So I finally played IV again today...

38 replies to this topic
Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

... after 8 weeks of mostly playing V and... I have to say that I can't really stand V after playing IV again. The driving was a wow as soon as I hopped into my parked blue and white Banshee hard top, and the graphics didn't bug me at all as there was still detail everywhere.

The small things like conversations, the less annoying AI, the ability to leave the engine on, pick items up, shove people, it all just felt nice to be back in my face. And everything felt natural. The driving felt natural, the cops felt natural -- as opposed to the rubberbanding, somewhat scripted-feeling and way too aggressive cops in V. I admit, the way Niko moves looks a bit meh and the framerate was a little noticeable; the spawning of AI had some rough edges as well, and the way the camera was angled/moved pissed me off, but other than that I had no problems.

I thoroughly enjoyed driving. When I hopped into an all blacked out, turbocharged Willard Faction, it felt like I had more fun driving it than I had driving anything in V. And then I found a Korean Presidente and fell in love after I painted it grey with black rims. The cars actually feel like cars and they feel special. Cruising, speeding, crashing -- definitely crashing -- pissing people off, it all felt good. In V, none of that felt good, at least to me.

The east coast vibe was screaming in my face and I loved it after spending 8 weeks in superficial, very vibrant Los Santos. The townhomes, the old architecture, the numerous skyscrapers, the people, it all felt much better. Even if it looked old, it felt better. I personally love the serious and sometimes cold atmosphere.

So that's how I feel after playing IV for the first time after release. :) Haha, I don't think I want to play V for a while. I'm going to try out multiplayer on TBoGT, freemode most likely, soon. Of course it is less organized than GTA Online, but it allows for freedom, and hell I've gained a lot of my Live and PSN friends with IV MP. None with the pricks on GTA Online who want to kill kill kill.

How do some of you all feel after playing IV after V?

• kvic, UltraGizmo64, QuietJosh and 2 others like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

I actually started a new playthrough of GTA IV a while ago and I really enjoyed it

I like GTA IV + Episodes much more than V for many reasons but both are good games

• Zello likes this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

I can't even play IV now because somehow my Xbox f*cked up the disc while it was still inside playing. :/
It was a used copy, so maybe that's why.

I'll probably pick up the complete edition around Christmas time. While I thoroughly enjoyed V, I've been itching to play IV and the episodes again ever since I completed it.

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

I did a playthrough of IV right after finishing V.  I still think the story telling, world building, interaction, etc etc etc is so much better in IV.  I really hope the next GTA takes the best elements of both of these games, because they both have really strong points.

Playing IV you never feel that anything is missing.  Everything in the game is so well considered and developed, they all fit the environment and the characters so well.  It feels so whole and consistent.  V doesn't feel like that at all.  Playing V, you feel like, well where are the restaurants that have been there since Vice?  Where are the food stands and trucks?  Where are all the classic vehicles?  What happened to all the motorcycles and boats and helicopters?  Why are there so few characters and where is all the internet functionality from IV?  News sites?  Police database?  You just see all these holes in it and it's very hard to enjoy it as a whole, regardless of how incredible it is in its own ways.

• UltraGizmo64, Sting4S, QuietJosh and 2 others like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

I did a playthrough of IV right after finishing V.  I still think the story telling, world building, interaction, etc etc etc is so much better in IV.  I really hope the next GTA takes the best elements of both of these games, because they both have really strong points.

Playing IV you never feel that anything is missing.  Everything in the game is so well considered and developed, they all fit the environment and the characters so well.  It feels so whole and consistent.  V doesn't feel like that at all.  Playing V, you feel like, well where are the restaurants that have been there since Vice?  Where are the food stands and trucks?  Where are all the classic vehicles?  What happened to all the motorcycles and boats and helicopters?  Why are there so few characters and where is all the internet functionality from IV?  News sites?  Police database?  You just see all these holes in it and it's very hard to enjoy it as a whole, regardless of how incredible it is in its own ways.

Exactly how I felt. Apart from the driving, my biggest problem was that the game did not feel complete. It felt, a bit off. Why was so much axed?

