583 replies to this topic
ToBContinued08
  • ToBContinued08

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

·         The Beginning:

o   It all started with a simple conversation between a few racers in the world of GTAO. A conversation that would lead to a fast growing family with one common interest, the love of racing. Tired of weak racers, bumper cars, and pit maneuvers, a notion was put in place to find good, honest, clean racers. Players that knew how to handle their car and race with true motion. Multiple things began to take place and ideas started to rush in. This was the beginning of a crew.

o   After searching for clean racers, the idea came about (put forth by Mo-Seph) to start an Approved Racers thread. Little did we know that it would quickly become a hot topic with over 2000 views and 10 pages of discussion (some randomness does take place). This ultimately lead to the creation of Red Rum Racing on November 6, 2013. A crew that vows to race clean, fair and do whats right when it’s necessary.

o   Starting with just a few members, Red Rum quickly grew to over 50 members in less than a month. Now to some, this seems low. But you have to understand that this is a this is not to say that all we do is race. We have had Gymkhana Drifting sessions at the airport (Tolly’s idea), barrel rolls using the airline steps at the airport, rock climbing, and whatever else comes about. Sometimes, the best sessions are at random.

·         What is Red Rum about?

o   Well as most can figure, we are about racing. But not just any racing. We follow a very strict set of rules, also known as “Gentleman’s Rules”. When we race, we race for the competition, fun, and the pride of knowing you won a good clean fair race. No pitting maneuvers, no bumper car action, and no “Protect first place at all cost”. When we race, you can count on being able to pass another player with confidence that you will not be shoved off the road. Now, while racing accidents are bound to happen. Over-correcting in a turn and slamming into another player. Hitting your brakes sooner than the person behind you. And the ever so often Slip Stream Rear-End Tap. When accidents happen, we do what we fill is necessary to accommodate those if the accident was out fault.

If you’re looking for a crew that races in supers and sticks to Criminal Minds or Down The Drain, you’re better off staying in the parking lot with the soccer moms. Red Rum races on a variety of tracks, variety of conditions, and a variety of vehicles. Even though we may run the same track a few times, the vehicle class almost always changes. This helps to bring in a new challenge and keeps players from getting use to a certain criteria. When you become comfortable, you become weak every where else. Racing in a variety helps deviate that and keeps the racer on his/her toes.

Red Rum Racing- Ride Together. Die Together.

• Alchemist, RIGHTLY, Drummin and 1 other like this

ToBContinued08
  • ToBContinued08

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:18 AM Edited by ToBContinued08, 12 December 2013 - 08:58 PM.

Red Rum Racing: Gentleman Guidelines

When you race with Red Rum, youre racing with a special class of people. We follow a certain code of racing, aka Gentlemen Rules. Now, these are not necessarily Rules to follow, for more of a guideline of how we race and like to handle things.

·         If you over-correct or spin-out, check to make sure no other racers are going to be in the way of you backing up or otherwise moving forward. Nothing sucks more than coming around a turn only to collide with someone else.

·         BE CAUTIOUS OF SLIPSTREAMS!!! I cant express this one enough. If you know a turn or corner is coming up, do what is needed to make sure you dont send the racer in front of you flying through the turn because you rear ended them.

o   Slip Stream Tips: If you are in a slip stream and a turn is coming up, you can get off of the throttle and actually use their slip stream to pull you through a turn. If done properly, it will set you up with one hell of a pass once you lay back into the throttle.

·         We understand that accidents happen. Bumps and nudges are inevitable when it comes to racing. What separates us from the bumper cars is the fact that we make every attempt to keep said accidents from happening as well as not intentionally wrecking someone.

·         Do what you can to anticipate a players move. Try to keep passing from passing until you are in a straight section. Corner passing can lead to both people being thrown out of position with no positive gain. If you feel comfortable to make a pass in a turn or corner, do so respectfully. Should an accident happen, do what is expected to correct the accident.

·         Just because someone is not familiar with racing, does not mean that we can Show them whos boss. We take pride in showing new racers the way of the road. Always be respectful, regardless of level or experience.

·         We have two types of Risk Factors. Justifiable Risk and Unjustifiable Risk.

o   Justified Risk: Taking a risk that will not affect any other players but is a risk to you. For example, taking a corner at an above average speed to either gain track time or speed on the player in front you. This is the name of the game.

o   Unjustified Risk: Taking a risk that will not only affect you, but will affect others. For example, taking a corner too fast while surrounded by others and causing an accident. You can judge when you are taking a corner too fast. In this case, use your very best judgement.

