FIFA World Cup 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3,804 replies to this topic
iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:38 PM Edited by iNero, 06 December 2013 - 05:30 PM.

logo-copa-brasil-fifa01-entropy.jpg

I thought, since the pots for friday's draws are set, we could finally open a World Cup Thread.

Pot1: Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Switzerland

Pot2: Algeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, Chile, Ecuador

Pot3: Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, United States

Pot4: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia

As there are more than 8 European Team, one of the 9 European teams will be drawn into Pot2 before the final drawings.

The draws take place this friday ( 6th Dec ) at 5pm CET in Costa do Sauipe.

Ill Update OP with the final groups afterwards. 

The Groups:

qcebfMa.png

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

l'administration vous emmerde

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:44 PM Edited by TheCacti, 03 December 2013 - 05:45 PM.

Gonna be exciting. I have a feeling USA will get some stupid difficult group like: Colombia, France, Netherlands. hell, i'd be happy for the challenge..

and while that logo is pretty badass, is it fan-made? because the emblem at top-right is the 2002 Korea/Japan design. 

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Gonna be exciting. I have a feeling USA will get some stupid difficult group like: Colombia, France, Netherlands. hell, i'd be happy for the challenge..

and while that logo is pretty badass, is it fan-made? because the emblem at top-right is the 2002 Korea/Japan design. 

I searched fo one. There were multiple ones, so I choosed this one. It was used by some newssites so I guess its an official one. Doesnt matter anyway.

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

I hope Colombia will have a decent run. Belgium too.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:12 AM Edited by TheCacti, 04 December 2013 - 01:13 AM.

I searched fo one. There were multiple ones, so I choosed this one. It was used by some newssites so I guess its an official one. Doesnt matter anyway.

First time I've seen it. I think it's way cooler anyways than the one FIFA has been actively using: (too generic and uninspiring)

world-cup-logo-2014.jpg

Michael_Westin
  • Michael_Westin

OperatorStatus

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

The USA has a interesting pot draw and could easily be in that "group of death". Mexico made it by a miracle ( literally) and Spain, do they have it in them to go for the repeat? Those 3 are the ones I'm keeping my eyes on. The pressure is on Brazil to win it all, anything short is failure.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

I really hope Belgium have a decent run, they've got a nice young talented side. I'll be rooting for Germany, but Brazil are the favorites at this moment I guess, considering their recent run of form and home advantage.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

It's going to be very difficult for Brazil to win. I'm not convinced with the Confederations Cup win. We've been playing mostly easy games, prolonging our "unbeaten" run, but not really being challenged. Will Neymar rise to the occasion? I don't think so, and Brazil is really counting on him. We also lack an experienced clinical finisher, like Ronaldo, Romario or even Adriano this time around. If we make it to the final, though, I'm sure FIFA will find a way to help us out. Otherwise, as long as we don't get knocked out by Argentina, it will be a victory. 

But the cup is a disaster in Brazil already though. Hundreds of millions being wasted in stadiums in the middle of nowhere, no real upgrade to the infrastructure, it will be hell to get anywhere during the games, as well as not very safe at all. And we'll most likely see a repeat of the Confederations Cup performance by the general populace. I'm glad I'll be watching it on TV, in a far away country,

• BOSS 302 likes this

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'm glad I'll be watching it on TV, in a far away country,

Interesting you should say that as a Brazilian because I was trying desperately to get there. Sadly I couldn't get the money together and it looks like I'll have to go to a World cup in such hell holes as Russia and Quatar. 

You say it will be very unsafe, more so than South America normally? Also, with regards to the infrastructure, has there been any money spent there at all?

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:20 AM

As a Spaniard i want Spain to win. We need to unite and froget about corruption and unemployment at least for a second. ESPAÑA!!!
  • ChokingChild likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:38 AM

I'm glad I'll be watching it on TV, in a far away country,

Interesting you should say that as a Brazilian because I was trying desperately to get there. Sadly I couldn't get the money together and it looks like I'll have to go to a World cup in such hell holes as Russia and Quatar. 

You say it will be very unsafe, more so than South America normally? Also, with regards to the infrastructure, has there been any money spent there at all?

