Photo

Survival Guide

113 replies to this topic
Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

BlackMetalDevil that's an epic guide, nicely edited down to cover all the maps in reasonable time.

Terminator 2 music at the start? Did you like the Sarah Conner Chronicles? (Off-topic, I know...)

Topic starter, you've created a great hub to host discussion about this thrilling game mode and shown some neat techniques already.

Thanks, BlackMetal I have yet to go over your post but from just skimming it it looks pretty damn useful.

Im wondering for those who have read the modified OP, do you think the general direction of the thread is ok? I feel I should change it to keep up with the communities needs occasionally so I would like people to sorta update me on what its missing, what people want from it, what people want out of survival in general etc etc.

Willrd
  • Willrd

Explosion Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for the tips, this is pretty well done.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the tips, this is pretty well done.

Thanks for the feedback.

I kinda forgot about this, there are still some videos missing and I haven't done Del Perro yet.

Does anyone care, should I bother filling in the gaps, or is it fine as it is?

Archetype13
  • Archetype13

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:43 AM Edited by Archetype13, 21 December 2013 - 08:45 AM.

I've recently started over (2 weeks or so) with a "legit" account so I'm still prettly low rank (low-mid 20s). Fortunately I have used tips from your survival guide to farm weapons/ammo for free roam and to quickly and safely build up some cash.

Thanks to the container strategy I can beat the Boneyard survival solo everytime with ease. It feels like I actually have to try and get killed to fail it. It usually only takes me about 30 minutes or so to finish it so it's a decent payout/time ratio for a lowbie with almost no purchased weapons.

Hearing someone rage over their mic because my lowbie character chewed up their Buzzard or Lazer with my survival-acquired minigun is awesome.

• xLuCx likes this

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

I've recently started over (2 weeks or so) with a "legit" account so I'm still prettly low rank (low-mid 20s). Fortunately I have used tips from your survival guide to farm weapons/ammo for free roam and to quickly and safely build up some cash.

Thanks to the container strategy I can beat the Boneyard survival solo everytime with ease. It feels like I actually have to try and get killed to fail it. It usually only takes me about 30 minutes or so to finish it so it's a decent payout/time ratio for a lowbie with almost no purchased weapons.

Hearing someone rage over their mic because my lowbie character chewed up their Buzzard or Lazer with my survival-acquired minigun is awesome.

Glad you found it useful. I made this guide when I was starting out, so its really aimed at those who want to get a headstart.

Im conidering reworking the guide to show more efficient 4 player tactics, more aggressive stuff than just camping behind the sweet spots. The game gets pretty stale when you do this too much. If anyone has any really good 4 player tactics feel free to put them down.

Dave Rizza
  • Dave Rizza

AWC

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:11 PM Edited by Dave Rizza, 25 December 2013 - 02:44 AM.

Great guide bud. been getting heavily into these survivals recently. Both solo and in a team and some of your tips have worked wonders. Now all i have to do is find a consistant team to go through em all. Too many times i'm finishing off every round solo while all 3 other players have died. Even had one time when i had to solo finish every round from round two as all others kept dieing early on processed and got kicked on round ten after deciding it would be mo0re fun to drink pisswasser and smoke than do all the work on my own ahaha. 

EDIT

I agree that the cabin on Boneyard makes it too easy though. Me and a random did it earlier and took zero damage the entire ten rounds. It was only just a little harder solo.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:50 AM

Great guide bud. been getting heavily into these survivals recently. Both solo and in a team and some of your tips have worked wonders. Now all i have to do is find a consistant team to go through em all. Too many times i'm finishing off every round solo while all 3 other players have died. Even had one time when i had to solo finish every round from round two as all others kept dieing early on processed and got kicked on round ten after deciding it would be mo0re fun to drink pisswasser and smoke than do all the work on my own ahaha. 

EDIT

I agree that the cabin on Boneyard makes it too easy though. Me and a random did it earlier and took zero damage the entire ten rounds. It was only just a little harder solo.

Thanks for the feedback.

If you find other players are weighing you down, you sorta have to have a backup plan. First, study what they are doing and help out however you can without exposing yourself to real danger. So basically pick a spot that puts the between you and the enemy, and sit back picking off the enemies that your team will find dangerous.

Once they inevitably go down, run to your back up zone (think about how you will do this while camping) and then save the day.

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

BUSTED! Wannabe

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:18 AM Edited by Yogogamer, 27 December 2013 - 08:19 AM.

Also, You probably already know this but, I find that the Vending Machines can be a Life Saver as one soda can refill your whole heath bar, Major downfall is that the Animation is long, However

Kano Giovanni
  • Kano Giovanni

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

I have a simple question no ones seems to be able to answer....HOW do you UNLOCK the Parachute & Survival Jobs? I'm level 100 FINALLY and still can't access either one. Am I overlooking something or an option I'm supposed to change or what?