·         When racing with randoms, it is safe to assume that they know nothing about how we race. This in turn, can become a very ugly and aggressive match. However, this in, no way shape or form, means that aggressive driver is allowed by a Red Rum Member. Use a strategy to keep aggressive randoms in their place. Nothing pissed them off more than over-coming their pit maneuvers for your own gain. Personally, I will sometimes take the back road just to give it some time for the racers to spread apart. Now it becomes a simple overtake game.

·         Brake Lights: The laws of the roads can be applied to this one. When you see brake lights, either slow down or move over. Now, some racers, such as myself, will often let off the gas earlier and not touch the brake at all. This is a strategy that I use so I can only expect to be hit. However, I do any/ everything I can to know when people are behind me and stay out of their line of racing.

• When participating in a Crew Only Session Free Roam, do not treat it as just your average free roam. We do not randomly kill nor do we kill crew members. Their has been discussion about Bounties on other players head. DO NOT KILL THEM UNLESS THEY GIVE THE GO AHEAD! Such actions will have you kicked very quickly. 

As said above, these are not so much rules as they are guidelines to how Red Rum Members are expected to race and behave. We are not baby sitters and we will not tolerate abusive or aggressive behavior. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Red Rum Certified Tracks

Down For Browntown- EyeMacHunt- Lap race through the city. Long straights, tight turns and intricate sections. Skill required.

Beach Trip- Katrina90X- Route from beach to beach.

Escape The Base- ash.lewis- Drive to freedom.

Gold Digger- EyeMacHunt- Keep your eyes peeled for your future sugar mamma/daddy in this race around the affluent areas of LS

Vinewood Rum- ToBContinued08- Race through Vinewood with turns that will test your skills. Let's just hope you took it easy on the rum.

Choke Points- NittyDon- City lights and tight alleyways, maintain your speed in this lap race for 16 players, will you take the gentleman's approach to tight situations or will you wipe out your enemies?

Limit Breaker- Freedom2Fight- Long straightaways, oncoming traffic, tight turns and off-road sections - test the limits of your driving skills and your car of choice.

This Could Get Messy- NittyDon- Ultimate off-road test ... problem is can 16 players complete the track and remain alive? Life Jacket recommended.

Criminal RRRecords- mo-seph- Escape the penitentiary RedRum style. On-Road, Off-Road, Anything to shake the cops. Finish up at McKenzie Airfield to fly to freedom.

Detour Through Los Santos- mo-seph- If your stay in Los Santos is short then a quick drive along the bend might make up for lost time. The detour is free of distractions allowing for cars and motorbikes.

Dam Road- peeroy- To The Dam; Dirty Race

Back Entrance- EyeMacHunt- Grand Prix style circuit through Los Santos city.

Runway Drifters- worthsclio- Take a sideways view of LS Airport.

Car Park Wars- ashleyman- Twist, Turn & Drift your way through Los Santos International and The Bank Arena. Pick up some speed down the freeways and watch out for stray deliveries. 

MORE COMING SOON!

• Alchemist and T0lly like this

Curlypyebs
  • Curlypyebs

• Members
  • England

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:22 AM Edited by Curlypyebs, 29 November 2013 - 02:51 AM.

Edit: Wrong thread.

• ToBContinued08 likes this

T0lly
  • T0lly

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:19 AM

Fast growing crew. I have met some great folks and have had the best moments in GTAO with RRR1.
The DDZN crew has some shown some great competition. I am looking forward to. crew Vs. crew challenge with them.
  • ToBContinued08 and mo-seph like this

Nitty Don
  • Nitty Don

C*nt Mode - [ON] OFF

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Welcome Gentlemen .... refreshing to have a unique crew started and full of mature players !! That really is not the norm for this section in GTAF !!

Good luck not that I feel you guys will need it :)

• ToBContinued08 and mo-seph like this

T0lly
  • T0lly

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Had a great session today with RRR1 and friends. Completed several playlists races with SUV's and bikes. A few parachute jumps, Stunt jumping, and some Rally style races which were surprisingly fun. Will need to do more of that. Get some mic's folks, is much more pleasurable to be able to communicate instantly.

One tip I would give to the racers is to brake or slow down some when you have a driver in front of you. Especially coming into turns. If you tap someone in the rear, let off the throttle for a second. I have been repeatedly bounced or pushed off the track when trying to brake for a turn. A "clean pass" is a pass in which you do not touch the other car.

Good fun crew. See you in Los Santos!

