GTA doesnt feel the same anymore

242 replies to this topic
tomuk3
  • tomuk3

cake

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:08 AM

I do see your point here, but damn GTA V is hella fun!

If the story focused a little more back to Franklin's gangbanging days (possible dlc rockstar? :O) it could of gotten the old feel back rather than the whole business stuff. The characters are a lot older too, going though that mid-life crisis bullsh*t, which also has an impact.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:09 AM Edited by Official General, 04 December 2013 - 02:27 AM.

@OfficialGeneral

What is wrong with italics? I liked writting that way until I realised it was so damn stupid.

I never said anything to you for having a senseless signature and a gangster holding a gun as your avatar.

I thought you was writing in italics as some kind of trademark to stand out and make you seem so smart. That's why I thought it looked stupid, and now you realize.

Well in case you have not figured, I'm a big fan of GTA, which co-incidentally is a game centered around gangsters and guns. It can only be seen as fitting that my avatar would reflect something like this, don't you think Einstein ??  :sarcasm:

What should my avatar be then mister ?? A grandad in his houserobe, pyjamas and slippers with a cup of coffee by a log fire ?? 

If you think my signature is senseless, that's fine. You don't even know what it's about or the meaning behind it, but yet, you are convinced it's senseless. But's it's okay, you seem to know it all. 

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

@StingrayX

Why are you even bothering to reply to me then? Did you seriously look at all my posts or the ones you remember?

Is it not easy to remember how a certain person posts and some of the dumb things they have said? I didn't need to look over your posts again to say what I said, I just remember it. I'm not stupid, what the hell...? Do you forget things that easily?

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

For a lot of us who have been fans since the beginning it's probably because we're been getting older. I've been gaming since the early 90s and whilst I still love video games I know it's not as strong as it once was.

For me I think GTA V simply tries too hard to be like a GTA III era GTA whilst still keeping in touch with GTA IV's core advancements (although it is a step backwards corewise in ways).

I've said this before, but GTA V feels like a game that was made out of obligation. I really don't see where 5 years of development is because to me it feels like it was made in much less time. Like 2 maybe 3 years.

Things like the property make me feel like this game was in a rush phase at some point. GTA IV felt like a game that had been in development for as long as it did. GTA V doesn't.

I'm not sure if I would say it was made solely out of obligation, but it was definitely finished out of obligation. They probably had big ideas for it considering they called it their most ambitious title to date, but they definitely did not live up to their ambition. I think they may have rushed it to get it out before next-gen launched. Probably sacrificed a lot of features and the PC version that patches reference in order to get the console version out. Maybe they cut so much that they ended up rushing a few features that fans were asking for during the delay? Properties definitely feel like something they pumped out quickly without much thought.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

GTA  doesn't feel the same to me. So now I started to commit crimes in real life... It feels like my first time playing GTA 3. I recommend this to everyone.

• Diesleman likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:12 AM

The PS2 games were great but I am not a person that likes to live in the past. To me Iiked every single GTA game.

• DeafMetal likes this

just-a-spaz
  • just-a-spaz

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:17 AM

Imagine if GTA IV never existed and GTA V was released as GTA IV. It would've blown your mind. GTA IV didn't have car customization, golf, animals, pets, tow trucks, moutains, planes, scuba-diving, swimming under water, jet skis, sharks, bicycles, 4-wheelers, buggies... the list goes on and on. Also, in GTA IV, you couldn't save anywhere you wanted, and the controls were sometimes frustratingly clunky for shooting and moving your character around.

GTA V is an enhancement in almost all areas from GTA IV. The only thing that I notice is downgraded is the euphoria engine. The AI doesn't seem as good. In GTA IV, when you hit a person going slow, the person would actually put their hands out to try and protect themselves or someone might stumble a bit, but not fall down. In GTA V, people pretty much fall down no matter what or just turn into ragdoll.

• damian001 and Tikhung like this

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:29 AM

I'm sorry, but you've grown up. We can never recreate the magic of the past, but we will always have those memories. Everything we feel nostalgic about seems better than what we have now - even if it is objectively worse (like Vice City, in reality is objectively worse than IV/V will ever be).

