"The physcology of griefing"

LOL @ you guys, actually discussing this

• LeSuede likes this

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

OP has problems differentiating real life and video games. Please don't go shooting stuff irl now...

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Almost every lobby I go to, someone is trying to attempt to grief. This one jerk went around killing everyone in the room with a buzzard, after he killed me a couple times I took him out and spawn killed him a few times. We battled all the way up to him grabbing a tank and killing me over and over again. This went on for quite some time and he eventually left the room. This guys whole purpose for being in the lobby was to grief people. My theory is he had too much money and he got bored of playing nice and decided to be an asshole which he succeeded.  But its what to be expected, there are some diabolical people in this world, and its not surprising that some of them are also in the gaming community and actually defend their "right" to be as such.

So, he went around free roam(where crazy sh*t can happen ) and killed people.(Like it or not its part of the game) He wasnt specifically going after any person. You fought back and killed him. After the fight kept escalating he brought a tank, made you his bitch, then you raged. Cool story.

My theory is you have no idea what griefing is.

The room was quite small, continuous spawn killing is one of the many ways to grief someone. And he did this, just because I killed him means I dont know the meaning of this? Get your head on straight on and stop assuming things you don't know. Which makes you a presumptuous idiot.

malcolmfunktion
  • malcolmfunktion

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

because yolo

Emmmm, I'm afraid I'm going to need proof...

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:23 PM Edited by SpidersWeb, 01 December 2013 - 09:29 PM.

what is the reasoning behind these actions? do the griefers understand this is not morally correct? And what steps can we take to rehabilitate these kind of people?

Mob mentality - e.g. when I get together with my crew, I tend to be more of an ass than on my own.

Lack of empathy - either they don't think about it or don't care - common with teens and quite normal. So if they got killed, they'll be frustrated/annoyed by it, and becasue they don't care about you, they'll just keep doing it over and over, like 'ultimate payback'. A normal player will give payback once or twice then move on.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

You defined griefing yourself. Nothing against ruining my fun for a while, but if you are trying to forbid me from playing, that is griefing. We both have an equal right to play this game as we see fit and there are common sense limits to how far you can take YOUR fun.

I will reiterate the Battlefield example: One medic in cover could revive a fallen player before he would have a respawn timer / choice. That posed a problem when there is a shooter that keeps killing the revived player. Sometimes you ended up with full squads reviving one player - that is griefing. That is NOT tolerated on any half assed admined server.

Just have to remember that intent to piss you off is only half the criteria. The other half is that they're not supposed to be pissing you off.

The Battlefield example is definitely griefing. They are on your team, they're supposed to be helping you complete the objective, but instead they are purposely causing you (and them) to be unproductive. They are losing according to the game, for the express purpose of ruining the game for you. They are also using a mechanic in an unintended way, by utilizing the ability to revive a player (which is supposed to let them keep playing) in order to prevent that person from playing. It's textbook griefing.

In this game, however, the person spawn camping you is not on your team and they are not supposed to help you find enjoyment. The game developers have given them a gun and purposely made PvP non-consensual. They've also expressly informed every other player that they will earn great rewards for killing you as many times as they can before you're able to escape the conflict they initiated. This behavior is within the acceptable parameters of gameplay.

If someone does not feel that the tools available (passive mode, off the radar, etc) are enough for them to adequately defend themselves or escape from non-consensual PvP, then the devs took it another step further with "Find new session", which immediately swaps out the players you were dealing with for a new batch of players.

I'm certain that there are griefers here that are spawn camping with a tank, and getting off to how upset they imagine the other person is once it becomes clear that said person does not know how to respond to a tank. Griefers tend to be assholes, and are drawn to activities which make that quality obvious. Everything a griefer does is not automatically griefing though, there are lots of ways to be an asshole, more than there are ways not to be.

Spawn camping is just one example, since choosing to do it for no reason makes you an asshole, even though its an intended part of the game.

blackwolfred
  • blackwolfred

HellsWolfPak&Proud

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:53 PM Edited by blackwolfred, 01 December 2013 - 11:54 PM.

