Car Tires Effects (QUESTION/HELP?)

100 replies to this topic
DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

I changed the wheels on my phoenix today from import tuner to stock so so i could glitch the wheel color of the stock wheel and make it gold like the bandit snowflakes and i don't notice a difference in handling with the stock wheels back on it.

tuner wheels

0_0.jpg

stock wheels

0_0.jpg

That or muscle tires are a lot like tuner.

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

bump

Nipper
  • Nipper

Beware the 'stache

• Members
  • Bolivia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

I've said this before.

If you believe the tires make a difference to the handling, then you will "feel" a difference.

If you don't believe in it, you won't see the difference.

If you are impartial, you will also not see any difference.

Simple explanation. Placebo.

Cobra N
  • Cobra N

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

Well I tried Muscle wheels with custom tyres on one of my cars and found the rear end a lot more slidey.

Just in my head?  I'm not convinced. 

• Noobie likes this

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Well I tried Muscle wheels with custom tyres on one of my cars and found the rear end a lot more slidey.

Just in my head?  I'm not convinced. 

A few other users are saying the same thing about muscle tires.....i dont think its in your head

mikezilla2
  • mikezilla2

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

http://gtaforums.com...entry1064213484

asetofgenes
  • asetofgenes

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

Its different for each vehicle, just try until you get what you desire

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

Its different for each vehicle, just try until you get what you desire

Keeping 1 vehicle in mind what do the wheels do differently?

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

bump

Noobie
  • Noobie

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Agree with Cobra N.

Muscle tires spin in place more on full throttle resulting in slower pickup.

And at high speeds, when the back starts to slide out, it is much more drastic and difficult to correct...

I've replaced the muscle tires on the same car (all else same) and tried the same stretch at high speed, and was able to easily correct as the back started to slide out... The alternate tires gripped on correction and very little fish-tailing occurred...

Conversely, muscle tires will allow you to force your car into a sharper turning radius as the traction breaks loose, where other tires will stick more resulting in a wider radius and more E-Brake use to make the same turn at the same speed...

This phenomenon can be noticed easily on the BF Bifta which sticks quite well, and corrects well at top speed... With Muscle wheel tires, it looses much of this characteristic...

I do not believe tire tread has anything to do with it... because I've noticed a difference between [Muscle] Classic Rod, and [Lowrider] Classic Rod wheels/tires, where the Lowrider's are more sticky on the same car.

Just take one of your faster cars that stick and handle well.... drive top speed and tap left/right and see what it takes to correct (prevent spin out)... Then slap muscle wheels/tires on that same car, and do the same thing...  In my case (Bifta) it was spinning out quite alot...

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Agree with Cobra N.

And at high speeds, when the back starts to slide out, it is much more drastic and difficult to correct...

I've replaced the muscle tires on the same car (all else same) and tried the same stretch at high speed, and was able to easily correct as the back started to slide out... The alternate tires gripped on correction and very little fish-tailing occurred...

Conversely, muscle tires will allow you to force your car into a sharper turning radius as the traction breaks loose, where other tires will stick more resulting in a wider radius and more E-Brake use to make the same turn at the same speed...

This phenomenon can be noticed easily on the BF Bifta which sticks quite well, and corrects well at top speed... With Muscle wheel tires, it looses much of this characteristic...

I do not believe tire tread has anything to do with it... because I've noticed a difference between [Muscle] Classic Rod, and [Lowrider] Classic Rod wheels/tires, where the Lowrider's are more sticky on the same car.

Just take one of your faster cars that stick and handle well.... drive top speed and tap left/right and see what it takes to correct (prevent spin out)... Then slap muscle wheels/tires on that same car, and do the same thing...  In my case (Bifta) it was spinning out quite alot...

So what seems to be the better tire type?

OMFGSolaX
  • OMFGSolaX

Cheese! :D

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Agree with Cobra N.

So what seems to be the better tire type?

If that's true, the better tire  type would be the one you want.

Faster Spinout = less traction, slower acceleration but narrow turns possible, aswell as corrections during the turn etc

if you stick to the street, you won't have much room for correction or you will loose more Speed, than the one who "spins out", but your traction and acceleration on straight streets will be better.

etc etc.

Noobie
  • Noobie

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think the reason the difference is so hard to detect is most of the time we are changing the wheels on the same car, and trying to remember how it handled before...

I took two Futo's and garaged them. Gave one a set of LowRider Classic Rod wheels, and left everything else the same. I then took turns driving around the block from my garage, basically the same route several times... As we all know the Futo is quite the slippery car that tends to drift more than most other cars...

