Photo

After ~230 hours of GTA I started playing Red Dead Redemption for the

85 replies to this topic
Dave Rizza
  • Dave Rizza

AWC

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:10 AM

I literally finished Red Dead Redemption yesterday and although the story is amazing the amount of game breaking glitches ruined the experience for me

What glitches? I've never had any issues with RDR across 3 full playthroughs.

3 Full playthroughs here to 100% each time and none of those issues here on 360. Had issues on multi with lag and d/c stuff but upgraded internet and was fine up to legend 3/50 where i stayedas i loved my Marshals badge. Hundreds of hours in.

• BuyMeTheMoon likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:15 AM

They are both great games and it is hard to pick.

Halo_Override
  • Halo_Override

Dilettante

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

For me, RDR had that same wonderful sense of place that San Andreas had. That, plus the job LA Noire did of reproducing Los Angeles (different developers, I know) raised my hopes and expectations for V's Los Santos.

I like V a lot, but so far it's missing that immersion factor for me, where I look forward to travelling around in the world. Maybe once I've 100%ed it and can drift around the map without worrying about getting things done, I'll sink into it more.

• tom_p1980 likes this

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:02 AM

I really liked RDR's atmospheric storytelling but the missions themselves were rather drawn out and boring. 

I haven't even finished V's story (haven't really touched SP since MP came out) but all the missions I recall were pretty interesting and different. The missions overall were better in V than RDR but the underlying theme that ties it all together was much better in RDR imo. 

The characters and voiceacting in RDR was superb, the characters in V.. not so much. 

And maybe it had to do with the fact of being landlocked, but the map in RDR was much more immersive.. Being able to see the entire island from the sky sort of kills the illusion in some sort. 

Both are great games and from a technical standpoint V is far beyond what RDR achieved but sometimes it's not all about the fancy hardware that makes a game great, it's much more than that.

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

Rockstar got lazy after gta 4 ballad of tony

This. BoGT wasn't completely bad as it still had IV and TLaD as a bases, but you can tell that's where the quality started to fall in terms of story at least. (My opinion of course.)

5Skinner
  • 5Skinner

Player Hater

• Members
  • Christmas-Island

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:20 AM

I didn't like RDR, hell i didn't like red dead revolver either. Very over rated IMO.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:07 AM Edited by SmoothGTA, 05 December 2013 - 08:49 AM.

@Official General

As far as the action movie references google Heat armored truck robbery and Leathal Weapon 2 pulling down house

More on topic it's tough for me to decide. The wanted systems are so different in each game.

RDR gave us witnesses, having bounties on your head, frontier style shoot outs.

Where GTAV obviously has a much more urban and modern approach to law enforcement, with consequences stacking up quickly.

I'll play whichever one suits the style I'm in the mood for.

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

That's what they did with GTA IV's story arc, it had three protagonists with an interweaving story, so obviously they're familiar with it, they just got lazy with V's story...

It's much different than IV. In IV there were three separate stories that cross path 2-3 times, while in V they actively live and work together within the same frame so it is harder to write V.

Although they only crossed paths a few times, their actions impacted each other's stories greatly. From Johnny having to kidnap Roman, to Manny's death giving Luis' friend Troy a new job; it truly felt like the story was more than just the character you were playing as. While there's also three protagonists in V, their stories are so close together that it still feels like a single character story, and an average one at that. In IV, the plot can be seen as one or even three seperate stories depending on how you look at it, and that's absolutely brilliant.

If Rockstar does multiple protagonists again, I hope they go that route instead.

• PulpFiction likes this

ExitiumMachina
  • ExitiumMachina

What?

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:51 AM Edited by ExitiumMachina, 04 December 2013 - 09:52 AM.

Well, I mean...It is a different era as well.  Red Dead Redemption absolutely has everything right, but it is also in a world less populated than that of Grand Theft Auto.  The era that Red Dead is set in worked perfectly for RAGE, it was an amazing combination coupled with Rockstar's true to form brilliant writing (That you may, or may not always agree with).  Trying the same in a city, no, state full of population coming and going, doing their own things...All of these AI's computing different paths; would naturally be difficult.

I, however, am absolutely impressed with Grand Theft Auto V and hope Rockstar will continue in the direction they are currently going...Just with less online focus, and maybe a tad more to the story.

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:27 PM Edited by pokemon4ever, 04 December 2013 - 02:28 PM.

