• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3,804 replies to this topic
Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Cold Corner 3

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:10 PM Edited by Tommy., 09 June 2014 - 08:11 PM.

There's no doubt that making Pirlo's game difficult is important, but so is that number 10 role. Yh it's alright having Welbeck marking Pirlo but what about when we have the ball and are trying to attack? Welbeck isn't the player you want in that situation being your main play maker. He's good at running about and that's about it, he's not a good passer or a good dribbler and his ball control and technique aren't great. You tend to need those things in the number 10 role. He'd be more of a hindrance than a help going forward in that position. 

Keeping Pirlo quiet isn't as simple as sticking someone physical on him all game anyways. If it was that simple then he'd have been out of the job years ago, I don't care what Park did in one game against him. There's a reason he's regarded as one of the best playmakers ever, and if you really think Danny "defensive maestro" Welbeck being near him all game is going to stop him then fair enough, but he's come up against far better players and made mince meat of them. 

The reason I brought the suggestion up is because United sometimes use him there. No need to get over dramatical about it. My main point is I would have somebody there with good rate hence why I wouldn't play Lallana there.

And Hodgey your hatred for Welbeck is almost as funny as admiral's hate for Moyes.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

There's no doubt that making Pirlo's game difficult is important, but so is that number 10 role. Yh it's alright having Welbeck marking Pirlo but what about when we have the ball and are trying to attack? Welbeck isn't the player you want in that situation being your main play maker. He's good at running about and that's about it, he's not a good passer or a good dribbler and his ball control and technique aren't great. You tend to need those things in the number 10 role. He'd be more of a hindrance than a help going forward in that position. 

Keeping Pirlo quiet isn't as simple as sticking someone physical on him all game anyways. If it was that simple then he'd have been out of the job years ago, I don't care what Park did in one game against him. There's a reason he's regarded as one of the best playmakers ever, and if you really think Danny "defensive maestro" Welbeck being near him all game is going to stop him then fair enough, but he's come up against far better players and made mince meat of them. 

The reason I brought the suggestion up is because United sometimes use him there. No need to get over dramatical about it. My main point is I would have somebody there with good rate hence why I wouldn't play Lallana there.

And Hodgey your hatred for Welbeck is almost as funny as admiral's hate for Moyes.

I dont hate the guy, he's just sh*t and overrated.

Like Stu said his main ability is the fact he can run alot, which is fine if you are Mo Farah but not if you're suppose to be a international footballer.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Cold Corner 3

• The Yardies
  • Unknown

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

Like Stu said his main ability is the fact he can run alot, which is fine if you are Mo Farah but not if you're suppose to be a international footballer.

He offers more than that in my opinion. How can he be overrated? All he get's is stick. Only in England do we bash our best player and over players in the squad before a World Cup. Rooney, Lampard, Welbeck hell even James Milner are all on the chopping board before the tournement has even started.

Hodgson picked a good squad of players just wish we had a good right back.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:30 PM Edited by Hodgey., 09 June 2014 - 08:30 PM.

He offers more than that in my opinion. How can he be overrated? All he get's is stick. Only in England do we bash our best player and over players in the squad before a World Cup. Rooney, Lampard, Welbeck hell even James Milner are all on the chopping board before the tournement has even started.

Hodgson picked a good squad of players just wish we had a good right back.

Overrated in the sense that he constantly get's picked for England when he others deserve to be picked ahead of him.

Lampard shouldn't have gone as a younger player could of taken his place and been given a taste of what the WC is like. As Lampard probably wont play a whole lot.

Rooney has never scored in a WC, which is pathetic seeing as he was the next huge hope for England.

Welbeck we've been talking about.

Milner is fine for the most part.

