Quantcast

» «
Photo

So, in your opinion, did multiple protagonists pay off?

64 replies to this topic
Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

Surprisingly I haven't seen a single thread to specifically ask this question since the game came out: Are you satisfied with having multiple protagonists?

In my opinion it was great, it allowed for the stories events to work a lot easier as one single character doesn't have to be present at each and every single important event. And while I didn't feel the same connection to the characters as I have with previous games, it's due to the story length and not the actual system itself. If it had been one character, and the same length it would have been fine, however cramping three people into such a short story was very much a short coming. Overall however, I would like to see it again in future, as long as the story is much longer.
  • stjimmy3, Gta_V_Fan_101 and Caligastia like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:38 AM

It did pay off, atleast for me. Honestly right now, Im thinking what kind of Protagonist R* could of had done if it wasn't for the trio idea.

SkyWest1218
  • SkyWest1218

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

I think three was a bit much. Two would have been good, but with three, it made the gameplay feel a bit scattered with switching between three protagonists the whole time.

• NinjaWJ likes this

MrIbby
  • MrIbby

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:45 AM Edited by MrIbby, 19 November 2013 - 06:45 AM.

No, it was a great idea but unfortunately there were sacrifices made.
Such as a bad story and bad character development
  • NinjaWJ, Witchking Of Angmar, JustOneMonth and 1 other like this

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

Yes, I loved it. I hope it continues (though I can't see them doing more than three). I loved switching to another character and dropping in on their lives (especially Trevor since he is always up to something insane, like riding as scooter with his "Scooter Brothers" or tying a man to the bottom of the pier.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

Perhaps they didn't take full advantage of the idea, but it helped make the story more unique in that they didn't have to give a stupid reason for us to be doing everything. There are things I'd like to see them do in the future in regards to the characters but I would say it was a success overall.

• JustOneMonth likes this

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

Yes it was great. It really just made me appreciate everything in the game much more, taking the world in from three different perspectives, and allowing me to play the game in different personalities depending on the protagonist. I love the way it switches to each character and the random funny things you find them doing (especially Trevor  :lol:)

Thank you Rockstar, your innovation was a success!  :^:

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:56 AM

I thoroughly enjoy it. Adds alot to the experience. For me atleast, it's as though you are viewing the game from a different perspective when you switch to a different character. I play differently as Michael than I would as Trevor, for example, and that really adds to the experience. 

• JustOneMonth likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

For me it was a great idea in theory, but in practice I feel like Casper possessing someone. I also think some of the previews sugarcoated it. It's not really as free as it was made out to be.

Every mission that involved 2 or all 3 of them didn't always allow you to switch to whoever you like. For instance the missions where they were all in a car I would've liked to have been a passenger and kicked back instead of driving.

It's got a lot of potential, but still needs work IMO.

• NinjaWJ and nobum62 like this

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:38 AM Edited by tom_p1980, 19 November 2013 - 08:41 AM.

I thought it worked ok-ish but it could have been so much better. As for it paying off? I'm not sure.

Yes I am a fan of Michael, Trevor and Franklin, however I felt that because the story was so short that 3 protags was too much. For a story this short and character development this poor, 1 or maybe 2 would have been suffice. Because the story was so short and badly written the 3 protag element was squandered and now we are left with a sub-par GTA with an easily forgettable storyline and equally forgettable protags.

If anything good can come from this, it's that 3 protags can work, if they are given a decent, well written storyline and better character development. 

Will we see multiple protags in a future GTA? more than likely. However I think as the emphasis in games change (& GTA will follow down this path too) from content/quality to graphics and games become even more shorter and less story driven any more than 2 protags is going to be a waste.

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

I will keep this short.

Yes it was fun playing with 3 protagonists. 

But, to switch back and forth was a pain in the ass, needs improvement.

Overall  :^:

• Caligastia likes this

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

It killed the story

yonatan755
  • yonatan755

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

Was the story that bad?
I am waiting for pc,but if the story and singleplayer is bad then I have no reason to get the game

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Was the story that bad?
I am waiting for pc,but if the story and singleplayer is bad then I have no reason to get the game

The story is nothing praiseworthy but not that bad either.

