Quantcast

» «
Photo

So, in your opinion, did multiple protagonists pay off?

64 replies to this topic
HonestOG556
  • HonestOG556

Crackpot

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Storywise - yes,

otherwise - nope.

The only character I honestly feel comfortable with driving around chaotically in the city, stealing vehicles at will and doing nasty stuff is Trevor. Michael and Franklin just feel a way too clean and sane to do this. Also it's just complete rubbish that all three characters have safe houses in Los Santos at the end. So everytime I want to go to Blaine County I instead find Trevor hanging around in LS picking burritos out of trash bins.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

I have nothing against it except the transition period could see slight decrease plus three characters could see even more additions to the story, missions and a variety of interesting stuff about how they act, interact and are played out otherwise it's a nice change.

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

I think that having multiple protagonists did pay off to an extent - though I do feel that it came at the expense of the storyline.

Instead having a fleshed out, indepth storyline that is focused around the one protagonist and their struggles in a given setting, along with their interaction with their friends, family and other contacts; we have three protagonists in a similar length storyline to previous GTA titles that almost exclusively focuses on the interactions between the three lead characters and very little interaction with outside characters. The individual protagonists don't feel as fleshed out and actually feel more watered down as a result IMO.

Similar to what a post above me states: if Rockstar decide to go down the multiple protagonist path in the future, I hope that they do it similarly to GTA IV/EFLC and actually give each individual protagonist their own storyline (as opposed to just a handful of single-protagonist missions each) that intertwines with the others.

jdwarfer
  • jdwarfer

Gangsta

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:45 AM Edited by jdwarfer, 03 January 2014 - 11:06 AM.

I like the story of GTA V and the fact there are more than one character. But Franklin is quite useless IMO. He doesn't bring anything interesting to the game and his part of the scenario is kind of lame.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:03 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 03 January 2014 - 11:04 AM.

It didn't.

It's an amazing concept and R* should definitely stick with it in future installments, but they didn't nail it in V. In perfect version of V, all three protagonists would get the same amount of focus. In released version of V, only Michael got the proper amount of focus, with Trevor and Franklin being glorified supporting characters.

You just can't make a GTA game that is just about as long as IV and then cram three protagonists in it. IV + Episodes worked, because Niko got the whole game for himself and then Johnny and Luis got each 10 hour side stories. Also, IV and Episodes really offered three completely different views on Liberty City and its underworld. All three stories in IV dealt with different themes, however V, in the end, even though there were three characters with completely different backgrounds, boiled down to high profile crime and FIB/IAA stuff. We never got as good look on Los Santos' street gangs and Blaine County's outlaws as we got on Alderney's biker gangs and LC nightclub scene in IV.

But, looking back, we should probably be happy V's story turned out as good as it was. In an attempt to make V's story more balanced, R* could have shafted Michael's story too, which would be a disaster, since we would end up with no good story at all. Like I said, a game must be significantly longer to support three protagonists.

• TheDeaconBosco likes this

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

I enjoyed the novelty of having three protags but at the end of the day I feel having one main playable character immerses me more into the story.

sukmieazz
  • sukmieazz

Put out to pasture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Yes.
Spoiler

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:11 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 03 January 2014 - 12:13 PM.

The 3 Protagonists would be a new trend for the GTA series and other "GTA Clones-Openworld games"it was great in GTA 5 but could improve and with Next-gen it would be more Superb,the Real-time Character-Switching is something new and cool and also ambitious.Here is an article:

http://m.edge-online...r-game-of-2013/

grimhat
  • grimhat

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

I think it worked, and I enjoyed playing each character, but like others said the story was just nothing-ness. The bickering of Trevor and Michael was just dull

Even though you played 3 Characters, two of them (Trevor and Franklin) were just supporting characters to Michael. His story was the main focus and it wasn't very interesting. Trevor and Franklin were just along for the ride.

Trevor and Franklin had a back story, which was slightly told when they were first introduced, but then it stopped as soon as they all met. For instance, the people who were causing Franklin issues (Stretch) was only ever in 2 missions, and the Chinese mafia were only in 2, and I don't think the main mobster was even in it. Just spoke over the phone.

Simon_V
  • Simon_V

Red Dead Undead

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

It was awesome, but they did a terrible thing... there weren't enough missions for one protag, there should be at least 30 missions for each character.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ps3 has no games

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

I would've preferred just a single character. Playing as Michael (like the game was originally going to be, ya know, focused on him) would've felt even more rewarding.

Billy Benedict
  • Billy Benedict

Town Drunk

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Was the story that bad?
I am waiting for pc,but if the story and singleplayer is bad then I have no reason to get the game

gameplay and diversity wise it definatelty the best gta storyline, however the ploting sucks, and in the sequel to gta 4, thas a MAJOR letdown

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:42 PM Edited by PedoneRosso, 03 January 2014 - 03:43 PM.

The three characters are THE new thing about this chapter of the GTA saga.

And personally I love this aspect of the game both during the missions, when they add a whole new dimension to the gameplay, and in free roaming, when they allow you to change the way you interact with Los Santos depending on who you're impersonating at the moment.

(no problem with those who think differently, but I felt I had to add my sincerely positive opinion on this topic, since I think that this kind of thread naturally tends to attract more those people who have some complains to express than those who have none)

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

I like it. The option of switching between characters helps to keep things fresh, and when you're stuck out in the desert or up a mountain, you can just switch to someone in the city. Great idea. 

I often found when playing IV, I wanted to switch between characters, which took 5 minutes. It felt like 20. Being able to switch nearly instantly is great.

• TaviColen123 likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

It would've been better with 3 protags and 3 different stories that intertwine a few times which causes an effect on another protags story. Kinda like GTA 4.

