Photo

The physcology of griefing

73 replies to this topic
TheWhiteKnight
  • TheWhiteKnight

Griefer Exterminator

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

what is the reasoning behind these actions? do the griefers understand this is not morally correct? And what steps can we take to rehabilitate these kind of people?

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

Lack of awareness of other. Do nothing to correct it. Capitalism needs dumb slaves to keep the machines running.

vaas
  • vaas

Soprano

• BUSTED!

tell them not to breed

• Average white guy and Eddie_INTV like this

dannybohy
  • dannybohy

Queens of the Damned Crew Founder

• BUSTED!

They just need some love. 

Beach Bum Bandit
  • Beach Bum Bandit

Playa

• Members

Nothing wrong with it. People who don't grief have issues thinking this game is real.

The griefers are the most mentally stable.

• vahnx, Tabula Rasa, don ovdi' island and 6 others like this

I.haigh
  • I.haigh

Girlwitbigtits

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

People like Beach Bum Bandit (beach bum bandit? what the f*ck kind of name is that?) probably play the game acting entirely on impulse. They are powerless to resist the strong instinct to be retarded.

• Average white guy, Soran Is On, Ninjambie and 2 others like this

swagbro
  • swagbro

$

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

because yolo

GRINCH ASS BITCH
  • GRINCH ASS BITCH

Bustre

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

There is no universally-objective set of morals.

Anyway, you know the drill, OP; what's your PSN?

hammertime99
  • hammertime99

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Nothing wrong with it. People who don't grief have issues thinking this game is real.

The griefers are the most mentally stable.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:00 PM Edited by SLUGFly, 29 November 2013 - 03:01 PM.

The f*ck is yolo even supposed to mean? You only die once too. Griefers are assholes because we all have the asshole impulse but nobody will knock your teeth out online. They can get away with it and don't have the necessary intellect or experience to understand that their interactions ARE real interactions. "Thing goes boom! Ha ha! You died! Ha ha! This game sucks! Yolo!" f*cking whatever.
  • SIDtheWHISTLE and Eddie_INTV like this

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:01 PM Edited by Kracus, 29 November 2013 - 03:02 PM.

I posted a great writeup of this awhile back and the topic was locked. Too bad it was an interesting point.

edit: I found the post.

As a human I suspect you know the difference between right and wrong but what's right and wrong in the virtual world? Obviously killing a virtual avatar doesn't have the severe repercussions that would be enforced in real life. But is it ok on a deeper level? Why are women made out of sand?

I'm thinking we need to discuss the basics of what's right and what's wrong as there seems to be a disparity between people who feel it's ok to cheat for cash in an online economy while others feel that it's not fair, so let's get this one out of the way right now. Yes, it's wrong.

But why is it wrong Kracus? You might ask yourself this but deep down I think you know. I think that there's probably some other reason you'd rather justify to yourself (because you're really not convincing anyone else). So there's really only two reasons you come here to brag about how much money you've unfairly gained.

1. You enjoy seeing other people suffer or get upset.

2. You've grown up taking the easy path on a regular basis in life and have become accustomed to it, or even believe you're entitled to it.

Let's discuss these two points since they seem to be the most common.

1. If you enjoy upsetting other people for no other reason than to upset them then you're what's called a sadist. Sadists tend to come with other mental disorders, in fact this mental disorder comes with the highest level of comorbidity to other types of psychopathalogic disorders. A common one found alongside this disorder is "conduct disorder". These symptoms are often described as "antisocial disorders" and are often seen a precursors to general antisocial disorder.

Unfavorable experiences during childhood and early sexual development are believed to be one of the major contributing factors to this disorder.

So you see, I don't blame you for antagonizing other individuals, I simply see you as a lost and confused child who simply did not get the attention they needed growing up. Who knows, perhaps you're still growing! In which case playing games like GTAO while not being the right age might contribute to this neglect I'm referring to. You might think I'm posting this to make fun of you, but the reality is being aware of what you're doing and why you're doing is the first step in becoming a better person. I'm not here to laugh at you, I'm dead serious when I say you should stop and reflect on what you're doing and why you're doing it. This self gratification may make you laugh now but it's not without its toll.

