Photo

Free-roam sucks with tanks

119 replies to this topic
gnad
  • gnad

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

why is the OP being considered a cheater?

MChammer916
  • MChammer916

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

Yea i have no problem killing tanks. Not sure what the problem is.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

Unless you are prepared to die again and again you should not fight a tank at street level. Here is some advice

- passive mode

- get out of view

- figure out an escape route where you won't be seen

- go off radar

- request personal vehicle through select menu

- GTFO, get a helicopter

- get a vantage point with a long range view of tank

- snipe the f*ck out of him

It will take practice to figure out where to aim but once you get it down you will never get tired of sniping c*nts out of tanks.

Yep, the first 4 steps should be followed regardless of what you're planning to do afterwards. Figuring this out is the difference between being spawn killed by a tank and never being killed by a tank.

It's possible to fight a tank at street level, but yeah, it's much harder and takes a lot of practice, and the learning process involves dying a lot.

Yea i have no problem killing tanks. Not sure what the problem is.

Having watched people try to fight tanks and lose, the problem definitely seems to be aiming. Tanks aren't hard to destroy, but that's only true if you actually hit them. The number one culprit is the RPG, no idea why people use this thing versus a tank. A tank might be slow-moving, but it's not that slow-moving. The rockets are easy to dodge at long range and slow to reload.

I watched a tank driver just drive forward 10 feet, then reverse 10 feet, and keep going back and forth while some guy kept firing RPGs at him. It looked so ridiculous. People fire 10 RPGs, but only land 2 of them, and they lose their other 10 RPGs from being killed 10 times. Then they go "f*ck, I just used 20 RPGs and it's still standing!"

People just need to approach the situation calmly, not use RPGs if the other explosives are a better option, and line up a shot before pulling the trigger.

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:00 AM Edited by LeSuede, 02 December 2013 - 08:06 AM.

Having watched people try to fight tanks and lose, the problem definitely seems to be aiming. Tanks aren't hard to destroy, but that's only true if you actually hit them. The number one culprit is the RPG, no idea why people use this thing versus a tank. A tank might be slow-moving, but it's not that slow-moving. The rockets are easy to dodge at long range and slow to reload.

I watched a tank driver just drive forward 10 feet, then reverse 10 feet, and keep going back and forth while some guy kept firing RPGs at him. It looked so ridiculous. People fire 10 RPGs, but only land 2 of them, and they lose their other 10 RPGs from being killed 10 times. Then they go "f*ck, I just used 20 RPGs and it's still standing!"

People just need to approach the situation calmly, not use RPGs if the other explosives are a better option, and line up a shot before pulling the trigger.

That is pretty much the problem with people trying to fight tanks. They generally assume that tank gets unlocked at level 70, then the means to fight the tank on-foot is the RPG at level 100. Which isn't entirely false, the RPG can help sometimes if the tank gets stuck down a tight alley and you can line an easy shot or something like that that involves to tank being semi stationary.

If I'm in my tank, all I've got to do to dodge 90% of explosives attacks is to keep going back and forth when I'm getting a bit crowded. Airstrikes, grenades, C4, RPGs, they are all so easy to dodge once you know the tell-tale signs. Explosives are efficient but they are sloppy.

Just because it's a tank doesn't mean it isn't mobile or quick on it's feet. One way to time a good tank from a bad tank is whether he is constantly moving. If you've noticed tanks are very slow to accelerate, but within 5-6 seconds they reach decent speed and can definitely outrun any players on foot in an open space. A good tank will keep spinning around by holding the reverse button when he wants to remains semi stationary so he can move/accelerate at full speed immediately to give chase, since he never actually stopped driving.

Only way to lose a tank is to climb, jump, go through tight streets or make him run into an obstacle. If he is stupid, he'll try to reach you and leave himself stationary. If you're near or already on a roof, the by all means throw down some explosives or RPG. But never on the street, you've just wasted the 5 seconds you needed to make your escape on the weapon wheel and trying to aim at the tank before he blows you up. Tanks have pretty decent range and have instant hits, while the RPG hasn't.