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:00 AM

For me it's not even totally about the fact that I can't play pool, or buy food, or leave the car running.  I also get annoyed by how much content is in Online by not V.  Why can't we play all the races from Online in story mode?  There are a pathetic number of races in story mode, especially sea races of which there are only four, all on jet skis.  And only one motorcycle race.

I think a big big part of the problem is that they failed to balance content well between three characters as well as Online. 

• Sting4S and QuietJosh like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:17 AM

I was playing GTA IV a couple of weeks after I got GTA V when I was still in the thick of playing GTA V and I had no real issue going back. I couldn't bear SA for more than 10 minutes when GTA IV was new.

Aside from Niko's movements which aren't quite as smooth everything else is fine. I don't even think about things like map size or more features in GTA V as quite frankly I enjoy GTA IV's side missions more than GTA V's.

Driving in GTA IV is also 10x more fun too.

• Sting4S, QuietJosh and Zello like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:55 AM Edited by StingrayX, 26 November 2013 - 03:55 AM.

I was playing GTA IV a couple of weeks after I got GTA V when I was still in the thick of playing GTA V and I had no real issue going back. I couldn't bear SA for more than 10 minutes when GTA IV was new.

Aside from Niko's movements which aren't quite as smooth everything else is fine. I don't even think about things like map size or more features in GTA V as quite frankly I enjoy GTA IV's side missions more than GTA V's.

Driving in GTA IV is also 10x more fun too.

Agreed. Hell the difference in map size didn't even come to mind for me either. Liberty City strangely feels bigger than the Los Santos metro. And yeah the driving is a blast. XD I did a burnout in a Korean Presidente and had fun speeding around. In V, every time you took off very fast in a car, there would be wheel-spin and it annoyed the crud out of me, the bad smoke detail was bad enough. In IV, I only get wheel-spin on the appropriate vehicles and even then it feels fun as opposed to the rather stiff feeling in V.

• Zello likes this

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

That's really obnoxious.  Having to start the car every time you enter, plus having the wheels spin before you start moving.  Gotten me killed too many times.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

As frustrating as IV was I haven't touched it since finally beating it a while back and I don't plan on touching it ever again.

The driving in V was a hundred times easier than IV.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

I still haven't played V yet because I'm waiting for the awesome pc version.

BUT, I have played San Andreas again recently, so I'll just talk about that lol. :)

I couldn't believe how different it felt to be back in San Andreas. I was standing in the middle of the street and there was no traffic. I had to run around to try and find a vehicle. In IV (in the pc version at least) my traffic density slider was set to max, so there were always "hundreds" of vehicles around me... Always.

I was so used to the awesomeness of IV that I tried to push a ped down the subway stairs, but I quickly realized that Euphoria did not exist back then hahaha. So there was also no ragdollish physics when I ran over people with my car...

The whole map also felt so dead and lifeless, and then you get people who complain about how dead and lifeless Liberty City is in IV, which I could never understand because LC was anything but lifeless.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed SA, it is still a great game, but it just felt so different and inferior compared to IV.

It just amazes me how much of an improvement IV was over previous games in the series. Literally everything is just better and IV is by far the best GTA ever.

Now, would you guys over at R* be so kind and release GTA V for pc please? Can't wait to see how great it is on pc. I just hope it's not a direct port, that would suck...
  • UltraGizmo64 likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:19 AM Edited by StingrayX, 26 November 2013 - 06:22 AM.

And that is the problem for me. Personally, it feels dumbed down, numb, personality-less, boring, and it doesn't challenge you. I loved the unpredictability of IV's physics, but in V the same thing happens all of the the time. The chases feel boring, the cars handle repetitively and feel all alike besides speed. It got old, I guess I'm prefer a challenge.

@Above: Fair warning, V removed the fighting system from IV. You no longer have buttons for different types of his -- in IV triangle was for kicking, square was for left punching, and circle was for right punching. In V, all you do is press O, you don't even need to press the trigger, and your character does everything. It kind of sucks. No shoving, no control over how my character fights. :(

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

As frustrating as IV was I haven't touched it since finally beating it a while back and I don't plan on touching it ever again.

