Photo

I'm White and I'm Sorry.

55 replies to this topic
The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:44 PM Edited by The Pizza Delivery Guy, 19 November 2013 - 11:45 PM.

I apologize for coming from a slave holding line.

7 score and 10 years ago, Abraham Lincoln gave his Gettysburg Address, a speech that solidified the fight against the horrors of slavery that the American armies were battling Confederate troops for.

In solemnity, thousands gathered at a central Pennsylvania battlefield park Tuesday to honor a speech given 150 years ago that President Abraham Lincoln predicted would not be long remembered.

Gettysburg Address: 150 Years Later

The inspirational and famously short Gettysburg Address was praised for reinvigorating national ideals of freedom, liberty and justice amid a Civil War that had torn the country into pieces.

"President Lincoln sought to heal a nation's wounds by defining what a nation should be," said Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett, calling Lincoln's words superb, his faith deep and his genius profound. "Lincoln wrote his words on paper, but he also inscribed them in our hearts."

Echoing Lincoln, keynote speaker and Civil War historian James McPherson said the president took the dais in November 1863 at a time when it looked like the nation "might indeed perish from the earth."

"The Battle of Gettysburg became the hinge of fate on which turned the destiny of that nation and its new birth of freedom," McPherson said.

In the July 1863 battle, considered the turning point of the war, Union forces fought back a Confederate invasion of Pennsylvania. Lincoln's speech was delivered more than four months later, at the dedication of a national cemetery to bury the battle's casualties.

In the short oration, he spoke of how democracy itself rested upon "the proposition that all men are created equal," a profound and politically risky statement for the time. Slavery and the doctrine of states' rights would not hold in the "more perfect union" of Lincoln's vision.

"In 272 words he put together what everyone was thinking, what everyone should know," said park historian John Heiser. Because of varying transcriptions, scholars generally put the text at 268 to 272 words.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia administered the oath of allegiance to a group of 16 immigrants, telling them the national identity is unique, illustrated by the existence of the word "un-American" and by the people's "fidelity to certain political principles."

Greta Myer, 44, decided to make the six-hour trip from Akron, Ohio, with her husband and son after spending a week in Gettysburg earlier in the year.

"It's something we've never done before," Myer said. "It was a historical event that we wanted to be a part of."

Among many re-enactors on the grounds were at least two Abraham Lincolns, including one who recited the address.

"Lincoln would have been surprised by the reverence accorded to him by future generations," McPherson said, noting Lincoln himself held in high regard the country's founders.

"Would they preserve that heritage, or would they allow it to perish from the earth?" McPherson said.

He said the Gettysburg Address, despite its short length, managed to weave together themes of past, present and future; continent, nation and battlefield; and birth, death and rebirth.

"Men died that the nation might live," McPherson said. "Yet the old nation also died," and with it, the system of bondage that enslaved some 4 million Americans.

Part of the event was a speech delivered by suburban Philadelphia high school junior Lauren Pyfer, who won a contest to write a contemporary version of the Gettysburg Address, but at the same short length.

She urged the crowd to do their part to "nurture and preserve the rights of humanity, equality and freedom, across all nations."

"It is impossible for one country to close its doors to other countries and still thrive," Pyfer said.

Interior Secretary Sally Jewell, who also adopted Lincolnian brevity, said the Gettysburg battle stands at the vortex of American history, and the Gettysburg Address at the vortex of national consciousness.

Lincoln, she said, called the country to its unfinished business, and he also came to symbolize the country's "greatest virtues of humility, of honesty and decency."

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

• Lochie and make total destroy like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

Wait, was North Dakota even a slave state back then? I don't think it was even part of the union during the civil war.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

Guilt is a useless emotion and you should do away with it.

• Finn 7 five 11, Kristian., Morpheus72 and 1 other like this

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

Wait, was North Dakota even a slave state back then? I don't think it was even part of the union during the civil war.

ND didn't exist. Mother's side migrated from New England, Father's side from South Carolina.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

Why would you apologize for something that happened along time ago that you had absolutely no part of??

There is no 'my people, your people' bullcrap. We are all human beings that belong to one another, just because some white people had slaves hundreds of years ago makes you in no way guilty of the same thing just because you're white too.. that's stupid.

There is no white race, there is no black race, there is only the human race and the sooner we realize this the sooner we can get over this whole separation of people nonsense.

• Harley, D- Ice, 018361 and 8 others like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

What is this bullcrap? I'll NEVER free my slaves!

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

Why do you keep trying to be such a robotic shell of a man? Greek philosophy is boring and black and white; aesthetically appealing to the 'intellectual' but ultimately unsatisfactory to any sane human being.

