» «
Photo

Game File Mystery Hunt...

3,192 replies to this topic
talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:11 AM Edited by talkol, 29 November 2013 - 12:12 AM.

@tadd:
From my understanding the hex-blocks got copied into the file that were able to be opened. Hence the name rain and moon.

you are 100% correct sir, i'm copying 0x10000 chunks from XDR to XTD so texture viewer can open them.. so ignore the names of the files in the screenshots

i also added the texture names as requested to the post with all the images

nezia
  • nezia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

This is a great find!
So there is an alien-egg in the game :)

Now it's up to us to find it!

talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

@talkol:
What happens if you try to open all there is in the hex editor?
Won't the additional information (code, filenames, etc.) just be noise and the textures still be viewable?

i have to work in 0x10000 chunks because the 256x256 pixel textures are in these chunks in the XTD

also, if you don't align the chunk correctly then everything is gibberish

but if the junk is at the end you'll see the texture with some noise after it which is still ok

tadd
  • tadd

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/gamesmaster2014/

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:20 AM Edited by tadd, 29 November 2013 - 12:21 AM.

Do we know what an emmisive animation is? Just curious will check in the morning lol night.

talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:22 AM Edited by talkol, 29 November 2013 - 12:22 AM.

All we have to do is find a way to either convert to a new file extension or find a way to extract the files from the .cdr file. I was going around the internet just now and I found a forum post where people were using G-Texture to change GTA IV's textures and stuff. Why not try using G-Texture?

EDIT: Yes, I know it says that it's for GTA IV only, but it opens the .cdr files so it shouldn't be able to tell the difference between GTA IV's .cdr's and GTA V's .cdr's.

that's a very good idea! someone must take GTA IV tools and try to use them to open the GTA V files we can't open (like view the models)

if it's doesn't work right away, maybe we can "transform" in a hex editor back to the old format and then it will open up

lots of research in that direction

tonywehbe
  • tonywehbe

T-800

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:23 AM Edited by tonywehbe, 30 November 2013 - 10:45 PM.

hey guys i have been following this thread and the (decoding m.......) for a long time and watching you guys messing with files for a long time.

but i don't have these files and i do not have the equipment to get them, so if somebody can send it to me maybe i can get back my skills and maybe i can help in this.

prop_alien_egg_01.xdr is 250Kb

p_secret_weapon_02.xdr is 330Kb

are really interesting

but please put in mind that i can fail.
if somebody want to send me something
[email protected]

i am going to bed right now because it is 3 am tomorrow i'll check for it

talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:09 AM Edited by talkol, 30 November 2013 - 02:46 AM.

ok, started working on p_secret_weapon_02.xdr

the 1st and 2nd chunks of 0x10000 i couldnt figure out, maybe they're not textures (vertices?)

http://imgur.com/0eIiKA1

texture name: "p_crate_weapon_01"

http://imgur.com/FGlbifn

you see the same texture in 3 sizes. 128x128, 64x64, 32x32 - some kind of green crate

the 5th chunk of 0x10000 also couldn't figure out, maybe they're not textures (vertices?)

strings of texture names are:

p_secret_weapon_02
#dr
prop_chrome
_dirty_02
p_crate_weapon_01_n
P_SECRET_WEAPON_02
prop_wood_plank_05
p_crate_weapon_01

cyberwookie81
  • cyberwookie81

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

ive been following you guys for weeks. awsome work tadd. i dont know how much help im going to bein all of this but im at 100% able to test new theorys. but ive been waiting for just this topic to open. im sure your on the verge of something great. not kissing ass.but ive been here reading all 538 pages.  the game files is where we need to be looking.keep up the good work and happy hunting

cyberwookie81
  • cyberwookie81

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

http://imgur.com/a/uZKtd     have you seen this link or more importantly is this actually in the game files?  refrencing "ITS HERE"            kind of interesting though. 

talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:14 AM Edited by talkol, 29 November 2013 - 03:15 AM.

http://imgur.com/a/uZKtd     have you seen this link or more importantly is this actually in the game files?  refrencing "ITS HERE"            kind of interesting though.

What you're referring to is not actually in the game files, but in the source code for a website called chiliadmystery.com (real website not in-game).

The big question is whether this website is official by R* or just some troll. So far, there is no hard evidence that this site is by R* so the majority of people don't really believe it.

