137 replies to this topic
The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

tl;dr

i knew some asshat was going to say that. 

Ending A and B make no sense because Either devin or haines would still want the other protag dead

This.

Also, here's my OBJECTION post, 

while it's true that, Franklin and Trevor shook hands when they first met,

and that Michael and Franklin were meant to drink a beer,

Do you really expect Franklin or Trevor to ask the other guy for a beer in a situation where they were meant to do a job for the FIB??

I don't think that Franklin would cap Trevor either, he helped him out in some situations, they were friendly, they just didn't know eachother so well. Also, Franklin expected Michael to find him a new job, that is the only reason he went to Michael's house. He wasn't exactly over there for 'Beer'.

Now, that you said 'How can they proceed with normal lives with Merryweather, Chinese mobsters and Ballas on their asses?'

Well, you see, Merryweather's reputation gets a lot of negativity and they lose their permission to 'protect the country',

The Ballas wouldn't give so much sh*t considering many things like that happen in the gangs, Stretch wasn't a high-ranked, member so he's just a lost Homie to them,

And the Chinese, well, you take down the boss and have a chance to take down his son, not to mention that you can even just kill everyone with sticky bombs and then kill his son and disappear with no evidence of who killed him.

The boss was down, his goons are powerless.

TL'DR: Endings A and B are pig sh*t.

But wouldn't the Chinese have more people in their gang than just the peple in the cars? i'd imagine it would be a large gang, considering the amount of people you killed in "Fresh Meat" And the 2nd most high ranking member usually moves on to become the leader. 

I felt like Trevor and Franklins bond was quite stale compared to Michaels and Franklin. Also, after all the trouble Trevor was creating, and considering that Michael and Trevor were long friends and Franklin was new one he didn't get to know too well, Franklin could cap Trevor without hesitation. 

Also, Devin wouldn't kill Franklin just because he wanted Trevor dead. It was not a forced job. Unlike the FIB missions where most of them were Steve threatening the trio asking them to do jobs for them. 

I have a bone to pick with your statement regarding Trevor being the one endangering Michael's family in the story. Devin Weston owns stock in Merryweather, and Michael made a fool of Weston through the movie fiasco and the loss of Molly. Trevor's interfering with Merryweather's business of course wouldn't help the situation. Merryweather is a private army- perhaps a better description is mercenaries, who are private soldier with no official affiliation with anyone but themselves. soldiers to the highest bidder. hence, without Trevor, an attack on Michael by them is still very much feasible. As for ending C, the explanation I would come up with is simply the losses Merryweather incurs would not be worth pursuing them further. The cost outweighs the benefits in that case. Economics.

Spoiler
That, combined with the catastrophic losses incurred is a logical enough reason for me for Merryweather to stop pursuing the protagonists. If any of these endings could be considered canon, C has the best shot. It does what it can to tie up loose ends (though they could have done it more masterfully) as well as allowing the player to continue to work towards 100% completion.

I would of accepted C as the canon ending if they were multiple missions. 

If Merryweather didn't want to pursue the trio any further, they wouldn't of stopped just because of some shootout. Maybe if they intruded or destroyed their base they would of let them go, but not because of a shootout with approximately the same amount of dead Merryweather soilders as any other Merryweather related mission. 

I guess you're right about the first statement. But it was just an example. 

...waiting for the gas to ignite and setting him ablaze by either Franklin or Michael. Afterwards Michael and Trevor have a deep chat for a minute or so.

Really? Trevor has a deep chat with Michael after he is lit on fire?  :panic:

I always get the trio names mixed up. :p

I always thought option C was the cannon one. I mean, it had it's own artwork. I haven't seen artwork for Trevor waddling about in gasoline or Michael falling off a water tower

Fair enough, but I feel that artwork was made because R* needed insipration for a trio artwork.

To sum it up:

C: Happy, but flawed ending

B: Sad and unjustified ending.

A: Sad, but reasonable ending. 

Remember people: This isn't about which ending you liked most. It's about the canon one. C isn't canon just because you wanted all 3 characters to survive. 

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:26 PM Edited by ll rdny ll, 22 November 2013 - 12:35 PM.

It doesn't come down to what we think is the logical one.
Its about objectives. The fact that you are still given a choice, even after you have made your choice, proves that.

Kill Trevor, you don't have to pull the trigger.
Kill Michael, you can try to save him.
The missions may end the way they were scripted, but you are strongly urged not to do either.

That and the only requirements for getting gold, are kill X.

The canon ending is C, for all the reasons I listed.
Trevor could have killed Michael anytime, but he didn't.
Michael could have had Trevor killed, but never did.

The story is about friendship, and repairing ties you've severed.

You can't say C isn't right because of the plot holes.
Early in the game Lester says he knows Michael didn't give the feds any info on Lester. But later, the FiB suddenly knows everything about lester, and he's completely fine working for them.

