51 replies to this topic
Elijin
  • Elijin

Probably Lost. Send help.

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

not on this generation of console for sure

but PS4 and spybox could get an increase as well as pc

Totally unrelated, but why do people still call it a spybox when its released and is 100% confirmed that the machine runs both with the kinect off, or the kinect unplugged?

Tantrix
  • Tantrix

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

I never saw this 16 player limit until I got GTA V on console (PS3 here).  In GTA IV on PC we roll with 32 per server...and also no stupid ass auto-aim.

OOM 313
  • OOM 313

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

BF3 and 4 have 24 players.........

Tantrix
  • Tantrix

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:37 PM Edited by Tantrix, 24 November 2013 - 07:49 PM.

BF3 and 4 have 24 players.........

Exactly. 

PC will allow 64+ players in many games, and look better doing it.  This is why I don't play much on consoles.

pokemon4ever
  • pokemon4ever

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Gta samp for pc had like what 100-150+ ? Those were good times :)

Woooow I missed out!

you didnt miss out. samp is still going strong and there's a few servers that get up to 500 players or more at peak times. v did kind of dent the roleplay servers a bit though, when it came out

mobe
  • mobe

Prankster

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:49 PM Edited by mobe, 24 November 2013 - 07:50 PM.

Why not 32players in this generation? It can be done im just wondering why not? I think its more to do with microsoft setting restrictions to cap at 16. Other games have more... Battlefield 24, Homefront 32 and perfect dark zero i believe had 32 players and that was a very early game! So yes it can be done on this generation i just have no idea why its not done in this game! I would have thought it would be down to microsoft setting the 16 player limitations. This game needs at least 32players+ for this size of map!

It is not really about the bandwidth it has to do with how little RAM the ps3 and xbox 360 have. 

Its a combination of bandwidth and memory. Games like BF4 and other games that have more than 16 players have a lot less to synch across the network than GTAV does at any given moment. 

THEREALCHROMEADDER
  • THEREALCHROMEADDER

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

i agree with op

rlr149
  • rlr149

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Why not 32players in this generation? It can be done im just wondering why not? I think its more to do with microsoft setting restrictions to cap at 16. Other games have more... Battlefield 24, Homefront 32 and perfect dark zero i believe had 32 players and that was a very early game! So yes it can be done on this generation i just have no idea why its not done in this game! I would have thought it would be down to microsoft setting the 16 player limitations. This game needs at least 32players+ for this size of map!

It is not really about the bandwidth it has to do with how little RAM the ps3 and xbox 360 have. 

Its a combination of bandwidth and memory. Games like BF4 and other games that have more than 16 players have a lot less to synch across the network than GTAV does at any given moment. 

planetside 2, 2000 players per map............... yes i know it's pc but it kind of proves theres already enough bandwidth for that level of data, just the consoles themselves can't handle it.

you are right that gta v has more to synch than BF:COD and the like

Tantrix
  • Tantrix

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:05 PM Edited by Tantrix, 24 November 2013 - 08:17 PM.

planetside 2, 2000 players per map............... yes i know it's pc but it kind of proves theres already enough bandwidth for that level of data, just the consoles themselves can't handle it.

you are right that gta v has more to synch than BF:COD and the like

Exactly...it's a console limitation, since PC's have been capable of a massive amount of players for many years now.

PandaLambpaws
  • PandaLambpaws

I'm a cat, I swear.

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

It still doesn't excuse a piddly 16 players.

There's gotta be some way to maybe segment the map? It's not like I can shoot a bullet of Mt Chilliad and hit someone way downtown, so even if 32 players might make the game chug... maybe they could segment the map and connections so that if 10 people are in Blaine County they won't get the lag from people playing way downtown?

I know what I said is total conjecture but my point is there has got to be a SOLUTION to ONLY 16 PLAYERS

brockywinch
  • brockywinch

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Had a good game last night where like 12 people in the room kind of bunched up around 2 or 3 blocks and just had an all out war. wish there were more moments like this online, but I usually just end up driving around doing nothing

Totally agree with you, I think thats why they came up with 'gang attacks' because they knew the map was far to big for 16 players.

I would like to see 40 at least but I understand why this isn't possible ATM.

Kerberos42
  • Kerberos42

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Besides the fan on my PS3 going into take off power while playing GTAV, what is the exact technical limitation on the consoles? RAM, CPU, GPU?  Connections to the server to support tracking so many objects? (players cars, weapons, clothes etc x16, x32 etc..)

Easydp33
  • Easydp33

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

MAG 5 years ago had 128 v 128. 256 player servers. I was kinda shocked it was only 16 too. But seems like the more players the less that NPCs spawn. Probably just rockstar tho.. Going back to the launch.. Maybe if they did have higher maximum players in a server there would be less servers that had to generate.. Thus maybe would of helped with the launch but probably not.

rlr149
  • rlr149

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:00 AM Edited by rlr149, 27 November 2013 - 12:01 AM.

Besides the fan on my PS3 going into take off power while playing GTAV, what is the exact technical limitation on the consoles? RAM, CPU, GPU?  Connections to the server to support tracking so many objects? (players cars, weapons, clothes etc x16, x32 etc..)