Do you mean killing other people? Its to unlock my wep skins and to get xp ... nothing personal bud you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and i ran over you 10 times ... if it makes you feel any better i camped 5 other noobs that night and forget your name the second i left the session

i dont know you,but i don't think that is what he means,well running over his face 10 times,is a bit much,and therapy might be a good option to look in to....here is the kind of griefer i met the other day,on the mission sinking feeling preceeds to get into 1 of the trucks and leave and sticky bombed the other and blew it,leaving me and another stranded in a gun fight,then his victim sends me a message to kick him,i did,the game somehow said we passed gave us our reward,then i get a message that since i kicked him,he was gonna hack me and murder my family.....and if that guy ever reads this know i have saved the message and printed it,wifey wants to persue legal action,lol.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:58 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 02 December 2013 - 12:00 AM.

While I tend to agree that free roam excessive killing is not griefing - not textbook griefing, that is, anything against the mission objective constitutes griefing. That includes, but not limited to: wasting team lives, blocking team assets, destroying team assets, and generally using the game mechanics in a not intended way.

Why I am against free roam excessive killing - because its goal constitutes ruining other player`s fun, not the killing itself or the need to be challenged. That is plain and simple "let`s kill the guy until he gets pissed off, just because". While the game permits you and it is not specifically against any game goal, it does "troll" the player at the end of your gun barrel. The logic is simple: You had your fun at the first 10 kills. Let`s assume you REALLY want to prove a point - you get 50 kills. Anything beyond that constitutes harassment.

• AzraelX likes this

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:16 AM Edited by AzraelX, 02 December 2013 - 12:19 AM.

he did this, just because I killed him means I dont know the meaning of this? Get your head on straight on and stop assuming things you don't know. Which makes you a presumptuous idiot.

I think this is an unnecessarily rude response to him, especially since he was correct.

While I tend to agree that free roam excessive killing is not griefing - not textbook griefing, that is, anything against the mission objective constitutes griefing. That includes, but not limited to: wasting team lives, blocking team assets, destroying team assets, and generally using the game mechanics in an not intended way.

Why I am against free roam excessive killing - because its goal constitutes ruining other player`s fun, not the killing itself or the need to be challenged. That is plain and simple "let`s kill the guy until he gets pissed off, just because". While the game permits you and it is not specifically against any game goal, it does "troll" the player at the end of your gun barrel.

Oh yeah, there is definitely a lot of griefing going on inside missions. People seem to love forcing a mission to fail, usually by destroying some necessary vehicle that they were supposed to protect. Sure, you can kick them out after it happens, but at that point they've already "won" because they wasted a sufficient amount of your time (hey, we're actually talking about the psychology of griefing now :p).

And if they're especially good at it, they can do it without anyone knowing who was responsible. The devs added in-game messages to help figure out who is responsible for mission failures ("so-and-so destroyed the vehicle" or "this guy took the vehicle"), but there's even ways to fail missions which bypass the game's detection so it doesn't assign blame to anyone (or even worse, managing to assign blame to someone else).

Luckily it seems a lot less prevalent in other kinds of jobs. In LTS for example, I've never seen anyone go find a vehicle and hit their own teammates, even though the opportunity is staring them in the face. I'm sure it's happened, but it isn't nearly common enough that you actually have to worry about it. Unlike basically every cooperative mission, where there are multiple ways to disrupt the game for others, which people constantly take advantage of.

Ah well, these days I mostly stay in free roam, because there's nothing anyone can do to you where the devs haven't considered it and given you some way to respond to it (except for towtrucks, which is the lowest form of griefing in this game). I'm good as long as I can potentially stop whatever asshattery someone's up to.

• GankThis110 likes this

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

You're not into physcing?

OGCFB
  • OGCFB

Emperor Eye

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:58 AM Edited by OGCFB, 02 December 2013 - 01:58 AM.

what is the reasoning behind these actions? do the griefers understand this is not morally correct? And what steps can we take to rehabilitate these kind of people?

"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts ... their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?" 

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:04 AM Edited by LeSuede, 02 December 2013 - 02:06 AM.

You're not into physcing?

Four syllable word man, it was just too much for the OP.

MeGusta90
  • MeGusta90

I want a cool image under this sentence

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

People will make their fun.

Be it murdering your own country, dominating the world, or griefing in a game.

Chekoloco
  • Chekoloco

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

I do it sometimes for fun, killing everyone on sight with my Sniper Rifle... so?? It´s GTA!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users