The same applies for single-player and overall game experience. 

And, this applies strictly to console version.

If you just take a look through the forums, IMO GTA V is the most boring GTA game to discuss on forums ever. I had a day to chill out and decided to play online all day and interestingly, Rockstar never estimated such a great response for GTAO and Crashes, Bugs and glitches f*cked the online experience in a bad form. I am done with GTAO already.

Now that I've got some experience in the game and know how to beat several ways. I'm getting more and more bored from the game except untill the PC version comes out.

Spoiler

• Osho likes this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:47 AM Edited by Official General, 19 November 2013 - 10:32 PM.

It worked just fine. but it was let down by large parts of the main storyline being ruined by poor script writing, very uninteresting personal stories for the 3 protagonists and a lack of side missions for two of them to do (Franklin and Michael). 

• Bizdaddy likes this

Katve
  • Katve

Lost in Liberty City

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Multiple protagonists is great idea and in GTA V it has been done pretty nicely. Missions were interesting and fun to play. Story was too short with only 69 missions and couple of them was like " Steal car" or " Buy mask". I hope GTA VI got longer story around 90 - 100 missions like in SA and IV. I still liked V and multiple protagonists made it better than it would have ever been with just one.

drr26
  • drr26

"he don't talk too much"

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

I hope they do it again. But you can't just have 69 missions and include 'buy 3 masks - mission complete - silver'  with 3 protags. More story missions with the actual switch sequences, that also are not forced upon you so much. 

I do love playing the missions again and trying slightly alternate approaches, as opposed to 1 person holding off everyone while the AI hardly does anything. 

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

It's interesting, but I still miss the traditional way of having one character. One character only allows for a much deeper story and the 3 protag thing made gta v lose that ''adventure'' effect that previous gta games had.

Caligastia
  • Caligastia

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Very good question, thank you.  I expected this to kill the story like Mr. Rocko, when I bought the game, I bought it for online because of this.  I thought I would miss the Claude, Vercetti, CJ type of story line.  But I got all three in one story, the only thing I think is lacking is more missions.  A longer time as the individual characters with more independent and personal missions.  In the end though, I loved the way this worked.  I hope to see more of it in the future. 

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Did it pay off? Yes and no.

It aims to give every player at least one protag they will like and also adds some role playing elements. It would have been smarter to have offered a female if mass appeal was the goal.

It allowed for multiple takes of a single mission or NPC interaction IF you want to replay to see the differences. Cool option many won't realize exists, let alone utilize and thus appreciate. These variances may account for why there were less main missions. Theory: If there are three versions of each, that turns 69 into 207 in terms of the writing. It would be cool if someone documented how many missions change depending on the protagonist.

You could use a team strategy (pseudo-FPS tactics), each with their own tasks and toggle back and forth during some missions or in freeroam. Cool.

Having 3 characters that carry on in their lives is a neat concept. Trevor had the best off-scene to on-scene transitions. Michael's family ones were expected. But Franklin's? Ironing? Really? LOL

But because of the short story shared by them and the serious underuse of each protag's people, it made each "perspective" a hollow view and not in a satirical way, it's just plain superficial.

For 3 protagonists to really come alive, they need to be able to interact with more supporting characters and NPCs. Imagine if THAT happened after 100% completion.

Another point/Keeping track: Having 3 made it difficult to remember stuff. Examples: I completed the shooting range but with which character? Which character did I use to save X vehicle? I bought a bunch of guns with Trevor... Or was it Franklin? Did I make all 3 talk to this NPC yet? Etc.

The switching mechanism itself was well designed. The switch prompt was helpful when learning how/when to use it. The # of open missions for each was helpful too.

Customizations: 3 characters gives us a variety of haircuts and clothes, each set specific to whatever stereotype R* felt like perpetuating. Haircuts for all 3 are dull and unimaginative. Yes, I want way more options than that. Franklin can't have long or short dreds? No pigtails for Trevor in his dress? Mike can't have a faux Mohawk to match his mid-life crisis? No funky colors for any of them? Nothing fun with the facial hair either. Zzzzz.

