Game that surprised you

68 replies to this topic
JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

Let's share a game that you thought it wouldn't be much good but surprised your expectations after some gameplaying.

Dragon's Dogma and Batman: Arkham

I thought it would be sh*t at the beginning, but i just got into it, that now i even get a little nostalgia from it. Shame i got the vanilla edition and not Dark Arisen.

I thought Batman beggining would suck just like most superheroes games, but it was like an Arkham beta on PS2. It surprised me just like any other Arkham, im still waiting for the last one, Origins. 

• LexIgnoramus likes this

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

This game called Thomas Was Alone. It looked like some simple, boring 2D platformer when I first downloaded it, but after a while I could not stop playing til the end.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

GTA 3,back in early 2002. Before that I saw few times some kids playing GTA 1 few years before and didn't even register it,thought that is some kiddy game,honestly. And after playing Driver 1 and 2 start imagining how great would be game where you can drive and then continue action on foot. So I was playing one of the last games on PS1 in game shop when two guys enter and start playing on brand new PS2 some game called GTA 3.And I start watching and didn't even play my game anymore,just watch these guys how they did everything,driving,shooting,all kind of mayhem. Since then I started playing just that game until Vice City was released,and hooked up on series since then.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Tomb Raider Legend

After the previous couple of games in the series, I didn't really want to buy it, but I decided to give it a try and I loved it. Before Legend I lost all interest in Tomb Raider but I was totally hooked again after I played the game.

Burnout Paradise

I've never played a Burnout game before I got Paradise, and I thought it was just gonna be some sh*tty racing game, but the game turned out to be great and loads of fun.

Dragon Age: Origins

I wasn't that interested in this game, but I was surprised to see how awesome the game turned out to be.

Rayman Origins

Games like these usually don't interest me at all, but it was spectacular, fast-paced fun. Though it was also highly frustrating at times, but who cares. Still haven't played the sequel...

And believe it or not, but to me, Fallout 3 was another game that looked like it was gonna suck. How stupid of me to think that, because today it's one of my all time favourite games

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

Catherine, i though it was going to be another lame japanese weirdo game but it turned out pretty good .

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:06 AM Edited by Freakorama, 05 December 2013 - 01:07 AM.

Catherine, i though it was going to be another lame japanese weirdo game but it turned out pretty good .

Cathrine looked alright, but it's too much like a movie. Just endless cutscenes with a poor excuse for puzzle sections just so they can sell it as a "game".

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:22 AM

I'd say Sleeping Dogs.

Before it was released I didn't have high hopes for it, but when I played it was way better than I thought it would be. Also Mafia II. It got such a bad wrap online, but the game was anything, but when I played it.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:49 AM

Cathrine looked alright, but it's too much like a movie. Just endless cutscenes with a poor excuse for puzzle sections just so they can sell it as a "game".
charlie-murphy.gif

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:03 AM

World in Conflict. I thought it was going to be some big scale strategy game like another one I used to have but it actually was a pretty cool and detailed (arcade) RTS. Frankly, one of my favourite games.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:29 AM

Alan Wake.

I picked it up for the 360 and hated it.  I don't even think I made it past the initial tutorial areas.

Later I got a copy for PC from someone here.  f*ck...can't remember who and I don't want to guess wrong.

Anyway, when I played the PC version I got totally sucked in and loved it.  I was surprised.

• Adler likes this

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:40 AM Edited by Adler, 05 December 2013 - 02:41 AM.

GTA 3

Yeah this. I was accustomed to playing games like Ratchet and Clank at the time, so I don't know what compelled me to ask my mom for this. She was okay with it, I had fun with the game despite not understanding most of what was going on, and I stuck with GTA til now.

World in Conflict. I thought it was going to be some big scale strategy game like another one I used to have but it actually was a pretty cool and detailed (arcade) RTS. Frankly, one of my favourite games.

This too. I don't play RTS a lot, but I do enjoy the genre. World in Conflict delivered.

I'll say that Assassin's Creed surprised me a few years back. I heard some praise for the game and its successor AC2 (already released at the time but I hadn't gotten into the series yet), but I didn't expect a lot going into the first one, not having played an AC game yet and having heard how repetitive it is. I decided to start with AC1 instead of AC2, so that if it was as repetitive as people were making it out to be then I wouldn't view the game more critically than I would if I had played AC2 first. It was indeed repetitive, but it blew my mind. Atmosphere was brilliant, platforming was fun, and the story was great at the time... remember when there were no ancient AI ghost gods in the AC universe?

So then I picked up AC2 almost immediately after finishing the first AC, and just being enamored by the game's presentation. AC2 was brilliant, and fortunately they resolved the issue of repetitiveness of the first game. That was no surprise though, since I went into the game with high expectations from the praise that the game had already gotten, and Ubisoft definitely delivered.

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Remember when there were no ancient AI ghost gods in the AC universe?

Yeah i don't know what ubisoft tryed to do but they should have just kept it believable in a certain degree, ghost bear in 3 was just wrong imo.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Zombie Gunship - Android market

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:53 PM Edited by Shoumic, 05 December 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Grand Theft Auto Vice City- All I used to play was Need For Speed 2 SE back then so I was reluctant to try any other video game. 