I'll just say, that the LowRider wheels reduced that drift characteristic...

The phenomenon that I notice most, is when driving the futo under full throttle, and turning one direction then the other quickly.... The stock one will spin out with little to no hope of the tires gripping when you counter steer much like its on ice... The alternate wheels tested in this case (LowRider Classic Rod) did recover better and stick while doing the same manuever.

I think another car that would be good candidate for testing would be the (free) Elegy. It sticks very well in stock form, so side by side comparison using Muscle wheels/tires should reveal detrimental differences in handling.

Might have to head over the Airport to do some more speed tests....

Torbey
  • Torbey

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

OK, now I can't say anything conclusive but I read this somewhere

Off Road....bad on roads great in fields
Tuner....average road hugging..bad off road
High End....great road grip...terrible off road
Muscle...bad grip...meant for drifting
Sport....average all around.

I can say my RH8 had terrible control. Fish tailing like crazy and no fun to drive. I read that info...took it to LSC and was surprised to see it had Muscle tires. Threw Sports tires on it and found control greatly improved. Maybe my imagination but I really think there is a difference and I for one will follow it.
Just my 2¢

Placebo..

Also RH8 has more control then pretty much every other super or sports car out there.

Jyra
  • Jyra

Radical Larry

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

I put Tuner on my Sultan... sh*t was sliding all over the god damn map.

Put some High End type on it... seems very stiff.  Totally different from Tuner... sh*t wasn't sliding but I couldn't turn as good.

Put Sports on and it's a happy medium.

SUV tires on the Exmplar went away for Sports... difference wasn't noticeable like the Sultan

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:23 AM Edited by DerpCat, 10 December 2013 - 06:23 AM.

I put Tuner on my Sultan... sh*t was sliding all over the god damn map.

Put some High End type on it... seems very stiff.  Totally different from Tuner... sh*t wasn't sliding but I couldn't turn as good.

Put Sports on and it's a happy medium.

SUV tires on the Exmplar went away for Sports... difference wasn't noticeable like the Sultan

Now if only we could nail on some chart of the full effects of each tire type.

Cobra N
  • Cobra N

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

I did try and arrange an online session, 7 people in the same car, each type of tyre.  Head to the airport and do some drag / brake testing, then try each car at full throttle on a hard turn and see what happens.

No takers then, maybe someone else can have more success and see what tyre does what.

I was also thinking that maybe SUV tyres grip better in the wet.  Not sure why, just a hunch.

But for certain there is a difference between muscle and other tyre types, so I DO think there are some differences, even if only slight.

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

bump

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

bump..

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:42 AM

bump...

Kaber
  • Kaber

The Devil

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:19 AM

Knock off all that bumping.  Some people are trying to sleep!

• Mart1001 likes this

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

bump. any more info?

dannybohy
  • dannybohy

Queens of the Damned Crew Founder

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

Why is this still being bumped guys. Tyres have NO effect other than cosmetic. /Thread 

oh and Santa doesn't exist. 

• DangerZone77 likes this

GTASuspectOnFoot
  • GTASuspectOnFoot

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Isn't there some way to find this out by looking at the coding?

People habe figured out the top speed / acceleration stats...why not the tire stats?

GTAVFan2014
  • GTAVFan2014

Content Creator

• Members

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Car tires do nothing. Anyone who says otherwise is just lying, or under the placebo effect. Put High End tires on your Rebel, it'll still climb mountains. 

Custom tires don't do anything special either. 

Reminds me of tires in SA:

Then explain this video I found...

It shows off road tires help a little bit....

Newb didn't calculate a p value or confidence interval:(

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:59 PM Edited by DerpCat, 20 December 2013 - 02:59 PM.

Why is this still being bumped guys. Tyres have NO effect other than cosmetic. /Thread 

oh and Santa doesn't exist. 

Try reading the other comments, there is proof of tire types effect things.

Isn't there some way to find this out by looking at the coding?

People habe figured out the top speed / acceleration stats...why not the tire stats?

I'm guessing its harder to do this for console games vs pc games. I wish someone would though..

xInitial D
  • xInitial D

Turbocharged

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:54 AM Edited by xInitial D, 26 December 2013 - 09:31 AM.

These are my thoughts on High ends and Sports tires from racing and driving with them.

High end tires: comes on cars like the Infernus, high end provides the most grip and acceleration, so you can hook up faster and you have can make quicker more reckless inputs, except you will get a bit of understeer with the lack of slide, on tighter turns...... And if you happen to spin out on high end tires, then it will be harder to counter and recover your car, becuase you have less time, and remember high end tires are grippy, so when your car is sideways, you cant apply power and counter steer to whip the rear end, becuase the grip will prevent that.

