Quantcast

» «
Photo

Evidence of why Revenge ending is canon?

81 replies to this topic
Vanto
  • Vanto

Ghetto Star

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

So in GTAV, lots of people found some references about Niko, and one of them is very interesting. On the Niko's LifeInvader page easter egg, he has Roman as a friend, even as a family member. LifeInvader was founded in 2009 (after GTA IV's story) because it doesn't appear in GTA IV. So, why would Roman have a Life Invader profile if he died? Here's the photo of Niko's page:

maxresdefault.jpg

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

lol232
  • lol232

Got room for one more?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

It's probably just an easter egg.

Also, Roman could have gotten LI looong ago, ever though of that?

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

That sarcastic asshole you all have grown to love.

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

"LifeInvader was founded in 2009 (after GTA IV's story) because it doesn't appear in GTA IV. So, why would Roman have a Life Invader profile if he died? "

• GroundZero, VercettiGroveRussian, the_sniper_29 and 6 others like this

lol232
  • lol232

Got room for one more?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

"LifeInvader was founded in 2009 (after GTA IV's story) because it doesn't appear in GTA IV. So, why would Roman have a Life Invader profile if he died? "

Oh, RIGHT.

It's just an easter egg, then.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

part of IV could take place in 2009. I added up all my days and it was just under a year. Roman could have gotten it before he died. Its jsut an easer egg though and doesnt really confirm anything.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Oh, and here I thought you were going to refer to Tavell Clinton's LifeInvader post, about how Roman's cab company provides the worst taxi service.

Of course someone else could have been running the company and just keeping Roman's name for memoriam.

Then again, a LifeInvader account could have also been created as a memento for Roman.

What's strange is that the LifeInvader service doesn't have a search function, or even something similar to the police database in IV. Now we just have to wait for someone to make a comment, and then hope that the profile isn't logged in private.

• Wolfhuman likes this

Vanto
  • Vanto

Ghetto Star

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

The game is set in autumn. In TBOGT, in 'I Luv LC', Tony mentions that in October 3, the US goverment spended $700 billion dollars to bail out several major banks. The game's time could be set on October, as GTA IV and its DLCs are set in the same time. And Life Invader could be created in late 2009, not necessarily at the very beginning of 2009. But also the game could be set at the beginning of 2009, as songs from TBOGT are from that year.

Vanto
  • Vanto

Ghetto Star

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

Oh, and here I thought you were going to refer to Tavell Clinton's LifeInvader post, about how Roman's cab company provides the worst taxi service.

Of course someone else could have been running the company and just keeping Roman's name for memoriam.

Then again, a LifeInvader account could have also been created as a memento for Roman.

What's strange is that the LifeInvader service doesn't have a search function, or even something similar to the police database in IV. Now we just have to wait for someone to make a comment, and then hope that the profile isn't logged in private.

I don't think a memento Life Invader account for Roman would be made.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

I don't think Roman's cab company will still be named after him if he isn't around to boss anyone around either.

So, yeah. In any case, the 'revenge' path always seemed more natural and fitting in GTA IV, even if the 'deal' path had its fair share of cinematic value.

• lilchris131 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

It's funny how it was referred to as "Roman's Taxi Company" or whatever in GTA 5. especially seeing as it wasn't called that in GTA 4. It was "Express Car Service" IIRC

• Niko Montana likes this

Lazor Guns
  • Lazor Guns

Masked Felon

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

It's funny how it was referred to as "Roman's Taxi Company" or whatever in GTA 5. especially seeing as it wasn't called that in GTA 4. It was "Express Car Service" IIRC

It's easily possible that either Niko or Mallorie inherited the company and named it in his honor.

• TheRealCMPUNKFan likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's easily possible that either Niko or Mallorie inherited the company and named it in his honor.

That's always a thought. I'm not sure how common that is, though. Down here, they rarely name stuff from the first name. It's almost always the last name unless it's some exception, like "Tyrone's Plumbing" or "Tyrone's Pipe-fitting", even though they're the same thing.

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

I've always felt that the Deal Ending is the canon ending for two reasons:

1. Despite what option Niko chose with Darko, he realised that Revenge wasn't really the answer and began to re-think his moral code.
2. Well you have two endings. One where a guy who has been trying to kill you for most of the story goes out of his way to kill your closest family member, ending with you killing him at the end. Or having a mob boss, who isn't present until about 3/4 through the story, which YOU technically backstabbed kill a girl you barely even know. Which one sounds like a more fitting ending?
  • ngcLink00 likes this

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

revenge is more satisfying but deal is more tragic. Which one you prefer I suppose is down to the player.

Vanto
  • Vanto

Ghetto Star

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well, I can't say this is canon because is just easter egg, but I shared it because lot of people saw this and didn't think of Roman's Life Invader profile.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Since we don't have much information about Niko in the main game and these we got are rather cloudy we can say it's just an easter egg. One thing is sure, we don't know anything past the ending of the IV (Niko may be even dead). 

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I've always felt that the Deal Ending is the canon ending for two reasons:

1. Despite what option Niko chose with Darko, he realised that Revenge wasn't really the answer and began to re-think his moral code.

Whoa, I've actually never made the connection/link with the Darko aftermath before.

Nice! Putting it this way, I agree.

revenge is more satisfying but deal is more tragic. Which one you prefer I suppose is down to the player.

