What Happened To The Heavy Metal?

71 replies to this topic
Squidy
  • Squidy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

Hello All,

I am new to the forums and one of these threads has probably already been made so in advance sorry if there is.

Rockstar - Worst Channel X ever, whatever happened to the good old metal you used to place into GTA games? I really hope that you will patch in a Heavy Metal \m/ radio station soon. You have all other genres barring metal (punk rock is not metal do not know who you are trying to fool there), seems like you got something against Heavy Metal? PM me for a list I have plenty to choose from lol.

Cheers \m/ \m/

• daliakiller likes this

L0st-D4md
  • L0st-D4md

Lost, Damned, Insane

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:40 AM Edited by L0st-D4md, 19 November 2013 - 06:42 AM.

Once you listen through the heavy metal on EFLC, its hard to come to terms that were stuck with Punk music on GTA V. The songs on Channel X aren't really that bad, except I don't give a f*ck hearing about some AMOEBAAAAA the DJ is apparently obsessed with. Still, I would have preferred some f*cking METAL!

Don't worry, once I'm doing the endgame rampages, I'll turn down the music and start playing Death Metal songs on my phone.

BODY COUNT RISING
MUTILATION
DEVASTATION
SCREAM OF THE SKY
METAL FANS
ROCKSTAR IS NOT
LISTENINGGGGGG!

:rah:

• B Dawg likes this

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:50 AM Edited by Baramos, 19 November 2013 - 07:50 AM.

The only games with metal were Lost and the Damned and Vice City, so it's not in EVERY game.

Channel X is supposed to be punk rock (however you define that).

The radio in this game is not a particularly good facscimile of real life(I'm sure there are plenty of stations that play metal in the real LA), but I felt it hit the right tone for the setting they created. Keep in mind that each character has a couple of stations basically dedicated to the type of character they are and the fact that it had to feel representative of what we THINK OF when we think of Los Angeles, and you'll see why a metal station wasn't really in the cards. When you have to cover classic/soft rock, rap and hip-hop, hipster rock, California-based R&B, etc. and you can only dedicate so much money and resources to it, even if it's unrealistic that there isn't a sort of generic metal station as there is in every major city, it's serving the purpose of staying true to the feel of the game they wanted to create.

• Halo_Override likes this

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

I can't stand punk. I thought R* was getting back on track when they finally turned LCHC into a decent station in TLAD (the station was utter sh*t in IV), but it appears they've gone back to punk ass music now. Whyyyyyyyyyyy........... -_-

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

Who cares? Punk and metal both suck. Its pure noise. You hear one Ramones song, you've heard them all. You hear one Cradle of Filth song, you've heard them all.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

I like Radio Los Santos or West Coast Classics

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:13 AM Edited by B Dawg, 19 November 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Who cares? Punk and metal both suck. Its pure noise. You hear one Ramones song, you've heard them all. You hear one Cradle of Filth song, you've heard them all.

You need some guidance. You obviously haven't found Metal that you would like YET. There is good music in almost every genre, stay away from the mainstream crap.

Militia
  • Militia

Unique/Proof/EC Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hello All,

I am new to the forums and one of these threads has probably already been made so in advance sorry if there is.

Rockstar - Worst Channel X ever, whatever happened to the good old metal you used to place into GTA games? I really hope that you will patch in a Heavy Metal \m/ radio station soon. You have all other genres barring metal (punk rock is not metal do not know who you are trying to fool there), seems like you got something against Heavy Metal? PM me for a list I have plenty to choose from lol.

Cheers \m/ \m/

Hey man, I run a metal blog and we post albums daily on ZippyShare.  If you're interested in metal and new 2013/14 albums, you should send me a PM and I'll give you the URL to my blog.  I am also a big metal fan and miss the Vice City V-Rock Channel.  GTA V's metal/rock channel is pretty sh*tty...

