Quantcast

» «
Photo

Can We Expect Lightning Bolts to Make a Comeback?

57 replies to this topic
John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:37 PM Edited by niko bellic half brother, 21 November 2013 - 09:32 PM.

First off: I'm currently at work, and have yet to download the latest update and play V (which I'll be doing when I get home), but for the guys who've played post 1.06 update; can anyone confirm if lightning bolts has returned?

Secondly: If lightning bolts haven't been included in the latest patch, do you think they will ever make a return?

Ever since we saw the first screens of the stormy weather including bolts of lightning introduced for the first time in a GTA, I thought it looked absolutely beautiful, but decided to wait until I played the game first hand before giving my opinion on it - and was not disappointed.

The huge epic lightning bolts made the whole storm experience feel much more fearsome and immersive, especially at night when it beautifully lit up the clouds. I would just park a car in the middle of the countryside, switch off the radio, and admire it's beauty.

I was pretty gutted to find out this small but effective feature had been removed after the first patch, which I guess was down to technical reasons or what have you.

Thoughts on a possible return?

official-screenshot-lightning-striking-a

Edit: DaRkL3AD3R has made a video to clarify what we're talking about here:

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Are you sure that R* removed them? I saw a lightning bolt in-game when I was playing last week.

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

I hope so. Aways checking the mission where you sticky bomb those trailers. 

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

Ahh if they did that f*cking sucks hairy donkey balls.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

Are you sure that R* removed them? I saw a lightning bolt in-game when I was playing last week.

Me too. I saw one near Franklin's aunt's house. I think they are still there. The only time I saw one before the patches was the Trevor mission where he goes to blow up the trailers.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Think i have saw a lightning bolt.

But can't remember when, it must be rare.

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

They are still in, just very rare

UndraftedTalent
  • UndraftedTalent

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

You'd have more chance of being struck by... ah forget it sir.

carlton-banks.jpg

• drr26 likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

I have never seen one since the stupid patch removed them. This is one thing Rockstar did that I cannot forgive them for. You post numerous official prerelease screen shots of lightning bolts then a couple weeks into the launch you remove them? Aw hell no. Sh*t better be back in this patch or come back by PC release.
  • John Smith likes this

tapz63
  • tapz63

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

I saw one online yesterday. Try putting the the weather to rainy for a few races and you should see some.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

They are still in? What?  :panic:

Maybe they were brought back after the last update? I've possibly just been unlucky in catching them then, as I believe they are random occurrences.

mikezilla2
  • mikezilla2

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

was the first thing i saw when i tested out my new cars :)

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

was the first thing i saw when i tested out my new cars :)

Its fun when something is rare to find.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

I don't think it rains a lot in SoCal. Average rainfall for LA is 14 inches a year. Meanwhile Atlanta, GA averages 49 inches. It rains here a lot, especially during Spring and Fall.

So it sorta makes sense to make lightning more rare as it doesn't probably rain/storm much there.

• Loxley and undrtow218 like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Above: in the northwest, lighting is rare. In Southern California, I have no clue. Dry lighting strikes have sparked devastating wildfires there before though.

Oh and no, lighting hasn't been in since 1.04. There IS lightning, BUT it is very much like IV's now; no bolts in other words.

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

I don't think it rains a lot in SoCal. Average rainfall for LA is 14 inches a year. Meanwhile Atlanta, GA averages 49 inches. It rains here a lot, especially during Spring and Fall.

So it sorta makes sense to make lightning more rare as it doesn't probably rain/storm much there.

Yeah...it rains a lot in the game more than in SoCal..so it doesn't make sense since it does rain/storm in Los Santos.

kvic
  • kvic

Grand PooBar

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

In future DLC 1 bolt of lightning $1.00, 2 bolts $2.00 and so on or you will be able to buy the mega pack of 100 bolts for $40.00.

• lizardman563, Scaglietti, Bonnano and 1 other like this

Scampi
  • Scampi

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

I've played 150 hours and can't remember ever seeing lighting bolts outside of Trevor's mission where they're scripted. I don't know if they were removed or what, but it's not much fun making them so rare they're basically non-existent. Bolts are the new bigfoot I guess, highly rumored, never seen.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:29 PM Edited by ThroatSlasher2, 19 November 2013 - 09:29 PM.

Let's hope so, it looked pretty nice, added itself nicely to the environment. I heard they took it out because it caused Frame Rates drop issues. That's quite funny since it's not the only thing that causes frame rate drops *cough* heavy traffic *cough*

Loxley
  • Loxley

This member is no longer active.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:31 PM Edited by elburrosleftnut, 19 November 2013 - 09:42 PM.

Above: in the northwest, lighting is rare. In Southern California, I have no clue. Dry lighting strikes have sparked devastating wildfires there before though.

Oh and no, lighting hasn't been in since 1.04. There IS lightning, BUT it is very much like IV's now; no bolts in other words.

Can you provide proof of it being removed? I don't see anywhere officially stated of it's removal.

I've seen a Reddit thread stating that they see them but they're not that common. I'm going to try see if I can capture a snapmatic of one when flying during a storm in SP.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

It's still in the game. Why the hell would they patch this? Lightning is rare in the game.

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

Pretty sure it's in the files, they either disabled it, or really decreased the percentage of it's chance of happening.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yeah...it rains a lot in the game more than in SoCal..so it doesn't make sense since it does rain/storm in Los Santos.

Interesting of Rockstar to recreate a condensed version of LA and not have the weathers and seasons implemented.

In Oblivion and Skyrim the game goes through the different seasons as time passes. Rainy season in Oblivion lasts for days ingame, and Fall in Skyrim is beautiful around Riften, especially with an ENB. Wouldn't that be cool in GTA?

Don't know why they made the lightning less subtle. Maybe for performance reasons?

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

That's what I speculate..though the handful of times I saw a bolt of lightning I never had frame rate issues or crashes.

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

IDK where you guys come up with these speculations??? I seen a couple of bolts when im around The Great Chaparral area. no frame issues or lag. Well I guess  since you people have common copies..

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'm getting confused here. Some people are saying it's still in, others are saying it isn't.

Just to clarify: I know thunder storms are still in. But I'm talking about lightning BOLTS. I've yet to see one since they were apparently removed during the first few patches, and I've had plenty of storms.

rojovo74
  • rojovo74

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

My copy is un-patched, and I have yet to see a bolt of lightning in the game.

AmbientZed
  • AmbientZed

Your silence is utterly provocative

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

They are completely gone since that older update, they are not rare or random, i've tested it many times, no sign of them. And they probably aren't back now either but i will try it later.

Will probably be a 20$ DLC further down the line called ''Thunder Bolt Bum Pack''

• Gutslab and ThroatSlasher2 like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

They are completely gone since that older update, they are not rare or random, i've tested it many times, no sign of them. And they probably aren't back now either but i will try it later.

Will probably be a 20$ DLC further down the line called ''Thunder Bolt Bum Pack''

I saw one last night so they are not gone. The only time I actually one before the patch was during that Trevor mission.

CanOdope
  • CanOdope

Troll hunter

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:42 PM Edited by CanOdope, 19 November 2013 - 11:45 PM.

They are not gone, unless they removed then in this patch. I just saw one yesterday. Yes, a lightning BOLT. It was the first time i had seen one in the game, i must've been drunk when i did the Trevor mission, because I don't remember that. I was amazed by how well they are done.

And on a side note, why is everyone assuming all the the DLC is going to be called "______ Bum Pack". Im sure you guys can be a little more creative than that...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users