• Curlypyebs likes this

Curlypyebs
  • Curlypyebs

• Members
  • England

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:22 AM

I know i'm not as good racing as most of the RRR1 crew and i do try to keep it clean but i hate starting at the front for this reason. You end up in last place after the first few corners

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

Love being a part of this crew, a friendly family and tight knit community. Our global reach pretty much always guarenteed to find someone online no matter what time of day.

For some of our less seasoned members I would higly recommend running some laps with our more veteran racers (same goes if you are looking to join us here at Red Rum Racing) If your unfamiliar with a track let them know and they will talk you through some problem points, running through a few times to help you build your knowledge and experience...

For those of us on psn if im about invite me into a race from the crew members list. im usually found in an invite only session with other crew members running playlists and impromptu races, often with some off roading and bmx action thrown into the mix too... Do also enjoy a good gang attack or Survival, for those of us with occasional itchy trigger fingers.

Ride together, die together. Red Rum for life

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Ah, another thread I need to bookmark. Posted about a session last night in the pics thread with my snapmatic contribution, next time I'll split it up, as appropriate.
What time zone are you Mo? I like the sound of those sessions, my BMX is getting rusty....

Nitty Don
  • Nitty Don

C*nt Mode - [ON] OFF

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Do also enjoy a good gang attack or Survival, for those of us with occasional itchy trigger fingers.

Happy to do so, but I only play free aim !! ;) if your fingers get that itchy feel free to join me on a TDM or 2 tonight :)

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

Ah, another thread I need to bookmark. Posted about a session last night in the pics thread with my snapmatic contribution, next time I'll split it up, as appropriate.
What time zone are you Mo? I like the sound of those sessions, my BMX is getting rusty....

Hey Cuz,

Im in the UK so im on GMT, always have to convert T0lly and TBC's times when trying to arrange things online lol... Might be an idea for us to get an bit of knowledge on each others timezones for relative conversions.

Do also enjoy a good gang attack or Survival, for those of us with occasional itchy trigger fingers.

Happy to do so, but I only play free aim !! ;) if your fingers get that itchy feel free to join me on a TDM or 2 tonight :)

hehe you FA guys, but in all fairness i dont mind playing freeaim.

im not a shooter by any stretch, but when im in AA lobbies i tend to stay out of range of the assist anyway and do my best to use freeaim, sometimes to my demise,,,, but ill never learn if i dont try lol

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

As this is a bit more f a general discussion thread i thought id rase a inital topic of discussion..

NittyDon asked on the Approved Racers thread about setting out some guidelines as to what the Genetlemans Rules mean, in order that we can give guidance to others who may be new to the crew, or indeed prospective new members...

If it was blown up outside LSC in Blaine County then that was me, had a jerry can moment I couldn't pass on !!

Good races Friday, all approved, although there was one person who was a bit eager, I messaged Tolly and let him know but as I said in message I don't believe it was dirty racing just eagerness to push past, which leads me to gentlemans rules, might be worth listing said rules in OP ?

my point of view is if I spin off and I am 1st I will always check oncoming traffic to ensure I'm not pulling out in front of 2nd place and essentially ruining their race too, also If I make an almighty f*ck up (like the one I did whilst trying to smoke and drive lol) I will find a spot away from the track and end my race but I might be a bit OTT in that ?

Would be nice to list what is expected from others, the way I see it is there are no prizes to be won for winning, but plenty of respect and friends to be won by acting decent :)

now i know this is more of an outalook than a strict set of rules, but i do think its a valid point... before we set anything in stone i would personally like to see alot of crew input into a set of guidelines, then we all know were singing from the same hymn sheet (or racing from the same grid... whichever you prefer :p)

also definitely second that slipstreaming into a corner is a baaaaad idea... ive noticed that in a slipstream if your going full throttle, you can release the trigger by about a 1/3 and still retain the exact same speed.  Ive done this a few times slipstreaming t0lly, curley and rage (if i remember rightly), managed to keep up with them with alot less throttle... so with that in mind it makes passing (when the coast is clear) alot easier as you have that extra bit of throttle just sitting and waiting, so when the time is right, pick your side, dip out of the slipstream and hammer that trigger down fully and you get a real nice slingshot

if you retain full throttle on the trigger you are going to back end someone, which obviously in a corner is effectively a PIT and something we want to avoid...

a third point id like to put forward is watching others racing lines... if someone cuts out to the left before a right hand turn, be wary of the inside line... it's clear with this sort of positioning someone is lining up to take a racing line across the apex and if you dump yourself in the inside line your quickly making yourself into a roadblock...

Brake lights,,, these are there for a reason.. to warn you of someone slowing down, if you see them you either need to a) slow down, or b) move over...

im sure there will be input from others on what the gentlemans rules mean and hopefully when weve got some sense of opinion from our regular members we can get a definitive set of guidelines that we all agree on, so as we move forward with the crew we can ensure we are all working to the same set of principles and values when representing Red Rum.