That is the way of the world I guess. 

• blowtorchrepair likes this

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:46 AM Edited by niko bellic half brother, 04 December 2013 - 04:51 AM.

It appears people can't accept evolution, and just want their favourite product to be the same thing over and over.

No matter what anybody says, the fundamental and core heartbeat of GTA has stuck true to form throughout every game in the series - and that includes V. The problem here seems to be that certain people get so attached to a certain element(s) of one of the games, that if that particular element(s) happens to be missing from the next game, they start throwing their tampons around claiming it to be..."worst game eva/what happened to GTA/lazy rockstar/etc".

If Rockstar had made V to satisfy everyone and their aggressively demanding needs, we'd have a game that's on 6 discs...a development period of much more than 4/5 years...a terrible frame-rate to cope with everything on PS3/360....and last but not least....a sh*t-load more whining than we currently have on this depressing, troll-infested forum.

• woggleman, DeafMetal, BFR579 and 1 other like this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:48 AM

GTA IV didn't feel like GTA at all, the garbage vehicle variety and the friendship/dating system made sure of that. GTA V on the other hand, does feel like a refined GTA, the game which GTA IV should have been.

• DeafMetal and ReekyAlex like this

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

#FREE ASH_735

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

^Please. Tell us how you really feel about GTA IV.

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

It's a good game in it's own right, but it is a terrible GTA.

casper13
  • casper13

Cas

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:10 AM

San Andreas on PS2 was awesome, mainly because I was young and me and my two friends always played it together. Now on GTA V I got bored to the SP in a week, and the Online is kinda crappy.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:10 AM

You answered yourself in the very beginning

I grew up

beavis55
  • beavis55

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:23 AM

i agree OP.  as ive aged my tastes in video games has gone down. i stick to only a few series and GTA is one of them. GTAV has something lacking that III/VC still has. I play GTAV for 20 minutes and get bored but when i boot up GTAIII i can still somehow get immersed and lost in the streets of LC.

I think its because R*s more serious, realistic approach to GTA now. They also seem to make GTA more like an interactive movie instead of a video game. the III era lacked the graphics and realism but made up in fun. The HD era has amazing graphics,detail, and realism but lost the fun. Basically R* now puts all of its effort into a perfect detailed map, then makes a sub par story that seems like a movie, then with the remaining energy they have GAMEPLAY is worked on.

MAKAVELlil
  • MAKAVELlil

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:53 AM

I'm still young (15) and op is right

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

That's a bit rich considering GTA V doesn't even have a proper vehicle theft side mission and it doesn't know whether it's a descendent of Wii Sports or a GTA game.

It should be called "Grand Confused Auto V". GTA V is a good game (I've downgraded it from great), but the way you and Tenxax in particular always try to fend off any sort criticism and use GTA IV as a target is kind of sad.

Now I admit I'm biased towards GTA IV, but I can't bring myself to defend GTA V in any way, shape or form anymore as a lot of the criticism it gets is deserved.

I don't believe it should be called a "bad" game, but I can understand why someone would feel like it's lost touch with the series' roots in ways.
  • QuietJosh likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Considring that the main flaws people had with GTA V was that it was that it was made out of the will of III-era fans, I can't see how it feels the same. 

The only thing that doesn't feel like GTA in GTA V is multiple protagonists. I honestly can't think of anything else. You can steal cars, kill people, explore the map, etc. If GTA made it so it was linear, cars are a decoration, and you can only kill enemies, then I'd classify it as not feeling like GTA. GTA V still holds the same qualities as previous titles. 

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:37 AM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 04 December 2013 - 08:44 AM.

That's a bit rich considering GTA V doesn't even have a proper vehicle theft side mission and it doesn't know whether it's a descendent of Wii Sports or a GTA game.

It should be called "Grand Confused Auto V". GTA V is a good game (I've downgraded it from great), but the way you and Tenxax in particular always try to fend off any sort criticism and use GTA IV as a target is kind of sad.

Now I admit I'm biased towards GTA IV, but I can't bring myself to defend GTA V in any way, shape or form anymore as a lot of the criticism it gets is deserved.

