Photo

How Much $$$ Are We Costing Rockstar

155 replies to this topic
Jyra
  • Jyra

Radical Larry

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

You can`t steal something that never existed. 

There is no direct correlation between ingame money and real money, since there is no way of converting them into real cash. Therefore, regardless of how much money you have / get ingame, it doesn`t cost Rockstar a penny.

So by your reasoning, the cost to operate their multimillion dollar servers (which if free to play for you btw as you don't pay a subscriber fee) is also free for R*?

How about the hundreds of engineers, techs, and IT support R* uses to maintain the servers.  Are these employees also free of charge to the company as well?

Why else would they put a real price/charge on GTA$ in the first place?

Wake up and smell the coffee bro

Just to clarify they rent the servers like most other companies now.  It's cheaper then doing it in house but it has the obvious issues you would have with such a setup too.

Wallywhitehurst
  • Wallywhitehurst

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

There is no direct correlation between ingame money and real money, since there is no way of converting them into real cash. Therefore, regardless of how much money you have / get ingame, it doesn`t cost Rockstar a penny.

adding:

and why--oh why--would R* have invested time and money resources in rolling out update 1.06 btw? You know, the update that just came out today which is designed to eliminate "exploits" of certain game features. aka the bike and car glitches :miranda:

Here's some direct proof from the horses mouth that the billions of GTA$ cheaters have glitched have been an issue of concern to R*.  In all cases of the update notes in the link below, R* explicitly acknowledges these issues were of concern by starting off these updated items with "Corrected an exploit where players...."  :lol:

http://www.rockstargames.com/V/GTAOnline/news 

Big Brother has officially begun to set policies against the cheaters. Any glitcher who circumvents an official patch like 1.06 is officially comiting a cyber crime against the company. That's regardless of whether they think they're "not costing the company anything" or not.  

They're leaving themselves open to potential butthurt.

Best case scenario,suspension/banning of both R* online access and/or XBL privileges depending on the degree of how they hacked their games/consoles. Worst case scenario, potential litigation and/or criminal prosecution if they get caught.

Once again, wake up and smell the coffee bro. 

Since many cheaters have never been caught, it's a hyper norm of the cheater mindset to be complacent.  But complacency can kill,

Because R* only needs to get lucky exactly once.

Cheaters need to be lucky all the time....

@Odesza: that's correct, way #2 isn't mandatory.  I was simply pointing out the major ways a F2P game works in generating money for a company.  I suspect #3 is the way R* will likely end up going in the long run though.

Because the existence of ads anywhere in FM or a Second Life make over of GTAO by route #1, would likely drive the fan base barking mad.  And #2 is already distasteful for many fan boys (the forums are spammed with threads against this) who would rather play to earn their money rather than pay for it.

I can't see rockstar pursuing genuine legal action against people, I don't know that there's precedent for that in us courts where the majority of players are. I also don't think a console ban will happen, some may say that a console ban could potentially push people to the new consoles but I think it's too aggressive. This said, i don't see rockstar doing nothing either. My best guess would be a retroactive cash grab with taking back whatever money was glitched, possibly sending people to bad sport for a bit depending on how much they glitched or maybe a character reset. Time will tell, but the patch was a step in the right direction.
  • The Rangler likes this

garyfromscotland
  • garyfromscotland

Jock

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

Visit http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/fishfishstinks/games/gtav/career/overview/gtaonline and replace my username with yours. Now view your car sales. 

$21.51 for a Great White Shark Cash Card worth $1,250,000 in-game cash.

I'm currently costing them $151.43 in potential sales due to the LSC glitch. (8.8 mil / 1.25 * $21.51) and growing.

/feelsgoodman.jpg

You sound like a 5 year old kid who's snuck out of class lol, you didn't cost them anything, you only robbed yourself by cheating.

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:40 AM Edited by Odesza, 20 November 2013 - 07:41 AM.

Visit http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/fishfishstinks/games/gtav/career/overview/gtaonline and replace my username with yours. Now view your car sales. 

I'm currently costing them $151.43 in potential sales due to the LSC glitch. (8.8 mil / 1.25 * $21.51) and growing.

/feelsgoodman.jpg

You sound like a 5 year old kid who's snuck out of class lol, you didn't cost them anything, you only robbed yourself by cheating.

Don't make fun of OP he's bringing down Rockstar as we speak 1!1!11!!1

• Phyxsius- likes this

garyfromscotland
  • garyfromscotland

Jock

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:43 AM Edited by garyfromscotland, 20 November 2013 - 07:43 AM.

/feelsgoodman.jpg

Don't make fun of OP he's bringing down Rockstar as we speak 1!1!11!!1

Hahaha!!

I'll be expecting some rss feeds from BBC news technology then! Can't wait.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

So by your reasoning, the cost to operate their multimillion dollar servers (which if free to play for you btw as you don't pay a subscriber fee) is also free for R*?

How about the hundreds of engineers, techs, and IT support R* uses to maintain the servers.  Are these employees also free of charge to the company as well?

Just to clarify they rent the servers like most other companies now.  It's cheaper then doing it in house but it has the obvious issues you would have with such a setup too.

doesn't matter if they do it in house or not.  The point is it still costs them REAL MONEY to provide free server access to the fan base. Which means R* has to come up with a viable strategy for subsidizing the costs of keeping GTAO "free" to the fan base in the future.  $1billion in revenue (before taxes, employee salaries and overhead) can only go so far in an F2P game......

Andy_lattermen
  • Andy_lattermen

Shot Caller

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

40,000$

senormidget
  • senormidget

Basic Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

Just a heads up, finding glitches in a game is not illegal in any way, there are no laws against this. It's simply against the terms of use of the game and console meaning the most they can do is ban you from using them.

