of some of the low scores, but it turned out to be one of the best games ive ever played.  It was just epic and I had a blast playing it.  I don't understand the low scores at all. 

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

to me, the biggest surprise ever must be Brutal Legend.

When I read about it I thought, Jack Black? Heavy Metal? Ozzy Osbourne? This has to stink to high heaven!!!

But when I finally played the game last year, I found it really great!!

-there is a big and good looking world you can drive around in your custom car, collecting stuff, doing side missions and listening to the brilliant soundtrack. Great game! All should try it! And no, having Jack Black in the game did not spoil it after all!

-Which was probably the biggest surprise...

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:57 AM

Rayman Origins. Bought it for £15 after overlooking it. Really good and underrated game. Recently picked up Rayman Legends because of that. It always makes me happy when a clasic gaming series gets restored and brought back from the dead. 

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Skylanders Swap Force

-Huge surprise! It's brilliant platformer, with huge, secret filled levels, that take ages to complete. Real platformer heaven!

And it has great longevity, too:

-after you complete the game with the basic figurines, you can buy new figurines for it, and then play all the levels with them, and thus get a completely different gaming experience.

Best of all, the game also works with older skylander figurines, which you can get real cheap these days.

And all the figurines level up and get new skills as you use them, so it really is fun to get a new figurine and start 'training' it from level 1 onwards.

This is the first Skylanders game that I have played, but I am already a fan!!!

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Well. A game which I didn't know what to expect and surprised me positively, having it haunt me for the rest of my life in a positive way?

The Last of Us.

It was recommended for me by a friend on the Internetz. I hesitated because I knew it was a linear game and such and before TLoU, I preferred open-world games to linear ones. Also the only game at the time I really looked forward to was GTA V (I hadn't heard a lot about Watch Dogs, Dying Light, Destiny, Titanfall etc. yet) But when the guy pressured me enough, I got off my ass and went to buy it. Yes, I took my parents' money for that without telling them. Yes, I know I am not 18 and shouldn't have been able to buy the game. But for this game, I had to break the rules.

And after getting past the Prologue, I turned gay for the guy who pressured me to get this game. Well not really. But he got +500 Respect from me.

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Skylanders Swap Force

-Huge surprise! It's brilliant platformer, with huge, secret filled levels, that take ages to complete. Real platformer heaven!

-after you complete the game with the basic figurines, you can buy new figurines for it, and then play all the levels with them, and thus get a completely different gaming experience.

Best of all, the game also works with older skylander figurines, which you can get real cheap these days.

And all the figurines level up and get new skills as you use them, so it really is fun to get a new figurine and start 'training' it from level 1 onwards.

but what about the original spyro games? what about the hand-held games? what about the legend of spyro series?

to me, skylanders, thanks to Anti-vision, has totally ruined the spyro universe :facedesk:

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:21 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 04 January 2014 - 03:22 PM.

RDR. I think everyone was surprised considering San Diego didn't even make much quality games or any quality games at all. That was their first proper masterpiece. Even they thought it wouldn't work and well...you know how it is.

I think at times GTA V. It's so beautiful and awesome. But the flaws were probably not expected. I think the mistakes they've done with this was immensely surprising especially to hardcore fans.

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Batman arkham asylum.didn't want that game and i was not planning to buy it at all. But my friend said you must give it a try and when i started the game i was heavily surprised how cool that game is.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

Skylanders Swap Force

but what about the original spyro games? what about the hand-held games? what about the legend of spyro series?

to me, skylanders, thanks to Anti-vision, has totally ruined the spyro universe :facedesk:

Hmmm. Never played spyros, because did not like the looks of that silly little dracon.

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Actually, Assassins Creed BF suprised me. I thought I was bored with the series, but I have 40% in Black Flag now, and I love it! :D

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

I Am Lightning, The Rain Transformed

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:35 AM Edited by TensaZangetsu, 07 January 2014 - 10:37 AM.

Not joking. It is the complete truth. Would I lie to you?

I'm sure glad you said something about this game. I was just about to buy it pretty soon, and seeing as the game had some pretty good reviews, looking at it now those reviews can be deceiving. I think the game is more of a Visual Novel from what I can tell.

El Tel
  • El Tel

It's just a ride.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

XCOM, I thought it would be a terrible remake of a game I had fond memories of but actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users