Photo

My Observations: Kids Playing Online Games

17 replies to this topic
L0st-D4md
  • L0st-D4md

Lost, Damned, Insane

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

[Warning: This post contains personal opinions, observations and rants in regards to gamer children, or 'Twelvies'. If you do not like reading walls of text, or you simply don't believe individualization and expression. You can leave anytime you want. Now would be the best time, though]

This thread's thesis is a continuation of a previous thread that I have written yesterday regarding my subjective, informally written experiences with 'twelvies' playing GTA Online. Even though I will not call back the events covered in that old thread, I still recomend you look at the previous thread here or go to my signiture for a link.

WHAT IS A 'TWELVIE'?

Anyone who has played competitive online games such as Call of Duty, Battlefield, or more relevant, GTA Online would know the cliches and stereotypes of prepubscent gamers. Informally known as twelve year  old kids or 'twelvies'. What exactly is a 'Twelvie'? Their physical apperence is a hilarious research yet an irrelivent topic. The disginquishing feature of our common 'Twelvie' is the loud, high pitched voice which is often obnoxious, foul and disrespectful to mothers.

TWELVIES WILL NEVER GO AWAY

I think most of us have accepted Twelvies are here to stay in the online world and we cannot simply wish them away. I don't, they are simply too much fun to mock let alone write about or study. As long as they have a console, the right Internet and above all, the best parents in the world, Twelvies will continue to metaphorically lay eggs in our once mature circles and pollute our society.

ADVANCES IN TECHNOLOGY

30 years ago back in 1983, gaming was scarce if not expensive. I wasn't even a sperm cell back in 1983 so I wouldn't know first hand what it was like. Based on what I do know is that gaming was mostly feeding silver coins into a Pac-Man machine. Arcade games back then were mostly non-violent and even those that were violent were usually too innocent or comical to raise any major concern. As time went on through technological booms in the 80s, 90s and 00s, games gradually became more violent, more graphically detailed, running on more accessible systems and of course more accessible to children.

Back in the 90s, split screen multiplayer was amazing to those at the time, but now 'Multiplayer' in this gaming generation is online play and VoIP It may feel like to some of the younger ones that the internet and online gaming has been around forever, but really, it is a technical implementation that has only seen mainstream use since 2005, or when the PS3 and X360 launched. Although previous consoles had online multiplayer support, none of them were as convient and widely used as the PSN and XBL for their respective platforms.

RULES ARE OVERRATED

They are overrated, indeed. Nobody likes rules. We pretend to like them at best, and kids will bend them or simply get around them whenever possible. Even if that is as simple as going to bed at 8:31 when their bedtime is actually 8:30. Although PSN and XBL have parental lock implementations and account restrictions, little kids still find their way around them as they are fairly simple to advert. For instance, using a fake birthdate so their PSN or XBL account does not have any automatic child restrictions. As I am a 'big boy', I don't really know how every single parental control feature works on the X360 or PS3. I do know that PSN accounts at least block online play if the user in question is under 18, and I also know that both consoles have parental controls that prevent kids from playing excessively violent games.

Whatever you make of that, not many parents actually restrict their child's console use, and those that do don't often enforce them as well as they should. Even my parents were pretty relaxed with my old PS2 when I was dependant on rules, and most of my friends have took up GTA at tender ages. We all turned out okay for the most part.

INTEGRITY VS. IGNORANCE

When there are no hard placed restrictions on a child such as parental locking, the parents often rely on the child's integrity and good values. Its either that or they just don't care. In any case, do these parents actually know what their child is doing online? They might understand the barriers between gaming and reality so they let their child play Modern Warfare. Still, that does not change the fact that children are playing COD and GTA Online, screaming into microphones and telling men twice their age to suck what I suppose is their 'private parts'.

Do these parents actually know what goes on in the dark room they game in? Do they know the full extent of the hours they put in to reach a high prestige or reputation rank? Are they even in the house? If so, do they hear the screaming from inside the walls? If I can hear them LOUD and CLEAR, don't you think mummy and daddy would be able to hear their own child from the downstairs kitchen, boasting to have had intercourse with somebody's mother?