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

GMT here too so I'm sure we'll run into each other soon enough, figuratively of course.... ;)
I get on after my boys are in bed and the missus gives the telly up, pretty regularly from 9/10pm till past my bedtime.

Nitty Don
  • Nitty Don

C*nt Mode - [ON] OFF

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

Only ask as I think as your crew expands some will need to know expectations in order not to piss off standing members.

Also probably best to leave a simple as possible, agree with all of your post bar the lines I already know my race lines and have found there are corners I will go inside lane for that others go outside now if we are neck a neck going into that corner who would be in the wrong ?

Within DDZN the gentlemans rule is applied but no written rules, we found out very early that accidents do happen and we have to respect that as we got close to full blown arguments about a nudge on a corner, we accept that slipstreaming can lead to back end collisions and occasional corners get messy, its more about players intentions rather than driving as we have members of all ranks and experience so had to be slightly liberal in rules to not omit all players. 

Our group is split into shooters (I actually would say I fall in this catergory for DDZN) racers (good core racers with values) and free moders so we had to respect not everybody was going to be the best race and perform amazingly every race.

Some more background of DDZN race history below :

http://gtaforums.com...e-leaderboards/

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:52 PM Edited by mo-seph, 03 December 2013 - 12:58 PM.

Only ask as I think as your crew expands some will need to know expectations in order not to piss off standing members.

Also probably best to leave a simple as possible, agree with all of your post bar the lines I already know my race lines and have found there are corners I will go inside lane for that others go outside now if we are neck a neck going into that corner who would be in the wrong ?

Within DDZN the gentlemans rule is applied but no written rules, we found out very early that accidents do happen and we have to respect that as we got close to full blown arguments about a nudge on a corner, we accept that slipstreaming can lead to back end collisions and occasional corners get messy, its more about players intentions rather than driving as we have members of all ranks and experience so had to be slightly liberal in rules to not omit all players. 

Our group is split into shooters (I actually would say I fall in this catergory for DDZN) racers (good core racers with values) and free moders so we had to respect not everybody was going to be the best race and perform amazingly every race.

Some more background of DDZN race history below :

http://gtaforums.com...e-leaderboards/

I do agree with you fella and thats why i feel (not that this represents the crews view as a whole)  it should be more of a guidelines than a set of rules as it is more to do with the intention than the result, purposefully hitting poeple is defiantly a no-no, but we've always accepted that contact can and will happen, but should be handled with respect where possible... obviously some racers are less experienced than others, meaning theres an increased likelyhood of mistakes being made, thats not their fault but we do have an element of duty to help train and coach them to improve their game.

On the subject of racing lines i am the same as you on some corners and i think weve shown that in a few races together drifting side by side round corners... there's a few spots i'm very comfortable with taking a quite aggressive line through a corner (there's one or two that i purposefully use a lampost to correct a back end slide, cos i know its there) and if someone takes an outside-inside-outside approach across the apex ive an opportunity to nip on the inside...

im not saying to avoid taking your preferred lines, id never take away from individual style of racing... but for newer members (which this would be designed for) its worth noting who is around you and where they intend on placing themselves...

in terms of your example if your really neck and neck and you take an inside while they go o-i-o id expect you to actually hit the apex first, clear of the other driver (less track distance for you to cover) but both racers would need to anticipate each others lines and what to anticipate... similar to how we all expect NPCs to turn in front of us we should be anticipating other drivers preferred lines to make sure that a) their line doesn't mess up yours, and b ) your line doesnt mess up theirs... corners are a dangerous point in racing, so taking a pass is always better on a straight section, if im racing with guys ive not much track time with ill tend towards being more cautious in a corner and play chase, rather than taking my preferred tight lines and possibly messing up someone elses run...

obviously the gentlemans rules are something we all interpret in our own way and i wouldnt want to dummy that down to a strict list of concrete rules (were not the stazi after all :p)... but you are right that new members should have some form of guidance on what is expected when representing RRR members... getting to know each others lines when racing together is important, im pretty confident i could sit in t0lly's slipstream for a full lap of dippin in, or through the fuyll race of senora freeway if it came down to it, as weve raced those tracks alot together... but that only comes from experience and track time together so I know i can get out of his way quickly if were lining up differently on corners,,, new guys wont necessary have that and with you and I taking some corners quite aggressively (alot more brake, gas brake gas work) on the inside-line we put ourselves in a potentially problematic area for those who take the higher speed (off gas, brake on gas) o-i-o approach

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Ok so, i agree with some others in the idea that this should not really be a set of rules but more like guidelines and experience sharing. My thought is that if everyone shares the types of things they have done that are positive than other members reading can get the general idea of what we like to see from our racers.

