New to coding, have a few questions

7 replies to this topic
BarelyLegal
  • BarelyLegal

You're a cünt.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hey everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask such questions.

I was thinking of learning to code in C++, and I have Visual Studio 2012 installed already. I was thinking of starting with a basic 2d game that I could build upon as I go along.

I've been using computers for many years, but I am new to coding. I just had a few questions and would really appreciate some feedback.

1: Is C++ a suitable language to begin with?

2: How would I display graphics (sprites?), and how would I link the code to the graphics? I'm aware of things like OpenGL, but I'm not really sure what it is. How would I link them together?

3: Would I design sprites in an external program, like Photoshop for instance? I quickly Google'd "Sprite animation tutorial" and was recommended Anatomy sprite animator, and Corel. 

4: If the answer to 3 is 'Yes', is there a way to import that into Visual Studio, or OpenGL? (I'm not really sure what I'm talking about)

Thanks in advance everyone, I really appreciate it. Apologies for being so clueless.

Rawra
  • Rawra

Daedric Prince of Madness

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:05 PM Edited by Rawra, 23 November 2013 - 01:06 PM.

1.Yes C++ is suitable, although I would personally recommend to start with C and after being comfortable with it, to have a look at C++.

2. Have you coded before? If not, there's not just some 'draw model' command. You use an API (correct word?) such as OpenGL or DirectX, set up the rendering data and then call it as part of your main loop.

3. Whatever you want

4. The API can take care of that for you when you create your textures.

---

I'm guessing you have little or no experience coding? If so, I personally don't think you should just rush into graphics immediately (I tried it ages ago with something called DarkGDK or w.e, and didn't know what I was doing). First you need to actually be able to code and then throw graphics on top of it.

For C/++, I'd recommend C++ Primer by Stephen Prata

For DirectX, Introduction to 3D Game Programming Direct X 9/10/11 by Frank Luna

Although, if you're wanting to just make a quick game, perhaps GameMaker or Adobe Flash are more suitable

BarelyLegal
  • BarelyLegal

You're a cünt.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the quick, detailed response.

Is C the same as C#?

I made an old crappy Flash game in College, but that was a long time ago.

I'm really looking to use C so I can start developing my knowledge on an in-depth language. Some people recommend Java, I'm unsure.

Rawra
  • Rawra

Daedric Prince of Madness

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

C isn't the same as C#, and C# is Object-Oriented (although I haven't used it before).

But I don't think you can go wrong with learning C first. It's quite simple (http://www.cprogramm...c-tutorial.html shows the main things to go through, which is quite few)

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

If you want to learn to actually program, start with C. Keep in mind that you won't be ready to work with graphics for a long time.

If your goal is to make simple platformers as quickly as possible, you can try Flash, Unity, or Torque.

LiquidNitrogen
  • LiquidNitrogen

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

Go for autoit. I went from HTML to batch to auto it. It has basic like syntax and its just easy and fun to use.

http://WWW.auto it.com

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:07 PM Edited by trip, 18 December 2013 - 11:15 PM.

I've been writing crappy ass games since about '79.

Since you have VS installed just pick up the XNA libraries(free) and go hog wild writing full on games in c#. You can even write for the 360 with VS and XNA.

I have sh*t tons of 2d based game code I'd be more then willing to let you have.

Edit:

moved to the laptop to grab the xna link for ya.

http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Just remember man, games are a labor of love.  Nobody's ever gonna be happy, you're never gonna be happy, it's never going to be good enough, it's going to take too long, you're gonna give up a dozen times, but in 5 years, you'll be in the top 1% of coders.  I gave up on video games after a year and reading several articles about how poorly they're treated in the industry, and packed up my C/C++ books and got a job doing PHP.  Soulless work, but it pays the bills a hell of a lot better than dinking around with games.

I wish you all the best.  Every good game coder needs a scripter, an artist, and if you're lucky, a muse.  Don't try to do it alone man.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users