Do these kids even go to school, or do they ditch class to play more matches? If they do actually go to school, how many friends to they have? Do they actually do well? How many friends do they have in general? Not considering online friends or clan buddies, of course.

So the summary of this part brings us down to a complicated question;

"Do parents let their kids play violent games because they think they're mature and morally strong enough OR because they just don't care and accept the fact a console would raise a child better than themselves?"

I personally think it could do a better job than me as a father. I would make a terrible father. However, instead of leaving the job to whatever future console trends in the year 2025, I will just not have kids altogether. There, problem solved with one less potential 'Twelvie' wasting our bandwidth

THE OVERRATING SYSTEM

Gaming was caught on by the all seeing, all knowing government at some point. They watched as the systems developed and games became more and more grotesque. Instead of the Communist move to simply ban everything potentially upsetting to the conformist public, they tried to hit the middle ground with a comprimise. That compromise was splitting any and all games into 'Rating classifications'
I believe their strong intents, giving people indicators weather a game has lots of violence or swearing, but do these ratings, do they actually work?

In this case, I will refer to the Australian classifications as Australia is where I am from, but nonetheless, all classification boards are roughly the same anyway.

Even though Australia only had a R18+ classification implemented a few months ago, that black sticker still shines brightly on newly released games games including GTA V. The Wikipedia article quotes;

"People under 18 may not legally buy, rent, exhibit or view R18+ classified content. The content is high in impact."

If an adult guardian were technically legal, I don't see anything about it...

I imagine the same restriction is present in the United States, United Kingdom, or perhaps even Scandinavia for all I know. I think you see the point.

So back on-topic, games cannot be sold to minors..bla bla blah. Yeah, games cannot be SOLD to minors per se, yet, does that stop spoiling mothers from going out and purchasing the game themselves for their fat, stupid child? When the child plays it, do the secret police bash through their door and give them 13140000 minutes of time out? Does it stop the child from playing the game, absorbing its content and become posessed by it? Does it stop the child from playing the game online and showing us what a man he is now that he has seen gore?

The answer to all those, in fact so happens to be NO!

I HATE CHILDREN

The problem with children is they are too exposed, too spoiled, too stupid for that matter. Their parents are too lazy, too loving and too ignorant.
These classification laws are put in place to hopelessly hope that parents are conformist enough to say to their child;

"NoNoNoNoNo! That game has too much hitting. Why don't we buy MARIO KART instead?"

Although some parents are AwEsOmE enough to do that, the cynical reality is that the world is not filled with sunshine, lollipops, rainbows, cookies, cuddles and cheery songs about big red cars. It will never be like that. I don't want it to be like that. Although it may actually seem nice, the world is just not meant to be that way. Violence exists in nature. That is a story for another time. We must accept violence, exposure and hence, 'twelvies' will never go away

Still, I want to smash the TV with a chair whenever I hear a high pitched, screaming child on GTA Online.
This brings up to a story I've been looking for an excuse to share.

A STORY

Last Saturday, I was at JB Hi-Fi browsing through the preowned PC games, still no preorder for GTA V PC release, when I saw a child from the corner of my eye. I turned around to get a better look at him and he was showing a copy of GTA V to his father, indicating he wanted to get it. This kid seemed cool and calm and he spoke very quietly to his dad. I did not pick up on the entire conversation. I always miss the details, but from what I gathered, this kid has been wanting GTA V and his father was willing to buy it for him.

This dad did not seem like a gamer type. I know my brothers when I see them. The kid seemed to be the gamer of the house. As to what this kid looked like, he was four feet tall, freckled face spiked ginger hair, wearing a green shirt and had shorts that were too short, making me glad I haven't bought lunch yet.
Simply put, this kid was the archetypal ginger, like the ones you may have seen on South Park.

I see this sort of thing at least once a month, a kid acting older than his biological age thinking hes cool because he plays an 18+ game illegaly. Being said, with the new R18+ system in place, I found it much harder to turn a blind eye. After finally choosing my PC games, Dragon Age II and Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, I turned back to see the kid and his dad at the nearby counter actually purchasing GTA V. I'm not sure if the cashier was being laid back like everyone at tech stores, or he thought the game was for the DAD. Realistically, its more likely the former, but I'm going to dictate your interpretations of my story.

