Ending A was Canon [SPOILERS]

137 replies to this topic
The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

All 3 of GTA V's endings suffered from a dose of laziness. None of them seemed to stand out compared to Vice City or San Andreas. Except for A. Which is in my opinion, the best and canon ending in GTA V.

First off, let me start by saying I picked C because I wanted every character to survive, not because it was the best one (in fact it was the worst, but I'll get to that in a moment.

Throughout the game, Trevor was always the weak link. He was the main reason the FIB was in Michaels ass for half the game. He was the reason why Merryweather was such a big threat throughout the story. He was the reason Michaels family was almost killed. If Michael and Franklin had the guts, Trevor would be 6 ft under long ago.

Lets put this into perspective. When we're introduced to Franklin, we see a young and ambitious street hustler making the most out of his life. When we're introduced to Michael, we see a successful and rich family man. When we're introduced to Trevor, we see a deadbeat alcoholic that lives in a trailer. Which one seems to have the least to lose? Trevor even admits to having a worthless life. In "Bury the Hatchet" we can see Trevor being suicidal, asking Michael to pull the trigger on him when he finds out one of the only people who care about him is dead. We also see him breaking down when he has Patricia stripped away from him and finds out his Mum was only a part of his imagination.

I feel like the 3 endings have a similar style to "Blood Brothers" in GTA IV. You clip the useless druggie, or the double crossing yet successful man. No matter how much you dislike a man, the influence he has plays a greater role than how much of a dick he is. Would you assassinate the president because you thought he was a dick?

In the final mission we see Devin pressuring us to kill Michael. Now, let me ask you this. Who had the stronger bond? Trevor and Franklin, or Franklin and Michael? To be honest I didn't see much bonding between Trevor and Franklin at all. When Michael and Franklin first meet, we see Michael rise out of the backseat pointing a gun at Franklins temple, forcing him to drive through his bosses window. We then see them meet up for a beer, only to be interrupted by Jimmy's antics where they must work together for the first time. When Trevor and Franklin first meet, they shake hands. Who do you think has the stronger bond? Also note that Devin Weston, ONE rich scumbag is asking you to kill Michael. The FIB, a whole government agency, is asking you to kill Trevor. It wouldn't really be a hard decision if you ask me.

Now lets run through the endings. Ending B is where you kill Michael. Now this is a plain dick move right here. Coming from the fact that Devin never even payed you for risking your life to steal a couple of cars. (Same could go for the FIB, but just because one douchebag government agent told you to doesn't mean the rest of the FIB agrees with him) I mentioned before that Michael and Franklin have a special bond. It just doesn't make sense for a friendship like that to end so abruptly. When Franklin is about to kill Michael he has the option of dropping him off the edge or pulling him up. If you pull him up he still jumps down for some reason. After Michael is killed, Franklin walks away, talking on his phone for 10 seconds, then the credits roll.

Ending C means all 3 protagonists survive - Hurrah! Too bad it's one of the most plot hole ridden, rushed and boring endings in GTA. We first see Trevor and Michael arguing (Wow what a suprise) and they invite the rest of the Merryweather crew to their party so they can kill the rest of them off - wait what? I thought Merryweather was a huge private army? How they hell can they kill off a damn private army? After that, Trevor Frank and Mikey have one last conference. They tie up all loose ends. IN ONE GOD DAMN MISSION. They decide to kill off everyone that would get in their way. So you kill off some Asian bloke who lead this gang and also kidnapped Michael, too bad this wasn't used for a seperate mission where you could have a Chinese gang war or something. That stretch dude from the warehouse shootout, also had great potential for a gang war related mission, Steve Haines, one of the weakest antagonists in GTA history, and finally we kidnap Devin, take him beside a cliff where we watch the sunset peak over the horizon and finally push him off the edge. You know, I don't really mind that final scene, it's quite badass. But after you kill a government agent, a gangster surrounded by bloodthirsty ballers, and an Asian gang leader without a scratch in less than 2 hours (game time) , and then proceed to live a normal life afterwards with nobody on your tail or wanting to kill you, it doesn't really make much sense.

Now, for the canon ending. In this mission you chase Trevor until he skids into a gas tank where he falls out and lies in a pool of gas, waiting for the gas to ignite and setting him ablaze by either Franklin or Michael. Afterwards Michael and Trevor have a deep chat for a minute or so. You see, this ending has a moral. Your can distinguish who your true friends are just by the bond you have and not by how long you've known each other. You also might need to sacrifice those who don't have much to lose to save yourself and your loved ones.

