Photo

GTA ONLINE WAS PLANNED BACK IN 1999

36 replies to this topic
Loxley
  • Loxley

This member is no longer active.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:56 AM Edited by elburrosleftnut, 18 November 2013 - 04:57 AM.

fIl6Y83.jpg

(PC Zone 83 - December 1999 - page 21)

I have just found some info about unreleased GTA Online game. In 1999. DMA announced two GTA games: GTA 3D and Grand Theft Auto: Online Crime World.

"As a result, the Company expects the acquisition to be accretive in
both fiscal years 1999 and 2000. The Company plans to utilize the DMA
Design team as a high-end source of creatively diverse product for
Sony's upcoming PlayStation 2 platform as well as the PC and the
Internet. DMA will continue to develop Grand Theft Auto titles for
publication through the Company's Rockstar Games division, including
GTA3D and The Grand Theft Auto Online Crime World."

http://www.dma.co.uk

Source: Avalon, Google Groups 1,2

As we know, GTA 3D was released as Grand Theft Auto 3 in November 2001. for PS2. I tried to google but it seems that Online Crime World is vanished without trace.

7. Take 2's Acquisition of DMA Design
===
It was announced on the 29th of September that Take Two Interactive were
acquiring DMA Design for a cool $US11 million (thats a lot of notes). DMA Design
were originally owned by Infogrames Entertainment. This will mean that there
will be more GTA games made, and Take 2 will not have to pay royalties for the
software anymore.

One interesting aspect of the decision was the announcement of two upcoming
GTA related titles - GTA3D and The Grand Theft Auto Online Crime World. So far,
GTA3D is only in the development stage, and there has been no programming done
so far.

The press release by DMA can be viewed at their temporary web site -
www.dma.co.uk .

This is from some GTA 2 unofficial FAQ.

Credit to mpx on the assembler games forum for finding this!

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

What?? You mean to tell me that they had 14 years planning this and they still give us a sh*t online. f*ck THAT!

• senormidget, StormerBoy, drr26 and 8 others like this

Loxley
  • Loxley

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:07 AM Edited by elburrosleftnut, 18 November 2013 - 05:09 AM.

Wednesday - September 29, 1999 <7:00 PM CST> <Top> Take 2 + DMA = GTA3D<7:00 PM CST - schu>
LiTtLeThUg sent in the press release and actually heard an unconfirmed rumor about this whole thing a full month ago. He tried to find out more at the GTA2 chat but the developers did not respond.
I also spotted this update on numerous gaming sites.There have been rumors swirling about that Take2 had plans to acquire DMA Design and its finally happened. This is very interesting news in and of itself but most of the articles also make mention of future DMA projects called "GTA3D and The Grand Theft Auto Online Crime World." I'm not sure what it is just yet but I'll do my best to find out ASAP. The following is an amalgamation of press releases different sites have been posting:

DMA Design plans to develop Grand Theft Auto 3D and Grand Theft Auto Online Crime World after being acquired by Take-Two.
In a move aimed at strengthening its growing internal development organization, Take 2 Interactive announced today that it had acquired DMA Design from Infogrames Entertainment, S.A., for $11 million in cash. According to company officials, Take 2 will also assume certain bank indebtedness, although there was no mention of the actual extent of the liabilities. Furthermore, Take 2 will pay no royalties on Grand Theft Auto products from this date forward.
DMA Design, a ten-year-old game production studio based in Dundee and Edinburgh, Scotland, is the creator and developer of Take-Two's best-selling Grand Theft Auto series. The company expects Grand Theft Auto products to account for more than $50 million in net sales for its fiscal year ending Oct. 31, 1999. Prior to the creation of Grand Theft Auto, DMA was best known for the creation of the Lemmings series for Sony Computer Entertainment's Psygnosis subsidiary. The company plans to utilize the DMA Design team as a high-end source of creatively diverse product for Sony's upcoming PlayStaton 2 platform as well as the PC and the Internet. DMA will continue to develop Grand Theft Auto titles for publication through the company's Rockstar Games division, including GTA3D and The Grand Theft Auto Online Crime World.
As a result of the transaction, Take-Two will publish all Grand Theft Auto products, including the highly anticipated GTA2 (the sequel to Grand Theft Auto, which will ship before the company's fiscal year ending Oct. 31), royalty free on a go forward basis. As a result, the company expects the acquisition to be accretive in both fiscal years 1999 and 2000.
Sam Houser, president of Take-Two subsidiary Rockstar said, "We are thrilled that DMA is officially part of the Take-Two and Rockstar Games family. In particular, the ability to align Rockstar with a development house, such as DMA Design, that is clearly approaching the video game development in a new and exciting manner, makes this a perfect match."

