Photo

IV has always been more of a loyal dog than V

47 replies to this topic
cggc93
  • cggc93

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:16 AM

Looking at all these posts of people actually admitting that IV felt more 'complete' than V in a lot of ways, makes me feel thankful I never got to buy V. Grand Thef Auto IV has always been that perfect game everyone was expecting V to be. That's just my opinion.

What do you think?

• Neonic9 likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:42 AM

I would strongly urge you to buy GTA V or at least try it at a friend's house or something. In a lot of ways it's a great game, but it's not the "most ambitious game R* have ever made" like they hyped it to be.

Some people think because it has a big map and more features that it means it fixed all of the issues from GTA IV. The end result is anything, but that. It even excludes simple gameplay mechanics from GTA IV like turning engines on/off, rolling with a gun, crouching, pushing peds etc.

The story is subjective, but it's far from being R*'s finest IMO.

I would definitely recommend GTA V to anyone who hasn't tried it, but if there were things in GTA IV you really enjoyed chances are you'll being disappointed with GTA V as it carries little over from GTA IV.

• theGTAking101 and Scaglietti like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

Try V out, but like the above post, if you really liked certain features from IV, prepare for some disappointments. I loved V at first but during my 8 week straight play-through I just slowly got more and more disappointed.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

Take a break from it SRX like I did. You'll begin to appreciate more aspects, but I still feel GTA IV is a better game.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

Take a break from it SRX like I did. You'll begin to appreciate more aspects, but I still feel GTA IV is a better game.

Yeah I actually am playing IV instead and haven't touched V in 2 days. Loving IV but I do miss a few things from V. Currently don't feel like going back yet.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:45 AM Edited by Nameless Foot Soldier, 28 November 2013 - 03:21 AM.

I feel like Rockstar got so ambitious on GTA V that they forget some key aspects that made GTA IV so special. I also think that GTA IV is the child and game Rockstar wanted to make. As in, Rockstar didn't make the game everyone wanted, but a game they wanted. A game where they put their heart into the development, they made a game they were proud of. Not what the industry wanted, not what the mainstream wanted, but what they wanted. An artistic approach to their idea and their views on a fantastic game. Whilst GTA V is trying to please everyone, it forgets what it wants to be. It's trying to cater to everyone instead of being proud and unique of itself. But it's defiantly not a bad game. It doesn't deserve all the hate it's getting. Just like how GTA IV gets a lot of blind and simple hate. They're both really great games. But as Liberty said, GTA IV is my preferred choice.

• gunziness, theGTAking101 and ReekyAlex like this

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

john wayne woz a nazi

• Members
  • England

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:06 AM Edited by chainsoar, 27 November 2013 - 08:06 AM.

I would strongly urge you to buy GTA V or at least try it at a friend's house or something. In a lot of ways it's a great game, but it's not the "most ambitious game R* have ever made" like they hyped it to be.

Some people think because it has a big map and more features that it means it fixed all of the issues from GTA IV. The end result is anything, but that. It even excludes simple gameplay mechanics from GTA IV like turning engines on/off, rolling with a gun, crouching, pushing peds etc.

I would definitely recommend GTA V to anyone who hasn't tried it, but if there were things in GTA IV you really enjoyed chances are you'll being disappointed with GTA V as it carries little over from GTA IV.

All but one of those things are in GTA V, are you sure you didn't play something else by mistake?

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Well no matter what, I'm still gonna get V and I know it will be an awesome game. Even if it turns out that it's not as good as IV (which will be a first in the series for me because so far every GTA is better than its predecessor imo), I know it will still be GTA and I know it will still be great.

I'm still as hyped as ever for V and the fact that it's probably still a few months before it gets released for PC just depresses me lol...

OP: it would be stupid not to at least give V a try. I've been playing GTA since 1997 and I've never been disappointed by any of the games in the series. V will be no different, even though some of the stuff that made IV so great are gone...

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

All but one of those things are in GTA V, are you sure you didn't play something else by mistake?
You haven't said what though?

Nameless Foot Soldier: That's how I feel too. I believe GTA IV is the GTA R* wanted to make.

GTA V feels like it was made out of obligation than true heart and soul like GTA IV IMO.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Meanwhile, back in 2008...

"SA has always been more of a loyal dog than IV"

"Looking at all these posts of people actually admitting that SA felt more 'complete' than IV in a lot of ways, makes me feel thankful I never got to buy IV. Grand Theft Auto SA has always been that perfect game everyone was expecting IV to be. That's just my opinion.

What do you think?"

Now, in 2018:

"V has always been more of a loyal dog than VI"

"Looking at all these posts of people actually admitting that V felt more 'complete' than VI in a lot of ways, makes me feel thankful I never got to buy VI. Grand Theft Auto V has always been that perfect game everyone was expecting IV to be. That's just my opinion.