Plot holes are everywhere if you look hard enough.

Edit:
About the whole Merryweather thing. Merryweather, are mercenaries, they work for whoever pays them. In taking out Weston, you are killing the person who got so many of their 'soldiers' killed.

Many members of the FiB and IAA wanted Haines taken out. In an agency that is so corrupt, its not outside the realm of possibility that they wouldn't look too hard for the killer of the man who had been causing so many of their problems.
  • KingKock likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

To sum it up:

Remember people: This isn't about which ending you liked most. It's about the canon one. C isn't canon just because you wanted all 3 characters to survive. 

And A isn't canon because you decided it made most sense to you. 

There's different endings, none of them are canon. And, plus, right, who really cares which is canon? 

• hbkfc23, Mr. Sleepy and jptawok like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

To sum it up:

And A isn't canon because you decided it made most sense to you. 

There's different endings, none of them are canon. And, plus, right, who really cares which is canon? 

But that's the point to canon endings. they are the ending that make the most sense in a real life or even movie situation.

And it's nice to discuss canon endings because after a game ends you wonder which ending would most likely be canon. 

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

I don't get how you guys can argue which ending is canon trying to use logic when most of the game made absolutely no sense? I mean for me, Option C is the ending I liked most. After everything Michael, Trevor and Franklin had been through, including the final heist, I doubt Franklin would suddenly turn and kill either of them.

CsDaKillah
  • CsDaKillah

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

I picked C instantly who the F would want to kill the other characters, the point of the game is to have the new feature of playing 3 characters, duh!

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:32 PM Edited by Hooves07, 22 November 2013 - 03:33 PM.

These topics...what is this the fourth one?

None the less beside all you points there is one MAJOR FLAW.

Franklin, his character is loyal to a fault (Look at the Lamar situation)

He would NEVER side with Haines or Weston against Michael or Trevor. If he did it would make him the biggest rat in GTA history, be completely out of character and make him as bad as Michael as far as sellouts go. At least Michael redeemed himself to Trevor and his family by endgame IMO.

Geez...Haines and Weston...it's sad how many people here would acually choose their side.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

I picked C instantly who the F would want to kill the other characters, the point of the game is to have the new feature of playing 3 characters, duh!

You completely missed the point.

Mayaku
  • Mayaku

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

Roman's Cab Company is mentioned by Franklins cousin in LC.

Packie flew out to SA, which makes more sense if Kate was gone, because he has nothing left in LC.

Maybe we'll actually find out what the canon ending is in the NEXT GTA depending on how things unfold there.

I think A and B had more emotional endings, and tried to play on how the neutral character (Franklin & us-the player) felt about the others. 

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

You completely missed the point.

I think you miss the point.

You actually refer to Trevor as a deadbeat alcoholic, when he is easily the most ambitious of the lot. TP Enterprises Incorporated...psychotic yes...deadbeat no.

Your opinion...fine. A is great for you and fits. Wonderful!

A matter of fact and "canon". No way, you are so way off.

There is likely no "canon" as we are not likely going to see any protag expansions.

And I am sure this will be the last of Michael, Trevor and Franklin.

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Packie flew out to SA, which makes more sense if Kate was gone, because he has nothing left in LC.

Maybe we'll actually find out what the canon ending is in the NEXT GTA depending on how things unfold there.

I think A and B had more emotional endings, and tried to play on how the neutral character (Franklin & us-the player) felt about the others. 

Next GTA will more than likely be NEXT GEN so, according to R* it's time for a new "universe".

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Fair enough, but I feel that artwork was made because R* needed insipration for a trio artwork.

To sum it up:

It also isn't canon because you say so and it doesn't make the most sense because you say so. 

The way I'd sum it up:

C: The true ending based on how it fits the hollywood action movie feel of the game and its story. 

B: The sadder but more likely sad ending because it goes full circle with Franklin and Michael.

A: The sad and unreasonable ending that takes everyone out of character to pretend this is GTA IV again out of nowhere. 

GTA V is not a serious crime drama. It has serious elements to it but it also is very over-the-top to the point of being ridiculous sometimes. I can't look at it without feeling like I'm watching a silly hollywood movie. They weren't all comedic but they were over-the-top and unrealistic just like GTA V. Ending C is the only one that fits because of that alone. 

HOWEVER there is no true canon to any of the endings. You have your view on the story and I have my view on the story. Neither is 100% correct and neither are 100% inaccurate. For me ending C is canon not because I wanted them to live but because the other two endings made no damn sense in the context of the game. 

Why would anyone rename Roman's cab company? It most likely fell to Niko and/or Mallorie to run the place from that point on, so why would they change it? 

Packie also said he wouldn't leave his Ma. Kate is likely alive because someone has to take care of Ma. 