Militia
  • Militia

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

I like Radio Los Santos or West Coast Classics

f*ck yeah.  Because this game lacks with metal/rock, I always play Radio Los Santos, it's kinda the new type of rap/hip-hop.  But the West Coast Classics owns, I grew up in that era of the best underground 90's hip-hop/rap.  Best channel in GTA V, imo.

awxb
  • awxb

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

The only games with metal were Lost and the Damned and Vice City, so it's not in EVERY game.

Add Vice city stories to that.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

I would love to hear some Disturbed or FFDP on the game, but i gotta say V's soundtrack is terrible. I love Rebel Radio, all six songs on it, but the radio in V is just shocking. Sure there's a few decent songs, and Bootsy's channel's alright... but still. I wish they gave us a "custom" one, where it would play a playlist from the HDD. That'd save it imo. I usually turn the radio off, something i never do in GTA. It grates me, especially when i hear that same f*cking "hood gone love it" crap over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again

PlanetaryUnfolding
  • PlanetaryUnfolding

atlas novus

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:17 PM Edited by PlanetaryUnfolding, 19 November 2013 - 04:18 PM.

how about some black dahlia murder, or some beneath the massacre? nah i dont see any good death metal being added to the radio stations. most likely because on mainstream radio stations, death metal is entirely absent. so im not getting my hopes up for any good melodic death metal, or technical progressive death metal materializing in a gta title. which is fine with me, i dont mind listening to whats on the radio stations in V. i just wish they had an ambient station like on IV. or even a jazz station.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

how about some black dahlia murder, or some beneath the massacre? nah i dont see any good death metal being added to the radio stations. most likely because on mainstream radio stations, death metal is entirely absent. so im not getting my hopes up for any good melodic death metal, or technical progressive death metal materializing in a gta title. which is fine with me, i dont mind listening to whats on the radio stations in V. i just wish they had an ambient station like on IV. or even a jazz station.

A few good points there. Mainstream radio. I never hear the proper metal on radio. Hell, i rarely ever heard Muse on the radio (i'd love them to be included)
Hell, I could sit and write "my" idea of GTA V radio, and i'm confident it'd be better than V
But i wonder if metal is left out deliberately for the above reason - it's not mainstream.
A BS reason, but its in TLAD due to the biker connection, in VC cos of 80s glamrock, in SA due to "generation X" and not in V because 90% of radio listeners listen to the same old sh*t.pop
 - pop music is an abbreviation of "popular music" remember.

And yeah - imagine cruising through the Vinewood hills/country roads with a jazz station playing..... heaven. I loved Fusion in IV.

And i think R* could have gotten round this by allowing custom radio stations - EA (the company that cba to make a decent game) managed it with Fifa 12/13, and it works surprisingly well. R* could pull it off but they want you listening to the music they paid for - perhaps there's copyright issues with using your own music...? I doubt it but hey.
I would happily pay £2/£3 for a custom radio station, as i'd slap a usb drive in my console and add all of my favourite songs from past GTAs , along with adverts etc. It'd be sweet...

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

You need some guidance. You obviously haven't found Metal that you would like YET. There is good music in almost every genre, stay away from the mainstream crap.

Uh, no. I own several Iron Maiden CD's, and I DO listen to everything that I like, regardless of genre. I like everything from Wu-Tang and Dre and Lil Wayne to RJD2 and Amon Tobin and Land of the Loops (all "trip hop") to Bob Dylan and Gordon Lightfoot and The Rolling Stones. But I don't even consider Iron Maiden "metal", because modern metal is so bad, whereas Maiden is more like hard rock to me (plus they dont suck). I even like Cradle of Filth's cover of "Hallowed be Thy Name", but the rest of their music is just noise. I'm not ignorant of metal and screamo, I just hate it.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

Uh, no. I own several Iron Maiden CD's, and I DO listen to everything that I like, regardless of genre. I like everything from Wu-Tang and Dre and Lil Wayne to RJD2 and Amon Tobin and Land of the Loops (all "trip hop") to Bob Dylan and Gordon Lightfoot and The Rolling Stones. But I don't even consider Iron Maiden "metal", because modern metal is so bad, whereas Maiden is more like hard rock to me (plus they dont suck). I even like Cradle of Filth's cover of "Hallowed be Thy Name", but the rest of their music is just noise. I'm not ignorant of metal and screamo, I just hate it.

