How Much $$$ Are We Costing Rockstar

155 replies to this topic
MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

nope.. you own 0 dollars worth since you never intended to buy any.

value is based on product..

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:16 AM

clearly the target audience for the product. lol. oh the irony...

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:19 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 23 December 2013 - 08:33 AM.

You can`t steal something that never existed. 

There is no direct correlation between ingame money and real money, since there is no way of converting them into real cash. Therefore, regardless of how much money you have / get ingame, it doesn`t cost Rockstar a penny.

So by your reasoning, the cost to operate their multimillion dollar servers (which if free to play for you btw as you don't pay a subscriber fee) is also free for R*?

How about the hundreds of engineers, techs, and IT support R* uses to maintain the servers.  Are these employees also free of charge to the company as well?

Why else would they put a real price/charge on GTA$ in the first place?

Wake up and smell the coffee bro

They made 1 Billion is sales of the game overall. 1 BILLION. Take a moment to grasp how much money that is. Enough for them to run AND optimize their servers, as well as funnel money into other projects. Your logic is invalid.

Wake up and smell the REALITY, bro.

Do you have any idea how much corporate tax R* had to pay on that 1 Billion in sales to date? Because you do of course, realize that Uncle Sam loves to spend other people's money besides its own, since we live in a capitalist economy and society?

Here's an epiphany for you: As a base rule of thumb, 1 BILLION = hundreds of millions in corporate taxes. Here in the US, that can be as high as 45% in federal and state taxes.  And that's BEFORE R* deducts mandatory expenditures for all it's overhead, exec bonuses, equipment maintenance, share holder dividends, employee salaries/labor costs etc. etc.

I work in Silicon Valley CA which is home to some of the biggest software & hardware devs in the world aka Google, Oracle, CISCO, Yahoo etc.  The average salary for an junior engineer--fresh out of college with 0-3 years of professional experience--is approx $65k-$85k per year.  The average salary for an experienced software/hardware engineer with 4+ years in the industry is around $85k to $95k+ per year. 

If exactly 1 dozen software and hardware engineers worked on SP and GTAO, that would've cost R* $1.02 Million USD in just salaries alone. Scale that up the the hundreds of engineers, QA, tech, and admin personnel who worked on both SP and GTAO.  Starting to see how $1 billion in sales could get leveled out by production, manufacturing, and maintenance costs for producing a game of this unparalled scope?

So the real question is "To date, what has been R* NET VALUE after accounting for all the expenses it cost to develop SP, GTAO AND maintain GTAO since Oct 1?  I'm pretty sure this was no where close to the order of magnitude of 1 BILLION.

Unfortunately however, we don't have the ability to answer this question, since R* is a privately held company and not traded on the NASDAQ or NYSE.

It's YOU who need to wake up and smell the expresso Bro. Preferably in the real world where chrome tanks and adders driven by immature middle school children and teenagers aren't rampaging and infesting the streets.

And yes, having a career working in the real world would've really helped avoid such a myopic and ignorant response.

• hungpaul22 and Andrew1980 like this

Lupin III
  • Lupin III

The Noble Keyboard Warrior

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

You're entirely missing the point but that's okay I love you and that Ghost guy.

MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

i missed the point that you cannot understand?

ok then try and sell some

• iiGh0STt likes this

Lupin III
  • Lupin III

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

If I were to buy 20 billion GTA dollars with shark cards it would cost me $35,000.

Hoof-Hearted
  • Hoof-Hearted

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

If I were to buy 20 billion GTA dollars with shark cards it would cost me $35,000.

those rockstar lawyers must be creaming their pants lol

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

You're entirely missing the point but that's okay I love you and that Ghost guy.

there are no teams here... just the same views. sorry you cannot see that either.

Lupin III
  • Lupin III

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

those rockstar lawyers must be creaming their pants lol

That's a site I'd like to see

MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:28 AM Edited by MantisFang, 23 December 2013 - 08:30 AM.

But you didn't. therefore you cost Rockstar. $0 dollars.

they lost no money

maybe you missed this...

You can`t steal something that never existed. 

There is no direct correlation between ingame money and real money, since there is no way of converting them into real cash. Therefore, regardless of how much money you have / get ingame, it doesn`t cost Rockstar a penny.

• a20characterusername likes this

Lupin III
  • Lupin III

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

But you didn't. therefore you cost Rockstar. $0 dollars.

they lost no money

That's totally beside the point lol

MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

or you just cant understand

big surprise 

hahahahaha

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:35 AM Edited by AiraCobra, 23 December 2013 - 08:42 AM.

What's the difference between money glitched or gifted then money we earned from missions and jobs?

Nothing it's the same exact money...

So what's the difference where the money came from?

It'd be difference if every $1GTA in game equaled to 1 real dollar but it doesn't

Hoof-Hearted
  • Hoof-Hearted

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

What about if they made people buy shark cards to make up for the multiple servers they had to acquire since on day 1 launch of GTA Online, there weren't enough servers for the amount of online players that wanted to play.

GTA V made like over a billion in sales for Rockstar. How much does it cost to buy and maintain a single online server?

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

Blunt Smoking Philosopher

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:37 AM Edited by G_Masta_Phunk, 23 December 2013 - 08:39 AM.

you're not costing them any money... cash cards are like freemium bs extras on any typical game... like if you buy them R* is like Yippie! but if you dont, its like whatever.... I mean this isnt a game where their currency means anything past your personal entertainment. 

I mean what if you glitched cash in say... Secondl life... then dumped all that cash back into your pay pal account... THEN you would have more than just lawyers after you ... 

And they arnt even maintaining a server... just our save infomation.... the servers are all private hosted as only 16 people in each sim.... if they had a hosted server they could get atleast 64 in the same game.

