Quantcast

» «
Photo

what Rating would you give the Storyline in V? (1-10)

69 replies to this topic

Poll: what rating from 1-10 would you give The Storyline? (148 member(s) have cast votes)

what is the FAIR rating for the Storyline?

1. 1/10 a f*cking AWFUL mess (5 votes [3.38%])

Percentage of vote: 3.38%

2. 2/10 VERY Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3/10 poor (6 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

4. 4/10 slighly below Medicore (5 votes [3.38%])

Percentage of vote: 3.38%

5. 5/10 Medicore (12 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

6. 6/10 Deacent/Ok (24 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

7. 7/10 Good (24 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

8. 8/10 VERY Good (40 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

9. 9/10 Fantastic (23 votes [15.54%])

Percentage of vote: 15.54%

10. 10/10 (a Masterpiece! that puts Tarantino and Scorsese to shame!!) (9 votes [6.08%])

Percentage of vote: 6.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote
GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:55 AM

some people seem to hate it some people seem to love it whats your Rating?

MrIbby
  • MrIbby

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

It was an awful mess, definitely a 1/10. I might just sell my copy.
  • VVipeSide and Dodgers2013Champs like this

Dodgers2013Champs
  • Dodgers2013Champs

Trick

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

0/10
  • carl turtle and VVipeSide like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

I would say a 7/10. It was pretty interesting until the FIB came into it and f*cked everything up.

• UltraGizmo64 and TGroves14 like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

7/10. Good, but not great.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

5/10. I would give it more but I have to compare it to previous Rockstar products and ... considering their usual standards of storytelling ... its quite sh*t. GTA IV and RDR take a dump on V.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:40 AM

I would say a 7/10. It was pretty interesting until the FIB came into it and f*cked everything up.

Haha, I was about to say 7/10 too. I personally didn't really mind the FIB all that much, but I felt the story was inconsistent and in a way it felt like Rockstar tried too hard to make it over-the-top -- then overhype it pre-release. And meeting Trevor certainly did put a bad taste in my mouth when it came to him

Spoiler

• saintsrow and Mr. Sleepy like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:49 AM

Haha, I was about to say 7/10 too. I personally didn't really mind the FIB all that much, but I felt the story was inconsistent and in a way it felt like Rockstar tried too hard to make it over-the-top -- then overhype it pre-release. And meeting Trevor certainly did put a bad taste in my mouth when it came to him

Spoiler

I wouldn't have cared if it didn't make up such a large part of the game. Every GTA has some sort of law enforcement involvement, but in GTA V it feels like too much. The fact half of the heists are because FIB tells us to annoys me. I want to pull off heists out of my own free will. Not because of FIB dickwads telling me to do it.

Overall the entire story lacks prominent criminal figures. I miss the Sonny, Woozie, Faustin, Salvatore types etc. Madrazo had so much potential, but nooooooooooooo lets involve some rich asshole with more money than sense and an FIB douche that probably likes to touch himself at night.

• The Odyssey and stepladder like this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

In terms of overall plot? For a GTA game? - 8/10

It was pretty diverse, which it essentially had to be in order to cater for multiple protagonists. Yes, I agree the three seperate backgrounds/foregrounds could've been more in depth, but this wasn't like IV + episodes. This was a SINGLE game, so R* really had to limit what they could do in order to try and give us what they could for a game of this scale.

In terms of dialogue? For a GTA game? - 10/10

I genuinely thought the character scripts for our protags were on par with Tarantino/Rodriguez/etc. The cutscenes had tension, humour, drama, the lot. I actually felt very convinced watching the cutscenes, which also should be credited down to the VA's also. But all in all, the good dialogue was built on from IV, and just as great as MP3 and RDR, which only means good things for future R* titles.

• Big Gta fan likes this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

The beginning was good. The Trevor came into the picture, started acting like a bad-ass, sorta just ruined everything. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

• saintsrow, NinjaWJ and MrIbby like this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

Oh and Franklin should'nt had met Michael so soon. He should've met him like halfway in the game, that way he came make up some gang related missions and have more of his background instead of just here go and do this, steal this, kill this guy.

• 727gta likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

For what it was trying to achieve: 9/10

I think people, especially movie critics, don't take into consideration that not every entertainment product with a story is trying to win an Oscar. Some just want to entertain.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:02 AM

I think people, especially movie critics, don't take into consideration that not every entertainment product with a story is trying to win an Oscar. Some just want to entertain.

It was half-ass writing and you know it. I mean seriously why kill Johnny like that? If you played TLAD you know Johnny would never do the sh*t he did in V. What for? For shock value?? Give some background, tell us why's there, how they met, why is he f*cking ashley. NOTHING! Then at least I would be okay with it.

MrIbby
  • MrIbby

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:04 AM

Are you stupid?
How can you rate it for what it was trying to be?

Look at the Super Mario Bros Movie, I guess you would give that a 9/10 as well?

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

It was half-ass writing and you know it. I mean seriously why ###### like that? If you played TLAD you know Johnny would never do the sh*t he did in V. What for? For shock value?? Give some background, tell us why's there, how they met, why is he f*cking ashley. NOTHING! Then at least I would be okay with it.

Things change in five years.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:10 AM Edited by Mr_Goldcard, 19 November 2013 - 03:10 AM.

It was half-ass writing and you know it. I mean seriously why ###### like that? If you played TLAD you know Johnny would never do the sh*t he did in V. What for? For shock value?? Give some background, tell us why's there, how they met, why is he f*cking ashley. NOTHING! Then at least I would be okay with it.

But CJ didn't represent OG in 5 years but the ballas didn't give a sh*t.

• yonatan755 likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:11 AM

To be fair I do agree most of the dialogue was superb. "Bury The Hatchet" is one of the best cutscenes I've ever seen in a video game.

