Photo

Severe problems with FPS in GTA 4... Only getting 20FPS on an Intel i7

11 replies to this topic
RobGTAIV
  • RobGTAIV

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:10 AM Edited by RobGTAIV, 26 November 2013 - 11:41 AM.

Hi,

I have an Acer V3-571G laptop which i sometimes use to play GTA 4 on. It has a quad core Intel i7-3610QM processor, 8GB of RAM and an Nvidia GeForce GT 640M. The laptop is on Windows 8.

My game is set to medium settings all round, with V-Sync off and anti-aliasing on the absolute minimal option.

I use the dedicated Nvidia GeForce 640M graphics card to run GTA with, not the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics.

Despite having such a high-spec system, i cannot get GTA to run at any more than 15-35FPS. 

Temperature is about 65-85 during gameplay. Usually i can get it up to 100 degrees Celsius if i play a more demanding game on this laptop.

I've got loads of car mods installed, and some map mods too, but i don't think these actually make any difference because i tried GTA without them and the framerates were the same. The map mods i've got are Clockwork Mount, Top Gear test track and the World Trade Center. I don't even want the two latter ones, but when i remove them from my game, the framerate gets even worse, weirdly...

I don't understand it... I've seen much worser computers than mine, getting way better FPS in this game.

Someone help, please!

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

I've got loads of car mods installed, and some map mods too

There's your problem, as mods increase the resource usage of your system, and since you are on a laptop (which laptops are lower power processor and video card wise as compared to there desktop counter parts). I learned this back with my old laptop with III and VC. So, play the un-moddded  game, and you should have no problems running the game at a little higher fps. Just a heads up.:)

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:54 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 08 December 2013 - 09:55 PM.

laptop

I've got loads of car mods installed, and some map mods too

There are your problems. IV was complete sh*t on PC, horrid port. I can max out MP3 with everything except antialiasing but I can barely run IV on mid-high maintaining a steady 50-60 fps. Couple that with laptops not being built for gaming, especially resource-heavy gaming (pro tip: same specs on laptop as desktop doe not equate to same performance), and mods that can have unpredictable spikes in performance, and there are your problems. I'd suggest lowering the settings a little more and disabling the mods. I'm not sure about the mod scene in IV, but most Bethesda games have mods that fix a lot of problems in the game, "unofficial patch", you could look for a IV counterpart and it might help out your performance, just make sure to not download anything from a sleezy-looking site.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

Later, losers.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

GTA IV is mainly heavy on the GPU, unlike other games that may use more processor than GPU.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

don't know what the GT 540 M is but it's very likely your problem . GTA is a great game but as it's very detailled (after years of playing i still keep discovering things) it's very ressource demanding . i don't think car mods are the problems the worst thing that can happen with (bad) car mods it's a texturing disappearing bug or a CTD but they don't impact the FPS . did you patch to latest patch . and be careful with your temps on a laptop man , don't burn your stuff out . GTA IV is definitly not recommended with laptops . good news it's that you have a powerful CPU and this is good thing for that kind of detailled game

Kokuei
  • Kokuei

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

GTA IV is mainly heavy on the GPU, unlike other games that may use more processor than GPU.

Lol. No. GTA IV is more CPU dependent.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

It is, but if you up your settings enough, it will get dumped onto the GPU. I think PeteyMax just phrased is oddly.

philbeau
  • philbeau

GTA

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

I have an Intel i7 2600, and a GTX 680 and I hardly keep the framerate stable at 45fps, dipping below 30 fps at time, been wondering at the time of the release what were they testing the game on.

Oddly, before this build,  i had a Quadro FX 3800  in a workstation with xeon processor (8 cores, 2,73ghz) and the framerate was better.

LOUD*NOISES
  • LOUD*NOISES

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:17 AM

this will help with the framerates and it makes the game look alot better http://www.gta4-mods...5-hotfix-f24281 ... it reduces the sizes of the bushes and trees in the game making it less memory taxing to load,, it also stops texture popins i have to use medium textures because i dont have enough video memory for my car mods and high textures..

Tip: adding cars is better than replacing them here's a tutorial on how http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EDJBFAlROmA

or this http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=420911

i hope this helps.. :lol:

lol232
  • lol232

We happy?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

Mods are the main problem. Uninstall them.
Also, try disabling the Windows Log Event.

Andreas
  • Andreas

Leone Family Mafia

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:47 AM Edited by Andreas, 25 December 2013 - 11:49 AM.

I have an Intel i7 2600, and a GTX 680 and I hardly keep the framerate stable at 45fps, dipping below 30 fps at time, been wondering at the time of the release what were they testing the game on.
Oddly, before this build,  i had a Quadro FX 3800  in a workstation with xeon processor (8 cores, 2,73ghz) and the framerate was better.

My PC has an i5 4670k, 8GB of RAM and a GTX460, and I get almost 65FPS at average in the benchmark of the main game. It's smooth most of the time, but the framerate drops to less than 30FPS at times. However, that's an issue without any solution. I saw a video of a guy having three HD7970 in his system, and the framerate was often beyond 200FPS, but it dropped to 12FPS every few seconds or so. The game is, as a matter of fact, terribly optimized and there isn't really anything to get rid of the performance issues. Not even turning the settings down helps, your system will be nonetheless overwhelmed after some time.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

@ original poster, how did you try the game without modifications?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users