2. Try doing it the hard way, it's more rewarding in the long run. I can't prove this to you it's up to you to figure it out.

So why am I bringing this subject up again? Because there's a lot of threads about how the tow trucks are causing players to freeze in games from people who've glitched a lot of cash. I know, I know... "They aren't the same problem Kracus, one makes the game unplayable and the other doesn't affect you!" 

Well you're wrong, both affect me and when you get on here and instead of just admitting that it does and instead going on a rant about how it doesn't what you're essentially telling me is that you have a problem being accountable for your actions. Thus yo come here to feed off the enjoyment you get because you know or think others get upset over your actions. Even if they don't, it simply makes you feel better to think that they do. You're wrong and you need to wake up.

People work for a living, actual work and when they want to de-stress and sit down and enjoy their favorite pastime it makes the ability to enjoy that pastime much more difficult if you're running around proverbially kicking sand in their faces.

• Scumbag_Dave, God-eater and Eddie_INTV like this

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

tell them not to breed

Better off taking them out behind the shed and shooting them.

:p

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

what is the reasoning behind these actions? do the griefers understand this is not morally correct? And what steps can we take to rehabilitate these kind of people?

Griefers provide a valuable service to the online community in my opinion.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Griefers, or assholes as a general rule, understand very well what is morally correct. They choose to try and piss off or try to "ruin the fun" of other players, just because they think there won`t be consequences - think school bullying for the model of the behavior. 

It is easily corrected with a bigger stick - kick/ban.

You would be amazed how few griefers exist on PC on dedicated servers. But there it doesn`t take long at all to get banned for stupidity.

• Eddie_INTV likes this

petraeus
  • petraeus

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Do you mean killing other people? Its to unlock my wep skins and to get xp ... nothing personal bud you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and i ran over you 10 times ... if it makes you feel any better i camped 5 other noobs that night and forget your name the second i left the session

• AzraelX, ROADSIDE_BUM, spydeeman and 1 other like this

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

I glitched all my money and call other people noobs cause I've been playing MMORPG's for 20 years.

You seriously need to shut up.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:35 PM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 29 November 2013 - 03:37 PM.

Holy assumptions, Batman!

In freeroam, I generally leave people alone unless they bother me, and even then I'll only kill them once or twice. Sometimes it can lead to some interesting gunfights/chases/gangups. If I wasn't ready for others to try and "grief" me,  then I'd play in a private session.

On that note, the term 'griefing' has been watered down to mean "anyone who so much as slightly annoys me for any reason" by a large potion of this board, IMO. An example of griefing would be glitching behind a wall and repeatedly killing anyone who passes by, since that's not supposed to happen in normal play. Someone who say, camps in front of LSC isn't a griefer, because they're not exploiting any game glitches or mechanics and can be easily avoided/killed.

Also, lol at "not morally correct" Morailty is relative. If it weren't, there wouldn't be differing schools of philosophical, religious, and political thought. There wouldn't be differing cultures and standards, et cetera. I find it sad/funny that, even in a video game, you have people incessantly pushing their viewpoints on others, telling people how the game "should" be played and such. Newsflash: you don't make the rules. Neither do I nor anyone else on this forum.

But don't let any of that prevent you from armchair analyzing strangers you briefly meet in a video game.

• Tabula Rasa, AzraelX and UnicornAssassin like this

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

I like to look at it from the perspective of GTA: Online.

Rockstar boasted that GTA:O would encourage sharing and cooperation and that the gameplay would be revolutionary.

However, in free-roam - which is the main lobby - there are few sharing and cooperation opportunities. Even in missions, with shared objectives, sharing and cooperation relies on you playing nicely or using voice chat - hardly revolutionary.