I know I said that we can't stop the exposure, but what I don't like is twelvies on our Internetz. We can't fight them as a whole, but we can do our part as if getting rid of 1 or 2 makes a big difference. If I was working at JB, I would have said to the kid:

"You do realize this game is for 'big people', right?"
"We can't sell this game to children. Sorry, bro"

...And when my workmates tell me to shut up I'll be like

"The last thing we need is another TWELVIE slowing down the servers, making my ears go deaf and giving us gamers a bad name."

Suddenly I'm fired and my Mum lectures me to no end on keeping my f*cking mouth shut and how children are more important than me.

THE POINT OF THAT STORY WAS....?

I have no right to judge, but that kid seemed to be one of those twelvies we were discussing earlier who has super awesome parents that let them play these games for 13 hours a day. It is so ironic how we let 12 year old kids annoy us, offend us, shout into our delicate ears and give us a bad name with no parental intervention.
That is ironic when you see a mature teenager who only gets console time for 1-2 hours a day because of parents, siblings, commitments or whatever circumstance.

My point is that I saw it, and did nothing. If I was easier to take seriously, I would have talked his dad out of buying him the game. Henceforth, I would be doing my part in ridding the world of spoiled prepubescent children.

KIDS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN US

Are kids these days less disciplined than we were?
Are they somewhat less restricted than we were?
Can you remember what gaming was like when you were 12?
Are your parents good to you? Better than your common twelvie?
Compare it all to the archetypes I have discussed above
Try not to cry
Cry a lot
Lose faith in humanity
Cut your wrist
Die
Go to Heaven
Hope that Heaven has Internet

YEP....

*Long, exhausted sigh*
Well, I don't know what I just wrote. Hope you had fun.

• universetwisters and 2281 like this

L0st-D4md
  • L0st-D4md

Lost, Damned, Insane

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

inb4 massive butthurt

Bertanius
  • Bertanius

Classic car fan

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Now, I don't play online games whatsoever, but I can certainly reply to other areas of your post. When it comes to how gamers act, it's not really their age that defines them, but simply how the parents raised them. I first got the original GTA for PlayStation back in 2004 or so (yeah I was a bit late), when I was about 7 or 8, I didn't ask for it by the way, but I wasn't the kind who took games seriously, I knew they were for enjoyment. It didn't change who I was, I played games like Doom back in 2000 or so on PC, and even then I knew it was just for fun. Now, I don't want to sound like I'm making myself look good, but I grew up to me extremely smart, I continue to be one of the best readers and spellers in school, have a really good vocabulary, am quick at learning things, and have a high level of skill in many digital graphics programs. The type of video game you play doesn't determine who you will be. You'll notice that today's society is obsessed with mobile phones and social networking sites, they're the kind who have parents who don't care about them, and get them whatever they want because they're too scared to say no. So naturally, you have online gamers who always treat others badly, simply because they think they're better than them.

Parents are too soft and don't disagree with their child. What does this do to them? It makes them grow up thinking whatever they do is always the right way, there's no failures, no losing, nothing like that, they grow up always being the winner, so what happens when they lose? They get really angry. As I said, I don't play online games, but I'm sure you get a lot of kids who blame everything on others, even when something is clearly their fault, they make an excuse or blame another team member. It's because their parents never told them that things won't always go their way, so they don't have any idea on how to react in a situation like that (which I'm sure is what makes them "scream" in denial in games, they're just clueless as to what happened). What does this all mean? It means it's more of the parent's fault for making their kids like that, if they were more assertive and stopped getting everything for them, then I'm sure you could have young gamers who acted appropriately. No matter your age, you don't have to conform and act like the rest of society, but these kids grow up being the winner. Parents just want their child to be quiet, so they get them whatever they ask for.