• Wallywhitehurst likes this

ashleyman
  • ashleyman

OBE

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

$7,000

Gelbbauchunke
  • Gelbbauchunke

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:20 AM Edited by Gelbbauchunke, 20 November 2013 - 09:20 AM.

Costs? A unitised amount of fixs cost for the servers, maintenance, licenes, customer stuff... Would be interesting to know how much an average GTA online player costs a year? A few pennies?

smil0
  • smil0

<3

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

I wrote something regarding this topic in another thread yesterday.

http://gtaforums.com...s/?p=1064115790

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

I have over 3 billion so I guess I'm robbing them blind haha

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

In any case, I'm sure their giant pile of money will somehow let them sleep easy, even with all the glitching.

Kylee_guy
  • Kylee_guy

Mushroom Man

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

I have over 3 billion so I guess I'm robbing them blind haha

I have 4.3 billion haha, can't go on social club anymore though...

Legendstig
  • Legendstig

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

doesn't matter if they do it in house or not.  The point is it still costs them REAL MONEY to provide free server access to the fan base. Which means R* has to come up with a viable strategy for subsidizing the costs of keeping GTAO "free" to the fan base in the future.  $1billion in revenue (before taxes, employee salaries and overhead) can only go so far in an F2P game......

This guy does not know what hes talking about......

biggsull
  • biggsull

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:19 AM Edited by biggsull, 20 November 2013 - 10:19 AM.

/feelsgoodman.jpg

If you weren't going to pay for cash cards to begin with, you're not really costing them anything...

-Bill

If you were going to buy a cash card without glitchers but decided not to because it devalued the worth of what you were buying, it means were costing them untold amounts of profits.

If you personally glitch 150$ worth of in game currency, you are part of millions of dollars of lost profit from people who wont buy as a result of your glitching.

Glitch more, stick it to em.Thats what they get for trying to be like EA.

• vahnx likes this

fullmetal5550
  • fullmetal5550

Trick

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

With all the money they made selling GTA V I doubt they even notice. 

• sleezeep likes this

sleezeep
  • sleezeep

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

You guys make it sound like rockstar is a tiny indie developer working out of their parents basement. GTAV IS the highest selling game of the year. They are not going broke because you glitched a few million in game virtual dollars. And as ot was said it is a violation of the TOS you will not receive legal action unless you cause harm to their cloud servers, or their company, you will simply be banned or have your character reset.

Kendoyid
  • Kendoyid

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

/feelsgoodman.jpg

haha this

jdkzombie
  • jdkzombie

Professional Zombie

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:12 PM Edited by jdkzombie, 20 November 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Hey Pot, meet Kettle, what do you think of the BILLIONS they made release day?

And apparently you are unfamiliar with new server systems, they are almost entirely self running.  You may have a handful in case something goes awry, but there won't be no QRT force of techs on standby ready to come charging in to save the day.

Why did they put a price tag on it?  Why else would they nerf all the payouts?  And on top of that start throwing around ad placements for shark cards......"psst...hey player...you could grind this game for a month, or you could slide me 20 badonkadonks and I'll give you a million R* cash."

If they even TRIED to force a subscription for this sh*t they call online, they'd go bankrupt in a day.  Lose your character?  Cant get it back.  Lost your stuff?  Can't get it back.  Progress got regressed somehow?  Cant get it back.  What kind of game is this?  Lose your sh*t in WoW, they actually compensate you, not tell you "oh tough sh*t" like Rockstar does.  Hell man, Trion with Defiance has better customer support than Rockstar.

***Also, what about all the games that still have servers running for players even though the player base has dwindled.( a few examples, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six games, past Halo titles, hell, Defiance for that matter)  Why don't they just shut them down?  Like GTA IV, if they want people to play and spend money of V so bad, why havent they shut down IV online yet?  

So tell me..

How's that coffee smell?

• GoodGreen and TimelyMeerkat like this

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

$516.24

• vahnx likes this

Valdorien
  • Valdorien

We weren't ready!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

Bragging about stealing?

MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

If you intended to buy a cash card you are a f*cking moron
  • biggsull likes this

Laveerre
  • Laveerre

You just lost the game

• BUSTED!
  • NATO

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

I've glitched about 6 million but you can't really notice it lel
tdwx.png

Dont Shoot
  • Dont Shoot

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

If anyone is bored just send R* report with screen shots and usernames lol. Would make for some easy cases for the banhammer team

Wanker665
  • Wanker665

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

/feelsgoodman.jpg

You have one seriously, SERIOUSLY ugly character.

• vahnx likes this

handoverfist
  • handoverfist

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

/feelsgoodman.jpg

If you weren't going to pay for cash cards to begin with, you're not really costing them anything...

-Bill

lol. tell that to movie and music companies. people get sued for piracy (torrent sites) even if the person was never ever actually going to buy any of their stuff

petraeus
  • petraeus

Thug

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

$0 since i have never once in my life bought an in app crap in any app, ever, and never will 

petraeus
  • petraeus

Thug

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

stealing? u cant steal from urself idiot, so when i typed iddqd in doom i was stealing my own time by making the game easier?

try and think before speaking

Bragging about stealing?

jdice1980
  • jdice1980

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

The correlation made between glitched in game money and cash cards was always built on logical fallacy. Sure, if you glitched $1.25 million (or whatever it is) you would have the equivalent of someone who paid $20 on a cash card. That DOES NOT, HOWEVER, mean you cost R* $20 if you never would have bought the cash card.

Yes, it cost money to host servers and develop the DLC and all that jazz, and yes they need to make money to do that. However, no one that glitched $10 million was going to pay around $200 in micro-transactions. I'd be willing to bet only about 20% of the glitchers would have spent real world money. I don't know...I could be wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users