It's not as bad as say, Venezuela or Bolivia or Colombia, at least not overall, but the areas around some of the stadium, the Sao Paulo one in particular, are quite dangerous with high murder/mugging/kidnapping rates.

Some money, yes, but most of the works will be ready after the world cup. There's already a problem with airports being extremely busy and with huge delays, and an ailing public transportation system in most of the world cup cities. So yeah, we won't see any of the benefits FIFA likes to tout for years and years, if at all.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:13 AM Edited by AceKingston, 05 December 2013 - 03:13 AM.

Here in India the matches start at about 3 - 4 AM in the early morning, no way for me to watch the matches live.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:33 AM

Here in India the matches start at about 3 - 4 AM in the early morning, no way for me to watch the matches live.

I remember 2002 when I was a little kid. That year I finished elementary school ( germany ).

From what I remember, school was already out when WC started, and Games started like at 11am or even earlier. ( cant remember 100%)

was kind of cool to watch live football in the morning hahah

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

I remember 2002 when I was a little kid. That year I finished elementary school ( germany ).

From what I remember, school was already out when WC started, and Games started like at 11am or even earlier. ( cant remember 100%)

was kind of cool to watch live football in the morning hahah

When the Eurocup 2008, I remember I brought to school a small radio and plugued in my small headphones and listen to Spain's matches in class without the teacher noticing. I got kicked out for shouting in the middle of the lesson "GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!"

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

It's going to be very difficult for Brazil to win. I'm not convinced with the Confederations Cup win. We've been playing mostly easy games, prolonging our "unbeaten" run, but not really being challenged. Will Neymar rise to the occasion? I don't think so, and Brazil is really counting on him. We also lack an experienced clinical finisher, like Ronaldo, Romario or even Adriano this time around. If we make it to the final, though, I'm sure FIFA will find a way to help us out. Otherwise, as long as we don't get knocked out by Argentina, it will be a victory. 

Pretty surprised to hear you say that. While yes you haven't played many competitive matches, the Confed Cup served as a pretty good test to see how they perform under the pressure of the home crowd, and look what happened. They blew away the competition, brushing aside a world-dominant Spain side in the process. And I don't understand all the doubts surrounding Neymar either. They put huge expectations on him ahead of the Confed Cup and he was excellent. Seems to be doing quite well at Barcelona as well in spite of all the doubt greeting his arrival in Europe. The whole Brazil team is excellent, nevermind if one striker doesn't perform as well as expected. 

I do agree with you though that it's going to be difficult for them to win it, but more so because there will be so many good teams capable of doing the same (Germany is going to be sick, and of course Spain, Argentina, and even Uruguay will put up a really good challenge for anyone). 

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Pretty surprised to hear you say that. While yes you haven't played many competitive matches, the Confed Cup served as a pretty good test to see how they perform under the pressure of the home crowd, and look what happened. They blew away the competition, brushing aside a world-dominant Spain side in the process. And I don't understand all the doubts surrounding Neymar either. They put huge expectations on him ahead of the Confed Cup and he was excellent. Seems to be doing quite well at Barcelona as well in spite of all the doubt greeting his arrival in Europe. The whole Brazil team is excellent, nevermind if one striker doesn't perform as well as expected. 

I do agree with you though that it's going to be difficult for them to win it, but more so because there will be so many good teams capable of doing the same (Germany is going to be sick, and of course Spain, Argentina, and even Uruguay will put up a really good challenge for anyone). 

Spain in the Confed Cup was in fit enough due to player's physical problems like:

1) David Villa: Had played with FC Barcelona the current season less minutes than deserved too.

2) Torres: was not scoring many goals

3) Pedro: Was not fit enough

4) Xavi Hernandez: Was too tired due to the pressure in La Liga and the elimination on FC Barcelona off the Champions League by Bayern Munich.

5) Casillas: spent most games in the bench because Mourinho decided Diego Lopez was better

6) Pique: Likes to spend time banging Shakira than actually doing his job.

And much more...