Hoof-Hearted
  • Hoof-Hearted

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

you're not costing them any money... cash cards are like freemium bs extras on any typical game... like if you buy them R* is like Yippie! but if you dont, its like whatever.... I mean this isnt a game where their currency means anything past your personal entertainment. 

I mean what if you glitched cash in say... Secondl life... then dumped all that cash back into your pay pal account... THEN you would have more than just lawyers after you ... 

And they arnt even maintaining a server... just our save infomation.... the servers are all private hosted as only 16 people in each sim.... if they had a hosted server they could get atleast 64 in the same game.

i wanna see dem sources yo

Steve
  • Steve

Combat Pistol Marksman

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

You think having billions is bad  go to gta5stats.com there is a guy with 9 quintillion dollars.

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

You think having billions is bad  go to gta5stats.com there is a guy with 9 quintillion dollars.

That's dedication.

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

More like changing a value in a .txt file.

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:07 AM Edited by Odesza, 23 December 2013 - 09:07 AM.

More like changing a value in a .txt file.

Sounds to me like dedication.

That guy alone just crashed the stock market and has brought Rockstar into bankruptcy.

Steve
  • Steve

Combat Pistol Marksman

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

That wouldn't crash the stock market once, it would crash it and send it to the earths core and back 3 times.

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:12 AM Edited by Odesza, 23 December 2013 - 09:13 AM.

wow are you trying to say that not only is that guy costing Rockstar millions he's also possibly blowing up the earth.

man these guys sure do hate Rockstar.

Steve
  • Steve

Combat Pistol Marksman

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

GTA Online Zimbabwe edition

No just some 4am humor Odesza

At this rate a can of sprunk will cost 200k

• damian001 likes this

Steve
  • Steve

Combat Pistol Marksman

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:20 AM Edited by SteveNYC81, 23 December 2013 - 09:21 AM.

The world economic gross domestic product combined is around 84 trillion dollars.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:22 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 23 December 2013 - 09:22 AM.

Here's an article on it: http://metro.co.uk/2...llions-4237647/

Everyone in the comments of that article are pissed and rightly so

That article made me smile :D

for some twisted reason, that header article on the EA Borg made me laugh like a lunatic

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:34 AM Edited by damian001, 23 December 2013 - 09:36 AM.

I have a little over 1.6 bil, so we'll use that to round it.

$1,600,000,000 (my ingame cash)  /  $1,250,000 (Great White Shark cash card) = 1280 (approx amount of cash cards i'd need to buy to make $1.6 billion ingame)

1280 GWS cash cards * $21.51 =

over $27,500 donated to me for free. :D. f*ck i'd rather have a free BMW..

nEKXQPi.jpg

RAS_ZeroZ
  • RAS_ZeroZ

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

The more you grind Coveted, the more you hurt Rockstar financially.  Stop grinding!!

MoldyDragon
  • MoldyDragon

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

I know man people who farm are RUINING the economy lmao....

• RAS_ZeroZ likes this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:41 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 23 December 2013 - 04:57 PM.

not sure... because it was never bought in the first place... only made up and digitized to be gifted to you. <---the real world analogy of this is called counterfeit money.  I hope I don't need to explain to you what long reaching negative effects the resulting inflation wrecks on a nation's economy.  

TL; DR: the more inflated your real world currency, the more devalued your dollar, the more money you have to pay to buy/acquire things (e.g. GTA V costing you $100 USD instead of $60 USD for example).  And the longer and harder you would have to work to break even due to this real currency devaluation.  So if you worked part time at McD 10 hrs per week to save up and buy CoD, you might have to end up working 15-20 hrs longer each week just to break even on buying the same game. Which means you have less time for recreational (aka non school/work related) activties that you probably enjoy doing.  Starting to see how inflation can really f*ck up your GTAO gaming time?

how can free in game (gifted or bounties) money cost real money? <--by the exchange rate R* set based on the cost of shark cards in the store. Selling fake currency for real money is one of the ways in which R* has (unsuccessfully) to date attempted to monetize GTAO.  That $1B in revenue can only go so far after corporate taxes, overhead, salaries, and other expenses are factored in on a monthly basis btw.

and how can ANY legit or non legit (GTA OR NOT GTA) fake money cost real money? <--see above reason. Once R* set the exchange rate for trading fake GTA$ currency for real life currency, they pretty much set the standard by which they expected the GTA universe to operate.  I know this sounds stupid and ridiculous. But this is one of the ways how online gaming companies have attempted to leverage costs and turn profit in an online game.  Think of how Zynga, that train wreck called SimCity 5, the former Sims Social, and Farmville have made real money off their fan bases.  Also think of how WoW--one of the most successful MMORPG to date--was able to make hundreds of millions in profit off gamers like you.  You had to use real currency to buy either fake currency and/or things in order to advance/level up in the game.

If the rampant inflation (from "counterfeit" GTA$ cash created by money glitchers) wasn't an issue in GTAO universe, the R* would have had BAWSAQ up and running by now.  But until the illegally created/excess GTA$ currency is removed from the game universe, the GTA economy will NEVER work the way R* intended it should

And yeah iigh0stt, answer this for me:

If all this money glitching wasn't costing R* any real life currency, then why the f*ck would they go to all the trouble releasing so many patches to fix the money loopholes in the system?  And more specifically, why would they finally come out and acknowledge the fact it has been causing them some real butt hurt in this article posted earlier in the thread?

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/19/gta-online-cheaters-have-stolen-in-game-money-worth-millions-4237647/

loved the new title this article dubs the "Generous Hacker" as :lol:

http://xploregaming....r-lost-control/

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

We? I'm not a glitching peasant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users