I don't believe it should be called a "bad" game, but I can understand why someone would feel like it's lost touch with the series' roots in ways

At lest you can admit your biased, but it's king of ironic isn't it, GTA IV fans accuse GTA V fans of fending off criticism of GTA V, yet GTA IV fans are always fending off criticism, you yourselft have said that phone calls from friends do not happen every 5 minutes even though I counted 3 phone calls in a 13 minute YouTube video of a the GTA IV WTC mod, and StingrayX literally ignores that fact that GTA V has a better VEHICLE (VEHICLE, not just CAR) variety and only compares the amount of generic cars.
As for the vehicle theft side mission, do you really need a side mission to steal cars, in GTA IV, I found no appeal in going out and steeling a nice car, just to drive it back to the same location for some useless money when I could have just kept said car for myself.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

You're just getting old. Nothing will ever feel like VC or III again. That's just how it is.

To the new kids, who just played V as their first GTA it will feel the same in ten or some years when they get older and can't really get into the games any more.

Sure, the games have changed too, they're not arcady, simple pleasing graphics and sunshine. They've evolved, and in a good manner, but they simply can't keep up with the change in people, so they will continue to amaze new generations, just not us who have been there for a long time already.

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

I grew up playing Vice City. It was so good that I bought GTA III(a game I overlooked). These games were so epic they made me fall in love with video games in general. My friend used to come to my house and we used to be happy even blowing up a vehicle..

now games are too advanced.. they dont feel right.. maybe I'm getting too old.. maybe I'd drunk right now but damn I feel that GTA could be better.. GTA V didn't feel right.. it tries too hard. The idea is good but rockstar is losing that imagination and motivation they had.. probably becase they are getting old too. Now it's all about business. before it was all about fun. Those who get me get me

Rockstar is not losing the imagination as you state. Well motivation comes from the fans had they been not that crazy for the game V won't even exist. I agree that some where a suspicion does arise to the future prospects with Online becoming more prominent ever before.

You are not particular about what's wrong? what could be better? it tries too hard ..but in what sense? And they are growing old? ok so what? every thing gets old pretty fast now. 

It was business all the time. Just stick with this and you won't feel bad about any thing in life. Expectations are not always sweet they also turn out bitter and taste sh*t. Deal with it. Since it's just a game.

It will take another 100 years or so for any Developer to make me disappoint for their products as I have no interest in them but only what interests me. I am not sure how much this is important for them and So why should we burn our hearts for them. 

Just Enjoy, Dude! Don't worry if GTA V is not the same for you any more as there are plenty other games to fill the gap. 

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:47 AM Edited by damian001, 04 December 2013 - 08:59 AM.

Imagine if GTA IV never existed and GTA V was released as GTA IV. It would've blown your mind. GTA IV didn't have car customization, golf, animals, pets, tow trucks, moutains, planes, scuba-diving, swimming under water, jet skis, sharks, bicycles, 4-wheelers, buggies... the list goes on and on. Also, in GTA IV, you couldn't save anywhere you wanted, and the controls were sometimes frustratingly clunky for shooting and moving your character around.

GTA V is an enhancement in almost all areas from GTA IV. The only thing that I notice is downgraded is the euphoria engine. The AI doesn't seem as good. In GTA IV, when you hit a person going slow, the person would actually put their hands out to try and protect themselves or someone might stumble a bit, but not fall down. In GTA V, people pretty much fall down no matter what or just turn into ragdoll.

Yeah, I gotta agree with you on the ped physics there too. GTA IV felt more real and spontaneous, whereas V felt animated/scripted. I also hated how easily people died too. Anyone remember reticle health?

The one thing I primarily dislike about GTA V is the removal of features from GTA IV. So many things removed from the game..

-Civilian/Enemy health shown on reticle

-GPS  speech

-Pressing/Holding Triangle will leave engine on/turn it off.