As to your story of the kid getting GTA V, I wouldn't expect the parent to agree with what you say, the child would demand they get the game, so they would either come back later, or get the manager, because like I said, they're too scared to say no. I guess it will only get worse, look at society today, all they want is attention, to be Internet famous, and to use others just to make them some money, because they grew up thinking they're the important one, like they're somehow better than others. It's sad, but true. We have the parents to blame for not teaching them what's right and what's wrong, but even at that, I taught myself many things, I never conformed and acted like the rest of society, but I guess there's only a small percentage who are independent, the rest just stick to their parents and get everything from them, they don't bother with trying to be independent. Maybe someday they'll realise playing games all day won't get them anywhere...

I can relate in the real world on how these, uh, "twelvies", as you put it, are excessively annoying and think they're better than others, all of the year 7 students at school act tough, try to look funny, and annoy others to look "cool" in front of their friends, they just want attention, but when you see kids like that, you just know they have parents who don't care about them, the kind who get them whatever they want so they will be quiet. I just ignore them, but I'm sure one day they will annoy the wrong student... Now, to tell you the truth, I don't have any friends, but I can see why, society can't accept those who can outsmart them, have superior intelligence, or disagree with them, they just want you to think they're better than you, they want you to agree that their opinions are facts. It appears most of what I use to think were friends just lied, they conformed to society and only became friends with those who acted the same, but I digress.

Whether this post means anything to you is not up to me, but I guess it's safe to say there's nothing we can do about the downfall of society, we can't somehow make parents care about their child, they would much rather sit on Facebook all day playing Farmville. A sad, but true sentence...

• L0st-D4md and JustOneMonth like this

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

I'm 23 and I don't give a f*ck. Pretty much every game has a mute function and some even have a blacklist, if someone is that annoying that's what they're there for.

I've never felt the need to write an essay about annoying children.

• CatDog96, 727gta and WBaker like this

razorsharkhead
  • razorsharkhead

Cockstar Employee

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

For anyone who didn't feel like reading it:

"I don't enjoy 12 year olds who play gta online"
you're welcome. 

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

See, the problem here is that age != maturity. Sure, there are young annoying people.

But there are also old annoying people. What about them?

In your story you immediately judge the kid to be immature and merely acting 18 to get a game. Why?

Probably, as you said yourself, you hate children.

Doesn't really seem like I can change your view, but this is a pretty close-minded way of thinking about this.

Children aren't little sh*ts. 

Immature people are little sh*ts.

• na89340qv0n34b09q340 likes this

Cebra
  • Cebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

The problem here is that you're judging by age. You seem to be the kind of person who thinks that the second you turn eighteen, you're suddenly mature enough to play video games. You're also assuming that anyone under eighteen (actually, you seem to be picking on twelve year olds) are screaming little children who will rage every time they're killed and play CoD.

The problem is, that's just not true. I've actually been playing GTA since I was five years old. I just drove around because I enjoyed cars. Now, nine years later at fourteen years old I own every single GTA game. I own a mic, and play just as fairly as any adult should. I don't care if it's illegal, I have no urge to hire a hooker or kill anyone, and I don't act like those kids you mention in your OP (who tend to be around nine year old, not twelve).

Another annoying judgement by you is that you assumed that the kid in the video store was only pretending to be mature. You even judged him by his looks, which was a pretty shallow thing to do. Whether you like it or not, there are kids who are just a mature as you. You're right to a degree, there are definitely some kids who act like idiots and those are the ones who get the spotlight.

I'm 14, English isn't even my first language, I get amazing grades in school and I don't scream in to mics. I'm exactly the opposite of the "child" that you imagine, yet you seem to be an extremely close-minded person.

I hope that can be changed.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:19 AM

If you think Twelvies are annoying then you are annoying too because you are forgetting that you were a child once too. Even developers played video games when they were 12, More than half the gaming population is below 18. Just because they scream in their mics in a virtual game does not mean that they are a disgrace to the society.

By the way I am 13 years old and I barely play MP and do not feel the urge to scream in a mic.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:22 AM

W2L;DR

Anyways, it's a game. I've played with kids not so mature (adults as well) and some more mature than the adults. If they want to play, let 'em.. though there may be certain content not worthy of your children's ears or eyes, more importantly, letting them chat amongst the crowd. Chat during a game can get quite vulgar, sexually explicit and all that.. just let them play without the exception of communicating.