Which is why most of us who enjoyed GTA IV's driving consider it to be a step backwards.

It appeals to the arcade racer crowd. I like my driving to not hold my hand thank you.
  • Ixnay likes this

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

@Above: Fair warning, V removed the fighting system from IV. You no longer have buttons for different types of his -- in IV triangle was for kicking, square was for left punching, and circle was for right punching. In V, all you do is press O, you don't even need to press the trigger, and your character does everything. It kind of sucks. No shoving, no control over how my character fights. :(

That won't really bother me that much I think. Yeah I would prefer more control during a fight, but honestly I didn't fight that much in IV unless I absolutely had to. I relied more on guns to get things done :sly:

But you never know, there might be separate buttons for kicking and punching in the pc version, but I doubt it... It would be cool tho
  • Sting4S likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Square was for kicking, Triangle for slow heavy attacks and Circle for fast light attacks. If you get too close to someone, instead of throwing a punch, it would shove away the person.

It even took effort to counter some of the attacks. Certain peds were slow, others were fast at throwing punches (those taxi drivers, they look like GTA V protagonists sliding over the ground to hit you)

Taunts in Multiplayer made it even more fun. Every time I joined a Free Mode session, taunts were different. 'Go for the nuts!' 'Whoop some ass!' my character would say, joyfully pressing the Square button afterwards.

NeoNegro
  • NeoNegro

Ronin

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

From reading all these posts, I honestly want to go play GTA IV now.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:58 AM Edited by Official General, 26 November 2013 - 11:58 AM.

I'm gonna play GTA IV again soon. What I really miss is using the Glock pistol - I'm not really a fan of the Berettas in GTA V. 

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

A few things I do miss from V:

• some of the car sounds actually sounded engaging albeit there needed to be more exhaust pops just for the thrill of it. I would've loved for the Presidente to have V's Coquette exhaust note, that combined with a better sense of speed would be... orgasmic!! :p

PandaLambpaws
  • PandaLambpaws

I'm a cat, I swear.

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

You're just depressing me with this topic

All these years later and GTA 5 doesn't stack up to a game that was designed early on for the 360.

GTA 5 is fun and I will not deny I enjoy the multiplayer at times, but there's no denying it has a very hollow feeling. You're always wanting something more.

bobo081093
  • bobo081093

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

I also have played IV since V and the lighting quite simply is terrible compared to V but apart from that it's still fun to play and is a very different experience to V.

albanyave
  • albanyave

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:14 AM

I've completed V and feel that it was much easier than IV.  A fun game noetheless.  I really haven't gotten the same feeling of being hooked on V that I got with IV.  I bought IV in 2010 and have not stopped playing that game.  As a matter of fact, I'm going to play it as soon as I log off.    Three Leaf Clover is my next mission.

I'm just driving around Los Santos trying to find spaceship parts and pieces of a murder letter.  Maybe a second play through of V will bring a little more appreciation.  Don't get me wrong, V is a good game and I'm glad I bought it bought I'm still a major fan of IV. :^:  :)

Judicious 7
  • Judicious 7

Compassionate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

I agree with those of you who like IV. I thought I was the only one who felt disappointed about V. It's like, I see Rockstar's ambitions with GTA V, but it's missing that life and special flow that made GTA IV fun. The cars, the player models and the little things in between are things that make me happy to own IV. I can't believe I would one day come back to LC and actually call up Roman for a game of bowling.

I don't feel connected to GTA V. I see the map in GTA V. I DO!! But it's not alive. Not in single player and not in multiplayer.

There's something about walking down the street in GTA IV and knowing that the city is its own entity and you're apart of it. GTA V just feels like you're irrelevant. You're just a tourist and have no involvement in the way it functions.

I am very excited to play the story again and replay Niko's tale.
  • SonOfLiberty and albanyave like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

I agree with those of you who like IV. I thought I was the only one who felt disappointed about V. It's like, I see Rockstar's ambitions with GTA V, but it's missing that life and special flow that made GTA IV fun. The cars, the player models and the little things in between are things that make me happy to own IV. I can't believe I would one day come back to LC and actually call up Roman for a game of bowling.

