Quantcast

» «
Photo

How the hell did R* make a game this good looking?

82 replies to this topic
Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

On hardware this old?! Seriously, even after one month this game keeps on impressing me. The clear blue water (and dem waves) against the beautiful hills. The sunsets... oh the sunsets. 

I know there is nothing new about anything in this thread but am I the only one who's still getting his mind blown by the visuals, even after a month?

• saintsrow, Wolfhuman, lol232 and 7 others like this

yonatan755
  • yonatan755

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

If you like it with the jagged edges and the bad frame rate, then you'll fap to the pc version when it's out
  • sivaG, UltraGizmo64, SilverRST and 6 others like this

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

It looks good, but not great. The AA is so bad; looking at a distance hurts your eyes. The characters look amazing though for current gen.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Trevor's Mother
  • Trevor's Mother

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

and the terrible and low-res ground textures (especially on the xbox version), and the ridiculously low draw distance, etc. This game has his pros and cons visually speaking.

But I agree that R* has made a very good job on a 8-year-old hardware.

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Rockstar will eventually release the game on next gen consoles. They'd be stupid not to.

lightningun
  • lightningun

...Rage...

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

The game is probably the best looking game on this gen considering its magnitude. Look at saints row iv, San Andreas looks better than that crap.
Gtav just reminds me of uncharted 3 graphics wise.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

If there is one major thing Rockstar got right with this game, it was the graphics. The game looks amazing on my PS3. 

• carl turtle, swagbucks and CheddaJohn like this

serpentoflight
  • serpentoflight

If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong.

• BUSTED!
  • Commonwealth

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

Red dead redemption looked sweet too, especially the night sky and the interiors
  • UltraGizmo64 and CheddaJohn like this

stobe187
  • stobe187

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

I think the lighting engine is the finest I've seen on this gen. By far.

• MOGGYASAURUS, DaRkL3AD3R, swagbucks and 2 others like this

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

To know how to take advantage of all the resources of the console and adjust the textures and models in such a way as Rockstar has done, you need to be a genius
  • DaRkL3AD3R, swagbucks and CheddaJohn like this

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:21 PM Edited by darkdayz, 23 November 2013 - 11:23 PM.

So many clowns here who define good graphics by the level of photo-realism. For the hardware its on, the graphical detail of this game for the size of the map is an absolute masterpiece. No other developer goes to film festivals giving world building masterclasses. Anything that doesn't look great in terms of textures is specifically because of the limitations of 8 year old hardware. That is all.

The lighting in this game is also better than any other game. Every other game out that is known for it's amazing graphics cheats in my opinion, by making everything look dark, dirt and wet, thus hiding any impurities you would see, lower the contrast in the settings on those games and up the brightness, and then see how amazing it looks.

• saintsrow, Drake1212, MOGGYASAURUS and 4 others like this

The4orTy67
  • The4orTy67

Spieler Hasser

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

Wait till you see the PC version.

I'd like to stress the waiting part.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait
  • DaRkL3AD3R likes this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

Rockstar will eventually release the game on next gen consoles. They'd be stupid not to.I

IMO, they'd be smart not to. A lot of people who already own the game wouldn't want to buy it twice. They'd lose money.

• GTA564 likes this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

I am actually astonished at the lighting as well, it is perfect, the level of photorealism is incredible as well though, it's almost on par with the better exclusives which is quite ridiculous.

My main gripe however is the low framerate which makes for blurriness when driving, but that was unavoidable, this game is brilliant for graphics.

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

and the terrible and low-res ground textures (especially on the xbox version), and the ridiculously low draw distance, etc. This game has his pros and cons visually speaking.

But I agree that R* has made a very good job on a 8-year-old hardware.

...What?

• MOGGYASAURUS likes this

Phopper
  • Phopper

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

The last of us has far better graphics.
  • mike-commander likes this

serpentoflight
  • serpentoflight

If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong.

