Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:18 AM

Good for you, but I liked him.

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

Why? We should get more varied protagonists. It's nice to be a mad psycopath for once, instead of another gangbanger of a chill ice cold killa.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

Why? We should get more varied protagonists. It's nice to be a mad psycopath for once, instead of another gangbanger of a chill ice cold killa.

Another? Which one? CJ was the only gangbanger. Dont tell me Franklin was just cause he was black.
  • sukmieazz likes this

Farmer-smurf-420
  • Farmer-smurf-420

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:33 AM

the WHOLE story is about trevor.

how his best friend betrayed him, how his whole life turned upside down. how he overcame his own issues and forgave his friend, and put the pieces of his life back together again.

if anything franklin was a pointless side character.

• jv95_ likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:36 AM

Another? Which one? CJ was the only gangbanger. Dont tell me Franklin was just cause he was black.

Franklin was a gangbanger just cause he was black.

TheDonutGuyFromBlackOps 1
  • TheDonutGuyFromBlackOps 1

There's a soldier in all of us.

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

Trevor fanboys have the IQ have a hamster just ignore them
  • Donut likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:38 AM

He is the best one out of the three.

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

Trevor fanboys have the IQ have a hamster just ignore them

It's okay, man. I respect your opinion too.

Lazor Guns
  • Lazor Guns

Masked Felon

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

how his best friend betrayed him, how his whole life turned upside down. how he overcame his own issues and forgave his friend, and put the pieces of his life back together again.

Yeah, so pointless. He only decides who lives and how the story ends, big deal.

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:50 AM Edited by Zodape, 01 December 2013 - 05:51 AM.

The story revolved around Michael. Trevor had a lot of protagonism (for some is the antagonist, depends how you view the story) and Franklin was just there being Franklin. His story was so poor, they made him the first character to be unlocked and the one who decided the ending in a poor attempt to give him more protagonism. That's it.

Edit: spelling. "The story revolver..." herp derp.

• Luddite likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:46 AM

The story revolved around Michael. Trevor had a lot of protagonism (for some is the antagonist, depends how you view the story) and Franklin was just there being Franklin. His story was so poor, they made him the first character to be unlocked and the one who decided the ending in a poor attempt to give him more protagonism. That's it.

I pretty much agree with the OP that Trevor should have been a side character, or maybe even a random encounter, because he was so unpleasant that I could not identify with the character and did not want to play as him.  Not for lack of Rockstar trying, however -- a lot of work was put into a personality that does not seem to have enough usefulness or depth from the get-go. 

But I also greatly like your concept of characters having variable attributes of "protagnism" and "antagonism."  That is a powerful story concept. 

It's too bad that Rockstar did not bring in some professionals to write the story, and they perhaps would had used your suggested attributes as a foundation on which to build the story, the way that good move scripts telegraph their characters' position on the moral spectrum as the movie progresses.  The GTAV story was so broken and shallow and inconsistent and lacking in real threads of character motivation that everything seemed arbitrary.  And I wish Franklin would have had a more complex and substantial role. 

• TheDonutGuyFromBlackOps 1 likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

I pretty much agree with the OP that Trevor should have been a side character, or maybe even a random encounter, because he was so unpleasant that I could not identify with the character and did not want to play as him.  Not for lack of Rockstar trying, however -- a lot of work was put into a personality that does not seem to have enough usefulness or depth from the get-go. 

But I also greatly like your concept of characters having variable attributes of "protagnism" and "antagonism."  That is a powerful story concept. 

It's too bad that Rockstar did not bring in some professionals to write the story, and they perhaps would had used your suggested attributes as a foundation on which to build the story, the way that good move scripts telegraph their characters' position on the moral spectrum as the movie progresses.  The GTAV story was so broken and shallow and inconsistent and lacking in real threads of character motivation that everything seemed arbitrary.  And I wish Franklin would have had a more complex and substantial role. 

I understand why some people might hate Trevor: he is taken to an extreme, to the point that either you love him or you hate him to death. He is my favorite character out of the three and I hope we get more physchos like him in the future.