Example...last night i was in a arm wrestling match with a random lvl 19. I beat him 5 times in a row and then he gave up. System always dumps the two players side by side at the end and there is usually a shootout...but i remained unarmed and calmly walked to my car and drove away. I enter into a race and he immediately joins up. He had only done two before. I spent an hour talking him through a few tracks and giving pointers...and at the end of each race i parked at the finish and let him take the win.

Example...tight curvy race with little to no room in the turns to pass. I have been known to pump the throttle just enough to keep myself within two or three car lengths of the driver in front of me, within the slipstream for several checkpoints just waiting for the right time to safely punch it and pass.

Example... i take wide and fast aproaches to fast turns where i cut to the inside line. If i see on the minimap that there are people approaching same turn in the center or inside lines i will slow down just enough to slip behind them into the turn. Added benefit is you will still be maintaining more speed that they will coming out of the turn and generally end up back in front of them.

Example...racing hard for a position and you acidentally tap the opponent causing then to hit a pole or otherwise spin out. I will back off and wit for them to recover and continue the close race as long as it is not compromising additional positions from other racers.

Example...two cars side by side traverssing a turn, the outside cars starts to lose the rear grip and slip out. I make every attempt to brace thier car with mine to try to keep them moving forward...why? Because they probably would have been in my line had i not been there and in some small way they sacrificed to play clean. They should not be punished for that sacrifice if i can help it.

Thought...it is often much more difficult to race clean. You will do things and go places you would never normally go if you were solo. It requires more skill to race clean, more awareness to race gentlemanly, and earns more respect when your opponents recognize your efforts.

Proud to be a Red Rum Racer.
  • ashleyman likes this

ashleyman
  • ashleyman

OBE

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

I think the same as LuapYIIier it should be guidelines or principles. We wouldn't want to turn into the kind of guys that regulate everything. That's just silly and no fun!

I will admit Im the naughty little boy of the group. If we're doing an Impromptu race you can sometimes expect a lot of things to go BOOM as it switches to GO. But I never intend to blow anyone up! And if I do, I am always sorry. We had an incident when one guy once got a bit peeved that he got accidentally blown up and then spent the next hour and countless thousands trying to kill me, ruining the fun for me and I'm sure some others. 

The slipstream thing is always an issue! I am guilty of that, but I didn't know any better, now I do I am fixing up my driving style. 

When in Free Roam, it's actually quite nice to be able to get on with things and not be hassled. Personally I would like to see us doing more missions than just racing and Impromptu's. I like the missions. 

As for racing. So long as you don't PIT me, or side tackle me, or spin me out as I'm going round, then your cool.

I think all this watch out for others racing line is a bit overkill, your just looking for a reason to make sure people don't pass you. Within reason, obviously take the time to make sure your not becoming a roadblock, but isn't a good race technique also blocking and not surrendering your position? If you can skilfully hold 1st and keep the person behind cleanly, then do it. I do! On the other hand, if that skill isn't in your belt. Then let them pass.

That's what I think anyways :)

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Maintaning a position by paying attention to the person behind you and attempting to move to block is good strategy, however if you do this and end up getting spun from the tap in the ass...dont blame the opponent. If you move over too late and end up pitting yourself...again, your fault. If you move over way late and end up side swipping or pitting them...it is in essence unintentional and if it was me i would slow and wait for them.

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Good posts, cant disagree with anything there or even add much.
I think the simpler the better, as Don says. Intention is the key thing and bad ones are always pretty obvious. The grey area is the difference between clumsy and careless.
If you take the inside and brake late then you're gonna smack anyone taking a 'proper' line. Some do this with bad intention, some are just careless. Same applies to slipstreaming.
I'm fine with occasional clumsyness (I have to put up with my own) but being a repeatedly careless driver is as bad as anything else.

Interesting thinking about line respect. Last night or the night before, on downtown underground, I started at the front and took a very wide line on the 1st corner. Thought I had more room than I did and tried to cut in across the apex, naturally everyone piled into me. I took that as my fault, it was me being careless of the others following so I won't do it again. It's a narrow margin, pushing thru someone on the inside or cutting them up from the outside. That's where it comes down to respect imo.
That said, it is supposed to be competitive and thats where I'm having to learn, the balance between risking contact and making it. I don't mind the former at all but its a very fine line. Overtaking at corners is a part of racing but its a bit of a minefield.... I wouldn't want to go as far as saying avoid it. its one of those things where caution should be the watchword and occasional accidents tolerated.