• BUSTED!
  • Commonwealth

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

True but is waaaaaaay smaller

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:42 PM Edited by GTA564, 23 November 2013 - 11:49 PM.

LOL Are you serious?
GTA V (Not mine it's -EvilFuture- picture) 10/10
13874645.jpg
The Last of Us 8/10
13874648.png
  • PreciousWall, DaRkL3AD3R and swagbucks like this

dave4242
  • dave4242

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

Short draw distance? poor frame rate? jagged edges? seriously I am playing a different game from everyone else because all of that is the opposite of what I am experiencing. 

The game looks phenomenal on my monitor, and I know the difference as I play PC games on an eight grand system all the time.

• MOGGYASAURUS, DaRkL3AD3R and Bonnano like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

The Last of US was not an open world and had the advantage of being a single platform game. PS3 exclusives are usually the best looking games of the last generation. It's still very impressive what they did.

Rockstar pushed these consoles to the absolute limit and there is a reason why they had the long install before you played.

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

I Run This Town

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

The view from Franklin's mansion... (especially in a sunny day), is breathtaking. The way sunlight reflects to skin, clothes, etc it's almost photorealistic.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

R* has been developing games for these systems for years, and now acquired a lot of experience.
I especially appreciate that since Max Payne 3 R* no longer do ports, but develop their games in tandém for all platforms, this way they can squeeze every ounce of power from these consoles.
Even then, I think GTA V could have been even better on both the 360 (if they got rid of the asset-streaming glitch, and those low-res textures), and on the PS3 (if they used a few more SPEs from the Cell processor to help out on the graphics processing).

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

LOL Are you serious?
GTA V (Not mine it's -EvilFuture- picture) 10/10
13874645.jpg
The Last of Us 8/10
13874648.png

The Last of Us does not look even CLOSE to that bad. I don't know what you did to that picture, but that's sure as hell not an original, unaltered screenshot.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

It's gonna look good till GTA 6 comes out. I bet it will.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

JUst imagine what Rockstar and Naughty Dog who IMO are the two best developers will do in next gen consoles.

• DeafMetal, swagbucks and CheddaJohn like this

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

LOL Are you serious?GTA V (Not mine it's -EvilFuture- picture) 10/1013874645.jpgThe Last of Us 8/1013874648.png

Tlou Tlooks like a cartoon in that pic..
  • DaRkL3AD3R and swagbucks like this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

On hardware this old?! Seriously, even after one month this game keeps on impressing me. The clear blue water (and dem waves) against the beautiful hills. The sunsets... oh the sunsets. 

I know there is nothing new about anything in this thread but am I the only one who's still getting his mind blown by the visuals, even after a month?

Certainly not alone there OP. I have some serious plans for GTA V when it hits PC and I get my dev kit V2 of the Oculus Rift. C06alt has planned Rift support and reintroducing his first person mod for the game. So imagine walking along those sunsets on the beach in a 1080p Oculus Rift with first person on a high end PC with max graphics settings :) Going to be incredible.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

I have no patience for you V section lurkers

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

Look at RDR and you'll understand how. Sadly the graphics are in the least of my thoughts because certain features just irritate me.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

You aren't alone OP. I'm most impressed with the lighting, especially fire fights at night.

It's a surreal experience at times.
  • MOGGYASAURUS and Wolfhuman like this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

I totally agree.  Aaron Garbut's design team should get an Oscar and a standing ovation.  Every aspect of the beautiful scenery and the GTAV world design that people have mentioned above, just amazing.  :^:  On this hardware!!

In the last few days, I have been sometimes taking a break from endless farming and grinding for levels, and just exploring and looking around, and I was struck by the same thing as the OP.  The GTAV world is incredible, detailed, everywhere. :^: :^:

I got an Elgato HD capture card this week, just so I could capture some of the beautiful things I am seeing.  :colgate:

• MOGGYASAURUS and DeafMetal like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users