It's going to be fun if Diego Costa plays with Spain how are the Brazilian fans going to react on the pitch.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Spain is not without their problems, but mostly all of those reasons you mentioned are completely frivolous. The same reasons could easily apply to just about any other team! (I'm sure Oscar and David Luiz deal a fair amount of pressure themselves in the Premier League, and people not getting enough minutes, etc..) Besides, despite Spain being "not fit enough," they still played very well en route to the final, where they were then brushed aside by a superior Brazil team. 

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

Even so, Spain was playing nowhere near up to the standard they've been used to in other games, such as World Cup and the Euro. And all the home pressure means, to me, that FIFA was more interested in seeing Brazil win it and calm the people's nerves more than anything else, and you know how they can get their way sometimes. And we've won the past 3 confederations cup, yet our performances in the last two world cups were awful, so it's only fair to not use it as a measure of Brazil's skills.

You don't understand the doubt about Neymar because you don't know how the people/media in Brazil were claiming him to be the saviour of everything, which he isn't, which led to many of us who have a deeper interest in football to doubt his abilities. He has yet to prove himself at a higher level, his start at Barca being nothing special, and his inability to take charge after Messi's injuries just proving it further. For the national team he's very inconsistent. Once in a while he'll score an easy goal, but he'll kill many attacks by trying to use his individuality or prove his super skills by playing it fancy. And also, he's a diver. Exaggerates any possible touch on his person, which is beyond annoying. In any case, he's not a clinical striker, and Brazil needs a clinical striker more than they need a flamboyant winger/striker.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:50 PM Edited by TheCacti, 06 December 2013 - 04:15 PM.

You're right about the inconsistency between Brazil's previous Confed Cup performances and then subsequent WC performances. But without having played any qualifiers or other competitive matches lately, this summer's Confed Cup is much more relevant for a basis of judgement than any oddball friendlies that they've played, likely away from home too. That's why I used it as an example. 

Re: Neymar, I think the problem doesn't really lie in himself but more so the unreasonable expectations that the Brazilian people/media are putting on him (e.g. "savior of everything," jesus, what a title to wear..), and it seems like you would somewhat agree with that according to what you wrote. I'm not surprised either that a 21 year old isn't putting in consistent performances week in, week out. Yet interestingly, out of the 5 confed cup games played this summer he managed to score in all but one. At least he's making a little progress on that front. I think all this talk about Neymar's abilities or relationship to the national team are besides the point, anyways, because Brazil are hardly a one-man team. 

Really looking forward to this draw. Don't know why, but I kinda want to get drawn with Russia. I can't recall a time where we've (USA)actually played them competitively. 

http://www.fifa.com/.../live-blog.html

http://espn.go.com/w...unchPlayer/true

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

Rap and Samba dont fit at all... at least the stuff they are doing there.. imo

LosKnightsTemplar
  • LosKnightsTemplar

Grand Master

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Group A: Brazil, Mexico, Croatia and Cameroon

Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia and Netherlands.

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast and Japan.

Group D: Uruguay, England, Costa Rica and Italy.

Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France and Honduras.

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria.

Group G: Germany, Ghana, Portugal and USA.

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia and South Korea.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

qcebfMa.png

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Group G..ouch! I at least hope we'll enjoy ourselves. 

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

We have a decent Group. I dont think that we will have many problems with USA, Portugal or Ghana. I guess Portugal will make it through, along with us.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

2014 FIFA WC Prediction League 15th place.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:24 PM Edited by Der_Don, 06 December 2013 - 06:25 PM.

We have a decent Group. I dont think that we will have many problems with USA, Portugal or Ghana. I guess Portugal will make it through, along with us.

Do not underestimate Klinsi's US-boys. I think they are a bigger threat than Portugal. I agree though that it shouldn't be a problem for us to make it out of that group.

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

Colombia should finish well ahead of the rest in the group. France have rather an easy group tbh.

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• Members
  • Lesotho

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

France have the easiest of groups, but I'm happy with England's draw (apart from Uruguay), some interesting matches.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Group A or Group G is the group of death this time around. Although I would personally say that Group G is slightly harder so I would go with Group G.

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• Members
  • Lesotho

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

I find it interesting that Holland and Spain are in the same group as the winners and runners-up of the last WC.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

C and E look to be the weakest, with Ivory Coast and France respectively being the biggest names there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users