Now everyone's got their preferred method of killing tanks. Some escape to find their way to a roof at long range and will snipe the f*cker, others will go ninja off the radar and bomb the tank with explosives loaded cars, some will bait the tank into C4 trapped alleyways and blow it up with their grenade launchers one death at a time. Me, I prefer the minigun. Spank that tank's ass for a good 6-8 seconds and it'll start fuming. Another 5 or 6 and boom. All it needs is a good vantage roof with some sort of standing obstacle that I can use to hop on/off out of cover (which luckily are quite common all across the city) while drilling the tank. I like it because it can actually take the tank a while to see where it is coming from, especially if he is distracted.

It's actually the fastest method to dispatch a tank or make him leave the area in my opinion. 12 seconds of simply aiming at the tank's back and pressing the fire trigger and the tank is generally toast. Considering the size of the target, the minigun has little to no issue with accuracy here. It requires little to no prep, aside from having the minigun and bullets for it. All you need is find the nearest roof, go off radar and spank the tank. Obviously I'm aware that piece of information might not be very useful to a lot of people since it requires being level120. But still, it works pretty good too. I should also mention the biggest drawback is that if you mess up and die while holding the minigun then you will lose all your ammo...which is $15K a pop due to some weird stupid bug on the minigun. Oh well, it's totally worth it.

Anyway ,all this to say people fighting tanks need to stop taking them on street level and turn the table around. If the tank gets the drop on you, you will die. But if you get the drop on the tank, then you have a fighting chance. And there's plenty of ways to do it.

TheWhiteKnight
  • TheWhiteKnight

Griefer Exterminator

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

they ruined the game.. Don't tell me about heavy sniper it won't help. One person today killed about 50 times in a session with 14 players, everyone tried to kill him. I didn't intentionally go to him because i didn't actually know that he had a tank. Once he exploded my vehicle he started to spawn kill me and whoever comes near to him gets killed. It's like hackers using god mode.
I actually can afford one but i don't want it.

This gta online supposed to be a realistic game but no, it's like call of duty.

sounds like OP is butthurt over a good old fashion pwning, case closed somebody lock this thread and move it along

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Dude just buy a tank for yourself.  Get the jump on the tank user, then spawn kill him like 3 times.  They usually get the message to piss off.

Otherwise, just go passive mode and get to high elevation.  They'll waste like 5 minutes trying to kill you, then they'll buzz off.  Then either get your tank to deal with them or just leave them alone.

I've been using my chrome tank to put all the annoying tank-users in their place, and they usually get the message.  Then everyone will also thank you and crap if they were spawn killing others.  Then you can all chill while the tank user either cries in the corner, rage quits, or goes to get another tank.

Since I have a tank as a PV I actually like to use it, and supply someone else in the lobby with the same interests as me with a Pegasus tank so it then becomes a 2v1 against whoever is using a tank to be a douche.  It's excellent.  A tank has never made me ragequit.

• Edwin likes this

Nasir_Jones
  • Nasir_Jones

Gta V Mexican Cartel Member

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

Passive mode, get somewhere where he can't reach you and send him a message saying "u mad bro?" At this point he rages and either just waits for you to move, or he goes and terrorizes another player. I do it all the time, it's funny. They send you messages like "pussy" but it's whatever, I don't ever bother with going and getting my tank to retaliate cause it's a waste of time.
  • Biohazard Abyss likes this

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Passive mode, get somewhere where he can't reach you and send him a message saying "u mad bro?" At this point he rages and either just waits for you to move, or he goes and terrorizes another player. I do it all the time, it's funny. They send you messages like "pussy" but it's whatever, I don't ever bother with going and getting my tank to retaliate cause it's a waste of time.

Do The Bird, haha.