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

For me Dom just called me up out of nowhere and it unlocked that way. For Survival I had to visit Trevor, although I think you have already done so it sounds like your game is glitched.

tomuk3
  • tomuk3

cake

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

The detail on this guide is nice, thanks for the help.

Dave Rizza
  • Dave Rizza

AWC

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:31 AM Edited by Dave Rizza, 29 December 2013 - 03:32 AM.

EDIT

Thanks for the feedback.

If you find other players are weighing you down, you sorta have to have a backup plan. First, study what they are doing and help out however you can without exposing yourself to real danger. So basically pick a spot that puts the between you and the enemy, and sit back picking off the enemies that your team will find dangerous.

Once they inevitably go down, run to your back up zone (think about how you will do this while camping) and then save the day.

Pretty much what i do now bud. I can do Processed and Boneyard now practically blindfolded and usually let the lower ranks hold the best camp spots while i float around controlling spawns then nip to the better camp spots if someone dies to hold off to the end of the round. Actually quite ego boosting to be the one that finishes when everyone dies now. ( not always there are some very competent guys around) Finishing round 10 solo while others have to spectate and taking snapmatics while the heat is on, drinking beer etc  while absolute mayem ensues usually gets some funny reactions.

• KingReflex likes this

Kano Giovanni
  • Kano Giovanni

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

Ok, for anyone interested on unlocking the Parachute Missions....

Apparently you have to go visit Lester at which point you'll have a small pointless conversation with him regarding placing bounties on other player which in turn will finally enable you to either place bounties on other players and receive information on players who have bounties placed upon them.

THEN you should get a call from Dom which will open UNLOCK the Parachute Missions which I have now finally unlocked no less than about five minutes ago or so.

Kano Giovanni
  • Kano Giovanni

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:13 AM Edited by Kano Giovanni, 29 December 2013 - 07:15 AM.

.....and as for a summary of how the my first parachute mission went....I don't think the parachuting missions are for me LOL!

Sandra-js85
  • Sandra-js85

GTA Online Nut

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Nice topic Jack.

I had a level 15 asking me about survival missions. I told him to go see Trevor and do first survival mission given by Ron, even if you die in the first wave, all other level 15 survivals unlock. It might be an idea to add this at the start of the guide. I know its obvious to those who have done it, but stating the obvious is sometimes needed for new players :)

cattafett
  • cattafett

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:48 PM Edited by cattafett, 15 May 2014 - 11:22 AM.

first let me say sorry for not reading your guide but i want to beat all the survival missions on my own before i look to improve my game

not sure if this has been said but you know the limit to which you can pick up weapons in the survival

i.e. you already have 5 or 6 grenades and you just run over the 2 sitting there not picking them up

if you open the weapon wheel, highlight the grenade  and press Y to drop it (triangle for PS i think) 

you can then pick up the fresh grenades then pick up the ones you dropped 

also works with RPGs, grenade launchers, stickies bombs and mini guns(for those times when 7000 bullets just are not enough)

EDIT : in case you didn't know this no longer works as if you drop a weapon next time you play

you will have to re-buy that weapon even if you buy ammo for it

and i can't be assed to type it now but does anyone care about the big bins you can move and hide behind (railway solo with just a pistol apart from helicopters)

once again sorry if i'm teaching your gran to chew cheese

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:04 AM

Cool tip about the ammo, I dont really understand what you are trying to say about the bins though.

cattafett
  • cattafett

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:03 PM Edited by cattafett, 03 January 2014 - 05:07 AM.

ok the bins 

in the railway survival if you run south from where it starts on your right hand side just past the big blue containers is a little alcove with two red containers on the right and two bins on the left.http://rsg.ms/1cphEzC

if you just hide behind the bins sometimes for some reason you don't alway shoot. 

the blue bins you can just punch (don't help here as the view is crap) but if you pistol whip the right hand side of the green bin about 5 or six times you can crouch behind it. for extra safety hit the blue bin up against the green bit  

before http://rsg.ms/KmRs2m  after   http://rsg.ms/KmRxTC

from here you can hold up on the left stick to see who's coming then take pot shots at any one you see.  http://rsg.ms/1cplg4E

when cops hide to the right behind the low crash barrier thing you can just see the tops of their heads when they stand to shoot and often their guns are not above the thing they are hiding behind so its safe to snipe them 

the only issues to my mind are i'm not sure the bin moves for other people and if you run to far away (where you start is safe plus the weapons that spawns to the east and west are safe as well) but if you go for the RPG to the far north (wave 7) you will have to move the bin again

also in the sandy survival behind the red barbers shop the blue bin in the little shelter http://rsg.ms/1cpn5yD can be hit 90 to 120 degrees then pushed back to the wall and while not as good as the railway bin

it will take a lot of the bullets

the reason i felt to tell you is not all bins will move

hope it helps someone

edit: just to add if on one of the later waves (when the weapons respawn) you manage to shoot the chopper gunmen with out killing the pilot or you get it when one of the dudes gets himself stuck somewhere you can run around stocking up with the drop weapon thing till they are full   

• ten-a-penny likes this

PhDJ
  • PhDJ

Gunslinger

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

BONEYARD: Starts at 00:00.
DEL PERRO PIER SURVIVAL: Starts at 1:22.
INDUSTRIAL PLANT: Starts at 2:50.
PROCESSED: Starts at 4:20.
RAILYARD SURVIVAL: Starts at 6:07.   
SANDY SURVIVAL: Starts at 8:00.
SAWMILL PLANT: Starts at 10:29.

