Photo

Lower your brightness

34 replies to this topic
Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:00 AM Edited by Wolfhuman, 18 December 2013 - 11:15 PM.

Guys, this has probably been said before but some maybe didn't catch it, lower your brightness. Most of you probably got the thing in the middle. But you got to have it until you can barely see the R* logo. And if you still see the R* fine, then lower your tv brightness. The game looks much better that way. Dark is dark and day feels more real, IMO. And IMO, it looks (looks) like the screens and trailers.

Just a friendly advice and here are some (wise) words:

Indeed and that's the shame of it. 99% of people don't give the brightness/gamma in-game setting any thought and they just rush through to play the game. Then they complain when it looks washed out and gray and ugly.

By getting it so that the logo is just barely visible, you are coming close to matching the settings they use in office when developing the game. In other words, the intended look of the game.

I totally agree with you. If you're driving a car with a dark-ish color at night, you shouldn't be able to tell what color it actually is (i.e. navy blue, black, brown etc.). That holds true when you go outside in real life and look at vehicles driving at night.

It also makes the flashlight attachment on weapons much, much more useful. 

Also, the "oil painting" effect is entirely eradicated when doing this. 

Give it a shot, folks. 

I was exploring Blaine County and realized that in real life some streets don't have lights yet I could see the entire world perfectly at 2:00am GTA time, so I adjusted the brightness at night to 6 points below the halfway point for night and exactly on half brightness during the day.

It feels incredible to rely on your headlights for night time driving :)

Before:

l9yw.jpg

After:

hzye.jpg

Before:

v8bo.jpg

After:

98y8.jpg

Before:

2ymj0j9.jpg

After:

10ih4kg.jpg

Before:

wh037k.jpg

After:

2ajnwpz.jpg

Before:

mtm6.jpg

After:

715z.jpg

Before:

qwux.jpg

After:

d8h9.jpg

Thanks to: DarkL3ad3r, for providing some pics.

• Xx-ADITYA-xX, Empty World, WildBrick142 and 6 others like this

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:41 AM

This also helps with the 'oil painting' look a lot of people are complaining about.
  • DaRkL3AD3R and Android like this

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

I like to play it with the TV turned off... saves on electricity too!

Maybe its just my screen but it looks a little too dark in those comparison pictures... the setting I have (default) seems about right for a city at night... although out in the country it seems like a full moon every night.

It would have been nice if Rockstar had carried through on that feature, although it was just an article where someone was quoting a Rockstar designer, one topic they claimed to be working on was a more realistic night... which it is if you only have full moons where you come from.

• stjimmy3 likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:43 AM

Doesn't lowering the game brightness just give you a smaller brightness gamut? Just change your TV brightness.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:48 AM

Yeah I did this a while ago. The game just looks terrible on the default setting.
  • Wolfhuman and DaRkL3AD3R like this

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

I totally agree with you. If you're driving a car with a dark-ish color at night, you shouldn't be able to tell what color it actually is (i.e. navy blue, black, brown etc.). That holds true when you go outside in real life and look at vehicles driving at night.

Give it a shot, folks. 

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:51 AM

Yeah, and if possible, set your TV to Chroma 4:4:4 Mode (usually under "PC"), and pay attention to what Rockstar says "Full Range RGB", set both your console AND TV to that so it can display the full colour range without crushing blacks or dulling whites.

• Wolfhuman, Osho and Android like this

HoleInTheSky
  • HoleInTheSky

random fanatic

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:02 AM Edited by HoleInTheSky, 03 December 2013 - 03:02 AM.

I also lowered my TV's saturation level. Too much vibrancy, and it looks like a Sims game. 

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

Give it a shot, folks. 

Yes, people indeed need to give it a shot. Now i am actually forced to use my carlight.

Yeah, and if possible, set your TV to Chroma 4:4:4 Mode (usually under "PC"), and pay attention to what Rockstar says "Full Range RGB", set both your console AND TV to that so it can display the full colour range without crushing blacks or dulling whites.

Thanks

Osho
  • Osho

Gameplay to the Max!

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

This thread just made me realize how stupid of me to waste 100 hours without lowering the brightness. 

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Normal brightness in game(like recommended), lower brightness on TV and less saturation?

I've been struggling with finding the perfect combinations on my tv. I'll try this

Giles Flaggot 1
  • Giles Flaggot 1

Giles Flaggot 1

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hey! :)

This was one of the first things I did when I started playing.