For some reason my cousins were pissed that all I played was NFS II so they turned on Vice city, I never looked back. 

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Are you still butthurt for what i said about The last of us and you are trying to be clever ?

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

The Walking Dead Season One: A Telltale Games Series

I was really impressed after my first playthrough.

Pepperjack
  • Pepperjack

Reasonably

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

GTA 3,back in early 2002. Before that I saw few times some kids playing GTA 1 few years before and didn't even register it,thought that is some kiddy game,honestly. And after playing Driver 1 and 2 start imagining how great would be game where you can drive and then continue action on foot. So I was playing one of the last games on PS1 in game shop when two guys enter and start playing on brand new PS2 some game called GTA 3.And I start watching and didn't even play my game anymore,just watch these guys how they did everything,driving,shooting,all kind of mayhem. Since then I started playing just that game until Vice City was released,and hooked up on series since then.

You thought gta 1, a game where you steal cars and kill people, was kiddy?

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

You thought gta 1, a game where you steal cars and kill people, was kiddy?

Because he only saw kids playing it?:

Katve
  • Katve

Lost in Liberty City

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

Just Cause 2 suprised me. Storyline is very poorly written and map is mostly copy paste, but it is so fun and messing around with those arcade physics is very fun. It receives more hate than it should. JC 2 is great game.

LexIgnoramus
  • LexIgnoramus

Player Sniper

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

To The Moon.

I was really bored at the time. I decided to try this game for a spin, I thought it would be just another game.

I didn't know I would ride an emotional roller-coaster.   

This stupid game made cry.

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Rayman: Origins. 

I was expecting it to be good, but I really did not expect me to actully love the game. It's just awesome. Will get legends sometime later. 

Dragons Dogma is another game that really surprised me too, tho I have never finished it. 

• JustOneMonth likes this

Quackerz Gamerz
  • Quackerz Gamerz

Radio Ga Ga!

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Assassin's Creed II.

I picked it up with the Free Games with Gold promotion for XBL when it was available a few months back, and I went into it not expecting much. The only AC I had played before this was AC III, which imo was pretty bad.

However, I was thoroughly impressed by AC II, the story, characters, combat, etc, were all greater than what was shown in AC III. Definitely one of my favourite games I have played to date.  

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

lemme smang

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

Skate-It for the Wii. I remember picking it up because it was cheap (10$ iirc) thinking it was going to be mediocre compared to the PS360 versions, but I ended up playing it for 6 hours straight on my first session. Needless to say my right arm was tired as hell when I was through. 

Spoiler

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:31 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 05 December 2013 - 09:32 PM.

Fallout 3. Kind of.

Before I played it, I didn't actually know what it was. All I know is that it had guns and radiation. I first played it, got into the open world and because I wasn't paying too much attention, I had no idea what the f*ck I was supposed to do. I called it "sh*t" and stopped playing.

Then I played it again and knew what I was supposed to do after raging at my friend for 10 minutes all "dude wtf are you supposed to do where do i go wtf how did you get the radio omg this game sucks i'm going back on gta"

Best game playthrough ever.
  • Mister Pink and Loves2Spooge90 like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:35 PM Edited by B Dawg, 05 December 2013 - 09:36 PM.

I had no idea what the f*ck I was supposed to do

You're supposed to do what the Brotherhood and the Enclave have been doing.

Spoiler
After you're done with that, load your save game and repeat with a different combo.

EntretainMeOrDie
  • EntretainMeOrDie

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

Can't rememba but some ac

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Fallout 3. Kind of.

Before I played it, I didn't actually know what it was. All I know is that it had guns and radiation. I first played it, got into the open world and because I wasn't paying too much attention, I had no idea what the f*ck I was supposed to do. I called it "sh*t" and stopped playing.

Then I played it again and knew what I was supposed to do after raging at my friend for 10 minutes all "dude wtf are you supposed to do where do i go wtf how did you get the radio omg this game sucks i'm going back on gta"

I'd love to see how you'd have handled the original Fallout games.

Red Faction: Guerilla's destruction physics were very surprising and very satisfying, was not expecting anything that detailed or good. Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction also had a similar effect.

I didn't expect Beneath a Steel Sky to be so world building and well thought out in terms of puzzles, that was very good.

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:43 AM Edited by JustOneMonth, 06 December 2013 - 01:44 AM.

Fallout 3. Kind of.

Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction also had a similar effect.

Yeah, Spiderman 2 (PS2) was the same for me.

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

Are you still butthurt for what i said about The last of us and you are trying to be clever ?

I'm being serious. I watched the game played through entirely on YouTube and without even trying it myself I can tell it's a big waste of time with absolutely no replay value. :(

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:06 AM

Tell Tales The Walking Dead, after everyone in the world said this interactive movie was a Fantastic, I pushed my self to beat it as I was extreamly disappointed, you could say I was surprised by how generic the ending was

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users