I don't get why people are trying so hard to get rid of their humanity. Good luck living your life and trying to live without guilt. You'll probably turn into a complete deranged sociopath.

• OG Sunny likes this

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Hey, I'm from Scotland; where our ancestors were raped and pillaged by those bloody English many centuries ago.

Where's my dam apology, eh? WHERE!!!!!!!!!

guys-in-kilts-facepalm.jpg

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:26 AM Edited by Typhus, 20 November 2013 - 12:26 AM.

Why do you keep trying to be such a robotic shell of a man? Greek philosophy is boring and black and white; aesthetically appealing to the 'intellectual' but ultimately unsatisfactory to any sane human being.

I don't get why people are trying so hard to get rid of their humanity. Good luck living your life and trying to live without guilt. You'll probably turn into a complete deranged sociopath.

My dear fellow, I speak more in a racial sense than an ethical one.

Do you know why 'white guilt' is useless? Because no one wants you to feel guilty for being white. Claiming that you are guilty is nothing but a way to divert attention away from racism and place it firmly back on you - the poor, beleaguered white man.

White guilt does not change media perceptions of people of colour.

White guilt does not prevent white flight.

White guilt does not help diversify literature and show people of colour in positive, prominent roles.

White guilt does not stop racism.

You know what it does? It allows you to think you've done something noble. It allows you to pat yourself on the back, having suitably chastised yourself, and lets you kid yourself that you've 'done your bit' by admitting to something no one even cares about.

White guilt is a useless, hollow thing.

• D- Ice, Hecate and Adler like this

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

My dear fellow, I speak more in a racial sense than an ethical one.

Do you know why 'white guilt' is useless? Because no one wants you to feel guilty for being white. Claiming that you are guilty is nothing but a way to divert attention away from racism and place it firmly back on you - the poor, beleaguered white man.

White guilt does not change media perceptions of people of colour.

White guilt does not prevent white flight.

White guilt does not help diversify literature and show people of colour in positive, prominent roles.

White guilt does not stop racism.

You know what it does? It allows you to think you've done something noble. It allows you to pat yourself on the back, having suitably chastised yourself, and lets you kid yourself that you've 'done your bit' by admitting to something no one even cares about.

White guilt is a useless, hollow thing.

Of course White Guilt is useless and downright idiotic in nature. I thought you meant guilt in general. Which I think is a very humane and honest emotion, therefore not senseless at all.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

Some emotions like guilt and worry are not only useless, but they are also harmful to the person and therefore we should not pay attention to them. A rational person can find a way to deal with a situation, whether that means to actually solve what can be solved or accept that there is no solution. That's how you deal with things. Feeling guilty or worrying doesn't do anything good for you or others. While those feelings can be a reminder of your current situation and the fact that it may need your attention, you also have a rational side that can deal with things more efficiently.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

Some emotions like guilt and worry are not only useless, but they are also harmful to the person and therefore we should not pay attention to them. A rational person can find a way to deal with a situation, whether that means to actually solve what can be solved or accept that there is no solution. That's how you deal with things. Feeling guilty or worrying doesn't do anything good for you or others. While those feelings can be a reminder of your current situation and the fact that it may need your attention, you also have a rational side that can deal with things more efficiently.

Not everything is so hollow and black and white. Why are you so afraid to feel like you're supposed to feel? Have you never heard of the similarities (the ancient fight between good and evil) between 'good' and 'bad'? - love and hate?

Not all supposedly negative emotions are actually negative. They can act quite positive with many, many things. Living your life in this world with the total intent of never hurting anyone won't be much of a life.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

What the f*ck is this sh*t thread. You are apologising for something you had no part of, and for something that no one alive can say they where apart of. Brilliant.

• D- Ice likes this

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

Apology accepted...? 

tumblr_ljb4bu9iSB1qixleeo1_500.gif

• Typhus and haythem09 like this

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Why would you apologize for something that happened along time ago that you had absolutely no part of??

There is no 'my people, your people' bullcrap. We are all human beings that belong to one another, just because some white people had slaves hundreds of years ago makes you in no way guilty of the same thing just because you're white too.. that's stupid.

There is no white race, there is no black race, there is only the human race and the sooner we realize this the sooner we can get over this whole separation of people nonsense.

Eh, all this was done for was really the 150th anniversary of good ole Gettysburg Addressness. I just wanted something eye-catching that would draw attention. Impromptu experiment I'd call it, explains all the effort I put into it... or lack thereof.