-Multiple taxis. this is literally the first GTA with only one type of taxi... ALL the others had multiple versions. I was expecting to see a Dilettante rendition (Toyota Prius) of a taxi ingame considering how popular they are now. I wanted to see this ingame

LqJb6AQ.jpg

• Tikhung likes this

RobinTheBrave
  • RobinTheBrave

\ RobinTheDerp /

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

It's nostalgia. If you played a game like vice city today assuming the graphics were upped, I don't think it would have the same effect. 

GTA V surpasses it in my opinion even though I got more of a "wow" feeling when I first played Vice City (I also overlooked GTA III) 

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

If every GTA game was always the same, it would be facing the same problem CoD is right now.  The CoD series is dying extremely fast because its always the same thing over and over... and over... you get it.  GTA, while keeping the same core mechanics (killing, stealing cars, transport missions) always has a different feel, especially when you consider how different GTA 5 is from the previous GTA 4.  Sure, some of the changes (like car damage/handling and the horrid helicopter controls) are a bad step back, but everything else is a step forward and I'm enjoying the game very much.  Rockstar, for the most part, knows what they're doing with the GTA series and I feel it has 2 more decades of pure fun and enjoyment, with each game being different but having that 'GTA feel'.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

As for the vehicle theft side mission, do you really need a side mission to steal cars, in GTA IV, I found no appeal in going out and steeling a nice car, just to drive it back to the same location for some useless money when I could have just kept said car for myself.

Yes. In a game called Grand Theft Auto I'd expect at least some side mission surrounding vehicle theft. GTA IV had 10 to do for Brucie that all had unique scenarios and randomised with each play through aswell as the 30 for Stevie that were placed in random places to test the player's knowledge of the city. Even in the GTA III era it was always a good way to make some money and it was fun.

Although the driving in GTA V leaves a lot to be desired for I would've liked if we had an extensive list of vehicles that needed to be stolen around LS and Blaine County for a quick buck.

• NightSpectre and QuietJosh like this

RedwolfPsx
  • RedwolfPsx

Hidden

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:28 AM Edited by RedwolfPsx, 04 December 2013 - 09:29 AM.

Learn how to deal with nostalgia, and you'll be able to enjoy new games again (if you haven't grown out of gaming). Try playing GTA III, VC and SA now, I'm sure anything aside from the story doesn't feel so golden as you had remembered.

There are two games for me from the past, that to this day stay unsurpassed in their genres though: Baldur's Gate 2 and HoMM 3 (I still play them both regularly).

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

Some people when they reach a certain age stay stuck in the past. They don't like new games or new music or new anything. I am in my 30s but I refuse to go down that route and it sucks that some of my fellow 90s people are starting to become bitter old men when they really aren't old anymore.

BFR579
  • BFR579

"Till things are brighter, I'm the man in black."

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

I think it's just the nostalgia talking, I've been playing the series since the 2d era games, and every game was always fun - driving around running people over, taking a tank and blowing everything up, cop chases, crazy bugs, etc. It isn't different in V, and I think once a new gta comes out people will remember it more fondly than it seems now. (Especially if the pc version will receive good mods like the previous games, and many of the current problems with V will be fixed). 

Mathew4296
  • Mathew4296

Road Warrior

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

As much as I love GTA V, the PS2 era of Grand Theft Auto had a certain charm to it that the HD era games are lacking. I can't quite put my finger on what it was specifically, but it was definitely there.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

It appears people can't accept evolution, and just want their favourite product to be the same thing over and over.

No matter what anybody says, the fundamental and core heartbeat of GTA has stuck true to form throughout every game in the series - and that includes V. The problem here seems to be that certain people get so attached to a certain element(s) of one of the games, that if that particular element(s) happens to be missing from the next game, they start throwing their tampons around claiming it to be..."worst game eva/what happened to GTA/lazy rockstar/etc".

If Rockstar had made V to satisfy everyone and their aggressively demanding needs, we'd have a game that's on 6 discs...a development period of much more than 4/5 years...a terrible frame-rate to cope with everything on PS3/360....and last but not least....a sh*t-load more whining than we currently have on this depressing, troll-infested forum.

A online video game forum actually depresses you ?? Lol wow, is your everyday life that empty and void of anything else ??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users