As for right back in Johnson, I agree. He's the Welbeck of our defence. He'll run up and down the line all day but give him the ball and sit back and watch the f*ck ups. He's been doing this for a few years now for Liverpool and England and it just isnt good enough.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Cold Corner 3

• The Yardies
  • Unknown

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Rooney was playing with an injury in the 2006 World Cup. Everyone forgets he just made it to Germany due to breaking his foot not long before the tournement which he didn't fully recover from in time. 2010 he was sh*t but the whole squad were tbh. Everyone needs to stop pinning hopes on him, it's a team effort at the end of the day.

I'm sure he will perform this year though, he's looked focused on his game all season.

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

Rooney will be vital to England's hopes. Even if he doesn't score, he will still provide experience and great skill on the ball. England need to get a new Paul Scholes, someone who can pass the ball anywhere with their eyes closed and controls the game, but tackles better  :p

In other news around Brazil: More riots on the streets of Sao Paulo, with a train service strike scheduled to recommence the day before the first game. I really hope that my gut feeling is right, where the Brazilians will be glued to the TV enough to not care about their problems for the next month.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

Justr heard in the news that Sao Paulo's subway workers are on strike... This looks interesting.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Cold Corner 3

• The Yardies
  • Unknown

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:23 AM Edited by Tommy., 10 June 2014 - 10:24 AM.

Gerrard pulled out of training with a groin problem yesterday. Last thing we need is more injuries.

Also, looks like Hodgson has been reading this topic and has taken my advice to shut out Pirlo :p

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Also, looks like Hodgson has been reading this topic and has taken my advice to shut out Pirlo :p

He's playing Ji Sung Park then?

• Ari Gold likes this

Josh
  • Josh

I'm sitting in the middle waiting

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

So the BBC are doing a thing that lets you choose your best 11 from the tournament's history and compare it to their experts.

My team

Went for experience in goal and then just blitzed the whole thing with flair and attacking ability.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

Having fun hehe

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• The Yardies
  • Lesotho

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:51 PM Edited by NathanT, 11 June 2014 - 02:01 PM.

One minute I'm looking forward to the World Cup, the next minute I realise I'll have to look at and listen to Adrian Chiles on a daily basis. :barf:

• Crokey and Tommy. like this

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

One minute I'm looking forward to the World Cup, the next minute I realise I'll have to look at and listen to Adrian Chiles on a daily basis. :barf:

Save us BBC!

• Nlwt likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Now that it's gotten closer to the start of the WC I believe England will do much better than people expect. I had them not getting past the group stages a few months ago but I believe we will get to the quarters at least, if not the semi's with a bit of luck.

• Vercetti42 and Detective Phelps like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:33 PM Edited by Vercetti42, 11 June 2014 - 02:35 PM.

Now that it's gotten closer to the start of the WC I believe England will do much better than people expect. I had them not getting past the group stages a few months ago but I believe we will get to the quarters at least, if not the semi's with a bit of luck.

Same here. I honestly see Italy going down early. 

People may flame me for this but I do not think that Pirlo would do well in the world cup at all. Granted, he did well in italy but that was in italy, I bet if it was the PL he would have struggled a lot more.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's an italian great but I doubt he'd shine at this year's WC like some people are saying or at-least I think they are.

a cactus
  • a cactus

king sh*t of f*ck mountain

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

If I'm not mistaken I believe FIFA is going to stream all the games live for free too. At least that's what I've heard. And then there's the CBC streaming all the games for sure, just be sure to get Hola Unblocker installed so they think you're a Canadian. I guess this only applies if you're watching from your computer, though. I take it you've got a luxurious television

@Hodgey, much nicer avatar you've got there. I hope you keep it year 'round. That way I'm no longer forced to ignore all your posts :p

• Nlwt likes this

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:43 PM Edited by stu, 11 June 2014 - 04:44 PM.

I like Adriaan Chiles, and Nathan I've seen one or two of your posts in the member's photo topic. You could pass off as his son lol so I don't know what you're giving him jip for. :p

Welbeck is injured by the sounds of it and probably won't feature against Italy. Damn, guess we'll just have to get butt raped by Pirlo now without our defensive stalwart to stop him. it could be a blessing in disguise though because now Roy will have to play someone good.  Now if only Johnson could get stabbed in a favela...

