Photo

I love shooting out lights

36 replies to this topic
DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

It's like a dream come true for me, ever since playing the first Splinter Cell I have been completely infatuated with shooting out dynamic lights in videogames. Unfortunately GTA 4 was really weak in this department, and it's not like any past GTA games really had dynamic lighting even close to what Splinter Cell provided, but then came GTA V. And wow. I would say upwards of 90% of lights are destroyable. Compared to GTA 4, this is a huge increase. The only lights I found that you could destroy in 4 were those big bulb shaped ones, or street lights. Well 5 kicked it up a major notch. Example:

Los Santos Customs parking lot before:

lozm.jpg

Los Santos Customs parking lot after:

4ruq.jpg

Pretty much any light in the game that isn't flat texture based, can be shot out. This even includes the cool looking multi colored lights decorating various buildings around the city. Such as these:

0_0.jpg0_0.jpg

And this is pretty ridiculous if you think about it. Because how many players climb up on roofs and shoot at light fixtures that are not even visible from the street? Slim to none. Then what are the odds that during a casual player's experience, they're going to crash or fire explosives up into these areas by coincidence and destroy them unintentionally? Pretty much none.

So this really stands as testament to the level of detail Rockstar puts into their games. I mean these guys managed this on old hardware from 2005. Can you imagine what the future of GTA will look like? Can't wait to experience all the glorious dynamic lighting, destructible, ready at my finger tips.

• Spider-Vice, MOGGYASAURUS, Wolfhuman and 6 others like this

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

Great post, glad to see some positivity on these forums. I agree, the lighting in GTA V is incredible, a vast improvement from IV.

• MOGGYASAURUS, Wolfhuman, Distrom and 3 others like this

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Even car headlights

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

It's been a ride

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

Yes, pretty cool.  I was on the side of a mountain the other night, sniping out various lights from a long distance and (being conscious of a similar recent thread noting the same thing as the OP), I was just being awed by the functional detail like this, that Rockstar did add, including many physical and breakable objects. 

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

BockasaurusRex
  • BockasaurusRex

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

I freaked out when the mountain boulders started moving. Also just enjoy driving in a truck munching through cacti and those dead trees.

Rockstar you're alright man. 

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

Indeed gentlemen, it's truly a marvel of technology and what they accomplished in this game. People can disagree on the story, the characters, or even the gameplay (not sure how, but opinions are opinions) but one thing that cannot be denied is the absolutely incredible world Rockstar builds in their games. This game is a monument to what a free roam sandbox game should look like, and sets a very high standard for next gen. Let's see how many lights can be shot out in Watchdogs on next gen ;)

• MOGGYASAURUS, IveGotNoValues and Blazzin001 like this

RedwolfPsx
  • RedwolfPsx

Hidden

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

This should boost my acute sleep deprivation even more.

• saintsrow, DaRkL3AD3R and Blazzin001 like this

Wayne Daniels
  • Wayne Daniels

Cattle Rustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

Houra of gameplay fun

Sasqui
  • Sasqui

Gangsta sh*t

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

I heard that if you snipe traffic lights, drivers will get confused and get in accidents.

Ermacs
  • Ermacs

I'd frame that.

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

What blew me away the most when it comes to the dynamic lighting was the clouds. I was out in the Senora Desert on a moonlit night. All of a sudden it got darker than usual. At first I thought my TV was on the fritz, then I looked up and realized that the clouds had covered the full moon. I was awestruck.

I can't wait to see what this game looks like on PC.

OOM 313
  • OOM 313

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:17 AM Edited by OOM 313, 01 December 2013 - 10:18 AM.

Speaking of lights, R* out did themselves with the amazing police lights in the detail of the police cars. Certainly a huge step forward from GTA 4. I love the LSCS cruisers and the old rotator light bar at night, it looks amazing.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Call your electrician, your doors f*cked!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Yes indeed, shooting out lights in GTA 5 would be glorious fun if it weren't for the completely stupid wanted level system.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

You can also shoot lights in IV; some break.

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

We are moving closer and closer to the ultimate gta with modern features, physics and interactions with the world as in real life

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

OP, thanks that you appreciate the small details of this game.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, it's pretty cool to see what details Rockstar puts into their games. The same can be said about Max Payne 3 as well; when a shootout ends, then I sometimes shoot at light sources to see what happens. I can imagine that it is even better in GTAV, given that this is an openworld game that is literally flooded by lamps, street lights and the like.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:25 PM Edited by DaRkL3AD3R, 01 December 2013 - 05:26 PM.

You can also shoot lights in IV; some break.

Very few lights are destructible in GTA IV. The only non street light that can be shot out is the giant sphere bulb lights. These are found usually around parks or rich homes.

On the other hand go in an alleyway and try shooting out doorway lights or other spotlights and you'll find that they're totally indestructible. GTA V is a huge step up over IV in this regard. Give it a try next time you're playing the old one and you'll start to see why I appreciate how much work R* poured into this game.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Shooting out lights and convertibles working were things people really wanted in a GTA game ..But no one gave a crap about after it happened.

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Shooting out lights and convertibles working were things people really wanted in a GTA game ..But no one gave a crap about after it happened.

Yeeeeeeeeep.