I made a tank user sink his by accident before because I was flipping him off in passive where the jet skis spawn.  He tried to wack me off with the cannon but he didn't realize you could push the floating platforms so he went too far out, his tank got destroyed, and I rode away on a jet ski.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

Should have wasted him, once you're on the jet ski you're free to immediately use your weapons lol :p

• Biohazard Abyss likes this

BockasaurusRex
  • BockasaurusRex

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

Pause > Online > Find New Session

Problem solved.

every second session will have a tank in it, not like switching will help

I have never been in a tank session. Everyone in the sessions I have been in either kill you then you kill them then you befriend them and go kill other people which then become your friend and you all just have fun. Seriously.

Don't know if I'm missing out or really lucky.

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

This has been completely done in another thread. Once again a lot of people seem to completely miss the point of the OP.

• Being able to kill tanks is not the pioint.

• Being able to escape tanks is not the point.

The point is that the very presence of a couple of idiots in tanks spoils a free roam session. As has been said, the longer the game goes on, the more people will get tanks and if it could well reach a point where every free roam session has tanks rolling around in it. That will ruin free roam.

Tanks are not what GTA Online is all about. They are simply tools to be abused by kids and trolls.

They should be removed for the sake of the game.

Alternatively, R* could make it so you have to purchase tank ammo  and make it expensive, like £50k a round. That would stop people using the tank for anything other than carefully considered tactical support.

• BuyMeTheMoon likes this

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

This is a game with tanks in it. Always has been, since the very first GTA back on PSX. If you think games with tanks are not fun, then you're playing the wrong game. Basically all other games have no tanks in them, so you should check them out sometime. Until then, consider playing Invite Only with other people who share your opinion.

• Pyrrhus and EyeMacHunt like this

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

This is a game with tanks in it. Always has been, since the very first GTA back on PSX. If you think games with tanks are not fun, then you're playing the wrong game. Basically all other games have no tanks in them, so you should check them out sometime. Until then, consider playing Invite Only with other people who share your opinion.

You're wrong. Explain to me what positive benefit tanks bring to this game?

This is the only game of its type on console so there is no other similar game to play.

The influence of tanks in free roam is unbalanced and completely negative.

Other GTA games featured tanks for specific limited missions, not for abusing in a free roaming multiplayer environment.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:36 AM Edited by AzraelX, 02 December 2013 - 10:36 AM.

You're wrong.

Uh, no, I'm not. The rest of your post isn't relevant to anything I said. I didn't say "the game is better off with tanks in it" at any point.

Everything I posted is factually correct. I would advise reading it again, and if you still think something is wrong, quote that thing specifically.

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

You're wrong.

Uh, no, I'm not. The rest of your post isn't relevant to anything I said. I didn't say "the game is better off with tanks in it" at any point.

Everything I posted is factually correct. I would advise reading it again, and if you still think something is wrong, quote that thing specifically.

And I would suggest you read my original post. You're just another one who misses the point completely. Saying 'if you don't like it, do something else' is not a response.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:46 AM Edited by AzraelX, 02 December 2013 - 10:46 AM.

It is a response, and the only useful one you'll get. You can ignore it if you want to be miserable. The game is what it is, regardless of how you feel about it.

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

I love the game and have played it for many hours since day one. Surely the point of the forum is to discuss aspects of it, things we like and things we don't. Perhaps if there's a big enough groundswell of opinion within the community, changes can come about. I'm not saying R* will remove tanks but they p**** me off and the purpose of this forum is to be able to vent about stuff like that.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

This forum is not representative of "the community". It is a place for whiners and glitchers. No one at Rockstar will ever read this conversation.

The Rockstar community forum is "the community". That's where the devs look and sometimes change things based on popular opinion. Have at it.

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

This forum is not representative of "the community". It is a place for whiners and glitchers. No one at Rockstar will ever read this conversation.

The Rockstar community forum is "the community". That's where the devs look and sometimes change things based on popular opinion. Have at it.

So I'm not allowed to talk about an element of the game that I don't like on here? Are you a whiner or glitchier? If not, why are you on here?

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

So I'm not allowed to talk about an element of your post that I don't like on here? I thought this was a place of discussion, not senseless censorship.

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Your response to my two basic bullet points was "If you think games with tanks are not fun, then you're playing the wrong game."

I will repeat my point. If every session ends up full of tanks, free roam will be ruined. If you want big tank battles, start a vehicle death match.