Mentioning 1st corner pile ups, there's been a fair few of them in races ive been hosting. Don't know whether its because of the randoms that have been sneaking into lobbies or its just one of those things but I do feel a little responsible, as host. Any thoughts on that particular tangle? I do my best to sacrifice position rather than hit anyone but its unavoidable at times.

T0lly
  • T0lly

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Example... I spent an hour talking him through a few tracks and giving pointers...and at the end of each race i parked at the finish and let him take the win.

Example...tight curvy race with little to no room in the turns to pass. I have been known to pump the throttle just enough to keep myself within two or three car lengths of the driver in front of me, within the slipstream for several checkpoints just waiting for the right time to safely punch it and pass.

Example... i take wide and fast aproaches to fast turns where i cut to the inside line. If i see on the minimap that there are people approaching same turn in the center or inside lines i will slow down just enough to slip behind them into the turn. Added benefit is you will still be maintaining more speed that they will coming out of the turn and generally end up back in front of them.

Example...racing hard for a position and you acidentally tap the opponent causing then to hit a pole or otherwise spin out. I will back off and wit for them to recover and continue the close race as long as it is not compromising additional positions from other racers.

Great examples Luap, I have done these same things. It is more challenging to race clean and this is what I enjoy about it. For me a tight clean race with others doing the same is the best. If you tap me and spin out I will generally keep going, but if I tap you and spin you out I will let you take the position back (if I realized what happened). I have seen lag cause a collision which is not visible on the others screen.

Good points and opinions from everyone. I am also for a loose rule based format. I think we should lay some guidelines that we agree on and encourage an accepted behavior for crew members to follow. Since the crew has a hierarchy chain of command structure in place I suggest we use that for governing activities and behavior. I think coaching members on accepted behavior and racing techniques is an essential way to increase the crew’s skill level and bring everyone closer. If a member really wants to be part of the crew and is interested in improving they should embrace input from others. If they are not open to this then they probably should find another crew, but these decisions should be discussed by the higher chain of command.

For accepted racing behavior my main point would be;

Winning at all costs is not the best way to win with the exception being GTA races. I like to increase my win/lose ratio but I will not ruin others fun to get a higher number. Following the racing line, advanced braking, and passing techniques are great and for some of us seasoned racers may seem like second nature, but for a lot of folks this is a new concept. This is where the coaching comes into play.

Free roam lobby behavior; I say do what you want but respect the crew’s mantra (do we have one?). When with the crew only fight each other if is accepted by all parties. If you want to grief, exploit, glitch, whatever change your active crew to something other than RRR1. I am usually in passive mode when in free roam as randomly killing and shooting at things is not how I get my kicks. But I know others like to do this so have at it, but please leave innocents out of the danger zone. In crew & invite only sessions I have been repeatedly killed, car blown up, and had wanted levels and car impounded when messaging, setting up a race, in start menu, or just standing minding my own business. So I find myself getting distance or staying in my apartment when hanging with the crew.

That is a long enough post. I look forward to playing with you folks and what we can come up with.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

As i mentioned above...and learned from hundreds of laps done on Downtown Underground, my method is to always run down the far left lane and cut in as close to the corner light pole as possible. 9 times out of 10 I seem to be the first one reaching the corner, however everyone behind me is likely getting slip stream at this point and I have developed a habit of checking my rearview and determining if i have enough room to safely cut through. If I dont, I dont even play around with it. It is way too easy to miss that next checkpoint on the outside. I always assume that at least one of the opponents will hit it too fast and plow through the whole pack pushong them towward outside. So I nail the brakes hard for about half second and then cut my usual line...I watch the entire pack flow through and then pass them up as they all deal with each other. When done successfully you will pull out beyond slipstream distance and be travelling at full speed by next corner. At that point, if catch up is off...the race is over for them. Knowing when and where to sacrifice can be crucial.
  • T0lly likes this

ashleyman
  • ashleyman

OBE

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Maintaning a position by paying attention to the person behind you and attempting to move to block is good strategy, however if you do this and end up getting spun from the tap in the ass...dont blame the opponent. If you move over too late and end up pitting yourself...again, your fault. If you move over way late and end up side swipping or pitting them...it is in essence unintentional and if it was me i would slow and wait for them.

But the person behind shouldn't become frustrated and rear end the person blocking on purpose. That isn't good race etiquette at all. 

