Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA San Andreas' original graphic engine

11 replies to this topic
MMProductions
  • MMProductions

Artist, Cartoonist, Designer, GTA Modder.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hello there. This is my second topic on GTAForums.

I've read sometime ago some informations about the name of the GTA Series' game engines.

Grand Theft Auto III uses RenderWare

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City uses RenderWare again

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas uses RenderWare too

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories uses an altered version of VC engine

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories uses an altered version of VC/LCS engine

But, from Grand Theft Auto IV to GTA V, every HD era games uses RAGE Engine along with Euphoria.

But, there's some crazy rumors saying that GTA SA doesn't used RW. On the SA models code, there's extensions called DFF.

If GTA 3 and VC used DFF models, all of these three GTA 3 era games uses RW :/

BTW, if SA didn't used RW, which engine SA used? If LCS/VCS used GB (Gamebryo), Rockstar wouldn't recreate the VC engine from the scratch, right?

So, that's all. :)

Kalv20
  • Kalv20

A.K.A. ManDog

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:31 AM

Whoever says San Andreas doesn't use Renderware is wrong.

Grand Theft Auto: III uses the original Renderware engine, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City uses an improved version of Renderware, then San Andreas uses an even more improved version.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories uses a new, in-house engine, which is not Renderware.

• lpgunit likes this

MMProductions
  • MMProductions

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

A' ight, thanks, Kalv20 :)

But everyone says that this "in-house engine" made for GTA Stories was an heavily altered VC engine.

BTW, which is the true name of GTA Stories engine? Gamebryo? VF-94? RAGE Engine? GoldSrc?

It's because on some sites like Wikipedia or IGN doesn't says the true name of the "new in-house engine".

Probably is an VC engine remade from scratch.

Kalv20
  • Kalv20

A.K.A. ManDog

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:42 AM

As Ash_735 said years ago; it may be the RAGE engine, but a very toned down version of it.

Just to clear this up, it's actually RAGE it uses, but a toned down version of it, as it is Rockstar Own Engine. LCS was based on the Vice incarnation of the Renderware Engine and was near enough "Emulated" the whole thing with a few things added here and there and some stuff tweaked. VCS is an evolved version of that, but not as evolved as the San Andreas incarnation of Renderware. The VCS engine is just a vastly upgraded LCS engine with some stuff copied from the San Andreas Engine. To map it out...

GTA3 - Renderware
Vice City - Renderware, Upgraded Incarnation of GTA3
San Andreas - Renderware, Vast Upgraded Incarnation of Vice City

LCS - RAGE, Based on Vice City Incarnation of Renderware
VCS - RAGE, Upgraded Incarnation of LCS

• MMProductions likes this

sharpie_eastern
  • sharpie_eastern

Hmm, four in bed? That's a kick I haven't tried yet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:06 AM

As Ash_735 said years ago; it may be the RAGE engine, but a very toned down version of it.

Ash is cray.

Grand Theft Auto: III uses the original Renderware engine, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City uses an improved version of Renderware, then San Andreas uses an even more improved version.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories uses a new, in-house engine, which is not Renderware.

There is no "in-house" engine. It a altered version of Vice City for consoles. Here's some proof that LCS is RENDERWARE!
1SmExSD.png

MMProductions
  • MMProductions

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:56 AM Edited by MMProductions, 14 December 2013 - 12:03 PM.

Ash is cray.

There is no "in-house" engine. It a altered version of Vice City for consoles. Here's some proof that LCS is RENDERWARE!
1SmExSD.png

GTA III? It wasn't VC engine?

BTW, Sharpie, I've edited also the Wikipedia article about RenderWare.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:23 PM Edited by SilentPL, 14 December 2013 - 12:24 PM.

Let me quote myself:

III, Vice City and San Andreas were all made using the Renderware engine with updates to the engine for each game.
III made using the base engine, Vice City made using an updated III engine and SA made using an updated Vice city engine.
However Liberty City Stories was developed using an in house game engine created by Rockstar I believe.

saul-goodman.jpg?1372865216
Bzzzzz, wrong!

Don't confuse graphics engine and game's core engine. What you saying about RenderWare is true, but it doesn't really connect with game's entire code. In Stories case, they're based upon VC incarnation of the engine (with some SA features included, like camera code). Graphics engine has very little relevance on choosing what GTA to base the mod on.

So, Stories DO use VC engine but DON'T use RenderWare. Instead, they use an in-house graphics engine by R* Leeds (not RAGE, although they may share some code).

MMProductions
  • MMProductions

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Alright, Silent.

But I want to know what's the true name of this "new in-house engine" that everyone is saying.

But everyone says the GTA Stories engine is RAGE Engine, which didn't debuted until 2006, and LCS was released in 2005.

Another people says the GTA Stories engine is Gamebryo, which is not true, due to the model file extensions.

Gamebryo only shares .NIF model extensions, while this "in-house engine" only shares .MDL files.

I heard sometime ago that this "new engine" was called VF-94, but I didn't found any evidence for that.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

It's probably called RSL3D (Rockstar Leeds 3D Engine) or so.

fastman92
  • fastman92

фастман92 | ف

• Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Rockstar leading 3D Engine.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yeah just to add on from that old ass quote of mine. It's an in-house engine (I called it an early version of RAGE but that was before we knew the actual name), the closest we have is from the files which I think Silent found ages ago which just read out as either R*L3D or RSL3D.

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• The Yardies
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Another thing to note about the Stories is that the rendering backend was specifically made to be compatible with RW code without too much porting - for instance even 'high-level' things like the 'RsGlobal' type seem mostly intact (with, again, an application name of 'GTA3').

• sharpie_eastern, Silent and MMProductions like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users