If you want proof, just check out DMA's Site or the following sites:

And as you can see the domain name GTA3D.com has already been registered by Take2.

Thursday - December 2, 1999 <9:30 PM CST> <Top> GTA3D, GTA4, GTAYourMom, etc. <9:30 PM CST - schu>
As you may or may not know by now, GTA3D has been a registered domain for awhile now and GTA4 was recently registered. There isn't an actual web site at these locations yet but Take2 has registered them in advance. So far I haven't heard anything about GTA3D, GTA4, or GTAYourMom :)... If anything is in development you can bet that DMA, Rockstar, and Take2 will keep quiet about it until they have something solid to show. I'll see if I can find anything out, but chances are we wont get any solid information about future GTA's until they are well into their development cycle. Personally I think Take2 is just covering their ass for the future, after all its probably cheaper to register the URL now rather than have to buy it from someone else later on.

Tuesday - December 28, 1999 <6:00 PM CST> <Top> No News <6:00 PM CST - schu>
Since there isn't much going on today I thought I'd post this pic of GTA3D that Simon brought to my attention. It sure does look impressive, the lighting, the textures, the 3Dness... WOW... You can find this pic and more over at DMA Design's site...gta3d.gif

Monday - January 10, 2000

GTA3D <9:00 PM CST - schu>
What is it? When is it coming out? Does it even exist? Hell if I know... GTA3D was briefly mentioned in one of Take2's press releases just before GTA2 came out, however DMA reported that it was hype to encourage stockholders rather than anything based in truth. The question is, are they downplaying the announcement because it genuinely is just a plan on the table and isn't even in development or is a project that is well underway that they are trying to keep quiet until it pans out? Since nothing else has been released everyone is still in the dark on it. Anyway, DMA released a parody screen shot of GTA3D on their web site that I posted not long ago and Johan decided to put together his own version (115k). Keep in mind THIS IS NOT AN ACTUAL SCREEN SHOT OF GTA3D, it is what Johan thinks it will look like.
Personally I think GTA3D, if its made, will end up looking closer to a mix of GTA and Driver, Loose Cannon, or Midtown Madness than a direct translation of GTA to 3D, but that's just an opinion.

Monday - February 7, 2000 <11:59 PM CST> <Top>
GTA2: Berlin & GTA3 <11:59 PM CST - schu>

Gleb at GTA Zone in Germany mentioned that a lot of German gaming mags are reporting about a GTA2 add-on called GTA2: Berlin that might be available only in Germany in April. I haven't confirmed any of this with Take2, DMA, or Rockstar, but checking out the German version of Gamesmania turned up an article on GTA3. I translated it using Babelfish and the rough translation seems to indicate that most everything so far is based on rumor. It makes mention of the possible use of 3D graphics and the possibility of an online version of GTA taking place in massive cities. Both of these rumors were mentioned in an earlier press release when Take2 took over DMA, but DMA dismissed these rumors as hype to please Take2 stock holders. I doubt I'll be able to turn up anything solid on GTA3, but Ill see what I can find out about GTA2: Berlin. You can find the original article on Gamesmania.de. Once again, thanks to Gleb from GTA Zone for sending me an email on this.

Tuesday - February 8, 2000 <7:40 PM CST>

GTA2-Berlin <7:40 PM CST - schu>
Nothing official yet, but K@in at www.GTA-2.de is saying that more recent rumors indicate that GTA2-Berlin is already dead, mainly because it wouldn't be popular the world over. Hopefully this means that some sort of GTA2 add-on is in the works to replace it.

Thursday - February 10, 2000 <7:40 PM CST>

The Future of GTA<7:40 PM CST - schu>
I received a reply from Rockstar Games about the recent rumors of GTA2: Berlin and GTA3. They would only confirm that there are several projects in the pipeline but nothing more could be said. I think the key word here is "several" which means we can look forward to various future installments of GTA to keep us going well into the future. The next GTA project coming out is GTA2 for Dreamcast in March/April. Hopefully more on this will come out at this years E3 convention.