In any case, the website is showing a picture of the T1 door in the tunnel under Chiliad. This is a very interesting spot nevertheless, and to the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been located in the game files yet. This is one of our future objectives.

cyberwookie81
  • cyberwookie81

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:22 AM

great thanx alot it has been  bugging me for a couple days.   im not much use for the game files although i am  researching anything and everything.  

talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:47 AM Edited by talkol, 29 November 2013 - 03:48 AM.

i learned IT and i use to patch games and even create my own missions and levels some time. i have a long history in messing and extracting files. (i am going next year to learn game developing at the university).i even work in 3d modeling.

You know what, are right. Let's man up and open XDR/CDR files to see the model hidden inside.

We're not going to make any significant discoveries until we have the tools to open every file. There are a ton of XDR's and they're super interesting. They hold 3d models inside, and we need a way to view them.

I'm confident that if we all put in the effort together, we will get this done.

This is my plan:

1. As I posted earlier, .XDR in GTA V XBOX = .WDR in GTA IV PC. These files should be very similar. We already have the specs for WDR (see my first post in this thread).

2. There are tools available that view .WDR files since GTA IV was researched to death by awesome people. One example for such a tool: http://shadow-link.nl/?page_id=159 (there are more, google..)

3. We will try to "downgrade" GTA V XDR files into GTA IV WDR files. They both basically just contain a few textures and a list of vertices. Let's throw the textures out for now, and focus on translating the list of vertices from the new format to the old.

4. Once we know how to convert XDR/CDR->WDR, we will use the old WDR viewers to examine them.

We have to divide up into teams that focus on different tasks. Let's create a team dedicated for this one. I want to be on this team of course, who wants to join in?

For a first step, if you want to help, get us a few WDR files from GTA IV. We need them for research and unfortunately I don't have GTA IV on my computer.

xy-maps
  • xy-maps

"in a few weeks or so"

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

Is it possible to see the XYZ cords on a Dev console, or a console with CFW?

So we know there is a egg:
I dont know if R* changed the file format, but the XYZ places of models on the map are in a IPL file.
In the III Era were it IPL files and I think in GTA IV was it something like XPL.

And i can remember that in the good old San Andreas were the "Prop" places in a extra props.ipl

If this is in V the case, would this be easyer to find.
  • talkol likes this

Karoi
  • Karoi

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Is it possible to see the XYZ cords on a Dev console, or a console with CFW?

So we know there is a egg:
I dont know if R* changed the file format, but the XYZ places of models on the map are in a IPL file.
In the III Era were it IPL files and I think in GTA IV was it something like XPL.

And i can remember that in the good old San Andreas were the "Prop" places in a extra props.ipl

If this is in V the case, would this be easyer to find.

When I was browsing to the XBOX 360 GTA V files, I found a xml with the string "dev=0". I will change the 0 to a 1 and boot it on my RGH XBOX 360 with the DEVKIT region setting boot option, maybe it will load something. I highly doubt it because most of the times this goes via a PC that has been linked to the XBOX 360 via the XBOX 360 SDK Software called 'Neighbourhood' or an own internal server.

I wish I could visit the Rockstar Games Internal Wiki haha.

tonywehbe
  • tonywehbe

T-800

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

ok thank you talkol for the files i'll see what i can do

tadd
  • tadd

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

@xy... there has been work on coordinates before... we will be getting into these at some point but with the ability to view xdr/cdr files literally within our grasp i think this will be the focus for a little longer...

please by all means dig up the old coordinates info if you could... just recently i saw someone posted something about a prop map and there was a map with a lot of green dots all over (looked like every prop in the game lol)

so yeh anyone feel free to venture into which ever files they find suspicious or feel will lead to something.

@talkol... i will be working on extracting and locating as many "odd" files as i can (vulkan, SPsmall and SPmed, alien egg, secret weapon, i saw someone post about a file called hidden something or other etc... we gotta have a look at that wongs erection file as well lmao)

Then once i have a good library of odd files i will attempt to open them lol (whether they are .cdr/.xdr or not, if it seems like a fishy file i will put it in the fishy folder lol)

As i said people can feel free to attack whichever files you wish, being given a job is a pain, choosing your own job is fun and motivates you... point being i would rather people research something they want and be interested in getting the best results than to request things and them hate doing it.

