31 replies to this topic
PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Smoother than silk

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

No joke everytime I play GTA IV now I spend atleast 45 minutes racing. Now I've come to the realisation GTA V's driving physics are hand holding the racing in GTA IV is more fun than ever.

While the A.I is pretty dumb I just love getting different classes of cars and racing them. In the rain is especially awesome.
  • 2281, Niobium and PsychoGamer like this

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

No doubt GTA 4 had fun racing but well... SA Races were absolutely blast plus the variety and the challenge missing in IV races.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Agreed 100%. While physics in IV weren't overly realistic, they were definitely alot more grounded in reality than V. Practically, you f*ck up in IV and your car is screwed, pretty much like real life. If I wanted to be able to simulate hooning around in a car without risks, I would just go and buy a set of freaking matchbox cars.

Just a shame car modification wasn't in IV. I would love to be able to mess around with those physics in something I modified myself.

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

I loved the racing in IV in SP or online we used to have a blast online and raced everything from the foot races to the faggio's

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You go OTB more than me man!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

GTA IV and The Lost And Damned: Best Multiplayer Racing Game Of All Time

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:35 PM Edited by StingrayX, 30 November 2013 - 08:48 PM.

I love to race people in MP and surprisingly I've ended up in 1st place a lot. There seems to be a lot of ramming so I just restrain myself from passing everybody until they spin out due to somebody PIT maneuvering them or whatever.

I find that racing in IV is much funner than in V. Not only because the physics in IV are more fun and unforgiving, but because it feels more natural. No turbo launches, no slipstreaming, no racing for XP, it was just pure fun.

@NV112: I agree. If IV had customization, I'd feel no need to ever go back to V. Hell you'd probably be able to feel incredible differences in your cars handling if you could customize it in IV. While the lack of customization was a missed opportunity in IV, it was also a missed opportunity in V. Quite frankly, performance options are ultimately useless in V to me; not only because the handling just feels like crap in V and it feels so personality-less, but you won't notice great differences in your car's speed nor it's overall handling. Take a Sultan to Los Santos customs and max it out. The stats will increase -- although absurdly the top speed doesn't -- but your car won't feel much different. It'll feel slightly faster and its braking will feel unrealistically quicker (brake options in V are kind of stupid since you can't change calipers nor look and the braking on literally every car is already beyond good, though unrealistically) better, and you'll hear a repetitive turbo whistle that for some reason you can't adjust, but other than that what has changed? The steering is the same, probably because lowering the suspension does nothing sense your car already has no body roll nor a suspension in the first place, the top speed is the same, and strangely your $75k of modifications just makes the car feel only slightly better, it does not really feel edgier. If I took a Subaru Impreza WRX STi to a customs shop and maxed it out, I would feel significant differences! It would accelerate much, much faster, and it would have a higher top speed too. The sound would be meaner, the steering would be better and surely much harder to tame, the body roll would be reduced greatly if I changed the suspension, et cetera. I just feel like the performance options in V were mediocre because they just don't feel worth it at all. I've added large upgrades to some cars in V and couldn't really tell the overall difference. And to top it off, a large number of cars in V, even the ones that returned from IV that had multiple variants in IV, lack cosmetic options besides the basic lighting, wheels, paint, and tint! How half assed can you be?!?

/my rant lol

• PulpFiction likes this

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

20% Skill, 80% Fear

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

Racing in GTA V's multiplayer isn't fun anymore because any amount of skill needed is thrown out the window due to that f*cking slipstream feature they added.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Racing in GTA V's multiplayer isn't fun anymore because any amount of skill needed is thrown out the window due to that f*cking slipstream feature they added.

Slipstream is present in all top racing sims out there. Get your facts straight.

CrissAngel
  • CrissAngel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

-_-

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

20% Skill, 80% Fear

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Slipstream is present in all top racing sims out there. Get your facts straight.

What?

gunziness
  • gunziness

Thug

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

The racing in gtaiv SP was simply pathetic for me, the ai could of been much better, anyone can win the race with a minivan, no matter what kind of cars you are racing against, they were just too easy.
Thriatlons and bike races on the other hand were much better and fun, sinply because the ai was not as retarded as in vanilla gtaiv and it was more varied.