Nors
  • Nors

Guy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

I liked it when it was just Michael & Franklin.
  • Nikobellic303 likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

Spoiler

I wouldn't have cared if it didn't make up such a large part of the game. Every GTA has some sort of law enforcement involvement, but in GTA V it feels like too much. The fact half of the heists are because FIB tells us to annoys me. I want to pull off heists out of my own free will. Not because of FIB dickwads telling me to do it.

Overall the entire story lacks prominent criminal figures. I miss the Sonny, Woozie, Faustin, Salvatore types etc. Madrazo had so much potential, but nooooooooooooo lets involve some rich asshole with more money than sense and an FIB douche that probably likes to touch himself at night.

I agree with the heists part. I honestly thought we'd be doing these heists because the characters wanted to, like they'd have a desire to get more money and buy more things. But no, it's forced, and the characters don't really do anything with their money besides cars and Franklin's "okay" two story. I expected properties, a real drive for doing these heists, just more excitement.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

But CJ didn't represent OG in 5 years but the ballas didn't give a sh*t.

What does CJ have to do with Johnny K? Even in the TLAD Johnny was always saving Ashley from herself and this time his constant simping for her got him killed.

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:16 AM Edited by 2281, 19 November 2013 - 03:16 AM.

4/10. I thought it was interesting until all three protagonists came together believe it or not. Afterwards, it just went downhill - and don't get me started on that god-awful "superhero-style" happy ending. Ick.

Meekail
  • Meekail

Phenomenal

• Members
  • Maldives

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:33 AM

I voted for 7/10 (Good)

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

An 8. I loved the backstories, but the antagonists didn't feel like complete badasses like before.

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:03 AM Edited by Baramos, 19 November 2013 - 04:04 AM.

I voted 8/10 but upon reconsideration would probably put it down a little lower, 7/10 maybe. Honestly I would rate most of the GTAs at 7/10, with the LCS and VCS probably more at a 5/10 level.

Comparing it to Max Payne 2 (which would get a 10/10 from me) and RDRedemption (9/10).

• stepladder likes this

[ÁT]
  • [ÁT]

The Sword Swingin' Surgeon

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:04 AM

I thought the story was really bad tbh. It felt forced and patched together. Did anyone find how Michael and Franklin met felt really forced? Yeah this guy just threatend my life by putting a gun to my head, forced me to smash into my work place costing me my job.. but it's cool cause for some reason he gave me money for it so I'm gonna show up at his house unexpected and be bff4l with the dude.. lmao. No memorable antagonists because the short story didn't give enough time to dislike them. Stretch had Big Smoke potential but they f*cked that up.. did anyone really give a sh*t about killing the tacked on FIB/rich douche they just kind of tacked on mid way through the story? I know I didn't..

• NinjaWJ likes this

roostersrule2
  • roostersrule2

I'm Batman

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:09 AM

7.5-8

[ÁT]
  • [ÁT]

The Sword Swingin' Surgeon

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

realized i forgot to rate.. also a lot of errors in my post.. typing on my ps3 reduces my attention span.. 4/10 for me

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

I give it an 8, it's very good but it still misses a few things. Madrazzo was so underused I wondered why they went to the trouble of making him appear scary in the first place. Franklin, never even felt like he had ever been in a gang, so when he moved to Vinewood Hills and the story shifted more to Mike and Trevor it wasn't extremely spectacular. He also didn't plan a single heist, something I expected based on dialogue early in the game.

Like others have said, the dialogue and performances by the actors are outstanding and really make this work come to life. I wouldn't have minded the FIB stuff at all if Madrazzo and Franklin had bigger roles.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

8/10.

+ Exciting storyline
+ 3 protagonist narrative worked well
+ No more filler missions

Minus points:

- Badly written main ending (A&B were pure garbage)
- Lack of a main antagonist.

SkyWest1218
  • SkyWest1218

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:03 AM Edited by SkyWest1218, 19 November 2013 - 07:03 AM.

6/10.

It was a fun story, but there wasn't anything that I found particularly compelling about it. By the end I felt nothing, no sort of sympathy, no attachment...or anything for that matter...for any of the characters. To me they were just characters, nothing more. And the antagonist? Well, first off, which one of them was THE antagonist? While I understand they had three different characters, all of whom had their own respective antagonists (sorta), it also came off as three different storylines, all of which poorly written, that they decided to throw together into a single plot. And it showed. Depending on the ending you chose, there may not have even been an actual ending. Option C seems to be the only one where everything was wrapped up, but endings A and B didn't actually deal with the antagonists in any way. They were simply left alone - ignored, as though they weren't ever really much of a problem. They just sorta fall off the radar for no apparent reason and whichever person you kill ends up being nothing more than a half-baked attempt to bury this detail under a weak plot twist. And it just doesn't work. I finished the story, and immediately thought to myself, "so...that's it?" The fact that I finished the game in only 18 hours doesn't help much either. When I purchased it, I knew I wasn't going to get a polished version of GTA IV, which itself was pretty long. But that being said, I expected it to be at least a 30 hour story, but rather than fully developing the characters, adding interesting plot devices/events, they decided to put more time into the side activities and online. Not that I don't like either of those two, but in my view, the story should take priority. By the time it concluded, it felt like it should have only been the end of the first act, or maybe the first half. Which really makes my wonder, considering how sub-standard and all-around unfinished this game feels, what did they spend most of those supposed five years of development doing? Aside from the shiny environment, which I must commend them on, as it's one of the few things they nailed in this game, it's almost as if they only spent two years in serious development on this, if that. And even if that's the case, they should still have more to show for it.

Okay. Off my soap box now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users