Mentioning 1st corner pile ups, there's been a fair few of them in races ive been hosting. Don't know whether its because of the randoms that have been sneaking into lobbies or its just one of those things but I do feel a little responsible, as host. Any thoughts on that particular tangle? I do my best to sacrifice position rather than hit anyone but its unavoidable at times.

1st Corner pile ups are to be expected with randoms or careless drivers. I would expect more from approved racers. 

• T0lly likes this

ashleyman
  • ashleyman

OBE

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

Free roam lobby behavior; I say do what you want but respect the crew’s mantra (do we have one?). When with the crew only fight each other if is accepted by all parties. If you want to grief, exploit, glitch, whatever change your active crew to something other than RRR1. I am usually in passive mode when in free roam as randomly killing and shooting at things is not how I get my kicks. But I know others like to do this so have at it, but please leave innocents out of the danger zone. In crew & invite only sessions I have been repeatedly killed, car blown up, and had wanted levels and car impounded when messaging, setting up a race, in start menu, or just standing minding my own business. So I find myself getting distance or staying in my apartment when hanging with the crew.

I know I said earlier I was the naughty one of the group. But I wouldn't grief any crew members at all. I might cause some havoc on the map while in private but I would never target anyone specifically. 

I would agree with leaving innocents out of the danger zone.

Another point is smashing cars! WHY DO YOU DRIVE INTO ME WHEN I AM SAT STILL? I don't particularly want to have to get my car repaired because YOU can't drive! We're all guilty of it sometimes. But I have noticed that some members do like to tap and nudge you if your sat still. Or they like to do donuts and tail whip your hood. It's not a big deal, just annoying!

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:38 PM Edited by LuapYllier, 03 December 2013 - 02:42 PM.

The person behind may not have a choice if they are running up with slipstream for a pass and you move into thir lane to block. I actually dont do this very often as it is very easy for one or both cars to end up in a wall...but on the commute in particular i have found it quite usefull for maintaining first against a particularly determined foe.

Alternately, i dont see crew mates as foes at all usually. If it is a crew member moving to pass i usually let them go because two skilled slip streamers can leapfrog to gain much more distance on the pack.
  • mo-seph likes this

ashleyman
  • ashleyman

OBE

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

The person behind may not have a choice if they are running up with slipstream for a pass and you move into thir lane to block. I actually dont do this very often as it is very easy for one or both cars to end up in a wall...but on the commute in particular i have found it quite usefull for maintaining first against a particularly determined foe.

Alternately, i dont see crew mates as foes at all usually. If it is a crew member moving to pass i usually let them go because two skilled slip streamers can leapfrog to gain much more distance on the pack.

I agree slipstreams can cause issues. I was just pointing out the fact that blocking is all part of racing.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

this was kind of my point earlier... i know theres healthy competition within RRR, but i wouldnt want that to turn into a healthy rivalry... ultimately if we move towards Crew vs Crew we need people who race well together, swapping slip streams.... which is where my "be conscious of other racing lines" comment originated... im all for winning and do regularly win races, but id hate to be the cause of someone losing a race because of my choice of racing line... jsut as we try to avoid static object like lampposts and hydrants, we should be trying to avoid moving objects too.. which brings us back to Don's point regarding intentions.. if your intentionally blocking someones line, you can do this respectfully, making them up their game to pass you (i know me and curly/swifty have done this a few times), or you can do it disrespectfully by cutting them up... i think blocking and cutting people up are different

Also for those of you who have ran playlists with you will know its possible to win a playlist without winning a single race... ive done it once or twice where ive placed in second or third in every race, yet still come out on top overall...

I know I said earlier I was the naughty one of the group. But I wouldn't grief any crew members at all. I might cause some havoc on the map while in private but I would never target anyone specifically. 

I would agree with leaving innocents out of the danger zone.

Another point is smashing cars! WHY DO YOU DRIVE INTO ME WHEN I AM SAT STILL? I don't particularly want to have to get my car repaired because YOU can't drive! We're all guilty of it sometimes. But I have noticed that some members do like to tap and nudge you if your sat still. Or they like to do donuts and tail whip your hood. It's not a big deal, just annoying!

ill second that, if someones sitting still in a lobby, leave them be... having to repair your car for no real reason is annoying and cuts down on race time.

Example... I spent an hour talking him through a few tracks and giving pointers...and at the end of each race i parked at the finish and let him take the win.

Great examples Luap, I have done these same things. It is more challenging to race clean and this is what I enjoy about it. For me a tight clean race with others doing the same is the best. If you tap me and spin out I will generally keep going, but if I tap you and spin you out I will let you take the position back (if I realized what happened). I have seen lag cause a collision which is not visible on the others screen.