People were just chomping at the bit to play the game, and they are all following the mainstream of just beat the story as fast as you can and get burned out in a week. Very few people actually play this game like a GTA game, wandering around, exploring and causing general mayhem or messing with NPCs. It's a shame really, because Rockstar did on current gen what other companies won't do on next.

I just hope these guys over in Scotland stay motivated to keep putting in all this hard work for these little details. It would be a shame if they get discouraged by all the complainers who simply aren't capable of slowing down to appreciate the finer aspects of the game.

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'm glad they finally got the lighting right. It actually looks like nighttime now.

• Ermacs likes this

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

WORLD IN GTAV FEELS DEADZ, YOU CAN'T INTERACT WITH ANYTHING!!

lol, yeah this is freakish. I was at the helipad the other day, and i shot the little lights on ground level around the "H" mark. I was completely blown away, next-gen matierial in 8yr hardware.

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

I loved this feature in Syphon Filter 1!

• Ss4gogeta0 and Ermacs like this

Bonnano
  • Bonnano

i hate the mexican that screams "f*ck me in the ass"

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:58 PM Edited by Bonnano, 01 December 2013 - 05:59 PM.

the-more-you-know-o.gif

Very nice find indeed.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

I loved this feature in Syphon Filter 1!

Haha hell yeah, a great game for my younger years. That game was ahead of it's time for sure. Splinter Cell took the concept and brought it forward a huge step with dynamic shadows and pixel shaders. Now GTA V has it for the whole world in an open sandbox. Incredible, technology, isn't it?

MOGGYASAURUS
  • MOGGYASAURUS

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Nod nod nod in agreement. The first time I realised there was dynamic lighting in the game (think it was simply turning on and off the car headlights and realising they made an actual difference, certainly compared to GTA4) I was like 'Oh my...!' Like the OP, I LOVE dynamic lighting in games, and remember spending more time in the first Splinter Cell just shooting them all out rather than concentrating on actual missions! 

I could do a whole separate post/topic on the little details but... that would cut into my gameplay time... 

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

The lighting is incredible, but I wish there had been some use for it outside of one mission. Stealth is yet again completely wasted as a feature.

But yeah, beautiful lighting and intricate details.

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

It's like a dream come true for me, ever since playing the first Splinter Cell I have been completely infatuated with shooting out dynamic lights in videogames. Unfortunately GTA 4 was really weak in this department, and it's not like any past GTA games really had dynamic lighting even close to what Splinter Cell provided, but then came GTA V. And wow. I would say upwards of 90% of lights are destroyable. Compared to GTA 4, this is a huge increase. The only lights I found that you could destroy in 4 were those big bulb shaped ones, or street lights. Well 5 kicked it up a major notch. Example:

Los Santos Customs parking lot before:

lozm.jpg

Los Santos Customs parking lot after:

4ruq.jpg

Would be awesome if stealth actually mattered in online. There is absolutely NO point to either stealth mode or the stealth stat in online. If you are creeping around in stealth mode, you should be hidden from the radar. How awesome would it be if you could actually lurk in these shadows in all black waiting for players without a stupid blip on you?

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

Yeeeeeeeeep.

People were just chomping at the bit to play the game, and they are all following the mainstream of just beat the story as fast as you can and get burned out in a week. Very few people actually play this game like a GTA game, wandering around, exploring and causing general mayhem or messing with NPCs. It's a shame really, because Rockstar did on current gen what other companies won't do on next.

I just hope these guys over in Scotland stay motivated to keep putting in all this hard work for these little details. It would be a shame if they get discouraged by all the complainers who simply aren't capable of slowing down to appreciate the finer aspects of the game.

Well this game is getting lots of support outside this forum ...Ironic.

And the game holds 7 world records.

If that's not encouraging, I don't know what is.

But I still think we should email them lovely ladies ...Just to be safe.

ZHPbim
  • ZHPbim

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

That's awesome. I can imagine getting a wanted level and shooting some lights out by an area where I'm hiding would help a lot in evading them.

I agree with what others have said. GTA V is a monumental game. The level of detail is incredible. Even the sound effects have such detail. Pouring gas you can hear it sloshing around in the can. Driving with the radio turned off you can hear car noises you wouldn't normally hear, a lopey idle, the convertible top working, etc. even if you flip a convertible, the convertible top will malfunction and fail to raise/lower.

I went back to gta iv the other day and could t play it. It is SOOOO outdated now. People who have complained about iv being better most likely haven't even went back to it. V is LOADS better than iv.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

That's awesome. I can imagine getting a wanted level and shooting some lights out by an area where I'm hiding would help a lot in evading them.

I agree with what others have said. GTA V is a monumental game. The level of detail is incredible. Even the sound effects have such detail. Pouring gas you can hear it sloshing around in the can. Driving with the radio turned off you can hear car noises you wouldn't normally hear, a lopey idle, the convertible top working, etc. even if you flip a convertible, the convertible top will malfunction and fail to raise/lower.

I went back to gta iv the other day and could t play it. It is SOOOO outdated now. People who have complained about iv being better most likely haven't even went back to it. V is LOADS better than iv.

Couldn't agree more, especially regarding the GTA IV being outdated part.

Also the guys talking about stealth, yeah it's a bit of a shame really. Maybe on PC we'll be able to mod in some sort of light detection system similar to splinter cell that could affect the AI. I already planned on modding the AI shooting mechanics because they are way too accurate and have wall hacks lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users