Bad Sport and passive mode are two mechanics that are supposed to bring people into line but instead they are ineffective and worse, sometimes target the wrong people.

And the worst thing of all, in my opinion, is the constant blips on the radar. They only encourage people to come together out of boredom, curiosity or to actively provoke someone - it is a crude, and non-revolutionary, system that actively encourages grief.

So because the game promotes chaotic interaction, has no management of rewards or consequences and poor cooperation systems, grief is actively promoted by the game. Who hasn't committed at least one action of unjust grief against another player in GTA:O? The game actively promotes grief and therefore griefing players will naturally come to the forefront of GTA: Online.

• a20characterusername and Eddie_INTV like this

I.haigh
  • I.haigh

Girlwitbigtits

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

photobucket-funny-gifs-camera-man-fail.g

• neilage and The Spook like this

gevans81
  • gevans81

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

For a while, just after GTA online was launched I would take great pleasure in planting sticky bombs on the approach ramp to any of the LSC mod shops, then I would hide out of sight and detonate said bomb whenever a fellow player would attempt to go mod/sell a vehicle. It felt so bad but at the same time soooo right. 

I don't do that anymore, the insurance con saw to that.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Also, lol at "not morally correct" Morailty is relative. If it weren't, there wouldn't be differing schools of philosophical, religious, and political thought. There wouldn't be differing cultures and standards, et cetera. I find it sad/funny that, even in a video game, you have people incessantly pushing their viewpoints on others, telling people how the game "should" be played and such. Newsflash: you don't make the rules. Neither do I nor anyone else on this forum.

But don't let any of that prevent you from armchair analyzing strangers you briefly meet in a video game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

And the ruleset is how the game is supposed to be played, btw. 

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Taken from that article

"A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended way"

I already covered that in my post. Derp.

Tell me, where is this 'ruleset' that states that people shouldn't kill each other in freeroam?

• AzraelX likes this

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

There is clearly a difference between killing a player and spawn-trapping or other harassment.
  • Eddie_INTV likes this

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Taken from that article

"A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended way"

I already covered that in my post. Derp.

Tell me, where is this 'ruleset' that states that people shouldn't kill each other in freeroam?

Let`s put it this way: If I kill you 10 times, it`s kiling you in free roam. If I kill you 50 times within 10 minutes, I am griefing you.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:56 PM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 29 November 2013 - 03:57 PM.

There is clearly a difference between killing a player and spawn-trapping or other harassment.

You can respawn in passive mode, preventing spawn-trapping (in most cases, anyway).

I get why people complain about such things, and I even agree to an extent, I just don't like it when people act as if their way of playing is the only way of playing. I'm not saying you personally do that, but some here clearly feel that way.

Let`s put it this way: If I kill you 10 times, it`s kiling you in free roam. If I kill you 50 times within 10 minutes, I am griefing you.

By your definition, perhaps. It's certainly not part of any 'ruleset' of the game. Like I said, If I wasn't prepared for that, I'd play in a private session.

TheWhiteKnight
  • TheWhiteKnight

Griefer Exterminator

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Griefers provide a valuable service to the online community in my opinion.
Go on?

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:07 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 29 November 2013 - 04:08 PM.

By your definition, perhaps. It's certainly not part of any 'ruleset' of the game. Like I said, If I wasn't prepared for that, I'd play in a private session.

Regardless of what you do or don`t do, the action is still griefing.

EightSe7en
  • EightSe7en

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

Whiteknight, congratulations, you have been awarded the king of useless threads.

Congratulations.
  • Tabula Rasa likes this

I.haigh
  • I.haigh

Girlwitbigtits

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

Whiteknight, congratulations, you have been awarded the king of useless threads.

Congratulations.

Useless threads always seem to go on and on, page after page. 

kasheku
  • kasheku

Somewhere in LS

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

I didnt kill another player until level 20. By then i had enough. didnt know who was going to ride with me, or shoot me dead.

so now, everyone is a target. I dont discriminate. Only ones i dont kill are friends. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users