What I tried to say with my first post is that if R* plans to keep the multiple protags feature, then they should make each character completely different from each other, and hopefully, maybe letting you complete the whole story using only the character you like and you can choose to skip other missions if they are exclusive to a character you dislike. This way you can please about 99% of the fans (I guess).

I think Trevor is a good protagonist, he is just different from what the general videogame industry has been offering.

Just my opinion.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

You can't be half a gangster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

I would've preferred a Hispanic protagonist in his place to be honest.

DANIEL3GS
  • DANIEL3GS

Playa

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Trevor is a great protagonist. Without him GTAV woulnt have been that great. I prefer him over Franklin.

Fuc-tuo
  • Fuc-tuo

we're bouncing now?

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:38 AM Edited by wolfy boy, 01 December 2013 - 10:39 AM.

, how his whole life turned upside down

dfkv23l.jpg

(I apologise for the awful photoshop attempt)

• boxmonster, Ermacs, John Smith and 2 others like this

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

And in 5 years: "Oh my god, i loved Trevor. He is better then the protagonist in Gta VI.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

@SonOfLiberty

So Luis Lopez wasn't enough hispanic for you?

67f100
  • 67f100

That Ford Guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

I loved that there was a redneck in this game cause its just who I am a redneck ( I mean I'm not a psycho or anything like Trevor) but still I thought Trevor was the best character. If anyone should have been a side character It should be Franklin as his story/background wasn't really cool or interesting like Micheal's and Trevor's where.

Huffin-Puffin
  • Huffin-Puffin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

The entire point of Trevor is that he's the type of character who would normally be a side character, Rockstar said that.

67f100
  • 67f100

That Ford Guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Yeah and I am happy that he is not being a side character no more and there finally is a redneck in a videogame.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:17 PM Edited by Official General, 01 December 2013 - 03:31 PM.

I totally agree. Trevor would have been perfect for a non-playable main character in the story. I just don't think he was anything near protagonist material. 

yonatan755
  • yonatan755

Playa

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:29 PM Edited by yonatan755, 01 December 2013 - 03:30 PM.

1 story for 3 Characters is a nice idea but I don't think R* made it right.
There's so many things that was missed, like trevor could have had a long story with the LOST, and franklin's ex girlfriend was showen in the secend trailer as a story related character.
Something always fells a bit missing about this game for me, and its the fact that insted of 3 personal stories, excluding the main one, they rushed everything just to put the 3 protagonists together on one story, which took away from their personality.

TL;DR single player was rushed IN MY OPINION

Mathew4296
  • Mathew4296

Road Warrior

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:39 PM Edited by Mathew4296, 01 December 2013 - 03:41 PM.

Trevor and Michael are awesome characters. I enjoyed the idea of 3 protagonists, but after finishing GTA V I kind of wish it was only Mike & Trev who were playable. I was looking forward to Franklin before the game came out, but he really wasn't that good of a character at the end. I don't hate him, I just feel disappointed in how he was implemented seeing as he started off with a lot of promise just for it to be wasted away later on in the story. So if anything, Frank should have been the side character. Mike & Trev aren't your conventional protags (Mike is a chronic liar & going through a mid-life crisis and Trevor is a bat-sh*t crazy psycho poofter), and they are a refreshing change from the young, boring protags most games have.

Teo265
  • Teo265

Perfectionist

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Trevor is an awesome character, but his behavior is so unpredictable it feels unnatural to control him. It feels like he's tamed but not tamed. (Sounds ridiculous, I know :p)

It's nice to have some variety, of course, but Trevor is just too mainiac to be controlled by player.

Mathew4296
  • Mathew4296

Road Warrior

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

TL;DR single player was rushed IN MY OPINION

Thank online for that. They should have contracted online to a separate department and focuses solely on single player.

• yonatan755 likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Mike & Trev aren't your conventional protags (Mike is a chronic liar & going through a mid-life crisis and Trevor is a bat-sh*t crazy psycho poofter), and they are a refreshing change from the young, boring protags most games have.

Exactly this.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

You mean Franklin, right?

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

You wanna toss literally the only memorable character in GTAV as a side character?

Jesus. Thank god you people aren't game designers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users