What do you think?"

• golf wang likes this

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

I look at it like this, IV is a Quentin Tarantino movie and GTA V is a Michael Bay movie. How you ask? Simple:

IV, like Tarantino movies, is made the way the creators want to make it, regardless of whether or not people will like it. And V, like Michael Bay movies, are made to appeal simply to the masses who desire nothing but "BOOM, BOOM, EXPLOSION EXPLOSION".
And which one always rubs off as an actual piece of art? The one where the creator listens to their mind, not everybody else.

In the end if Rockstar decided for the next game, "Ok, we're going to ditch the plans, paracthutes, countryside and not have every second mission over the top", and made game in a large urban jungle, whith hundreds of interiors, a living city where you could only drive land-based vehicles; I would be fine, because Rockstar knows how to make any open world game world.
  • Algonquin Assassin, namor, Killerdude and 5 others like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

I suggest you PLAY V again.

@Tilemaxx, here is the thing though. I doubt ANY of us in this thread have said SA was better than IV. I know SonOfLiberty never did, I never did. I hate it when people use that flawed logic that you do. Its like how woggleman thinks everybody who is bitching about V has bitched about IV in the past, that simply isn't 100% true, not even close.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, i didn't speak about people in this thread. I'm speaking of what was the trend back in 2008 here, and possibly during the release of the next GTA.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

I suggest you PLAY V again.

@Tilemaxx, here is the thing though. I doubt ANY of us in this thread have said SA was better than IV. I know SonOfLiberty never did, I never did. I hate it when people use that flawed logic that you do. Its like how woggleman thinks everybody who is bitching about V has bitched about IV in the past, that simply isn't 100% true, not even close.

Definitely. SA was a piece of crap back then and it's still a piece of crap now. :pp

• Budweiser Addict and Scaglietti like this

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

john wayne woz a nazi

• Members
  • England

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Nameless Foot Soldier: That's how I feel too. I believe GTA IV is the GTA R* wanted to make.

GTA V feels like it was made out of obligation than true heart and soul like GTA IV IMO.

Crouching is the only thing from that list that isn't in GTA V. Your character doesn't turn on the engine of a car you own when you climb in until you hit accelerate or reverse and he switches it off when you climb out, you can combat roll while aiming a gun and if you run into a pedestrian they stumble and sometimes, fall over.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

I feel like Rockstar got so ambitious on GTA V that they forget some key aspects that made GTA IV so special. I also think that GTA IV is the child and game Rockstar wanted to make. As in, Rockstar didn't make the game everyone wanted, but a game they wanted. A game where they put their heart into the development, they made a game they were proud of. Not what the industry wanted, not what the mainstream wanted, but what they wanted. An artistic approach to their idea and their views on a fantastic game. Whilst GTA V is trying to please everyone, it forgets what it wants to be. It's trying to cater to everyone instead of being proud and unique of itself. But it's defiantly not a bad game. It doesn't deserve all the hate it's getting. Just like how GTA IV gets a lot of blind and simple hate. They're both really great games. But as Liberty said, GTA IV is my preferred choice.

wow man thats exactly what I was thinking I agree with you 100% bro

GTA IV will always be the best GTA ( unless they return to doing what they want and not what the mainstream wants)

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

Crouching is the only thing from that list that isn't in GTA V. Your character doesn't turn on the engine of a car you own when you climb in until you hit accelerate or reverse and he switches it off when you climb out, you can combat roll while aiming a gun and if you run into a pedestrian they stumble and sometimes, fall over.

Yeah, but in GTA IV there was a button to turn the engine on/off whenever you wanted to. Made quick getaways less of a hassle. I haven't noticed rolling so I apologise for a false claim.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

Crouching is the only thing from that list that isn't in GTA V.

False. There was a button in IV to actually shove peds, giving you the ability to shove them without much effort and the person shoved would fall or stumble. Additionally, rolling out of your car while it is driving will keep it on, but that is a hassle. It would've been better to keep it the way it was in IV: hold for engine off, push for simply just getting out of the car -- seriously why was this changed? That was an absurd change.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Who cares about shoving peds? The only interesting mechanic that was removed is the ability to grab ledges.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Yes because walking into them like they're a brick wall is so much better.

Honestly GTA V's physics in general don't even feel like Euphoria. They're like Saints Row on crack.

IMO it's sad that it actually removes elements of core gameplay from its 5 year old predecessor. Sad indeed.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

Euphoria is still in GTA V it only feels like Saints Row because of cars

IGhostUlt
  • IGhostUlt

LSLKS

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Yeah euphoria doesn't even feel present in gta v. It's so undynamic and less fun to play with compared to gta iv

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • Contribution Award [Chain Game]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

Honestly GTA V's physics in general don't even feel like Euphoria. They're like Saints Row on crack.