Really, this stuff is all subjective and isn't proof of any ending. I interpret it one way, you interpret it another. No true canon. 

Yakito
  • Yakito

Peon

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

Honestly? I did not enjoy the ending.
I picked C, I didn't replay to watch my teammates die, I'd hate that.

Anyway, the story was so poor that I didn't even remember the names of the bad guys when I was killing them.

Stretch? I had no idea who this dude was. I kinda know who the FIB guys were, but I couldn't tell which one was which out of the two rich assholes.
So... the bad guys were boring as f*ck. Not even close to what I remember from IV or San Andreas. The Police man was an epic douchebag that couldn't be forgotten.
Same with a few IV bad guys.
But not V... No no no. I barely remember anybody from this story at all

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

Why can't people accept that there is one basic flaw with this kind of ''choose your ending'' story.. that there IS NO CANNON. That's why I hate this in IV or V. There is no cannon and that's the only fact. They either didn't think any of the endings was adequate enough, or didn't have the courage.. whatever the reasons is, they decided to let player choose what happened which automatically means they will never worry about those events again.

3D era GTA's had a firm story and there were no issues like this. But this topic is pretty much pointless as no one can prove one or the other ending is cannon when there is simply no cannon. It's all possible in V and they will avoid these protags and events in further GTA's and that's it.

• Hooves07 likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

Really fair points, op, but you forgot something: why the hell would Trevor run from Franklin?
Do you remember all the extremely hardcore missions he has done by himself? It doesn't make sense that after all that sh*t he would just run away from a single guy with a pistol.
No, he wouldn't get emotional with Frank. As you said, they weren't as close as they both were with Mike.
And don't tell me Frank took Trevor by suprise. T already suspects something strange once he is about to get out of the truck. Instead of running away, he would be already pointing at Frank with a sawed off right at the moment he notices something is not right.

So all endings make no sense in some aspects, making all of them equally canon.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:54 PM Edited by Xerukal, 22 November 2013 - 06:55 PM.

Isn't it obvious, lads?

C is for Canon.

d22157040a.jpg

• Hooves07 likes this

llllllllllllllll
  • llllllllllllllll

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

All endings are bullsh*t. 

But ending A is most likely. 

Of course I chose ending C just not to lose any protagonist. Anyone who chooses different must be insane. But A is still most likely to happen. 

Ending B is just poorly executed and feels totally wrong and stupid. 

Ending C is a Hollywood happy end which makes most part of the game obsolete. 

We kill everyone like it wouldn't have been an option earlier. 

Right the second or third time we met Weston and Haines we coulda popped them. But no. 

GTA V's storyline is very poor.

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Facade Corporation
  • Finland

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

I consider C to be canon. The other endings don't really do Haines and Weston justice - geez, the antagonists just need to be killed, that's, like, a rule. D:

There are obviously some games that make an exception, but those games don't feel very complete either.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Has any one considered that there may have been a fourth ending? Just that no one has found the pre-requisite to trigger it yet?

Spoiler

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:06 AM

To sum it up:

It also isn't canon because you say so and it doesn't make the most sense because you say so. 

The way I'd sum it up:

C: The true ending based on how it fits the hollywood action movie feel of the game and its story. 
B: The sadder but more likely sad ending because it goes full circle with Franklin and Michael.
A: The sad and unreasonable ending that takes everyone out of character to pretend this is GTA IV again out of nowhere. 

GTA V is not a serious crime drama. It has serious elements to it but it also is very over-the-top to the point of being ridiculous sometimes. I can't look at it without feeling like I'm watching a silly hollywood movie. They weren't all comedic but they were over-the-top and unrealistic just like GTA V. Ending C is the only one that fits because of that alone. 

HOWEVER there is no true canon to any of the endings. You have your view on the story and I have my view on the story. Neither is 100% correct and neither are 100% inaccurate. For me ending C is canon not because I wanted them to live but because the other two endings made no damn sense in the context of the game. 

I never said any of my points were facts. All of this is opinion based, I was just saying C wasn't canon just because all 3 characters survive with no reference to the actual ending.
I think the whole theme of GTA V, if it wasn't executed at such an over the top and humorous tone, is a serious game about betrayal and friendship. I feel as if it has the same theme as Heat.
Also with most heist related movies they usually either cap the snitch or get away in an unrealistic way which is a let down IMO.
All 3 endings can be chosen based on your opinion on how the game is taking its direction.
A and B = a serious direction
C = an unrealistic but heartwarming Hollywood happy ending

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

I never said any of my points were facts. All of this is opinion based, I was just saying C wasn't canon just because all 3 characters survive with no reference to the actual ending.
I think the whole theme of GTA V, if it wasn't executed at such an over the top and humorous tone, is a serious game about betrayal and friendship. I feel as if it has the same theme as Heat.
Also with most heist related movies they usually either cap the snitch or get away in an unrealistic way which is a let down IMO.
All 3 endings can be chosen based on your opinion on how the game is taking its direction.
A and B = a serious direction
C = an unrealistic but heartwarming Hollywood happy ending

Taking out the over-the-top and humorous things in order to determine how the story is, is kinda a flawed way to look at it. It'd be like saying "if you ignore the comedy in Back to the Future it's a serious drama about a guy who gets thrown back in time and has to find his way home." It's manipulating things to be how you want them to be rather than as they are. GTA V got to unrealistic areas long before the ending. 

