Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why some people think SA "feels" bigger..

30 replies to this topic
Foxtrot_Uniform
  • Foxtrot_Uniform

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:48 PM Edited by Foxtrot_Uniform, 18 November 2013 - 07:48 PM.

.. I think it's because SA focusses on a bigger area than GTA V. It's smaller, but it gives you the feeling of being in a whole state with diverese countryside and three cities. We don't have to talk about the lame draw distance in the old game, we all know that.

GTA V focusses on a very small area but it has more realistic measures, SA was more "toy"-like. I think Chiliad alone would cover more than two SA cities. GTA V's map has more realistic terms of scale, is bigger than old SA but represents just a "tiny" area of the state.

The only thing I dislike is that Trevor's dialogues in the SP story try telling you Sandy Shores is "an hour from Los Santos" or... he told Franklin that Paleto Bay is "four hours from Los Santos".. I had to laugh at these sentences, seriously. GTA V may be big, but - like I said - it focusses on a smaller area and in my opinion you never feel "hours away" or "lost" from Los Santos. I always feel like I'm in a LS-neighbourhood.

I love both maps, but I prefer GTA V's map.

Your thoughts?

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

Don't forget, in GTA Time, every 48 seconds is an hour, but Trevor did mess up a bit, as Sandy Shores is closer to Paleto than it is to Los Santos, so where that mysterious time jump comes from is weird, if LS to SS is only an Hour, then it should barely be two hours from LS to PB in game time wise.

Elscoumouno95
  • Elscoumouno95

Bleeder burger eater !

• Members
  • France

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

In GTA III games a minute is a second, in GTA IV a minute is 2 seconds, in GTA V a minute is 3 seconds !

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

Old Fart

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

Don't forget, in GTA Time, every 48 seconds is an hour, but Trevor did mess up a bit, as Sandy Shores is closer to Paleto than it is to Los Santos, so where that mysterious time jump comes from is weird, if LS to SS is only an Hour, then it should barely be two hours from LS to PB in game time wise.

I think he was talking regular drive.  Going balls out is why it only takes an hour or two.

Foxtrot_Uniform
  • Foxtrot_Uniform

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

yeah that's true. but I don't think Paleto feels "hours" away from LS. ;)

Jay_
  • Jay_

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

yeah that's true. but I don't think Paleto feels "hours" away from LS. ;)

Maybe it is if they drive within the speed limit lol

OP - The cars are slower too, so it took a while to get to places which made it the map feel bigger

Nikobomber
  • Nikobomber

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

The dialogue is supposed to be realistic . Even though the map isn't that big they do that as if it was.

streetx1xracer
  • streetx1xracer

F*kn magnets, how do they work?

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

And gtasa draw distance is very short compared to gta5.

And cars in gtasa go slow if you think about it, so it makes you feel it's big.

Some people think that more cities make it bigger, but technically no.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

When you sleep as Trevor, you seem to sleep more hours lol

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

I think it's the fact that it had 3 cities while V only had one. You feel like you've traveled somewhere instead of having no where to go but back to the same city and the small towns. I would have loved it if V had another city, but oh well, love the map anyway. That ofc and the sh*t draw distance.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

It said online that Michael sleeps 6 hours, Franklin sleeps 8 hours and Trevor sleeps 12 hours.

Jack Reacher
  • Jack Reacher

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Also I think its due to restricted access, this is like the first time we haven't had parts of the map restricted from us early in the game. I really wish it did though I love trying to break in and see what I can do.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

It said online that Michael sleeps 6 hours, Franklin sleeps 8 hours and Trevor sleeps 12 hours.

Yes, something like that.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Speaking about JUST the exterior map:

I think people should consider the block sizes of V's LS and SA's LS. If you use THAT scale, then V's map size is not impressively large. It only feels bigger when onfoot on a mountainside.

However the sizes of buildings and the widths of paved roads are larger in V. In SA, the player seemed too tall in relation to residential area buildings and too large when standing near a skyscraper.

You can say draw distance is a point but not really. Mods allow max draw distance so that you can see from one side of the map to the other in SA - just as you can increase top speeds of vehicles.

I think V's map size is far smaller than claimed, period. That said, every part of it is FAR more detailed than any previous GTA. I prefer quality over quantity.

To really know, we need actual square miles to work with and I haven't seen that published anywhere.

One thing people seem to overlook is this: In aircraft at high altitudes, you have the effect of reaching the top of a bubble (dome) and THAT makes the whole map feel smaller. In SA, you had FLAT skies with zero curve to it.

I think the Mount Josiah area should have been a 2nd smaller city. They could have kept the beautiful marshes and still done that. Adding a lush forest with log cabins along Mt. Chiliad would have been amazing. With these changes, people would probably complain less.

I was disappointed in its overall size and some of its design but equally blown away by the details and the faux details. Nearly everything is featured in this map but with plenty of room to build on and THAT gives modders MANY ideas. If you look closely at these details, the map is an intelligent build. If it's technically as large as claimed, then R* did a great job avoiding the peril of a map so big it's aggravating to travel. (Not that I'd complain, I love large maps.)

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Also I think its due to restricted access, this is like the first time we haven't had parts of the map restricted from us early in the game. I really wish it did though I love trying to break in and see what I can do.

That is why I didn't go near Sandy Shores until Trevor came along. I liked discovering him and the area at the same time. It felt like a whole new world.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

Something I forgot to mention...