I was exploring Blaine County and realized that in real life some streets don't have lights yet I could see the entire world perfectly at 2:00am GTA time, so I adjusted the brightness at night to 6 points below the halfway point for night and exactly on half brightness during the day.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

Normal brightness in game(like recommended), lower brightness on TV and less saturation?

I've been struggling with finding the perfect combinations on my tv. I'll try this

Sadly enough i can't make a picture of mine brightness because the phone camera won't work so well. If you can see the logo good without any struggle then the brightness is probably too high. Lower your in game brightness until you barely can see the R* logo. If you can still can see the R* logo without a problem or struggle then you need to lower the brightness of your tv. So the logo needs to be not so visible, barely visible.  You need to struggle a bit to see the logo (but not too much struggle tho, haha). Hope it helps. It makes the game much more beautiful.

Hey! :)

This was one of the first things I did when I started playing.

I agree, i am forced to use my headlights.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yeah I did this a while ago. The game just looks terrible on the default setting.

Indeed and that's the shame of it. 99% of people don't give the brightness/gamma in-game setting any thought and they just rush through to play the game. Then they complain when it looks washed out and gray and ugly.

Basically, pro tip for anyone out there looking to get proper colors/lighting out of their games: find your monitor/tv's sweet spot using something simple, like a color/brightness slider on a PC. Tune your screen, then never touch it again. Now every game you play, go into the settings and they usually include a logo of some sort that. You ALWAYS want this logo to be "just barely" visible. This is like industry standard. If their logo is mega bright and easy to see, almost like it's an advertising logo, then you're doing it wrong.

The reason they do this is because of varying screen settings and quality. By having the symbol there, they give you a mark to shoot for. By getting it so that the logo is just barely visible, you are coming close to matching the settings they use in office when developing the game. In other words, the intended look of the game.

I really don't know how people can just ignore this. The default in-game brightness setting is pretty much overblown for nearly all screens out there. I've tried hooking up my system to multiple tvs and screens and the result was always washed out ugly images.

So take Wolfhuman's advice guys. If you haven't touched this setting yet, you really need to do so.

• Wolfhuman likes this

Empty World
  • Empty World

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Darker than nigga's anus, but thanks for the tips anyway. 

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Yeah, I did that. Now flashlights are useful. I went inside the abandoned hotel in Sandy Shores, everything is pitch black. It's awesome.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:20 PM Edited by Wolfhuman, 03 December 2013 - 10:20 PM.

Basically, pro tip for anyone out there looking to get proper colors/lighting out of their games: find your monitor/tv's sweet spot using something simple, like a color/brightness slider on a PC. Tune your screen, then never touch it again. Now every game you play, go into the settings and they usually include a logo of some sort that. You ALWAYS want this logo to be "just barely" visible. This is like industry standard. If their logo is mega bright and easy to see, almost like it's an advertising logo, then you're doing it wrong.

The reason they do this is because of varying screen settings and quality. By having the symbol there, they give you a mark to shoot for. By getting it so that the logo is just barely visible, you are coming close to matching the settings they use in office when developing the game. In other words, the intended look of the game.

I really don't know how people can just ignore this. The default in-game brightness setting is pretty much overblown for nearly all screens out there. I've tried hooking up my system to multiple tvs and screens and the result was always washed out ugly images.

So take Wolfhuman's advice guys. If you haven't touched this setting yet, you really need to do so.

Yep, I found it weird that the night was not so dark. I didn't have to use the car headlights. But now, they are pretty useful. I feel that the brightness topics need to be pinned because its sad if people don't have it the right way. I don't know if i should say this but i think since we are living in the time where graphics also plays a role: This can make or break the game. Like i said, i don't know really if i should say that but i think it is the case. The game feels much more real and alive with the adjusted brightness.

Keep spreading the word people.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

For those of you not sure if your TV and Console are outputting FULL RANGE RGB, use this image below, store it on your console by USB on something and display it full screen and mess around with your console settings and TV settings until it displays the wide range properly:

zl6izb.jpg

For Xbox 360 users, in the Display Settings, select HDMI Range to "EXPANDED". For PS3 Users, go to Display Settings, and set RGB Range Output to "FULL". From there on it's owrking out what your TV does and how it treats the image under what settings.

• Wolfhuman, Empty World, Osho and 2 others like this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Good post Ash.

Here's some more pics to show it adjusted perfect for my monitor. Particularly note the color difference between the comparisons, how washed out and gray the default brightness setting looks and how colorful and vivid the adjusted one is.