RAM,

don't think of GTA as just 16 players, the pedestrians/cops/vehicles/players all become similar entities as they have to be synched for everyone, so 2 real players looking at a police chopper are looking at 3 AI 'players'. the same data as a real player has to be transferred, their direction/speed/stance/weapon etc etc etc.

now how many AI's is CoD moving about in it's online game? haven't played it so don't know, but i'll guess at none because it's a purer PvP game type, maybe a few drones/airstrike pilot AI's.......... but nothing like what GTA is doing.

• Ewok626 likes this

oblivionskate
  • oblivionskate

Ghettotech

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

Gta samp for pc had like what 100-150+ ? Those were good times :)

thanks for the memories, im about to go play that now, STUNT SERVERS :)

Ewok626
  • Ewok626

Prankster

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:10 AM Edited by Ewok626, 27 November 2013 - 12:10 AM.

RAM,

don't think of GTA as just 16 players, the pedestrians/cops/vehicles/players all become similar entities as they have to be synched for everyone, so 2 real players looking at a police chopper are looking at 3 AI 'players'. the same data as a real player has to be transferred, their direction/speed/stance/weapon etc etc etc.

now how many AI's is CoD moving about in it's online game? haven't played it so don't know, but i'll guess at none because it's a purer PvP game type, maybe a few drones/airstrike pilot AI's.......... but nothing like what GTA is doing.

Yup its the pitiful RAM on both the ps3 and xbox 360. The PS3 only has 256 MB for system memory and 256 MB for video. The 360 has 512 MB that can be shared between the system and video memory.

rlr149
  • rlr149

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

RAM,

Yup its the pitiful RAM on both the ps3 and xbox 360. The PS3 only has 256 MB for system memory and 256 MB for video. The 360 has 512 MB that can be shared between the system and video memory.

exactly, i've got 8 gig in this pc and thats pretty much the bare minimum you should have these days. the ps3 has around 3 to 4% of that.

thivakar
  • thivakar

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

In San Andreas online on PC few servers allowed MAX of 500 players, think how chaotic that was lol. Some servers like Crazybob's CopsNRobbers were way better than GTA 5 online. Thats why i want to have GTA 5 on pc aswell

biggsull
  • biggsull

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:52 AM Edited by biggsull, 27 November 2013 - 01:00 AM.

PS3 limitations are based on Xbox360, think why mag was a ps3 exclusive with its ~250 players in 1 match.

Same reason ps3 has 24 players on BF3 and so did xbox, I wouldnt doubt it was even a backdoor agreement from the start, considering the 360 was a sub par console which charged money for its online, its kinda hard to compete with the ps3 if the ps3 gets 32 players and you get 24.

Xbox pays sony 1 time lump sum, gains the ability to be viable down the line. (these last couple years being down the line)

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

If there were more than 16 players in a public freeroam session, the console could not keep up with the bandwidth of all the "A killed B" messages flying by, and it would freeze. 

Ewok626
  • Ewok626

Prankster

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:04 AM

PS3 limitations are based on Xbox360, think why mag was a ps3 exclusive with its ~250 players in 1 match.

Nope. The 360 is the better gaming system because of the shared ram IMO. The only thing that the PS3 might have that is better is the cell CPU but then no devs want to take the time to use it to its full potential. Most of rockstar's games have run better and at higher resolutions on the 360 vs the PS3 but in the end both consoles have too little RAM to support more than 16 players in a game like GTA V.

I hope that the PC version is at least 32 or 64 players if it ever comes out.

biggsull
  • biggsull

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:37 AM Edited by biggsull, 27 November 2013 - 01:52 AM.

Nope. The 360 is the better gaming system because of the shared ram IMO. The only thing that the PS3 might have that is better is the cell CPU but then no devs want to take the time to use it to its full potential. Most of rockstar's games have run better and at higher resolutions on the 360 vs the PS3 but in the end both consoles have too little RAM to support more than 16 players in a game like GTA V.

I hope that the PC version is at least 32 or 64 players if it ever comes out.

Load.

The only thing the 360 had up on the ps3 from the launch was the ps3's original lack of games. The PS3 is a far superior console.Youre using the sega is better than SNES argument.

Watch for nostalgia if you were playing games yet.

Well yo, sega has BLAST PROCESSING 7.6 Mhz compared to a paltry 3.6 MHz (ignoring SNES had 32,768 colors compared to 256 and 512x448 resolution compared to 320x224 etc etc.)

comparison__7.jpg

skyrim-ps3-vs-360-graphics.jpg

codcompare.jpg

The old gears of war one I cant find, it showed how the xbox devs had to actually pull things out of the scenery and it also looking horrible compared to ps3.

Ive owned both, Ill also say the 360 dies if you breathe on it too hard where as a ps3 can be dropped down stairs and break a corner off, work fine. (opened a pop and spittle sprayed multiple feet away into a tiny hole on top of the 360, shorted the whole thing out (ps3 has no top holes)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users