Overall: It was an interesting new feature that was sometimes helpful and broke the monotony. But I think I prefer one character to digest and become attached to. I feel that supporting characters, if well written and interactive, can give us the different cultural perspectives based on their personality and location. As is, we don't really get to know these 3 or much about any of their family or friends. It was obvious Trevor was the most developed character.
  • SmoothGetaway and Bizdaddy like this

Bizdaddy
  • Bizdaddy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

I hope they do it again but with much better execution, when I first heard about it I thought it sounded stupid but really I enjoyed it more than I thought even though the execution could have been better.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

In my opinion, no.

Being forced sometimes to switch characters annoyed me, for instance, Surveying the Score, I didn't want to pilot the helicopter at all throughout the mission, yet I was forced to. A lot of times I wanted to play from one of the protagonists' point of view, but it was locked.

A lot of times it didn't work at all. I don't understand the need for Rockstar to create more than a protagonist, one protagonist per game worked fine so far.

@Yonatan, the story wasn't that great, if you want me to vaguely tell you what it was about I will PM you. Let me know.

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Trick

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Yes, but like people stated above, the story was not as compelling as previous GTA games.

Waldie
  • Waldie

Dickensian Mockney

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

From a gameplay viewpoint, I think it's one of the best things to happen to the series.

• Bizdaddy likes this

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Surprisingly, it did.

I had mixed feelings about, what they did it is basically against the almighty GTA code.

But it was refreshing to switch between the characters and to see their life.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

I think it was a good idea, and loved the missions that switched perspectives!

I wish there were side activities that utilized all three character though. Even if we could switch between the characters when they were together off mission would've been nice.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Having said that though, I'd rather the next GTA go back to being just one protagonist, especially if it's gonna be set in Vice City. 

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

I believe so. Having multiple protagonists makes the game even more enjoyable. It was nice switching around and seeing what each character is up to in their daily lives. I also loved the missions that switched perspectives. I wouldn't mind seeing multiple protagonists in future GTA games.

theregomatt
  • theregomatt

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

1 protag wouldve made story better for me but 3 protags in free roam pays off

BMW Sterling
  • BMW Sterling

(_o_Y_o_)

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:02 AM Edited by BMW Sterling, 03 January 2014 - 10:48 AM.

It would've been better with 3 protags and 3 different stories that intertwine a few times which causes an effect on another protags story. Kinda like GTA 4.

Michael's being an infamous Bank Robber who has a quota of robbing at least 10 different banks to pay off his mobs debts, the FIB's blackmailings, and to keep him living the lavish lifestyle and provide for his family. On the side, he can be a hitman for the mob and FIB because he's such a good shot and it pays well. However someone screws him over badly which creates an antagonist of whoever

Franklin being a gangbanger who is dealing with friendship issues and hood problems. The Ballers leader rolled on his brother and his girl is screwing Lamar. Now Franklin has to balance the disloyalty of his good friend and the revenge on the ballas. He also finds there is a rumor going around claiming that Franklins a snitch which begins to lower Franks reputation in the Chamberlain Grove Families. Lastly the Aztecaz gang is developing a solid relationship with the ballas and both want Grove eliminated. Franklin has to balance all of this out as an OG and settle things with the Ballas along with his own crew and himself..

Trevor being a Drug kingpin who has been in a feud with Johnny and the Lost. The Lost want Trevor to stop dealing on their turf but Trevor doesn't give a damn and this upsets the Lost and Johnny. Later on in his story Johnny and Trevor make a deal that satisfies both Trevor and Johnny. However after 4 weeks into the deal, Tao and the Triads setup Johnny and the lost after Trevor refers the lost to sell to the triads. The triads take out 9 lost members and steal the drugs from the lost. Johnny believes Trevor set him up and this starts an all out war. Johnny confronts Trevor while he's screwing his girl Ashley and gets killed by being stomped. This would of course anger his remaining biker friends and trevor and his boys get into a shootout with them killing them all. Other rivals including The Oniel brothers are all killed later in this story and now Trevor has to find a way to take the Triads out that screwed up his once successful partnership with the lost.

There. 3 different stories they could've worked with along with each story being around 80 missions each.
  • matajuegos01 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users