So those are my thoughts on the endings of GTA V. What do you think?

TL;DR: Ending A is canon and the other 2 are horse sh*t.
  • Blingy, shadyslady, universetwisters and 12 others like this

randombeens
  • randombeens

Be more Dog

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

a valid point but i went with "C" cuz i 4king luv that psyco & cuz he no longer lives in a trailer he got the strip club now, that man amounted! :D

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Ending A can't be canon because the Multiplayer is set a few months after the main storyline and Trevor is still alive.

Pelle
  • Pelle

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Ending A can't be canon because the Multiplayer is set a few months after the main storyline and Trevor is still alive.

it's set before the storyline

• fac316, SM Grunge and thegrac like this

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

I think it's set before the events of the storyline, I'm not sure, I may be incorrect.

sukmieazz
  • sukmieazz

Put out to pasture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:50 AM Edited by Sasqui, 21 November 2013 - 11:53 AM.

A is what every real person would do, but C is the picture perfect movie ending: the good guys win, their worries are gone, and they ride off into the sunset.
B is just a dick move.
  • fac316 likes this

sukmieazz
  • sukmieazz

Put out to pasture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Multiplayer is set before, during, and after the main storyline. C is canon because on the radio they mention Steve Haines was assassinated and such.
  • _Kindled_ likes this

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homie

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:53 AM Edited by darkdayz, 21 November 2013 - 11:54 AM.

Everything that happens online is before the single player storyline and only before. If you want proof, go to Frankling high end apartment. None of his stuff is there.

• fac316 likes this

sukmieazz
  • sukmieazz

Put out to pasture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

Everything that happens online is before the single player storyline and only before. If you want proof, go to Frankling high end apartment. None of his stuff is there.
Probably just an oversight. Listen to the radio as you progress through online and you'll hear of happenings that occurred in the main storyline.

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

A is what every real person would do, but C is the picture perfect movie ending: the good guys win, their worries are gone, and they ride off into the sunset.
B is just a dick move.

Yep, B is my least liked ending.

Bleep*
  • Bleep*

General

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

I agree killing T is the most satisfying ending story-wise. It was emotional, everybody was sad afterwards. Whereas killing Michael it's like nobody even cared about him post-story (nobody calls and Trevor/Frank don't talk about him). But it's a decent end end cause Franklin surpasses the one who took him under his wing (sort of).

Bleep*
  • Bleep*

General

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:13 PM Edited by Bleep*, 21 November 2013 - 12:15 PM.

Probably just an oversight. Listen to the radio as you progress through online and you'll hear of happenings that occurred in the main storyline.

Really? That's cool. I'm over lvl 50 and I haven't heard anything as far as I can remember. Matter of fact I don't think I've ever heard the news online

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

you know how it is man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

lol GTAO is before, hence why Martin asks you to kill witnesses and whatnot, otherwise you wouldn't see Trevor so down and unsuccessful in his trailer, and if it was set afterwards it'd make ending A pointless seeing as he didn't really die, IF online was set after.

sukmieazz
  • sukmieazz

Put out to pasture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Really? That's cool. I'm over lvl 50 and I haven't heard anything as far as I can remember. Matter of fact I don't think I've ever heard the news online
That's what I heard from a few people, at least. I don't play online. I seldom hear the news even in SP, though.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

I've only ever picked C, haven't seen what happens after the A and B endings. 

What happens after? Are there missions like 'Mrs Phillips'?

I'd assumed C was the canon ending, as it kept all characters and there was some follow up for Trevor. So the ending where he's offed can't be canon. 

Please advise. 

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

To be honest, whether Online is set before of after the story, it's non-canon overall anyway. And with the endings, they're exactly like the two endings from IV, neither is canon since it would just make one decision less valid than another.
  • Drake1212 likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:00 PM Edited by The Odyssey, 21 November 2013 - 01:00 PM.

I'd assumed C was the canon ending, as it kept all characters and there was some follow up for Trevor. So the ending where he's offed can't be canon. 

Please advise.

No, you never get to play as Trevor again after he is killed off. Same as Michael.
Also, that doesn't really work that way. A canon ending is the ending that would apply as the proper ending. Nothing to do with side missions and whatnot.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Please advise.

No, you never get to play as Trevor again after he is killed off. Same as Michael.
Also, that doesn't really work that way. A canon ending is the ending that would apply as the proper ending. Nothing to do with side missions and whatnot.

