Photo

Idea... Impromptu Auto Shows

13 replies to this topic
Ambulo
  • Ambulo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Lots of us have a few purpose-built cars for races and missions, and a few in the stable just for showing off.

It would be cool off there was an incentive to collect unique and attractive cars to put on display.

What if there were occasional markers dropped on the map for impromptu auto shows for random classes of vehicles?

Basically, all players would get a text to bring XXX class of vehicle to a location on the map. When you get there, your car gets entered into a contest who's winner is determined partly by the game itself, based on the condition your car comes in. And the rest is determined by vote.

All players in the server can attend, and anyone who casts a vote gets an RP bonus to encourage participation. Of course, the winners get a cash reward as well.

Maybe even set it up so that winning cars have a chance to be uploaded into the Snapmatic screensaver on Rockstar's website.

What do you think? It would encourage people to acquire unique cars, since the competition would be very stiff with those that are most popular.
  • The Hippie, arziben, Tokin and 2 others like this

CenMan
  • CenMan

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

Sounds like a great idea. I love ringing the bell on people's garages and seeing what they have in there.

Black Rabbit
  • Black Rabbit

Owsla

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Sounds like a great random event. Must add that you can't vote for your own car though (because, you know, douches). 

I would love a wreath of roses to display on the hood of a car post win :)

Ambulo
  • Ambulo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

Thanks!

Yea, I guess you'd have to stop folks from voting on their own stuff....

But I figure these instances could pop up in parking garages, on the beach, anyplace with space for the cars...People could walk around from car to car for maybe 2 minutes or less, cast their votes, and just shoot the sh*t while they wait for the results.

I just think there needs to be more in this game that lets you show off, you know?

Right now, driving around and showing off is just going to get you shot or blown up.  I have to come here to admire people's cars because in game their flying by so fast just to keep from getting griefed.

Zanje
  • Zanje

Stand up guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

why cant you just set something like this up as players? would the incentive not be to show off the ride your proud of and see the creations of other players? seems it would simply be a waste of resources for something you can already set up via a forum or whatever.

Ambulo
  • Ambulo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

why cant you just set something like this up as players? would the incentive not be to show off the ride your proud of and see the creations of other players? seems it would simply be a waste of resources for something you can already set up via a forum or whatever.

Thanks for the reply.

No reason you can't, I don't think.  But I'm not talking about a one-off private event that you shell out your own cash to host.  I'm talking about an "Activity" that nets you some RP and (for the winner(s)) cash.  Something that helps people to be a little more social to balance out the anti-social behavior that you can enjoy with the rest of the game.

Can you explain what you mean by a waste of resources?

Zanje
  • Zanje

Stand up guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:17 AM Edited by Zanje, 21 November 2013 - 12:17 AM.

because the time spent coding and developing this random auto show could go towards something else that cant be easily set up by the users themselves, say your bike delivery activity idea for instance.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

More Dakka Is Never Enough

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:18 AM Edited by JohnGazman, 21 November 2013 - 12:20 AM.

What do you think? It would encourage people to acquire unique cars, since the competition would be very stiff with those that are most popular.

Major issue - doesn't sound very criminal. Would have to be an event akin to Golf and Arm Wrestling.

Also, I use all of my cars when doing missions, races and just driving around. Why put something in your garage if you're not going to drive it? I drive my Stinger GT around in crowded lobbies without fear of someone trashing it - if they do, just drive it back to my garage and it's repaired for free.

If they blow it up, it's their money they're wasting.

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

I am an advocate of impromptu racing, I believe it would be great if, even though one wins the race, to be disqualified for too much external damage. In other words, if you trash your car just to get to the finish line, it defeats the purpose of proving driving skill.

Ambulo
  • Ambulo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

because the time spent coding and developing this random auto show could go towards something else that cant be easily set up by the users themselves, say your bike delivery activity idea for instance.

Gotcha...I'm not sure how easy it is to set up in a public server, cause of the other players trying to kill you and whatnot...Plus there's no payout when you do it yourself...But I think I get what you mean.  

Major issue - doesn't sound very criminal. Would have to be an event akin to Golf and Arm Wrestling.

Also, I use all of my cars when doing missions, races and just driving around. Why put something in your garage if you're not going to drive it? I drive my Stinger GT around in crowded lobbies without fear of someone trashing it - if they do, just drive it back to my garage and it's repaired for free.

If they blow it up, it's their money they're wasting.

Yeah, I guess that's kind of the idea.  

Definitely don't want to take anything away from the stuff people love about the game....But in the GTA Online trailer they started off by showing you a bunch of sort of relaxed, living world kind of stuff...Like hiking, Cycling on the Beach, stuff like that.  Some folks would find that terribly boring, but I think there might be some people out there like me that would like the option to take a break from the grind and just admire what we've done with our hard-earned cash.

I don't think there are too many people who avoid driving their custom cars just because they might get them shot up or destroyed, do you?  I'm just saying that you're pretty much the only one that gets to appreciate that beautiful ride you put together, because you're probably zooming by the other players to get on with whatever it is you were trying to do.

It would definitely be more in the line of the Golf or Arm Wrestling.

• CenMan likes this

Ambulo
  • Ambulo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

I am an advocate of impromptu racing, I believe it would be great if, even though one wins the race, to be disqualified for too much external damage. In other words, if you trash your car just to get to the finish line, it defeats the purpose of proving driving skill.

I guess that's a little different than what I'm talking about, but what do you think of some kind of damage RP modifier, or clean race multiplier?

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

I guess that's a little different than what I'm talking about, but what do you think of some kind of damage RP modifier, or clean race multiplier?

I like it, as someone else posted earlier ITT, R* most likely wont code this, however, it can be done if the participants are willing to cooperate.  All that is needed is a board to post results and an agreed upon fair judging system.

PerceusSOZ
  • PerceusSOZ

gtaforumsmods.freeforums.net

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:02 AM

I am all for this. Being an avid car enthusiast, I love to see what other people have created as their personal cars. I'd love to compete in auto shows like this.

Gauntlet Hair
  • Gauntlet Hair

Amateur Pilot IRL

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

It'd be fun, sure. 

I'd like to be able to get something for winning, like an award. Win 20 Auto Shows, for example, and you get a T-shirt or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users