Good points and opinions from everyone. I am also for a loose rule based format. I think we should lay some guidelines that we agree on and encourage an accepted behavior for crew members to follow. Since the crew has a hierarchy chain of command structure in place I suggest we use that for governing activities and behavior. I think coaching members on accepted behavior and racing techniques is an essential way to increase the crew’s skill level and bring everyone closer. If a member really wants to be part of the crew and is interested in improving they should embrace input from others. If they are not open to this then they probably should find another crew, but these decisions should be discussed by the higher chain of command.

For accepted racing behavior my main point would be;

Winning at all costs is not the best way to win with the exception being GTA races. I like to increase my win/lose ratio but I will not ruin others fun to get a higher number. Following the racing line, advanced braking, and passing techniques are great and for some of us seasoned racers may seem like second nature, but for a lot of folks this is a new concept. This is where the coaching comes into play.

That is a long enough post. I look forward to playing with you folks and what we can come up with.

just note that changing active crew dsoes seem to drop your crew rank and unlock down... i tested it last week to confirm luaps suspicions and lost all my unlocks according to social club, but ive not tested in game yet

fair point

I think the same as LuapYIIier it should be guidelines or principles. We wouldn't want to turn into the kind of guys that regulate everything. That's just silly and no fun!

I will admit Im the naughty little boy of the group. If we're doing an Impromptu race you can sometimes expect a lot of things to go BOOM as it switches to GO. But I never intend to blow anyone up! And if I do, I am always sorry. We had an incident when one guy once got a bit peeved that he got accidentally blown up and then spent the next hour and countless thousands trying to kill me, ruining the fun for me and I'm sure some others. 

The slipstream thing is always an issue! I am guilty of that, but I didn't know any better, now I do I am fixing up my driving style. 

When in Free Roam, it's actually quite nice to be able to get on with things and not be hassled. Personally I would like to see us doing more missions than just racing and Impromptu's. I like the missions. 

As for racing. So long as you don't PIT me, or side tackle me, or spin me out as I'm going round, then your cool.

I think all this watch out for others racing line is a bit overkill, your just looking for a reason to make sure people don't pass you. Within reason, obviously take the time to make sure your not becoming a roadblock, but isn't a good race technique also blocking and not surrendering your position? If you can skilfully hold 1st and keep the person behind cleanly, then do it. I do! On the other hand, if that skill isn't in your belt. Then let them pass.

That's what I think anyways :)

i like missions too ash, although it does tend to be race heavy if im online earlier and theres less RRR members about ill often run a mission or survival with randoms... with interesting results... i tend not to race much with randoms as id prefer to wait for RRR members to come online... but i do like to shoot every now and then so sure we can hook up some missions. with us having more members than can fit in an invite only lobby now, there is scope to split off for certain activities  (more organisation required lol)...

ive also noticed t0lly in a few survivals recently and our fearless leader TBC08 has been know to thrown down a mission or two, we even did a gang attack after an impromptu race the other day (which got me thinking about a gang attack or survival tour, impromptu between the start points, start the attack or survival, race to the next point)

these are some of the reasons i think it might be an idea for us to have a private RRR forum for events discussion, taking poll for who would be interested i what and setting up some new game types to enjoy... obviously we all love driving so we can find ways to incorporate that

ToBContinued08
  • ToBContinued08

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Few things guys:

I'm working on a guide lines write up that's including all of the stuff you guys are disussing and will be posted soon.

I too an looking into dedicated forums just for RRR. GREAT INPUT GUYS!!! This is awesome.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

On the active crew thing it does not stick when it drops. I have been playing lately with that page up showing your rank on the side screen and it auto updates every few minutes without you even touching it. Italso updates when you move the mouse after inactivity. I have noticed that it often reverts to show me as level 1 just randomly and then corrects it back to proper number later.when you swap crews or characters it pretty much defaults to 1 every time but after a couple hours it will update with correct info.

Basically that website has a lot of glitchy BS all through it lol. Like several times a day i am notified of a message that does not exist. Trying to promote or demote anyone often needs a page refresh between each action to get stuff to pop up right.

T0lly
  • T0lly

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

I agree a private forums would be good. I will help with what I can but I cannot administer or moderate at this time. I have done this in the past and just do not have time now.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Example...when i spin out and end up facing backwards I do not attempt to use the race lanes to turn myself around thus getting in other racers way. I do my u-turn burnout in the off track direction or if in up against a wall or bridge rail or something i will often throw it in reverse and pull a quick spin to face forward when a little speed is gained to be less obstructive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users