Both endings were equally tragic in my opinion. The Deal ending only appeared a lot more grim due to the pacing and visual setting it presented; first Dimitri's betrayal at the docks, then the accidental killing of Roman coupled with the dramatic angle shots of Niko continuing gunning at the hitman's corpse, and the final Liberty Island scene depicted under the heavy rain, rather than Revenge's orange sunset.

But whereas the Revenge ending lacked in visual grittiness, it did had its fair share of emotional toll with it. Killing Dimitri may have proved to be epic, but the game makes it clear that the ruthless violence that just occurred may not have been all that glorifying, the use of thee empty ship halls Niko had to take before exiting the boat -the same he used to enter Liberty in the first place if I recall- accompanied with the heavy 'ringing' sound effect of the ship's haul, was at times unbearable, and you could feel the weight that goes through Niko's feelings.

Niko's relationship with Kate is based on the player's choice of whether to hang out with this person often or not at all. So for those who did hang out with Kate often, particularly to hear the conversations she has with Niko, which were increasingly full of suggestions that she 'may' just be a sign of hopeful future in Niko's life, then in her final scene, you could severely empathize with Niko's breakdown, and the ensuing gun fight is an extension of this emotional wreckage.

But most noteworthy also is that both endings followed this same idea and carry the same final line, which is the same title of the trophy/achievement earned on completion: "You won!"

Both endings mocked/debated the specifics of what it means to be truly successful, to have 'won' and 'triumphed', in this criminal underworld.

Depending on the ending, it is either Jacob or Roman who delivers the line, but Niko remains silent on both occasion. He walks away in Revenge, and in Deal he looks at Jacob with a unsatisfied/empty look on his face.

Both endings were equally tragic and shared the same philosophy on its final punch line.

The 'satisfaction' from either endings comes from how the player empathized with the precedent events; for example to the players who felt Kate was this 'barely known' person, then naturally they will empathize with the Deal ending more.

But regardless of 'who dies when and how', and of the participants of the final scene, the final line and message of the story remains the same.

Question remains though, as to whether Rockstar intended to have the choice of Deal and Revenge since the beginning, or was it down to a writer's block of simply liking both methods of outcome and didn't knew which to keep and which to scrap.

It is mostly the fact that both final levels are near identical that tips me off on this matter. As if the writers and designers liked both outcomes equally, and yet couldn't implement both at the same time.

• Sibbs likes this

Vanto
  • Vanto

Ghetto Star

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

We could look for Kate McReary things. Packie could say something while on a heist of GTAV.

kvic
  • kvic

Grand PooBar

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

So in GTAV, lots of people found some references about Niko, and one of them is very interesting. On the Niko's LifeInvader page easter egg, he has Roman as a friend, even as a family member. LifeInvader was founded in 2009 (after GTA IV's story) because it doesn't appear in GTA IV. So, why would Roman have a Life Invader profile if he died? Here's the photo of Niko's page:

maxresdefault.jpg

Because the people who made 5 never played 4 ?????

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

revenge is canon I thought that was made pretty clear

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

No, it's not. Both endings have the same possibility and till anything will be confirmed or denied they will keep it.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

People die all the time and still have Facebook accounts that family members either cannot delete or the company will not take them down.

Vanto
  • Vanto

Ghetto Star

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

People die all the time and still have Facebook accounts that family members either cannot delete or the company will not take them down.

Yeah, I know, but Life Invader was founded after GTA IV's time.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

So his account was created for memory sake by Brucie, it's plausible.

Point of this topic still remains though; yes, pointing out that LifeInvader is only founded after the events of IV was a correct statement.

The rest of it is still ... well , up to our interpretation.

Just look at the different opinions listed on this very topic. I doubt Rockstar would want to suddenly drop 'only one of the two ends were canon'.

Or, they're too scared to do so.

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

About the Darko thing, here are a few things to consider: Killing Darko wouldn't significantly change Niko's life, but Dimitri was a treath to him. And Darko would suffer more living, while Dimitri didn't want to die.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Big Homie

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

I would say revenge is "60%" canon.

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:00 PM Edited by 2281, 25 November 2013 - 10:00 PM.

Yeah, I know, but Life Invader was founded after GTA IV's time.

Being a parody of Facebook, it's possible that LifeInvader has been around much longer but only picked up popularity in 2009. 

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

This is how I see it,

Since GTA falls under the category of 'non-linear gameplay', there are an infinite number of parallel universes in existence, any of which can be created by anyone who owns a GTA game. This comes from both little things like the order in which we play the missions to the choices we are able to make in the games.

GTA V happens to follow a timeline where Niko chose to kill Dimitri instead of doing the deal and thus Roman survived (and Kate died). It is heavily hinted because of the "Roman's taxi service" reference as well as Roman's Lifeinvader page.
  • ObsydianRaven and WhiteLines like this

Lazor Guns
  • Lazor Guns

Masked Felon

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

This is how I see it,

Since GTA falls under the category of 'non-linear gameplay', there are an infinite number of parallel universes in existence, any of which can be created by anyone who owns a GTA game. This comes from both little things like the order in which we play the missions to the choices we are able to make in the games.

GTA V happens to follow a timeline where Niko chose to kill Dimitri instead of doing the deal and thus Roman survived (and Kate died). It is heavily hinted because of the "Roman's taxi service" reference as well as Roman's Lifeinvader page.

1. "Roman's Taxi Service" could have been easily inherited by Niko or Mallorie and named in his honor.

2. That's just an easter egg, which shouldn't be considered canon.

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

Alright then, GTA V *might* follow timelines where Revenge ending is canon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users