I don't feel connected to GTA V. I see the map in GTA V. I DO!! But it's not alive. Not in single player and not in multiplayer.

There's something about walking down the street in GTA IV and knowing that the city is its own entity and you're apart of it. GTA V just feels like you're irrelevant. You're just a tourist and have no involvement in the way it functions.

That's how I feel too. With LS I feel like an irrelevant object. With LC I feel like I'm apart of the city. I feel the grit and grime and almost smell everything. From the fresh cut grass of Middle Park to the filth of Bohan. I know that sounds weird, but it's the sort of feeling I get.

I haven't played GTA V in almost a week, but been playing plenty of GTA IV lately.

Judicious 7
  • Judicious 7

Compassionate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

I don't understand what happened with GTA V. It's like the game became a hollow shell of what it was supposed to be.

Here's my theory: Rockstar blended all of their previous game elements into one game. We're talking about games like Red Dead, L.A. Noire, Max Payne, etc.. And in the end, they built a blend of those games. But where is the Grand Theft Auto V? Where is the actual game? Where is the atmosphere we loved from IV?
  • UltraGizmo64 and Ixnay like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

That's how I feel too. With LS I feel like an irrelevant object. With LC I feel like I'm apart of the city. I feel the grit and grime and almost smell everything. From the fresh cut grass of Middle Park to the filth of Bohan. I know that sounds weird, but it's the sort of feeling I get.

I haven't played GTA V in almost a week, but been playing plenty of GTA IV lately.

I stopped playing V three weeks after I got it. I felt the deficiencies of that game became quickly apparent in a short amount of time. Although it maybe short of features IV I feel did its features in such a way that I keep coming back (played since the third of December 2008 on PC btw). The fact that I can stand near an LC cop without getting shot at two seconds later helps.

GoGoKilla
  • GoGoKilla

i secretly <3 asshole shotgun

• Members

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:33 PM Edited by GoGoKilla, 11 December 2013 - 07:42 PM.

The east coast vibe was screaming in my face and I loved it after spending 8 weeks in superficial, very vibrant Los Santos. The townhomes, the old architecture, the numerous skyscrapers, the people, it all felt much better. Even if it looked old, it felt better. I personally love the serious and sometimes cold atmosphere.

:^: 
I'm a fan of gta 4, I love the atmosphere  , the "color" of gta 4 , you have found the rights words
sometimes i put it back for race&mafia
the gameplay is unique and the feeling still intact

QuietJosh
  • QuietJosh

Cynical and Grumpy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

I have to agree with the sentiments expressed here. I disliked the antiseptic/empty feeling of the atmosphere in V as opposed to IV's. LC felt... real in a way that LS doesn't. Maybe it's the architecture. LS felt too damn open, airy, and insubstantial. LC feels lived in, old, and "heavy".

And the driving... apples and oranges. I like cars I can "feel" and drift around corners, not feathers to be guided with microscopic twitches.

Sure, V got some things right, or rather, brought back some elements from prior games that were lacking in IV and improved the cover/shooting system. But it also got some things wrong. Eh. No such thing as a perfect game, I guess, and you can't really satisfy everyone.

I still prefer IV over V and wish I had a PC that could run IV, if only to make the experience better with all the mods you can install. Has to be better than the Xbox version.

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:34 AM

Lol what? GTA 4 is the worst GTA Game.

Its boring as f*ck and there is nothing to do since there is no bikes, rhino and planes to f*ck around.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

KingPancakes
  • KingPancakes

Sortve have a life outside of video games, go easy

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

Lol what? GTA 4 is the worst GTA Game.

Its boring as f*ck and there is nothing to do since there is no bikes, rhino and planes to f*ck around

There's motorcycles in the game and you can go to the airport and steal a black Lear jet to fly around in. Can't shoot people or blow things up from it but it's still somthing.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

Well it can't be too bad. You've got it listed as your favourite GTA.  :sarcasm:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users