As for "staying away from the mainstream", I only listen to music I've heard in movies or TV shows that I like and then download. I don't listen to whats on the radio or MTV ever.

• B Dawg likes this

Militia
  • Militia

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

The chatbox on my blog would blow up if you entered it.  Lol, I run a metal blog and we post all new 2013 albums.  It's been around since 2012.  If anybody wants good metal, let me know we post thrash metal, NWOBHM (which Iron Maiden certainly is) N.W.O.B.H.M. means New Wave of British Heavy Metal and includes heavy metal bands from UK/England, death metal, black metal, some deathcore/metalcore, which I absolutely hate and this is a bastard child of real metal (call me a metal eletist, doesn't bother me), power metal, doom metal, post-metal, etc.  We update daily.

Back on topic, yeah, the metal/rock stations on GTA V suck.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

Having the same genre every game would be boring.

But of cours they could have included the metal radio as separate station.

Everyone has his own taste

awxb
  • awxb

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

But i wonder if metal is left out deliberately for the above reason - it's not mainstream.

Not sure if you noticed, but about 50% of the music in this game is not mainstream.

KeepCalm and CarryGun
  • KeepCalm and CarryGun

Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:07 PM Edited by KeepCalm and CarryGun, 19 November 2013 - 11:08 PM.

This kinda sums it up, if i had my way, I'd have my own channel full of NIN, Sisters of Mercy, Alien Sex Fiend, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Gary Numan, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Xentrix and many more.

I'd then have another complete channel entirely dedicated to Joy Division. But that's me.

Music in GTA has to reflect the era it's set in, and ultimately appeal to a very broad range of musical tastes, as it is such a big selling game, it's gonna be played by a a huge range of gamers. Some musical genres will lose out.

Having listened to some of the less obvious radio stations, there is some good stuff in there, Mirror Park is definitely growing on me (indie is it? don't sound like Radiohead or Pulp to me). Enjoying it nonetheless.

Militia
  • Militia

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

This kinda sums it up, if i had my way, I'd have my own channel full of NIN, Sisters of Mercy, Alien Sex Fiend, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Gary Numan, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Xentrix and many more.

I'd then have another complete channel entirely dedicated to Joy Division. But that's me.

Music in GTA has to reflect the era it's set in, and ultimately appeal to a very broad range of musical tastes, as it is such a big selling game, it's gonna be played by a a huge range of gamers. Some musical genres will lose out.

Having listened to some of the less obvious radio stations, there is some good stuff in there, Mirror Park is definitely growing on me (indie is it? don't sound like Radiohead or Pulp to me). Enjoying it nonetheless.

Xentrix, great thrash, I have all four full length albums.

IoX WOLF XoI
  • IoX WOLF XoI

WOLF

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

black flag, suicidal tendencies and descendents are the bomb. It would also be pretty cool to have a metal station too to be honest. I also like listening to radio mirror park and radio los santos because there is also some pretty awesome tunes on them as well.

KeepCalm and CarryGun
  • KeepCalm and CarryGun

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:54 PM Edited by KeepCalm and CarryGun, 20 November 2013 - 12:03 AM.

o

KeepCalm and CarryGun
  • KeepCalm and CarryGun

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

Great band, seen them live, They gave my mate the sticks from the gig (he was budding drummer) tho understandably those sticks were knackered  :)

Militia
  • Militia

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:28 AM

Great band, seen them live, They gave my mate the sticks from the gig (he was budding drummer) tho understandably those sticks were knackered  :)

Haha, I actually have over 1000 thrash full lengths, lol, downloaded of course.  To own them, I'd need to be a millionaire, if not a billionaire lol  I also am Admin on a metal blog using ZippyShare for uploading the albums.  Just metal, all genres, new albums.  In 2014 we'll be posting discographies of all the old school thrash bands lol.  Haha, I got a lot more interests besides GTA V.  I do GTA and this forum in my spare time.