Also i dont remember seeing a crate like that in game (could be wrong though lol)

Karoi
  • Karoi

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Also i dont remember seeing a crate like that in game (could be wrong though lol)

Can be the weapon that you steal in that heist where Lester takes it from you and returns it. I don't recall the colours.

talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:28 AM Edited by talkol, 29 November 2013 - 09:29 AM.

@tadd.. I want to start focusing on XDR -> WDR so we can preview the models

This means we need somebody else to start using the 0x10000 technique to start digging textures out of the interesting XDR/CDR files.

I'll be happy to assist the person taking this upon themselves and make sure they don't get stuck.

For example, I think the offset in CDR is 0x1010 and not 0x2010 from the start like in XDR. All you need to have to pursue this is a copy of game files, dageron's texture viewer, and hex workshop (hex editor). Volunteers??

tadd
  • tadd

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

Well if no one steps up, as soon as i have got all the interesting files located i will get on this and go through 1 by 1...

if you could find a way to cdr/xdr > wdr that would be great... i might give that gta 4 editor that reads cdr files a go today (just incase it works straight out the box) and just see what happens... do this inbetween extracting everything... really need to work out how takeover zancudo managed to "loop" libertyV lol

talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:36 AM Edited by talkol, 29 November 2013 - 09:42 AM.

When I was browsing to the XBOX 360 GTA V files, I found a xml with the string "dev=0". I will change the 0 to a 1 and boot it on my RGH XBOX 360 with the DEVKIT region setting boot option, maybe it will load something. I highly doubt it because most of the times this goes via a PC that has been linked to the XBOX 360 via the XBOX 360 SDK Software called 'Neighbourhood' or an own internal server.

I don't have access to a moddable console, so I can only research "offline".. But if you have access to the actual live files, you are extremely valuable to the cause.

I can think of two critical missions only someone like you can accomplish:

1. All the files I have access to are release version, without patches. Patch 1.06 is out already. If you could somehow pull the patched files from your console and diff them with the release and say where the changes were performed, this would be a game changer for us.

2. You are able to mod the f*cking game!! We can use this ability for research! Suppose we do this crazy sh*t: we find the IPL files @xy-maps talked about. They give the X,Y,Z coordinates of every in-game model. So you take one known model (that you know how to find in-game) and replace it with the alien egg, then open the game and go see what the flipping egg looks like! My mind is blown with possibility. It's kinda similar to the vehicle game save injection trick

talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

really need to work out how takeover zancudo managed to "loop" libertyV lol

I know how he did it, it's open source. He can take the code for libertyv, change it and compile.

I don't really need this ability, but if he can do this, he obviously knows his sh*t and we'll be lucky to have him helping

tadd
  • tadd

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Tried inviting him... hopefully he will come...

is there any chance i can do this or an easier way? Still havnt unpacked all the .rpf files as it was taking too long and stopped in favor of getting the interesting ones lol

talkol
  • talkol

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Tried inviting him... hopefully he will come...
is there any chance i can do this or an easier way? Still havnt unpacked all the .rpf files as it was taking too long and stopped in favor of getting the interesting ones lol

lol, stop whining and open them all one by one :) it will take you a couple of hours (from experience).. Just do a blitz on them

tadd
  • tadd

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Haha yeh im on it lol

back with you all in a little bit.

tonywehbe
  • tonywehbe

T-800

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

oh my god this file is sh*t, the only app that can recognize it is the (microsoft visual studio pro) but it can't open it like i want
it is a XML Data Reduced Schema (.xdr) it does not contain 3d model and texture it is too smal for that

tadd
  • tadd

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Some are too small and dont seem to have textures in but the bigger files do... as talkol has proved above.

tbbucks
  • tbbucks

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

http://imgur.com/gvUSuO1

Has anyone seen this yet? it's a close up of the spinning square under the -1 elevator in Fort Zancudo. Not sure if it could be helpful or not.

tonywehbe
  • tonywehbe

T-800

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:13 PM Edited by tonywehbe, 29 November 2013 - 08:13 PM.

For a first step, if you want to help, get us a few WDR files from GTA IV. We need them for research and unfortunately I don't have GTA IV on my computer.

i think tomorrow i'll get you some of these files and continue searching

• talkol likes this

rob1987
  • rob1987

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

http://imgur.com/gvUSuO1

Has anyone seen this yet? it's a close up of the spinning square under the -1 elevator in Fort Zancudo. Not sure if it could be helpful or not.

rob1987
  • rob1987

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

That looks like a piece of the ufo above zancudo

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users