GTA is not about tanks just because tanks have featured in the series. 

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

If I want big tank battles, I'll join free roam and use my tank, because that's what it's there for. I don't personally care for the lack of mobility and subsequent vulnerability inside a tank, and much prefer my beloved Buzzard PV. If other people want to bring their tanks out though, more power to them. That's why they're there.

GTA is about tanks in the sense that it includes them. If you dislike tanks, play in sessions that don't have tanks. If you dislike pistols, play in sessions that don't have pistols. If you dislike cars, sit inside an empty garage. This is why "invite only" and "friend and crew only" and "find new session" exist.

I don't know why you believe your own personal preferences should be imposed on millions of people, when you only need to impose them on the 15 people in your session. Seems insanely narcissistic, bordering on psychopathic. Combine that with your desire for censorship, and it really doesn't look good. You don't also happen to have a distaste for those of Jewish ancestry, do you?

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

If I want big tank battles, I'll join free roam and use my tank, because that's what it's there for. I don't personally care for the lack of mobility and subsequent vulnerability inside a tank, and much prefer my beloved Buzzard PV. If other people want to bring their tanks out though, more power to them. That's why they're there.

GTA is about tanks in the sense that it includes them. If you dislike tanks, play in sessions that don't have tanks. If you dislike pistols, play in sessions that don't have pistols. If you dislike cars, sit inside an empty garage. This is why "invite only" and "friend and crew only" and "find new session" exist.

I don't know why you believe your own personal preferences should be imposed on millions of people, when you only need to impose them on the 15 people in your session. Seems insanely narcissistic, bordering on psychopathic. Combine that with your desire for censorship, and it really doesn't look good. You don't also happen to have a distaste for those of Jewish ancestry, do you?

Oh dear, where to begin! Pistols do not completely and fundamentally change the dynamic of the game. Tanks do. Once everyone levels up to a certain point there will be many, many tanks and that will change the entire way in which the game plays.

I do not want only to play with friends, I enjoy the aspect of free roam and getting into stuff with other players.

I am not forcing my personal will upon anybody. I am stating a point of view. You bang on about censorship, but you are the one who's basically telling me to shut up because you disagree with me. You, sir, are the one trying to be a censor. Please understand the terms you use before throwing them out there.

I can't prove it, but I believe that most people in the GTA community do not use tanks as a matter of course. 

And now you've resorted to name-calling while still failing to address the point that I have made repeatedly.

• elmo87 likes this

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

Oh dear, where to begin! Pistols do completely and fundamentally change the dynamic of the game. Tanks don't. Everyone must level up to a certain point to even get a tank, but they don't have to level at all to get a pistol, and that changes the entire way in which the game plays.

I do not want only to play with friends, I enjoy the aspect of free roam and getting into stuff with other players.

I am not forcing my personal will upon anybody. I am stating a point of view. You bang on about censorship, but you are the one who's basically telling me to shut up because you disagree with me. You, sir, are the one trying to be a censor. Please understand the terms you use before throwing them out there.

I can't prove it, but I believe that most people in the GTA community do not use pistols as a matter of course.

And now you've resorted to name-calling while still failing to address the point that I have made repeatedly.

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:56 AM Edited by Milesinho, 02 December 2013 - 11:57 AM.

Oh dear, where to begin! Pistols do completely and fundamentally change the dynamic of the game. Tanks don't. Everyone must level up to a certain point to even get a tank, but they don't have to level at all to get a pistol, and that changes the entire way in which the game plays.

I can't prove it, but I believe that most people in the GTA community do not use pistols as a matter of course.

? I think you just admitted to losing the argument ;)

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Ah, so you can't manage a response. I think you just admitted to losing the argument ;)

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

What am I supposed to be responding to? 

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

The post where I just defended the removal of pistols from the game because I don't personally like them.

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

The post where I just defended the removal of pistols from the game because I don't personally like them.

Because you're just being facetious and avoiding the point. 

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

Ah, so you're just being facetious and avoiding the point. I think you just admitted to losing the argument ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users