- The spots shown are what I've found works the easiest/fastest/safest, I start from the original spawn spot to show you how to get there quickly.

- By forcing the enemies into a bottleneck it becomes like a carnival duck shoot, when the round is over you can collect all the ammo in an easy to reach pile.

- Health & armour are nearby all these spots so you can run and grab them and get back before the next wave hits.

- Set a sticky bomb trap as a last line of defense if needed, if the waves of enemies gets too intense/close, detonate.

- Survival is a great way to stock up on all ammo types, easy money, and easy RP (you get a good amount of RP from killing all the enemies, plus the RP at the end for finishing).

- Survival is also useful if you are a lower level and want some better guns but havn't unlocked them yet. Do a quick solo survival when you first jump online and you'll be set with guns, ammo, cash, and RP.

- Hold select (PS3) to bring up your inventory to eat snacks when in cover or aiming, I use it often especially when I take out the helicopters, I just stand out there and hammer the chopper with bullets and if I'm getting shot I press X to eat while still shooting.

- Don't blow up the cars! If you do, the burnt car will remain and can block your view for easy kills. Wait until they get out then shoot them, when the wave ends and you do your quick lap for ammo/health/armour the remaining cars will usually disappear like the dead bodies.

- Choice of weapons to use is up to you, I use the assault shotgun for a few of these maps so my other ammo fills up for missions and deathmatches, avoid using whatever gun you use the most elsewhere so you finish with max ammo for it.

- These spots still work with 2-4 other people in the game, the funnel effect won't be as good so you won't get as many kills but towards the later waves if the others die you'll be able to hold off the attack from your safe spot to bring home the win.

- To start a solo survival either stand in the mission circle and choose host, or press start and go to Jobs/Rockstar-Created/Survival/Map/Host (this is the quickest way because you don't need to be near the mission start point).

- The quickest maps using these spots are Processed and Sandy Shores, the slowest is Industrial Plant.

Amazing guide this one ! Put this to practice already, helps a lot !

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:38 PM Edited by Jack Reacher, 22 January 2014 - 04:32 AM.

...so no more sticky topics in this section then?

EDIT: Nvm

projectxuk
  • projectxuk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

For boneyard i run straight through the gates down to the plane jump onto the wing then engine and down the other side has a nice little gap.to shoot without being shot and can also.hide either side away from the heli

gta4thewin
  • gta4thewin

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

I really like this tutorial! Nice work.

I come to think of that I haven't played the sawmill survival...  :blink:  Gotta do that soon.

For boneyard i run straight through the gates down to the plane jump onto the wing then engine and down the other side has a nice little gap.to shoot without being shot and can also.hide either side away from the heli

Nice tip!

Arcade Reacher
  • Arcade Reacher

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • New-Zealand

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

I really like this tutorial! Nice work.

I come to think of that I haven't played the sawmill survival...  :blink:  Gotta do that soon.

Its great fun if you go on the rooftop with an MG and minigun, thanks for liking the guide.

Sorry about the YT videos I deleted that account. And I can't edit the OP so.....

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:22 AM

Wow Jack's BUSTED :O

what happened? 

Arcade Reacher
  • Arcade Reacher

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • New-Zealand

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:28 AM

Wow Jack's BUSTED :O

what happened? 

Is it really such a surprise?

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:08 AM

I'm not so sure Arcade is Jack Reacher.

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'm not so sure Arcade is Jack Reacher.

I guess not.. the mods would see the IP and ban him again.

• WBaker likes this

Arcade Reacher
  • Arcade Reacher

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • New-Zealand

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

Guess there is only one way to prove it, as only a Reacher can post like a Reacher....

Gingy1337
  • Gingy1337

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Personally, I find the combat pistol to be the best for up to at least 5 rounds because the ammo is cheap and most of the time it is a one shot kill.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

giving this a bump

btw: how the heck can a player join a survival mission that is already in progress????  I've had this happen to me quite a few times now.  Is this from a hack or is there a glitch that ppl are exploiting to do this?

They typically show up after wave 2 or so. You get a message "so and so is spectating". Then the extra player joins in during that break between waves.

It's annoying as f*ck because this totally disrupts the team dynamics against the AI.  Especially if they happen to be clueless n00bs who have no idea what cover means in a survival scenario.  Or having ppl randomly popping in/out of the survival when they feel like it.  :facedesk:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users