• Tommy. and Nlwt like this

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Cold Corner 3

• The Yardies
  • Unknown

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Welbeck is injured by the sounds of it and probably won't feature against Italy. Damn, guess we'll just have to get butt raped by Pirlo now without our defensive stalwart to stop him. it could be a blessing in disguise though because now Roy will have to play someone good.  Now if only Johnson could get stabbed in a favela...

Too far lol.

And I didn't once say Welbeck was great defensively just got good work rate. If Fergie thinks he's good enough to play that role then he quite obviously is.

dead-horse.gif

• GTA_stu likes this

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Dont get your hopes up.

England will have to play very well or at least have a lucky charm to get out of their group.

I for one don't see England lifting the trophy this year and I won't go to Brazil expecting them to do so.

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• The Yardies
  • Lesotho

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:43 PM Edited by NathanT, 11 June 2014 - 05:45 PM.

I like Adriaan Chiles, and Nathan I've seen one or two of your posts in the member's photo topic. You could pass off as his son lol so I don't know what you're giving him jip for. :p

The tiny ounce of respect I once had for you has been disintegrated... you're the only person I know of with a head bigger than his :p

...okay I admit I'm an ugly bastard :cry:

Here's a question my Grandad asked me; who do you think will shine for the England team? Like who will perform much better than we think they will?

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

It's that big brain of mine you see, fills up a lot of space. Although it does allow me to give great footballing insight and knowledge, such as "Tottenham have just signed Chadli, you know I think they might have a shot at the title this year." 

Has anyone seen the pitch we'll be playing on? It looks f*cking awful. Maybe looks are deceiving, but it doesn't look like it plays very well at all. Could actually be to our advantage though, since Italy are obviously the better passing side.
  • Nlwt likes this

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

I like Adriaan Chiles

I think you have an extra A in there.

• a cactus and GTA_stu like this

a cactus
  • a cactus

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

u guys, srsly. There's about to be 64 games played in the space of 30 days..

Wu2EyEt.gif

• Max, Tommy., Shou and 1 other like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

Too far lol.

And I didn't once say Welbeck was great defensively just got good work rate. If Fergie thinks he's good enough to play that role then he quite obviously is.

Fergie once thought Djemba Djemba was a good signing so not every thought he has is golden.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Cold Corner 3

• The Yardies
  • Unknown

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Too far lol.

Fergie once thought Djemba Djemba was a good signing so not every thought he has is golden.
But the point is Welbeck has proven it against Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

Can't believe it f*cking starts tomorrow. Tipping Brazil to win the tournament btw.

Nathan, hard to say really. Maybe Rooney will finally deliver in a World Cup for England. He's been great for United this season and has been injury free *touch wood*
  • Nlwt likes this

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• The Yardies
  • Lesotho

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

u guys, srsly. There's about to be 64 games played in the space of 30 days..

GIF

I think this one sums it up better:

bff.gif

• Doc Rikowski likes this

dante財閥
  • dante財閥

財閥

• The Connection
  • France

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

Sorry if this has already been covered, but has anyone set up a fantasy league for GTAF? On Mirror/Sun preferably; only because the official FIFA McDonalds one is terrible!

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

I like Adriaan Chiles

I think you have an extra A in there.

Oops. Guess I made a Freudriaan slip. 

• Adriaan and a cactus like this

a cactus
  • a cactus

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

Sorry if this has already been covered, but has anyone set up a fantasy league for GTAF? On Mirror/Sun preferably; only because the official FIFA McDonalds one is terrible!

Didn't know they had one but I'll play if you set it up. I'm in the McDonalds one and it's scoring system is pretty lame. 

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• The Yardies
  • Lesotho

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

The McDonalds one sucks arse. I'd definitely be into that if one was to be set up. Gotta be quick though I guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users