For example high end tires on the Comet give you more grip, better acceleration and more responsivess and since the Comet is rear engine with great turn in... so you dont get bad understeer. Overall they work great, however use caution in the rain. On a Cheetah, these just provide lots of grip, just gotta watch the understeer.

Sports tires: are in the middle of high end and and tuner. I test these on Comet and Cheetah(which comes with them stock)... They have a lil bit of wheel spin at low speed, but this is good if you want to power slide, it is very easy to peform controlled slides with these tires.

On the Comet, you can create trottle lift oversteer when you to enter a turn at high speed, lift off throttle and go into oversteer for a better exit angle, counter steer and  reapply trottle rapidly, straighten up and regain grip and exit the turn at high speed.This also works on the Cheetah, generally all mid/rear engine cars behave this way.

However the Cheetah, is made for grip, and works best with High End Tires. Front engine cars like the Feltzer, have a smaller window to recover from oversteer, and the lack of weight in the rear, makes it tougher to apply throttle and regain traction to power out of the turn, but sport tires are generally the same regardless of layout. Sport tires also work well on muscle cars, expecially the Ruiner with a GT Wing.

If you car happens to oversteer, Sport tires allows for quicker and better countering and recovery. The power seems to get to the road quicker and easier. These are better in the rain, becuase of the good recovery. At high speeds there is lots of grip, and you can still slide with minimal effort if you find the need to.

• DerpCat likes this

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Heres a question, if high end tires have a better grip to the road.....would that be good on low rider cars that tend to slide a bit? I put some on a few cars of mine, and they seem to drive better from what I am seeing.

xInitial D
  • xInitial D

Turbocharged

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

Heres a question, if high end tires have a better grip to the road.....would that be good on low rider cars that tend to slide a bit? I put some on a few cars of mine, and they seem to drive better from what I am seeing.

Yeah, I would think it would help a low rider car and it would slide less. High end even helps heavy SUV's like the Serrano to grip more. However, it it may increase understeer drastically in cars with high downforce.

I was experimenting with the Cheetah and found that there is a such thing as too much grip.

I used GT Wing and High End Tires on the Cheetah, the various Spoilers on cars DO create downforce, and in turn give more grip. When used with High End Tires though, the downforce and grip of the tires and causes the car to feel heavy and sluggish understeers alot, despite having a more planted feel! So High End tires and GT wing did not feel or work very well.  Sport tires and a Wing work awesome with, grip, sliding and the quick recovery.

For lowriders, Muscle, SUVs and cars that have no options for aero mods, High End tires are a great way to provide grip and stability to cars with the lack of downforce but only by a little dending on the car, I tried a Futo with High End tires and GT Wing.. it helped but didnt help much with the lack of weight in the rear(being a drift car) , possibly will get better as I upgrade the Suspension. As stated earlier oversteering/ drifttng /powersliding on high end tires is harder to counter.

So anyone who races an Adder, Entity or Cheetah or any other sports car on Lowrider white walls, they should take those off ASAP becuase they lower peformance. This is not Forza but, Rockstar put many little things that effect the vehicle handling alot.

DerpCat
  • DerpCat

Cat

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, I would think it would help a low rider car and it would slide less. High end even helps heavy SUV's like the Serrano to grip more. However, it it may increase understeer drastically in cars with high downforce.

I was experimenting with the Cheetah and found that there is a such thing as too much grip.

I used GT Wing and High End Tires on the Cheetah, the various Spoilers on cars DO create downforce, and in turn give more grip. When used with High End Tires though, the downforce and grip of the tires and causes the car to feel heavy and sluggish understeers alot, despite having a more planted feel! So High End tires and GT wing did not feel or work very well.  Sport tires and a Wing work awesome with, grip, sliding and the quick recovery.

For lowriders, Muscle, SUVs and cars that have no options for aero mods, High End tires are a great way to provide grip and stability to cars with the lack of downforce but only by a little dending on the car, I tried a Futo with High End tires and GT Wing.. it helped but didnt help much with the lack of weight in the rear(being a drift car) , possibly will get better as I upgrade the Suspension. As stated earlier oversteering/ drifttng /powersliding on high end tires is harder to counter.

So anyone who races an Adder, Entity or Cheetah or any other sports car on Lowrider white walls, they should take those off ASAP becuase they lower peformance. This is not Forza but, Rockstar put many little things that effect the vehicle handling alot.

I think you are mistaken on the "down drift" thing due to spoilers. I have tested 2 cars that where the same but one had a huge spoiler other did not, they where neck in neck no change.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users