I personally would have preferred this. Only having to switch characters on really a handful of really big missions and heists. 

SHARKEM
  • SHARKEM

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

no i didn't like it. it was essentially pointless in that it was rarely used and often forced. it could have been implemented much better but even then it would have meant the same sacrifices of a disjointed experience and a lack of depth to each character. 

three episodes would have been much better imo. i thought the big plot reveals that we got from seeing the other side of a story would be a gta mainstay.

plus a load of other sh*t i can't be arsed typing.

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

BEASTMODE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Id say it had its moments but I never felt any connection or attachment to any of them . In past GTAs you kinda become one with your charachter and throughout the game a connection grows . In this game theres alot goin on , your kinda bouncing all over the place .No real player/charachter connection is made . 

You would think with 3 charachters youd have one everyone can relate too but not really . 

Most people playing are younger and can not relate to a guy in his 40s maybe early 50s who is married with childeren . If you can relate to Trevor , you may have issues seek help . Franklin now maybe but hes the most boring of the group and you never really get into his story . 

• Official General likes this

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

bizarro starter kit

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

It was an interesting idea, and I've nothing against the idea of it, but I think maybe if they had two main characters and more development for each it would have been better. Maybe even some "flashback" missions for them so we'd have a better understanding of where they came from.

DragonViper
  • DragonViper

100% Nerd

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

I think you've hit the nail on the head: I felt I didn't connect as much with any of the characters.

Having said that, I've never experienced this in a game before and it was refreshing.  When you read novels, or watch movies, you'll often experience different points of view.  It was similar here.  It made the story feel like being in a movie, as opposed to acting out the situations in real life.

But I still would have prefered the single protagonist and the associated hero journey.

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:03 AM

Matty, on 03 Jan 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

I think that having multiple protagonists did pay off to an extent - though I do feel that it came at the expense of the storyline.

Instead having a fleshed out, indepth storyline that is focused around the one protagonist and their struggles in a given setting, along with their interaction with their friends, family and other contacts; we have three protagonists in a similar length storyline to previous GTA titles that almost exclusively focuses on the interactions between the three lead characters and very little interaction with outside characters. The individual protagonists don't feel as fleshed out and actually feel more watered down as a result IMO.

Similar to what a post above me states: if Rockstar decide to go down the multiple protagonist path in the future, I hope that they do it similarly to GTA IV/EFLC and actually give each individual protagonist their own storyline (as opposed to just a handful of single-protagonist missions each) that intertwines with the others.

Trevor is the best character in all GTAs imo, better than boring, overrated Niko who had a whole game by himself and failed to impress me .

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

It was a waste in my opinion. I feel that in GTA IV the three protagonist's weren't up each others ass 24/7, so the stories they produced covered a bigger area in Liberty. You had the three extremes, TBOGT with the flash but no substance, GTA IV with a vast, drawn out story that had enough time to cover the lives of both rich and poor. TLAD is just ragged, dirty. GTA V briefly had Trevor in Sandy Shores, and Franklin started out in the hood. The city kinda sucked the life out of Franklin and Trevor.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

My opinion of the multiple protag thing is that it works great in the story.

Outside of that I find myself playing as my favorite character (Franklin) mostly.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:15 AM

To me the concept of 3 ccharacters is pretty gimmicky. I mean yes its nice to have 3 different, very different, characters to play as but this really only does anything for roleplaying. As far as game play goes all 3 are the exact same and all it does is indeed scatter the game play and place a burden on the writers which we all suffered for. Go back to GTA IV or later and look at how fleshed out the campaigns are especially 4 and EFLC. I genuinely miss the stories in those games and they have many memorable moments. GTA V om the other hand was rather shallow and really not worth more than a single play through to me. Contrast that to my 6+ IV play through and it's easy to see what we paid for in having 3 protagonists at our fingertips.

I am however optimistic that with next gen we will see a huge improvement in content. Hopefully anyway.

Hotband
  • Hotband

Cheesehead

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

Yup.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Dump 2016

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

I was very skeptical about it prior to the release, but all that skepticism went away when I got to try it for myself. It's a really great addition to the series, although I would like more freedom with it. As mentioned, when in a car it would be nice to switch to one of the protagonists in the passenger seat and just enjoy the ride.

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Mechanically and aesthetically it works very, very well. The storyline doesn't go as deep as Niko's, but the stats showed less than a third of players finished IV's story. Rockstar adapted to that, and GTA V's story mode is more like a buffet of experiences. You can finish the main story faster, but with all the random events and other side missions, I easily have as many hours into my main saved game as I did GTA IV.

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, it worked for me - but then, it was right up my street anyway, considering I enjoy stories told from different perspectives. So, in the same way as I relish reading (or writing) a book with multiple protagonists, or watching a film that does the same, I enjoyed having the ability to play as and watch the plot unfold from three different perspectives.

It would be fun to see different stories entirely for each character, but I didn't personally feel cheated by the way GTA V was told. Like I said, right up my street. Besides, it was a different experience, and I always enjoy something new.

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

I liked it, although I think Franklin was pointless. But I understand he was in the game for San Andreas nostalgia and the fact that he was a young kid Michael and Trevor could teach sh*t to

Wug Shug
  • Wug Shug

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

I think they should have only done 1 or 2. Stronger character development.

skittlez86
  • skittlez86

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:29 PM Edited by bikerman3, 04 January 2014 - 09:30 PM.

yes about the multiple protagonists and the story the story was mostly about friendship loyalty and the the almighty dollar getting back to do what you do best and not some Serbian war vet who can't let go of his past so he went to America because his drunk cousin lied to him and got him in trouble with with some bad men who sold him out ya a really great story 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users