IM_YOUR_GOD
  • IM_YOUR_GOD

Christian Zionist Rank 9

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

Wait, what about the MOORS and Barbary Pirates. Lol

Should their desecents apolgies aswell. ;)

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:30 AM Edited by Criѕtian, 20 November 2013 - 01:30 AM.

Why are you so afraid to feel like you're supposed to feel? Have you never heard of the similarities (the ancient fight between good and evil) between 'good' and 'bad'? - love and hate?

Not all supposedly negative emotions are actually negative. They can act quite positive with many, many things. Living your life in this world with the total intent of never hurting anyone won't be much of a life.

I'm not afraid. That would be ironic.

The moment you pay attention to your current situation, guilt or worry (and other similar negative emotions) have no use anymore. Whatever is troubling you, you have to deal with it. Feeling guilty or worrying accomplishes nothing, if anything they only prolong the time it takes you to solve your problem (since you focus your attention on those feelings as opposed to your situation).

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

So no apologies for my ancestors' brutal massacres resulting in me having a slight alcohol indulgence being passed down through centuries of bloodline inheritance?

Where's that dam Jesse Jackson when you need him.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

Why are you so afraid to feel like you're supposed to feel? Have you never heard of the similarities (the ancient fight between good and evil) between 'good' and 'bad'? - love and hate?

I'm not afraid. That would be ironic.

lol

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

I'll take any excuse to bust out a Frank Zappa reference.

Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention - Trouble Every Day

It has the great line "I'm not black, but there's a whole lots of times I wish I could say I'm not white".

Fantastic song, and if you want to feel guilty about black/white inequality in this country - this is the song for you.

Yes, slavery was and is horrifically wrong.  I like to think it was only a matter of time before someone stepped up and told the rest of the freaks that it was wrong.  Abe did a good job...and I hear he was a pretty neat guy in general.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

There were also blacks who traded slaves in Africa. Like the Ashanti for instance.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Slavery has only made black people stronger through suffering.

Now they control the streets and shoot innocent white people.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

And so the controversy begins.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

No white person is innocent.

• Mr. House likes this

Waldie
  • Waldie

Dickensian Mockney

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:23 PM Edited by Waldie, 20 November 2013 - 01:24 PM.

As a fellow white person, I feel it is my responsibility to apologize for this boy. Don't take any notice, he doesn't mean any harm. He's just retarded, that's all.

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:48 PM Edited by elanman, 20 November 2013 - 01:50 PM.

7 score and 10 years ago, Abraham Lincoln gave his Gettysburg Address, a speech that solidified the fight against the horrors of slavery that the American armies were battling Confederate troops for.

After reading your subsequent posts it's clear to me that this is a sincere post.

There's obviously no need to apologise that you "come from a slave holding line" since virtually no race in the world has a morally pristine history. If I were to holiday in Germany, would I expect German children to apologise to me for the atrocities their forebears committed against my Ashenkazi brothers and sisters? No, that's utterly absurd, as today Germany is progressive and dedicated to instilling in their young citizens the principles of equality and fairness.

We should never forget the past, and a people or nation should remember the hardships suffered by their ancestors. However, it is utterly absurd to feel as though the descendents of those who did us harm should apologise for the sins of their ancestors as they were not complicit in their ancestors' crimes.

In summation, if we are to encourage tolerance and acceptance, we must remember and acknowledge the sins of our fathers, but not allow them to wrongly become the sins of our sons.

@Fireman: How can you be so irreverent? Do you think it makes you "cool" or "edgy"?

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm white and this is bullsh*t. You can't put the blame the crimes of some on the entirety of their race.

1. My ancestors were peasant farmers from Ireland and Canada who couldn't even afford slaves.

2. My ancestors didn't even come to this United States until the 1910's, after the emancipation of the slaves.

3. In no way should the debt of your ancestors be forced upon you. If you have ancestors who were slave owners then THEY committed the crime, not you.

Victor_Mangano
  • Victor_Mangano

Capo of the Mangano Crime Family

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Dear OP,

I'm sorry that,many years ago, my ancestors farted into your ancestors pillow; thus causing the great pink eye epidemic that almost wiped out your entire family.
I shall forever live in shame.

Sincerely,
Victor "Pink Eye" Mangano

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

If you have a leg up in the world today because your ancestors built fortunes ont he backs of slaves, then yes, for f*ck's sake, you owe a debt of gratitude and burden some shame.

But i think you'll find, whatsstrength, that the OP was specifically speaking about himself. ;) and I think it's awesome. To acknowledge this sh*t is to overcome it.

But how are we gonna pay back the natives, guys? And I'm only being 5% cheeky.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users