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

?

• BUSTED!
  • Unknown

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:27 AM

Many of these children have played more games than I in my life until now.

Wug Shug
  • Wug Shug

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

I HATE CHILDREN

The problem with children is they are too exposed, too spoiled, too stupid for that matter. Their parents are too lazy, too loving and too ignorant.
These classification laws are put in place to hopelessly hope that parents are conformist enough to say to their child;

"NoNoNoNoNo! That game has too much hitting. Why don't we buy MARIO KART instead?"

Although some parents are AwEsOmE enough to do that, the cynical reality is that the world is not filled with sunshine, lollipops, rainbows, cookies, cuddles and cheery songs about big red cars. It will never be like that. I don't want it to be like that. Although it may actually seem nice, the world is just not meant to be that way. Violence exists in nature. That is a story for another time. We must accept violence, exposure and hence, 'twelvies' will never go away

Still, I want to smash the TV with a chair whenever I hear a high pitched, screaming child on GTA Online.

I always believed that parents should raise their own child their own way... Oh, you might want to contact the PSN moderators or Xbox Live moderators to help you find that mute button.

L0st-D4md
  • L0st-D4md

Lost, Damned, Insane

• Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:47 AM

I HATE CHILDREN

I always believed that parents should raise their own child their own way... Oh, you might want to contact the PSN moderators or Xbox Live moderators to help you find that mute button.

Hey! I tell it like it is. Its not my fault some parents are unfit and ignorant. Sometimes, I actually enjoy seeing and listening to the screw ups of existence, laughing to myself and taking notes (on this thread)

I'm sure the mods and I will have a fun old time looking for YOUR mute button :orly:

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

I love kids, but when they play online games that I play, I tend to lose my sh*t on them. I actually made some arabic kid cry while playing GTA IV once because he really ticked me off, and lets just say I do not like Arabic people. Sorry, but its true. 

Cebra
  • Cebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:41 PM Edited by PhilosophicalZebra, 14 December 2013 - 04:41 PM.

Sometimes, I actually enjoy seeing and listening to the screw ups of existence, laughing to myself and taking notes (on this thread)

That's strange, considering all arguments against you have been perfectly thought out and not aggressive or mean spirited like you're being. The difference between our opinions and yours is that yours is totally biased upon your "hate" of children, while ours seems to be well thought-out and not confrontational.

Aintgottime2bleed
  • Aintgottime2bleed

to weird to live to rare to die

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Thats what you get when you play lil kiddo games like gta5 or cod or bf, dont blame the kids. Go play real games. 

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

Thats what you get when you play lil kiddo games like gta5 or cod or bf, dont blame the kids. Go play real games. 

Why the hell is your pathetic self here then?

Tracksuit Hitman
  • Tracksuit Hitman

I'm feeling Supersonic

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:02 PM Edited by Unoriginal Gangster, 14 December 2013 - 11:06 PM.

I love kids, but when they play online games that I play, I tend to lose my sh*t on them. I actually made some arabic kid cry while playing GTA IV once because he really ticked me off, and lets just say I do not like Arabic people. Sorry, but its true.

"We don't take kindly to your type around here". Take your hatred elsewhere.

We+_80e4fdefab88845faf4fb058420e3e1c.png

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

I think the typical twelvie we see online, their parents have not care enough to inform them about online interactions or care enough to educate. If parents spend more time with their kids and teach them important values, I see them less likely to act like this. Parents have less time with their children, so they buy them these games to keep them busy. they are both spoiled and neglected.

About kids playing mature games or any online game, I don't mind them playing, I would just rather that most of them do not use a mic. Most of these kid never were prepared to be exposed to the online world, and when they do get exposed, they throw fits, scream, cry, and often copy what they hear and see.

Back when I was that age, I really only played games with chat communication. But even that is not all that safe compared to back then.

You cannot protect children from these things, only prepare them, and most are not prepared..

Then again, sometimes getting reactions from then is funny, because it is so easy. You kill them like 5 times in a row, and they get angry. If they do not scream, or have a fit, then, they are little more prepared than others.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users