Should I get Skyrim?

35 replies to this topic
Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:57 AM Edited by AceKingston, 30 November 2013 - 04:57 AM.

It's me again.

Anyways I am in need of a new game and I plan on getting Skyrim this Christmas but the thing is I hate RPG games, not really hate but I find them boring. But I must confess that this was when I was a kind like 10 years old, but I still feel that I might not be able to get into Skyrim, I am 13 now and I enjoy majority of the games out there.

I've heard good things about Skyrim. The playing time for instance, seems very long and good, Dragon fights seems fun but there is this inkling of doubt that I might not be able to get into it.

I'm playing Far Cry 3 a lot and I am really enjoying it, it has some RPG elements but Skyrim dives deeper into those elements, from the atmosphere to the story. I also play on PC and the mods for the game sound fantastic but I don't plan on using mods for my playthrough though, I'd like a clean save.

So, advice? Should I get this game? Also if yes are there any tips for an RPG amateur like me, like how to approach the game at the start? Thanks in advance. :)

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

Hells yeah you should get it!!! But I'm just saying this because I'm a huge rpg fan and I think The Elder Scrolls is the best of the best in this genre. I've been playing rpg's since the days of Baldur's Gate or thereabouts.

The great thing about most rpg's is that you get to play the way you want to play. If you're a stealthy kinda guy, then you use stealth. If you're more of a run-and-gun sort of person, then you can do that instead. I personally combine everything together and become an all-rounder. :cool: And in Skyrim that means combining stealth (archery), magic and sword/axe/mace fighting together...

Skyrim is amazing and the best in the series so far imo. The map is huge and beautiful, the atmosphere is perfect, there are tons of quests to do ranging from clearing out dungeons or caves, searching for treasures, killing dragons, bounty hunting, rescue missions, delivery, stealth, assassinations, etc. The list goes on and on. The main quest itself is not very long, but it's a good one. And all of this goes on while there's a war happening too between pro and anti empire factions. Of course you also get to choose who's side you're on. The great thing about games like this is that even after you finish the main quest (which I always tackle and complete first), the game doesn't end. There are still thousands of quests and other tasks to be done. I've spent countless hours exploring the map and there are still things I see that I've never seen before.

I've played the game at least once with every race in the game. You get to choose who you wanna play as, whether it's a native Nord, beautiful Orc, dark Dark Elf or whatever. There are 10 races to choose from, each with its own special power and fighting preference, but you can do with them whatever you want. It's all up to you.

Best advice I can give you (if you end up getting the game) is to try and find the fighting style best suited to you early on in the game. The style you're most comfortable with and stick with that. You'll only get better at it as time goes on. But you should also master other styles as well if you want to survive. There is however no right or wrong way to play games like these. Oh, and stock up on health potions as soon as possible haha. Always make sure you have plenty of those and use them dammit! Money will be pretty scarce at first, so forget about buying that sword you want. You can come back for it once you have more gold... :)

Now I'm not saying you are definitely gonna like the game. If you're not a fan of RPGs then you're probably gonna hate Skyrim (although I can't see how that's possible lol), but you should at least give it a try...
  • 727gta likes this

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

go for it

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

I disliked RPGs (I always imagined them to be like WoW, semi-top view, or DotA which I really dislike), but Skyrim man, Skyrim is f*cking awesome, get it on PC, modding options are endless.

Bat Guano
  • Bat Guano

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

I think you are going to like it.
It's a "light" RPG, more straightforward than others, if that's what preoccupies you.

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Easily yes.

Don't think too much since there is no other RPG with soo much customization, upgrades, quests and a hell lot.

Plus the modding community makes it even worth playing.

I don't understand why you even asked such a stupid question since skyrim is a rock solid entertainment provided you are not a serious story driven player because that's the only thing that sucks in this game. Gameplay wise just pick it up dude and only the PC version.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

If youré going to buy it for PC, go for it.

Just installing mods and making a cool character can keep you busy for a long time, and the mods also make the game much better and polished.

The quests and the storyline will always be mediocre though, unless there are mods that change the entire storyline/dialogues.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

Yes, one of the biggest games ever made.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Born to Lose, Live to Win

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Dont treat it like an RPG, just approach it the same way you do with all other games. and its not similar to Dota, WoW and all those other games at all.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Adding on to what the others have said, if you want a clean save, definitely get a 'dirty' save, if you will - i.e. get lots of mods. It's not uncommon to have over 100 mods on at the same time, and they add so much to the game!

dammit I want a PC =(

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:02 PM Edited by AceKingston, 30 November 2013 - 03:03 PM.

It sounds awesome I might get it!

Speaking of which, which side has better quests, Imperials or Stormcloaks? I don't mind minor spoilers if that helps. I've also heard of some Brotherhood faction but people don't really seem to talk about them that often.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

I favor the Imperials most of the time. But both sides have good quests.

The Dark Brotherhood is a group of assassins, so if you join them you'll do a few assassinations.

There's also the Thieves Guild, The College of Winterhold (mages), and The Companions, an order of warriors and my favorites :)

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:33 PM Edited by DOOM!, 30 November 2013 - 03:34 PM.

I'd tell you to shoot for Oblivion, it's cheaper and better than Skyrim, as far as the story goes.

This comes from a console user, so I'd probably get Skyrim on PC if I had a choice.

QuietLoneWolf
  • QuietLoneWolf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'm not a massive fan of RPG's but I absolutely love Skyrim. I was reluctant to try it as I couldn't Oblivion but a LOT of improvements have been made in Skyrim.