RDR is superior by every word. Infact, V has quite a few features reminiscent of RDR.

You see RDR is already at the top of gaming history's best open world game. V has yet to surpass it.

Except V's graphics and amount of beautiful world RDR offers. There is not much to compare. A classic is a classic. V is a new born baby and of course walks away as the most loved at the moment.

As I read this post, I imagined it would be something that Bert would say. Then I scroll down and see he's added another dumb reply of his to it. I'm a f*cking wizard.

Zodape
  • Zodape

DEN HEUSER

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

RDR's sky during night beats everything.

It's so f*cking beautiful.

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

Rockstar got lazy after gta 4 ballad of tony

This. BoGT wasn't completely bad as it still had IV and TLaD as a bases, but you can tell that's where the quality started to fall in terms of story at least. (My opinion of course.)

But remember how loads of fans whined when they said TLaD and IV;s story were to dark, @ least with BoGT you don't spend 3/4 of the story dealing w/ Dave and Steve

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

This ain't no RDR forum.. and don't forget it is R* first time having multiple protags.. if I assume correctly, that is harder than making a story for one protag, as you have to intertwine all the protags with the story.

Edit: Lol, you both have same join date

That's what they did with GTA IV's story arc, it had three protagonists with an interweaving story, so obviously they're familiar with it, they just got lazy with V's story...

I don't think they got lazy. I think they had to rewrite a lot of the game, you can tell this by certain things in the game. I can't give any examples off the top of my head, but if you look for them, you'll see.

One thing that I'm starting to think, is that Lamar was supposed to be the Third protagonist. Think about it. Franklin has almost no personality whatsoever.
  • visionist likes this

Brian359
  • Brian359

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Ballad of Gay Tony was the only one of those I enjoyed even if Luis Lopez was a stupid character.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Playa

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

I agree with you Red dead redemption is the best game rockstar ever made

V looks so sh*tty in comparison

sry folks good graphics is not everything

RDR had a better story, better characters and just a better overall feeling

• visionist likes this

Brian359
  • Brian359

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

Ballad of Gay Tony was the only one of those I enjoyed even if Luis Lopez was a stupid character.

carmelo3
  • carmelo3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:47 PM Edited by carmelo3, 04 December 2013 - 03:50 PM.

RDR is better IMO

The world is much more immersive, NPC's actually live their own lives, better story and John Marston is a stronger protagonist than M, F or T.

Only thing I'll give to GTA V over RDR is it's not as boring to play once you've done EVERYTHING in the game. But even so GTA V is pretty still pretty boring once you've done everything.

Brian359
  • Brian359

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

Past few months I've done them all bar Undead Nightmare which I intend to do next. I like Red Dead Redemption but the glitches wreck it.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

NPC's actually live their own lives

Weird. Most of what I saw was people standing outside shops for entire days, or going to the saloon. Much like V, to be honest. There are a few that are quite active, in as much as they'll go from one building to another (poker players, for example) but the more generic peds seem to just stand around. Not much of a revolution in my books. 

Wiredmike420
  • Wiredmike420

Team Leader

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Why are you guys comparing 2 different game franchises?

You do realize that all video game companies like to have MULTIPLE projects, NOT just 1.

They won't make GTA into Red Dead because they would lose the GTA fan following. And they won't turn Red Dead into the simplistic GTA as they would lose Red Dead fans.

These are 2 separate games with different concepts. GTA is fun how it is, if your not enjoying your experience your probably among the younger generation who switches games every couple days/weeks. This isn't some new concept, GTA has been evolving for 16 years now. Red Dead is only 11 years old and isn't programmed in the same manner.

Funny how so many people complain about how GTA isn't like Red Dead. You apparently don't understand world commerce. Its how it works in most industries.

Would you rather have 10 different items to sell, or 1 item to sell. Its common sense.

• mastershake616 likes this

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

I actually think the graphics are better in Red Dead Redemption, not sure why though. Probably because it looks like a living painting, the sunsets are f*cking gorgeous. I also liked looting dead bodies and being able to sell goods to merchants.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Red Deads Story was so superior to V's it really is like comparing the Godfather to Twilight or something.

:sui:

carmelo3
  • carmelo3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

NPC's actually live their own lives

Weird. Most of what I saw was people standing outside shops for entire days, or going to the saloon. Much like V, to be honest. There are a few that are quite active, in as much as they'll go from one building to another (poker players, for example) but the more generic peds seem to just stand around. Not much of a revolution in my books. 