Yeah, I understand that. So why is there a mission that follows on directly after you complete ending C, which shifts you to Trevor automatically, as far as I can recall, that sends you to meet his mother?

If he dies, do you get switched to Michael and have a similar follow up? If Michael dies, do you get to play the Mrs Phillips mission? If Michael dies, do you get a follow up mission for Franklin?

I think you might have missed my point, there. 

OGCFB
  • OGCFB

Emperor Eye

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

To be honest, whether Online is set before of after the story, it's non-canon overall anyway. And with the endings, they're exactly like the two endings from IV, neither is canon since it would just make one decision less valid than another.

Except the ending where Roman lives is cannon, because he is alive during V.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Please advise.

Yeah, I understand that. So why is there a mission that follows on directly after you complete ending C, which shifts you to Trevor automatically, as far as I can recall, that sends you to meet his mother?

If he dies, do you get switched to Michael and have a similar follow up? If ######, do you get to play the Mrs Phillips mission? If ######, do you get a follow up mission for Franklin?

The Mrs. Phillips mission is optional. It's just a regular side mission.

[ÁT]
  • [ÁT]

The Sword Swingin' Surgeon

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Depending how you interpret Franklin (he's doesn't an easily definitive personality and his actions and motivations are sketchy) ending B is valid too I think. It's possible Frank didn't give a f*ck about Trevor or Michael and just used them for his own gain. Got tired of being Michael's lapdog and was pissed at him for supporting Devin in investing the money he was supposed to get for his work so he offed him. Trevor was never really important to Franklin.. that's how I see it at least. Depending on how you interpret Frank and his motivations and play him, all endings make sense but A and B are more believable.

Pepperjack
  • Pepperjack

Reasonably

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Ending A and B make no sense because Either devin or haines would still want the other protag dead

• hbkfc23 likes this

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Please advise.

If he dies, do you get switched to Michael and have a similar follow up? If ######, do you get to play the Mrs Phillips mission? If ######, do you get a follow up mission for Franklin?

Certain missions such as Mrs. Phillips can only be triggered by certain protagonists, if you chose Ending A and left some of Trevor's side-missions uncompleted, you would never be able to do them again, thus resulting in you unable to 100% your game. However, some side-missions are not a requirement for 100% completion.

Spoiler

[ÁT]
  • [ÁT]

The Sword Swingin' Surgeon

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

*doesnt have.. prolly more mistakes but I can't edit on PS3 sorry

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

I still think my point is being missed. 

If ending C isn't canon, why did they make side missions that appear after completing the story for characters that can, potentially, die? 

Are there other after-story side missions when choosing the other endings? I don't care about them being side missions and not story related, the point is they're happening after the story, when a character could/should be dead.

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

It does not matter which one is the canon, we'll probably never know about this, maybe we will, in the next iteration.

The side-missions that appear after completing the story are there because your character is able to do them. Unlike other endings in which your character ends up dead and you can't play as him, so the game automatically removes their side-missions.

As for the "other after-story missions" I have no idea.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

Unlike other endings in which your character ends up dead and you can't play as him, so the game automatically removes their side-missions.

Yes, that's obvious. I mean for the other characters. As far as I am aware, Trevor is the only character that gets one that can only be done after everything else is completed. So that makes me think he is supposed to survive.

The4orTy67
  • The4orTy67

Spieler Hasser

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

The story doesn't make much sense.

/Thread

Closed.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:35 PM Edited by The Odyssey, 21 November 2013 - 01:37 PM.

I still think my point is being missed. 

If ending C isn't canon, why did they make side missions that appear after completing the story for characters that can, potentially, die? 

Are there other after-story side missions when choosing the other endings? I don't care about them being side missions and not story related, the point is they're happening after the story, when a character could/should be dead.

I still don't believe that mean anything significant.
If you pick ending A or B, side missions by Trevor or Michael are not required for 100%. If a character is dead, that means that those side missions don't exist. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say to be honest.
Edit: Just read your above comment. Certain side missions are unlocked throughout the game, that certain one is just unlocked after the story is completed and Trevor survives.

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Unlike other endings in which your character ends up dead and you can't play as him, so the game automatically removes their side-missions.

Yes, that's obvious. I mean for the other characters. As far as I am aware, Trevor is the only character that gets one that can only be done after everything else is completed. So that makes me think he is supposed to survive.

Franklin also gets the mission

Spoiler
after the story is completed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users