My advice for you would be to initially switch the difficulty down to apprentice or novice, don't let yourself get overwhelmed by it. You can switch the difficulty at any time so if you fancy more of a challenge once you're used to the game you can. Also you should try and plan your character in advance so you don't waste time working on skills you won't be using. I find archery and stealth to be a very powerful combination. With one handed weapons and block for backup. Also; pick flowers and catch insects whenever you can. You can use these to mix potions together. Mix up as many health potions as you can, then make whatever else you can and sell. You'll level up quicker and get a good source of income early in the game this way.

I hope you enjoy Skyrim if you decide to buy it. :)

Rewas
  • Rewas

• Members
  • None
  • Best Snapmatic [Scenery] 2013

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

I've never played Skyrim, but I heard it's awesome and really long... I'm trying to get that game myself with a cheap price on Steam.

• Shou likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:56 PM Edited by trip, 30 November 2013 - 05:57 PM.

Of course you should get Skyrim. Fantastic game. I nope you are getting the pc version. The console version is fine, but the pc version is notably better.

I wouldn't say the RPG elements are any crazier than Far Cry 3.

E:
Stupid tablet auto correct.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

Only if your real life has no value to you, the game will eat your very soul...

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

Only if your real life has no value to you, the game will eat your very soul...

If you do enjoy playing the game it will definitely consume you. Only thing that stopped me laying it was my xbox dying on me. Now I got a new one and I am very tempted.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:35 PM Edited by Doublepulse, 30 November 2013 - 07:38 PM.

The fun part of the these RPG games is when you immerse yourself into your character, as if it is your alter ego or you in general. Set a certain kind of class you want to be, and really make progress. I say this because as an RPG amatuer, you want to know what makes these games really fun. There also is not a class system, so you can try anything on the fly. You can switch from magic and a sword very fast.

I played Skyrim, even though I am more of a fan of Morrowind. You would not be making a bad choice, if you want something you can always come back to to explore. There is alot of content. Almost too much for my preference. You will get yourself lost between the main quest and side quests.  Can I ask, what is your expectations of an RPG game?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:20 AM Edited by AceKingston, 01 December 2013 - 04:21 AM.

Just saw a walkthrough, looks really awesome. Especially the dragons, definitely getting this.

@Doublepulse: I fear it might become boring, but Skyrim does not seem to be like that!

Wug
  • Wug

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:32 AM

It sounds awesome I might get it!

Speaking of which, which side has better quests, Imperials or Stormcloaks? I don't mind minor spoilers if that helps. I've also heard of some Brotherhood faction but people don't really seem to talk about them that often.

They both have the same type of quest.  So if you are playing as imperials you'll be attacking stormcloak sh*t and stuff. If you're stormcloak, it is vise versa. I ain't going to spoil it too much for you

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:58 AM

Like Wesinator said, the quests themselves are pretty similar. There are a few minor variations. But I was never able to bring myself to play that series of quests for Stormcloaks. At some point I just start killing all of them on sight. They are not a pleasant bunch. If you are going to join one side or the other, go with Imperials. Though, you really don't have to pick sides at all. There is no particular advantage in finishing this quest line.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:05 AM Edited by Secura, 01 December 2013 - 01:12 PM.

K^2 speaks the truth, the Stormcloaks are pretty much Skyrim's KKK. The few differences being that they have a well-armed army supporting their racist beliefs and an egotistical, sociopathic, maniac with a major god complex for a leader, who is unknowingly doing the bidding of an even larger group of supremacists known as the Thalmor.

Side with the Empire, it is literally the only way things end well for Skyrim.

Melchior
  • Melchior

The lights are so bright, but they never blind me

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

K^2 speaks the truth, the Stormcloaks are pretty much Skyrim's KKK. The few differences being that they have a well-armed army supporting their racist beliefs and an egotistical, sociopathic, maniac with a major god complex, who is unknowingly doing the bidding of an even larger group of supremacists known as the Thalmor.

Side with the Empire, it is literally the only way things end well for Skyrim.

This is all true, but the Stormcloak's leader beat the old king in a duel, and is therefore the new king. I don't care what his politics are nor do I care about the political ramifications of him assuming the throne, he won the throne in honourable battle!

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

It was hardly an honourable battle, Ulfric didn't even have the guts to fight Torygg without using the Thuum. It was a shallow, dishonourable thing to do and even he knows it.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

This is all true, but the Stormcloak's leader beat the old king in a duel, and is therefore the new king. I don't care what his politics are nor do I care about the political ramifications of him assuming the throne, he won the throne in honourable battle!

He lost his honor and any rights to the title when he ran. That is the Northern way. You, southerners, wouldn't understand.
  • Finite likes this

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yeah should get it like everyone else said. But you should know that it has a terrible combat system. It might work for you, but it's really clunky especially for someone like me who loves the Souls series combat. Also, a lot of quests are repetitive. You are getting it on PC though, so it's all good 'cuz of the mods.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

It depends if you want to basically die for 2 weeks, Because all you will be doing in that time period is Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim and more Skyrim.

But yes, You should, Its Insanely good and unbelievbly addictive.

Melchior
  • Melchior

The lights are so bright, but they never blind me

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

He lost his honor and any rights to the title when he ran. That is the Northern way. You, southerners, wouldn't understand.

Nothing in the rules says you can't just kill the old king and immediately bail. >: (

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

Well it depends on what parts of RPGs you find boring.  If it's a heavy story and interactivity you find boring about RPGs then you won't have any trouble with this game. If you want to mash random buttons and kill things then sure, go and buy the game, it's fun. Like minesweeper.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users