Ive seen NPC's chopping up wood for a while, they work up a sweat while doing this so then proceed to take a shower at some open air faucet thing. After that they join a group of other NPC's huddling around a camp fire, another NPC starts playing some sort of violin then after a while the same NPC that was chopping wood leaves the camp fire and heads to a dorm where he lies down a a bed and goes to sleep.

In the press release for GTA V R* stated it will be a culmination of everything they have learned about open world games over the years, so I ASSUMED that what I saw in RDR would be greatly expanded upon.

Sadly and surprisingly, in terms of NPC behaviour, it was a step down from what I saw in RDR.

GTA Master 007
  • GTA Master 007

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Red dead is crap to gta v, don't you guys get annoyed by the horses noise that it makes while running, sure its realistic but damn

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:09 PM Edited by mastershake616, 04 December 2013 - 07:13 PM.

I love both of these games, but I have yet to pick which is my favorite.

L.A. Noire was a very solid game, too, but it doesn't boast much replay value. You'd have to distance yourself from that game quite a bit before going back through the campaign, because it's as much a movie as it is a game. There are 40 "side" cases, which are nothing more than chasing down and shooting criminals. The story is great, but there's no way to "lose." You can die during shootouts, but there's always an option to skip the action. And, if you ask the wrong questions, or incorrectly accuse/charge suspects, there's really no penalty. The story progresses no matter what you do. 

It' not a free roam game, either, even though it passes off the illusion of being so. It has maybe the biggest city map I've ever seen in a game, however there's very little to do with it. There's no point to driving when you can have your partner drive for you. And there's no GPS. Why the hell not? RDR had a GPS. In this game, you have to ask your partner for directions, which gets unbelievably annoying after a while. 

I know this isn't about L.A. Noire, so do excuse the mini-rant. 

Talking about bugs, glitches, and freezes -- RDR gave me big headaches that GTA V didn't. Sometimes it worked; other times it didn't. I had to call Rockstar support to get advice to make the game playable again. This was a crippling aspect to an otherwise unforgettable gaming experience. I bought RDR for $20, which is an absolute steal, and to this day the ending resonates with me as perhaps the best in any video game (that I've played, of course.)

GTA V was Thanksgiving dinner to me, as I shamelessly devoured the story line well before GTA:O was released. I adored every gritty, disgusting, scornful moment of it. There was never a boring moment, and the missions had ten times the variety of those in any GTA that preceded it. 

I've bashed the hell out of a lot of the whiny little piss-ants (the OP is likely deserving of that title) on these forums, but I will say this: everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and it's very unlikely that these opinions can be changed by words on a computer screen. 

Hear me out, though. 

The characters in the GTA franchise (save the protagonist(s) and maybe a couple of minor characters) aren't supposed to be likable. Many of them are projections of modern archetypes, for example: Jimmy De Santa, Simeon, Freelander, Haines, Weston, etc. GTA has developed into a hilarious satire of American society over the years, and the game was developed in the UK. It may not appease your sense of humor, but don't mistake it for something that fails to be serious enough, because it's not meant to be that serious. It's not Max Payne, it's not RDR, it's not The Last of Us. It's the game that allows you beat up strippers with baseball bats, and it always will be. 

TL;DR: Stop whining, whore. 

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

Why are you guys comparing 2 different game franchises?

You do realize that all video game companies like to have MULTIPLE projects, NOT just 1.

They won't make GTA into Red Dead because they would lose the GTA fan following. And they won't turn Red Dead into the simplistic GTA as they would lose Red Dead fans.

These are 2 separate games with different concepts. GTA is fun how it is, if your not enjoying your experience your probably among the younger generation who switches games every couple days/weeks. This isn't some new concept, GTA has been evolving for 16 years now. Red Dead is only 11 years old and isn't programmed in the same manner.

Funny how so many people complain about how GTA isn't like Red Dead. You apparently don't understand world commerce. Its how it works in most industries.

Would you rather have 10 different items to sell, or 1 item to sell. Its common sense.

And you gotta love the "GTA V borrows from RDR" point. I mean come on, think just a little bit, kiddies. The inclusion of GTA-style freedom and gameplay is what put the Red Dead franchise on the map. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users