For me, w/o considering gtav, the best races are in SA, lots of circuits, a lot of variety and they were actually challenging.
  • B Dawg likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

The racing in gtaiv SP was simply pathetic for me, the ai could of been much better, anyone can win the race with a minivan, no matter what kind of cars you are racing against, they were just too easy.
Thriatlons and bike races on the other hand were much better and fun, sinply because the ai was not as retarded as in vanilla gtaiv and it was more varied.

For me, w/o considering gtav, the best races are in SA, lots of circuits, a lot of variety and they were actually challenging.

SA no doubt better races and variety, but IV is the best for multiplayer racing.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Play some F1 2013 for example and then tell me GTA Vs slipstream is in any way realistic.  In real life lipstream is only a slight boost and it's only when you are going fast. In GTA V however slipstream works even when you are going not really fast and you are not really close to the car infront and it feels like your car has double the power.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:56 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 03 December 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Yes, and slipstream is fine there because the driving actually takes skill.

I don't remember driving along a racetrack in first place to have someone way behind speed right up and ram me off the track during my several years of playing GT5 online. Those kids crashed out on the first corner and went back to Mario Kart.

IV racing was SOOO much better. They actually took skill, it sucked that most noobs always had traffic turned off, but in proper events where traffic is on, races were brilliant. They actually took skill. When I won a race in IV, it was an earned win. In V, any old toddler can win a race by slipstreaming and ramming. 

Hell, I don't mind arcadey handling if it's not f*cking stupidly easy. Midnight Club LA for example, that was arcadey, but racing was good because you had to actually think when cornering and braking. Slipstream was better to, and ramming someone in the back didn't work because YOU would slow down, and the one who was rammed would speed up. Slipstreaming was balanced properly. If you try and slipstream someone before a corner, you WILL crash. You can't just come to a halt like in GTAV, you would spin out on the next corner, or not make the corner at all. 

When I think about it, MCLA is actually a better game than V. Better driving, better car customisation, better multiplayer...

All R* needed to do was:

- GTA IV vehicle handling
- Midnight Club LA vehicle customisation
- GTAV shooting mechanics

And there you go, best game ever. But no, we get the pathetic f*ckup that is GTAV.
  • B Dawg and Jioyt 123 like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Yes, and slipstream is fine there because the driving actually takes skill.

I don't remember driving along a racetrack in first place to have someone way behind speed right up and ram me off the track during my several years of playing GT5 online. Those kids crashed out on the first corner and went back to Mario Kart.

IV racing was SOOO much better. They actually took skill, it sucked that most noobs always had traffic turned off, but in proper events where traffic is on, races were brilliant. They actually took skill. When I won a race in IV, it was an earned win. In V, any old toddler can win a race by slipstreaming and ramming. 

Hell, I don't mind arcadey handling if it's not f*cking stupidly easy. Midnight Club LA for example, that was arcadey, but racing was good because you had to actually think when cornering and braking. Slipstream was better to, and ramming someone in the back didn't work because YOU would slow down, and the one who was rammed would speed up. Slipstreaming was balanced properly. If you try and slipstream someone before a corner, you WILL crash. You can't just come to a halt like in GTAV, you would spin out on the next corner, or not make the corner at all. 

When I think about it, MCLA is actually a better game than V. Better driving, better car customisation, better multiplayer...

All R* needed to do was:

- GTA IV vehicle handling
- Midnight Club LA vehicle customisation
- GTAV shooting mechanics

And there you go, best game ever. But no, we get the pathetic f*ckup that is GTAV.

While I somewhat don't like traffic while racing in MP (accidental lag rams traffic and then f*cks up the guy behind him and stuff, guy in 1st place sees no traffic while the guy behind him does) it was acceptable. And I agree about Midnight Club, while it LOOKED sh*t, it was actually a difficult game, driving 300 KM/H and avoiding dozens of traffic. The game had a great sense of speed, and a cockpit view camera so I don't have to look at sh*tty physics.

GTA V shooting mechanics look meh. SMGS and Assault Rifles with very low bulletspread where you can go full auto on people at range? I'd rather take GTA IV weapons and tap fire to control it. Hell even SA mechanics would do, you had to wait for the bulletspread to settle down by watching the reticule shrink, unlike IV's instant recovery.

