» «
Photo

San Fierro in the 1970's: An unearthed gold mine

6 replies to this topic
Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:59 PM Edited by Niko Vercetti 112, 22 November 2013 - 07:59 PM.

San Fierro in the 1970's: An unearthed gold mine

I've been wanting to make a thread like this for a while, yet haven't been able to get around to it. So here I present to you why I feel the next GTA should be a San Fierro/Northern California based game during the 1970's. But for starters, I need to clear up a few things...

Why the 1970's?

Look at the way Rockstar handled the progression from GTA IV to GTA V, culturally speaking. GTA IV worked well for the plain and simple reason that the four games before it (VC, SA, LCS and VCS) were all period pieces, and we hadn't seen a contemporary based GTA since III (which didn't focus as much on culture as following instalments have). Then to GTA V, it felt bland. Yes there had been a lot going on between 2008 and 2013, but it still felt too similar as the last main instalment had been based in a time period so close to it. So I personally fell that the next GTA should, at the very least, take a break from modern society and focus on something in the past.

And how can Rockstar do something fresh in relation to period pieces? The 1970's. The 70's are practically when American culture started to boom. You had the disco movement, an unimaginable number of cheesy (yet fun) movies like Vanishing Point and Taxi Driver which GTA took inspiration from, the general public began to distrust the federal government, pissed off Vietnam Veterans and so much more. The 70's has a great a potential as the 80's did in VC, it just needs to be done right.

Why San Fierro again?

Of all the cities from the 3D era, it's almost unanimously agreed that San Fierro was the worst done out of them all. So little detail and a, somewhat, boring map layout. Of all the locations San Francisco has not had a properly done rendition in a GTA game. In addition to this, across the bay you have crime filled Oakland, to the south you have Silicon Valley where young tech geniuses make their millions, hippie communes to the north west, and the beautiful snow covered peaks of the Sierra Nevada Mountain range to the north-east. Northern California as a whole has as much potential for greatness as Southern California did in GTA V.

So why San Fierro in the 1970's?

Now this is where my main points come into play. During the 1970's San Francisco was a cultural melting pot. You had: hippie radicals, biker clubs forming from returning Vietnam Veterans,

the beginning of acceptance of gay people into the community and just an overall acceptance of social outcasts being thrown into the one city.

In addition to this, this city was plagued with nothing by drugs, crime, prostitution and a heavy influx of south-east Asian immigrants following the spread of communism in South-East Asia. It's neighbouring City across the bay, Oakland, also suffered from heavy amounts of gang violence during this era, which could work amazing as for some 70's style gangbanging mission strand. All this sounds perfect for something for Rockstar to take the absolute sh*t out of.

In addition, if Rockstar wishes to follow a similar pattern to what they did with VC and SA and parody real- world events (much like the bank job in VC did with THIS event or the riots in SA parodying the Rodney King incident) there are plenty of incidents which our protagonist(s) could take part in. Such as:

The Golden Dragon Massacre

The Golden Dragon Massacre that occurred on 4 September 1977 originated with a dispute at the Golden Dragon Restaurant between the Joe Boys,and the Wah Ching, two Chinatown gangs. The Joe Boys attacked the Wah Ching at this restaurant as they had vandalized the graves of some of the Joe Boys members who had been killed. In the resulting gun battle of five innocent bystanders, including two tourists, were killed and 11 injured and this incident came to be known as the Golden Dragon Massacre following which the San Francisco Police Department's Gang Task Force came to be established.

The Milk-Moscone Assassination

The Moscone–Milk assassinations were the killings of San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk, who were shot and killed in San Francisco City Hall by former Supervisor Dan White on November 27, 1978. White was angry that Moscone had refused to re-appoint him to his seat on the Board of Supervisors, from which White had just resigned, and that Milk had lobbied heavily against his re-appointment.

The White Night Riots

The White Night riots were a series of violent events sparked by an announcement of the lenient sentencing of Dan White, for the assassinations of San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk. The events took place on the night of May 21, 1979 (the night before what would have been Milk's 49th birthday) in San Francisco. Earlier that day, White had been convicted of voluntary manslaughter, the lightest possible conviction for his actions.

The gay community of San Francisco had a longstanding conflict with the San Francisco Police Department. White's status as a former police officer intensified the community's anger at the SFPD. Initial demonstrations took place as a peaceful march through the Castro district of San Francisco. After the crowd arrived at the San Francisco City Hall, violence began. The events caused hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of property damage to City Hall and the surrounding area, as well as injuries to police officers and rioters.

For further reading on San Francisco during the 70's, you can check out THIS Wikipedia page.

So in turn, I do in fact believe that for, at least the next instalment, Rockstar should redo San Fierro correctly by ditching the repetative contemporary setting, and basing it in the era that it was most famous is. What are your two cent on this matter?

• Joe Chip likes this

ziggyjive
  • ziggyjive

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:08 AM Edited by ziggyjive, 23 November 2013 - 01:15 AM.

"Taxi Driver" is just about as far from cheesy as you can get. A real knee slapper, that one. I agree with you for the most part though. I've long wanted to see a GTA in the 70s. San Fierro would be great and I totally get that it was in it's heyday (particularly in the early 70s) but I'd personally prefer a place with four seasons so we could experience snow. NYC was possibly at it's seediest in the 70s and Boston's Irish mob was in their golden age. I think both these would be great candidates. But I would certainly take anything set in the 70s. I replied in your other thread in more detail just a little while ago.

And actually, if they were willing to do it, I think London or Manchester or somewhere in the UK would be really ace for the 70s. Think "Life on Mars" (original British version- amazing show if you haven't seen it).

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

"Taxi Driver" is just about as far from cheesy as you can get. A real knee slapper, that one. I agree with you for the most part though. I've long wanted to see a GTA in the 70s. San Fierro would be great and I totally get that it was in it's heyday (particularly in the early 70s) but I'd personally prefer a place with four seasons so we could experience snow. NYC was possibly at it's seediest in the 70s and Boston's Irish mob was in their golden age. I think both these would be great candidates. But I would certainly take anything set in the 70s. I replied in your other thread in more detail just a little while ago.

Don't get me wrong, I myself would love to see Liberty City or a Boston parody set in the 70's. However with LC being done already, and SF already an established GTA city, I think it's easier to get hope up for SF in the 70's. But, hell, if I ever get a GTA in the 70's, despite it's location, I will be happy.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

Every time I see somebody mention San Fierro in the 70's, I automatically think of that scene from "Bullitt" or however you spell it, where the cars are chasing eachother up and down those hills.

I'd love to see a GTA game in the 70's, though. Imagine all the stuff they could include! Hippies, PTSD-riddled Vietnam veterans, Crosby Stills & Nash, the list goes on!

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

I'd rather see 70's Boston GTA.

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

hello!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

I didn't have to read much of that to know it'd be a decent idea. In GTA SA The Truth and his friends reminisced the 70s in San Fierro, maybe they can actually redo it and put in that 70s feel and a little reference.

No more of this modern day bullsh*t it needs a break.
  • Niko Vercetti 112 likes this

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

I actually enjoyed San Fierro the most out of the SA cities simply because of the hills. I'd love to see them set an HD-era game in San Fierro.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users