Crimson Glyph
  • Crimson Glyph

Garfunkel Squirts

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:17 AM Edited by Crimson Glyph, 20 November 2013 - 03:18 AM.

Cradle of Filth is garbage. We're talking about good metal.

Between the Buried and Me
Opeth
Death
Kataklysm
Lamb of God
Twelve Foot Ninja
Periphery
Devin Townsend
Cynic
Arsis
Bloodbath
Born of Osiris

I could go on...

It's only "pure noise" if you're an uneducated musician, or not a musician at all.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:27 AM

It's only "pure noise" if you're an uneducated musician, or not a musician at all.

Haha, yeah, if I don't enjoy idiots screaming in a completely non-melodic way, I must be a moron. Knock it off with that. That sh*t just sounds bad. ITS NOISE, not music. As for not being a musician, I don't play for anyone but family and friends, but I'm pretty damn good at both keyboards/piano and guitar, and I'm getting pretty good at harmonica too. I still think modern metal is garbage. But then again, what do I know? I'm just some uneducated schmuck.

Arrogant tool.

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:44 AM Edited by Baramos, 20 November 2013 - 03:46 AM.

Haha, yeah, if I don't enjoy idiots screaming in a completely non-melodic way, I must be a moron. Knock it off with that. That sh*t just sounds bad. ITS NOISE, not music. As for not being a musician, I don't play for anyone but family and friends, but I'm pretty damn good at both keyboards/piano and guitar, and I'm getting pretty good at harmonica too. I still think modern metal is garbage. But then again, what do I know? I'm just some uneducated schmuck.

Arrogant tool.

There are several different genres of metal. You are generalizing. There is melodic death metal like Opeth. There is a lot of progressive rock/metal band like modern-era King Crimson, Tool, or Anathema.

Here is a good example of melodic metal:

That's not even getting into power metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmWuepH90o0

You have to kind of LOOK for metal that may suit you but those in the know can point you towards it.

• Crimson Glyph likes this

Crimson Glyph
  • Crimson Glyph

Garfunkel Squirts

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:44 AM Edited by Crimson Glyph, 20 November 2013 - 03:45 AM.

Arrogant tool.

You clearly are, and have no education on how to scream with technique (without ruining your throat). The reason screams are incorporated is so that the guitars can play melodies the vocals would be singing. Not to mention most bands I listen to also sing clean when it's appropriate. You, my friend, are ignorant.

Anyway, I pretty much tune to West Coast Talk Radio, because there is barely any good music in the game. Next best thing is comedy, and that's what WCTR is.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

You clearly are, and have no education on how to scream with technique (without ruining your throat).

The most singularly idiotic argument all scream fans use. Just because you have to have proper technique to scream without f*cking your throat up does NOT mean it sounds good, which all GOOD music does. I don't care how skilled these morons are at screaming, its still just screaming, not singing.

If I wanna hear jackasses scream, I'll go downtown and watch the crackheads fight. Once one of the crackheads looking on as two of them beat the sh*t out of each other yelled "QWAH, NIGGA!" (he was trying to say "quarrel", I do belive). I guess to you that would be a hit single though.

You're, ironically, a musical elitist with sh*t taste in music. Screaming is not, and never will be, music.

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:39 AM Edited by Baramos, 20 November 2013 - 04:41 AM.

Okay, I just have to say, you come off as incredibly elitist yourself. You describe the people making metal music as "idiots" and "jackasses" and call it noise. You called him an arrogant tool, when at worst he implied you were uneducated about music (I would say you seem uneducated about metal, anyway). It's just incredibly asinine. You went out of your way to be inflammatory and you're surprised when someone who likes metal takes offense?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users