IV somewhat had the most balanced racing, you can beat high rank Comet drivers with a slower car like a Super GT. Most cars are balanced enough not to get completely outrun by the other. Try that in any other game, well, you have literally zero chance of winning.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Smoother than silk

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Just to bring this thread up again I've being playing a sh*tload of Forza 5 lately and I must say I'm impressed how good GTA IV feels even after playing such a racing game.
  • Packing_Heat and boxfish566 like this

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Summertime is the best time

• The Yardies
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:33 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 19 July 2014 - 03:58 PM.

That's just your fanboy speaking. We all know the actual truth about GTA IV's racing...

Spoiler

• PulpFiction likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

Indeed, it´s EXCELLENT. Could be cool we use this thread to get together for some IV racing, it´s hard to find good racers around nowadays.

We should leave our ID here, I´ll do it with mine. It´s PSN: Dyr_gl

I race any class, I like racing people that doesn´t do cheap tricks like grinding walls for extra speed in cars or erratic weight shifting for extra speed in bikes. Feel free to add.

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:54 AM

I never drive with Franklin in V. I just hate having the option to slow down time. In IV, if you're off, you'll pay for it. If you turn too hard, you will spin out.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:16 AM Edited by Lazyboy., 20 July 2014 - 08:16 AM.

My PSN is lazyboy8. When I get back into IV, I'd like some people to race with.

Gonna go ahead and toot my own horn here, and say I'm likely the best IV racer on this forum, nobody here has consistently beat me. :p

Well, since I last played anyway.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

Yeah racing is fun. The only thing I don't like is sometimes if you arrive in a fast car, other racers are driving slow pokes like SUV's and stuff. Takes away the fun since you can win quite easily.

The traffic is annoying as well. But again a nice challenge.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Smoother than silk

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

My PSN is lazyboy8. When I get back into IV, I'd like some people to race with.  Gonna go ahead and toot my own horn here, and say I'm likely the best IV racer on this forum, nobody here has consistently beat me. :p Well, since I last played anyway.

I wouldn't mind taking up this challenge. I get plenty of practice from all the hours I put in GTA IV aswell as Forza, F1, Grid etc.;)

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

My PSN is lazyboy8. When I get back into IV, I'd like some people to race with.  Gonna go ahead and toot my own horn here, and say I'm likely the best IV racer on this forum, nobody here has consistently beat me. :p Well, since I last played anyway.

I wouldn't mind taking up this challenge. I get plenty of practice from all the hours I put in GTA IV aswell as Forza, F1, Grid etc. ;)

I'd hardly call it a challenge lol, I probably suck now. :p
  • PulpFiction likes this

Nick
  • Nick

notwork admin

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

Racing is so fun in this game. Both in V and IV. That's just my opinion though. I love IV more though

Brings back so many memories :( I had a racing gang on here before.. didn't last long. Only because my XBL ran out. I had some good times on that one Alderney track (I'm drawing a blank on the name) but it ran throughout Plumber's Skyway. So many fun times. I wish I had V to bring back some of the good times, but it just totally delivers a new experience.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:21 AM

PSN ID: matajuegos01

add me SOL, I'll be glad to kick your ass in a couple of races :)

• PulpFiction likes this

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

PSN ID is Boxy108 though lately I've been playing Final Fantasy X/X-2.
  • PulpFiction likes this

Webster.
  • Webster.

Thug

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

No joke everytime I play GTA IV now I spend atleast 45 minutes racing. Now I've come to the realisation GTA V's driving physics are hand holding the racing in GTA IV is more fun than ever.

Totally true.  :^: 

Back when GTA V didn't exist, I was obsessed with GTA IV racing. It was pure awesome. So after many months of becoming a professional GTA IV racer, my skills in GTA V don't mean sh*t and I lose to 10-year old squeakers.

Such an embarrassment  :blush: 

SuburbansWorst
  • SuburbansWorst

Liberal Black Activist

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

I disagree about the racing in V

It's probably my favorite out of all GTA's because it feels more fast paced and the variety of the landscapes like mountains and curvy streets are quite nice

Online has the best racing out of other GTA's and IV's online

my opinion tho

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

I think GTA V gives you a back massage and breakfast in bed compared to the physics in IV. It's fun but the challenge isn't present IMO. Not saying IV is difficult, it isn't, but if you f*ck up, you have a lower chance at recovering compared to V.

vozi45
  • vozi45

Do you even?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I love driving in GTA IV, it actually takes skill. My gamertag is vozi45 on Xbox Live if anyone wants to race :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users