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

Trevor would pwn Michael and Franklin, if it came down to it.

Rampage skill ftw.

Lazor Guns
  • Lazor Guns

Masked Felon

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:21 AM Edited by NightSpectre, 23 November 2013 - 05:22 AM.

Rampage skill ftw.

Trevor wouldn't get the chance.

Slow down time skill ftw.

• Budweiser Addict likes this

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:13 AM

Rampage skill ftw.

Rampage makes Trevor invincible for the duration. Michael can shoot all he wants, but he won't kill Trevor.

Dnero
  • Dnero

BLΛNKFΛCΞ

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

Rampage skill ftw.

Rampage makes Trevor invincible for the duration. Michael can shoot all he wants, but he won't kill Trevor.

Meanwhile, Franklin got away in his Buffalo. (with his slow mo driving, don't know if that's useful in this situation lol)

Lazor Guns
  • Lazor Guns

Masked Felon

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Rampage skill ftw.

Not if Michael snipes his ass first.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:03 PM Edited by TonyMontanaCDL, 23 November 2013 - 03:04 PM.

Edit:
About the whole Merryweather thing. Merryweather, are mercenaries, they work for whoever pays them. In taking out Weston, you are killing the person who got so many of their 'soldiers' killed.

Many members of the FiB and IAA wanted Haines taken out. In an agency that is so corrupt, its not outside the realm of possibility that they wouldn't look too hard for the killer of the man who had been causing so many of their problems.

Merryweather is a private security contractor that works for the U.S. government. I'm just assuming most of you kids don't have a clue about black ops or the true military industrial complex and how it works. There is corporations like this in real life that no one knows about and they are in Iraq and the middle east fighting oil wars.

One hint, do some research on the private military company called Blackwater, it is real.

Calling them mercenaries is a stretch when they work for the government and military as a contractor. Don't you remember how the military shot down the plane you hijacked from these guys?

It should be common sense that they could pull strings in one agency or the other (or both) to have Trevor knocked off for constantly f*cking with them.

I have to totally agree with the OP. That's possibly the best post I've ever read on this forum and thought out.

• The Odyssey likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Why do you guys think that the most logical ending is the real one? The whole story doesn't make much sense.
It's all about loyalty, that's why I think C is the real ending for me.
A and B are too serious for the story. Really, the only serious and emotional moment was in Bury the Hatchet. The rest of the game is purely jokes and action and stuff. A and B just don't fit, like, at all. C is waaay too happy and unrealistic, that's EXACTLY why it's the real ending in my opinion.

seanforever
  • seanforever

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

ITT: The OP accidentally picked ending A and he is butthurt he cant play as trevor ever again

A and B are just shallow and unsatisfying. After stealing 30 million dollars with these guys, Franklin suddenly becomes Agent 47 and takes out M or T indiscriminately, for NO reason. Read: There is not enough built up 'pressure' on him by either the FIB or Devin to warrant being forced to take them out. it doesn't even make sense really, after a 30 second conversation with both you're now forced to do it? Bs...

Ending C is just so magnificent and utterly joyous. 

twc97
  • twc97

Herbalistic

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

ITT: The OP accidentally picked ending A and he is butthurt he cant play as trevor ever again

A and B are just shallow and unsatisfying. After stealing 30 million dollars with these guys, Franklin suddenly becomes Agent 47 and takes out M or T indiscriminately, for NO reason. Read: There is not enough built up 'pressure' on him by either the FIB or Devin to warrant being forced to take them out. it doesn't even make sense really, after a 30 second conversation with both you're now forced to do it? Bs...

Ending C is just so magnificent and utterly joyous. 

I completely agree. Agent 47 lmfao nice analogy , i miss hitman. I did kind of like ending A i could consider it official. C is in my eyes the obvious way R* ment to be ended , so IMO C is the canon. B not only made zero sense , but it really hurt man. Micheal is so happy , finally on top and even gives frank chances to not kill him while on the tower. really sad IMHO. A was sad as well but it made more sense , Trev was the weakest link and wasnt on greatest terms with neither Mikey or Franky. they are all there as an option , i see , as part of R*s developed character bonding. Really hits hard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users