Altitude and total land mass. If you were to flatten V and allow for displacement (of the area lost by flattening it) then spread it outward, THEN we'd see a much larger map in terms of length and width. I believe this, along with including interiors, underground surface areas, and the sea floor... is HOW R* could claim it is bigger than blah bitty blah. In the future, they should just provide square miles so we can get a better sense of what to expect.

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:56 AM

I love both maps, but I prefer GTA V's map.

Your thoughts?

I prefer GTA V's Map but it's begging for a living, breathing world compared to previous GTA's. Currently it's good but not enough.

• Osho likes this

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

San Andreas gave us 5 diverse areas. SF, LS, the Vegas area, the country side, and of course the wonderful desert.

GTA 5 was basically GTA Los Santos. They spent all their time making the city look shiny with graphics and adding so much detail. In the end it felt small cause there really was nothing left but things to drool at.

The only thing I hated about San Andreas was driving all the distances. You drive for 10-15 minutes straight sometimes just to get way across the country. It would be a pain if you couldn't go from LS to Sandy Shores in less than 5 minutes.

Insincere
  • Insincere

Hustler

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:34 PM Edited by TheTruthOnly, 26 November 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Draw distance is the key to that 'feel'. SA is pretty big anyway, almost 14sq miles, if it had one proper city with surroundings that size would be perfect, but it has 3 cities with different surrounding areas and also few towns spread across the map. Draw distance make whole area much bigger and every scale trick unnoticeable.

And because of scale cities are actually reaally small, distances between them are ridiculous too. Like op said it everything have toy like scale, to pack more things on too small for that space, for example US Bank Tower in SA is smaller than in V. It's really confusing when you look at them, you could think they are the same, because they look same. This thing applies to almost everything else when comparing buildings, cities overall etc from SA with V.

Here's a rough example of that:

bxbg.jpg

But when you played SA you couldn't really notice that, because of Draw Distance. It felt enormous, also story in SA enhanced that feel a lot.

Anyway, V map is much better for me. Just like IV map over III map.

hhamzah99
  • hhamzah99

Call me.. Heisenberg.

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

y u do dis

JumpingKentFlash
  • JumpingKentFlash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

I think they should have put Sandy Shores at the very north of the map. It would feel like it is much longer out than SS at it's current location is.

ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Draw distance is the key to that 'feel'. SA is pretty big anyway, almost 14sq miles, if it had one proper city with surroundings that size would be perfect, but it has 3 cities with different surrounding areas and also few towns spread across the map. Draw distance make whole area much bigger and every scale trick is unnoticeable.

And because of scale cities are actually reaally small, distances between them are ridiculous too. Like op said it everything have toy like scale, to pack more things on too small for that space, for example US Bank Tower in SA is smaller than in V. It's really confusing when you look at them, you could think they are the same, because they look same. This thing applies to almost everything else when comparing buildings, cities overall etc from SA with V.

Here's a rough example of that:

bxbg.jpg

But when you played SA you couldn't really notice that, because of Draw Distance. It felt enormous, also story in SA enhanced that feel a lot.

Anyway, V map is much better for me. Just like IV map over III map.

Awesome comparison shot, is the SA image running in the RAGE engine?

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Weird to see San Andreas with a larger draw distance. Looks pretty small, my whole life is a lie.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

TheTruthOnly explained it very well. San Andreas's draw distance is trick that R* put to give San Andreas's state much bigger feeling. They made it like that because if they used normal draw distance, the state would look tiny and unrealistic as hell. Since you could see from one point three cities and almost the whole map. Also, three different cities and San Andreas's story along with small draw distance made map looks much bigger and closer to real state. That actually was a clever part that R* did, but it also gives people fake picture of map, and that's why everyone says San Andrea's map is bigger than V's map, while it only feels bigger. Anyway, however it feels, V map is bigger and more detailed. As Wolfhuman said, 'my whole life is a lie'. But some people still don't want to accept truth after all those evidences and explanations, they don't have to. But it's the truth. I think this case needs to be slowed once forever since there are million threads like this, and it's talked to the death. Just go along. 

Insincere
  • Insincere

Hustler

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Awesome comparison shot, is the SA image running in the RAGE engine?

Yes of course. It's from IV:SA mod.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Weird to see San Andreas with a larger draw distance. Looks pretty small, my whole life is a lie.

You're seeing the reality of the map sizes.

This is why I hate all the SA nostalgia kiddies who say SA is bigger than V. No it is absolutely not. Scale alone blows SA out of the water. Los Santos in V is probably the size of LS + SF + LV all combined into one. Now throw in the massive countryside and its no comparison.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

You're seeing the reality of the map sizes.

This is why I hate all the SA nostalgia kiddies who say SA is bigger than V. No it is absolutely not. Scale alone blows SA out of the water. Los Santos in V is probably the size of LS + SF + LV all combined into one. Now throw in the massive countryside and its no comparison.

I loved gta san andreas, but its indeed no match.

Tupiz
  • Tupiz

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

It actually does feel bigger somehow. 3 cities and the long drawing distance are the obvious reasons.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

That is why I didn't go near Sandy Shores until Trevor came along. I liked discovering him and the area at the same time. It felt like a whole new world.

Same. I stayed specifically in the city until I unlocked Trevor (about twelve hours in).

Njale
  • Njale

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

If something feels biggers than it doesn't matter if it's bigger in reality. The feeling is all that matters, and R* in 2004 on PS2 definitely pushed the limits more than they did now with GTA V.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users