IMO it's sad that it actually removes elements of core gameplay from its 5 year old predecessor. Sad indeed.

Dude, I'm not bashing you, but from all the posts you made in this topic, I didn't even look at your profile and I can already tell that you're a IV fanboy. I have no problem with that, but looking at your posts, you seem to hate the little details that were included in IV but not in V. I'm gonna say it again; I am not going to bash you. You stick to what you like, in this case IV, and while in some cases I agree with you, from my perspective, GTA V is a more advanced, and better made game than GTA IV. And I find it amusing that people complain about shoving peds when you can do hundreds of better things. And, y'know, I'd rather hit a guy in the face, like in V, rather than throwing them around like in IV. But before you start going apesh*t on me, this is entirely MY OPINION.

IGhostUlt
  • IGhostUlt

LSLKS

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Dude, I'm not bashing you, but from all the posts you made in this topic, I didn't even look at your profile and I can already tell that you're a IV fanboy. I have no problem with that, but looking at your posts, you seem to hate the little details that were included in IV but not in V. I'm gonna say it again; I am not going to bash you. You stick to what you like, in this case IV, and while in some cases I agree with you, from my perspective, GTA V is a more advanced, and better made game than GTA IV. And I find it amusing that people complain about shoving peds when you can do hundreds of better things. And, y'know, I'd rather hit a guy in the face, like in V, rather than throwing them around like in IV. But before you start going apesh*t on me, this is entirely MY OPINION.

Why not just have both? why is it ok to remove something just to add something else and not just both? You COULD punch OR shove in GTA IV, and in GTA V you can ONLY punch. Explain to me how that makes any sense? People have their preferences dude.

Giles Flaggot 1
  • Giles Flaggot 1

Giles Flaggot 1

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

To be truly honest I loved IV, I really did, some things annoyed me about it but still had IV right at the top of the open world.

I finished V and loved it too, went back to see what IV felt like and honestly, I couldn't play more than 5 minutes :(

With all respect to R* and all that love IV, GTA V destroys IV imo, in every way, and I know its been half a decade between them but IV and V are on completely different levels.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:01 AM Edited by StingrayX, 03 December 2013 - 12:03 AM.

That is right, it is your opinion. Some people like the little details more than the big picture. I like to shove peds rather than punching them sometimes. I don't give a f*ck if V has more content and supposedly more things to do, although I've still found myself bored, what I give a damn about is what I like and what I want to do and V just cut some of what I liked to do from IV.

@above: Well I was able to go back to IV and loved it. I don't care about graphics, I love it for what I thought it was good at. I like V for what I think it is good at too, but that makes me love IV more because it just satisfies me more. I don't care if I can fly, play golf, buy cars, et cetera.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:13 AM

It's more so the principle of leaving out minor details that annoys me.

Something else I forgot to mention is with GTA IV you could pick up random things and throw them.

This party exists in GTA V being to throw a ball to Chop, but it's non-existent outside of that. Why? I'd love to throw random things at rednecks and pompous rich assholes.

IMO R* got lazy with GTA V's core mechanics. It's all well and good to have a bigger map with more features, but don't forget the minor mechanics that tie in everything together. Taxis don't even have an interior view like they did in GTA IV. I was lenient with GTA V the first few weeks, but now the hype dust has settled all its flaws have crept in.

The problem with GTA V to me is R* tried too hard to cater to those that didn't like GTA IV, but neglected all of those little things that made GTA IV such an immersive game. I'm sorry, but I just don't see any legitimate reason why any of this couldn't have been included.

People expected GTA IV to be like SA content wise and more so I'm sure GTA V being more "advanced" could handle it right?

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Btw Son, nice avatar! I almost forgot how cool this particular jacket was on Niko. Probably the only one with an "elegant" look, all other ones were kinda cheap and dirty. This reminds me the poor clothing choices in IV, which was a shame. At least they offered some cool outfits with TBOGT.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Personally I've always liked those black and brown jackets from Modo.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

Btw Son, nice avatar! I almost forgot how cool this particular jacket was on Niko. Probably the only one with an "elegant" look, all other ones were kinda cheap and dirty. This reminds me the poor clothing choices in IV, which was a shame. At least they offered some cool outfits with TBOGT.

I'd say that even though there wasn't a lot of choice I never felt that there was nothing I'd really like to wear. There were 9 outfits I really liked and their variantions (trousers and footwear).

Back on topic I agree on whoever it was that said that GTA IV felt like the game R* wanted to make. I'd add to that but couldn't really finish it. If they had the time to add some more customisation in there and a bit more depth to some interaction (like how gangs respond to you in V) then the game would've been exactly how they wanted it to be. I hate to sound like a (proto) hipster but V doesn't really offer anything because it is just too mainstream. It has no soul.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users