Before:

l9yw.jpg

After:

hzye.jpg

Before:

mtm6.jpg

After:

715z.jpg

Before:

qwux.jpg

After:

d8h9.jpg

Before:

v8bo.jpg

After:

98y8.jpg

I really like this last one, because it shows an effect that naturally occurs when we look into the sun, or try to take a photo pointing in the direction of the sun as well. Due to the immense brightness of the sun, we have to squint and darken our vision/the camera has to use a faster shutter speed to deal with the intense brightness. This has the effect of causing everything else to become overly darkened. This is another example of the extremely high quality high dynamic range and adaptive exposure we have in GTA V.

Another sweet way to see this in action is on a bright sunny day, go underground in the canals near Del Perro Pier. As your in-game eyes adjust to the darkness, turn around and look at the tunnel exit. It should look bright and bloomed out. This is a great effect and it looks gorgeous in a Rockstar game. GTA V's technical aspects get a 10/10 from me.

• Wolfhuman, Osho and Bonnano like this

Mpower
  • Mpower

OJ

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

Is there an option to change the brightness ingame ? I can't find it

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Of course, under the Display settings (second bar). 

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

Yeah, I did this the first time I played at night and I could see everything as if it was sunset.

Like others have said, get your display dialed in and then don't mess with it. Only change in game settings from then on. It should be truly dark in the countryside at night.
  • Osho and DaRkL3AD3R like this

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

Good post Ash.

Here's some more pics to show it adjusted perfect for my monitor. Particularly note the color difference between the comparisons, how washed out and gray the default brightness setting looks and how colorful and vivid the adjusted one is.

Before:

l9yw.jpg

After:

hzye.jpg

Before:

mtm6.jpg

After:

715z.jpg

Before:

qwux.jpg

After:

d8h9.jpg

Before:

v8bo.jpg

After:

98y8.jpg

I really like this last one, because it shows an effect that naturally occurs when we look into the sun, or try to take a photo pointing in the direction of the sun as well. Due to the immense brightness of the sun, we have to squint and darken our vision/the camera has to use a faster shutter speed to deal with the intense brightness. This has the effect of causing everything else to become overly darkened. This is another example of the extremely high quality high dynamic range and adaptive exposure we have in GTA V.

Another sweet way to see this in action is on a bright sunny day, go underground in the canals near Del Perro Pier. As your in-game eyes adjust to the darkness, turn around and look at the tunnel exit. It should look bright and bloomed out. This is a great effect and it looks gorgeous in a Rockstar game. GTA V's technical aspects get a 10/10 from me.

Holy! Are those pics from real life? lol. Looks great! I feel sad for everyone that is playing with the washed out screen!

SomeBoredDude
  • SomeBoredDude

Long Live The CNW!

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

MOTHER OF GOD IT LOOKS SOO MUCH BETTER NOW!

Sweettooth187
  • Sweettooth187

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

So...you just made it darker. From the pics it just looks like I'd be playing the game with my shades on. Doesn't look any better to me.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Two things:

1. You probably should have a look at how your TV is set up to begin with. That makes a major difference.

2. Of course it looks better, you can't see some of the slightly shoddy detailing in the maps - great as GTA V looks, it is still a PS3/360 game, and texturing can be a little pixellated.

C. YEAH C.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

*Edited post with beautiful pics thanks to DaRkL3AD3R.

MOTHER OF GOD IT LOOKS SOO MUCH BETTER NOW!

Enjoy!

So...you just made it darker. From the pics it just looks like I'd be playing the game with my shades on. Doesn't look any better to me.

Are you smoking something? Just look what some other users are saying. Try it, and then post again.

Two things:

1. You probably should have a look at how your TV is set up to begin with. That makes a major difference.

2. Of course it looks better, you can't see some of the slightly shoddy detailing in the maps - great as GTA V looks, it is still a PS3/360 game, and texturing can be a little pixellated.

C. YEAH C.

Where is C? lol

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

I did this back in RDR. Messed with the contrast too. It made RDR feel like a brand new game again.  Haven't tried it on V, but i might. That first picture seems too dark though, because surrounding light and the magic of our eyes would make it brighter. 

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

I had my TV set to torch mode for almost one hundred hours, reasoning that the sunny LS vibe demanded maximum brightness.

Now It's set to movie mode and looks a hell of a lot better. I'll tweak the sliders further next time I play.

Valdorien
  • Valdorien

Cheater Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

Thank you.

Also the flashlights on the guns get more useful and you aren't just some kind of night vision psycho mutant or something.

The game looks better too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users