Monday - February 28, 2000 <6:30 PM CST>

GTA On Next Gen Systems <6:30 PM CST - schu>
ps2.ign.com posted an article on Take2's latest financial report. The article mentions that Take2 and Rockstar will be bringing at least three new titles to next gen systems and that they will all be Internet ready. One of those titles will be a GTA title although nothing else was mentioned. I'm pretty sure this in reference to a new GTA title that will probably be released on PC and PS2, rather than a re-release of GTA2 with multiplay just for PS2, but that's just a guess. The fact that Take2 is doing so well financially along with the fact that GTA is partially responsible for their increased profits makes it rather likely that many GTA sequels and spin-offs will continue to be released well into the future. As you may have read on Azz'z site, there are at least two GTA titles in development, GTA3D and some sort of online GTA, but in standard DMA fashion we probably won't know more until they get further along in development.

Friday - March 3, 2000 <2:30 PM CST>

Alastair Grant, who runs AAGTA, was looking for the future of GTA in the last place on DMA's website you'd expect to see such a thing. Guess what... He found it! While looking in the jobs section at DMA he found evidence of what is to come in the form of four small screenshots. DMA left a hint about it on their news page so I suppose it wasn't completely hidden. The question is, what game are these shots from? Or are they from an upcoming game at all? Well no one knows really, but if I get a message back from DMA I'll let you know what I find out :). I'd repost the shots here but since the DMA webmaster was kind enough to post them at all you might as well check them out in their natural environment.

Monday - March 6, 2000 <4:00 PM CST>

GTA3D?<4:00 PM CST - schu>
Just a quick follow up to Friday's update about the mystery shots on DMA's job page. I never got a reply from DMA about the shots, but GTA Zone did. Petar wrote DMA and Colin was good enough to say that they are "concept artwork from a possible future release." The name of that "future release"? No Comment. The debate on the shots has been raging on BBZilla and on Azz'z Message Board and I'd have to say that so far I agree with Jordan and Ringo that they are probably from a cutscene. Also of note is the fact that the Subway shot is named subway_render and if you look closely you'll see the Rockstar logo on the wall of the subway.

GTA Miami?<4:00 PM CST - schu>
While we are on the rumor kick I might as well throw this one out as well. Lee Dowling wrote in because he searched around and found out that www.gta-miami.com was registered to Rockstar Games. Does this mean we can expect to see an expansion pack like GTA-London? Who knows... Then again if you have ever searched through all the URLs that have been registered by Take2 and Rockstar Games you'd see they have more than four hundred of them.

Thursday - March 9, 2000 <5:40 PM CST> <Top> Can You Say GTA Online? <5:40 PM CST - schu>
Some interesting press releases from Take-Two today announcing the formation of a new subsidiary called BBS.
"Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. announced today that it will combine Rockstar Games, DMA Design and Pixel Broadband Studios into one newly created subsidiary, Broadband Studios, Inc. (BBS)."
What does this mean for the GTA scene? Hopefully this will lead to better multiplayer support and match making services on all the future versions of GTA, both console based and PC based, as Ryan Brant (Take-Two CEO) hints at in the release.
"Through the formation of BBS we have combined world class video game development, publishing and marketing assets focused on next-generation console systems, such as the Sony's PlayStation 2,with similarly strong broadband multiplayer gaming and interface technology, to create a pure play on the future of video game technology and distribution."
This also sets the stage for the rumors of the GTA online game that have been swirling about. The big question in my mind was about the future of DMA Design and Rockstar Games, I soon found the answer.
"It is the Company's intent that Rockstar Games will bring a selection of video game publishing assets to the newly created company. Rockstar will maintain production and marketing offices in New York and London, a development office in Toronto, and a new business development office in San Francisco. In addition, Rockstar will bring its extensive investments in the establishment of a top-level next-generation video game console product line-up to Broadband Studios."
"Grand Theft Auto developer DMA Design, with offices in Dundee and Edinburgh, U.K., will also be contributed to Broadband Studios. Both Rockstar Games and DMA Design will continue to be run by Mr. Sam Houser, who will serve as President of Rockstar Games."
Hopefully this means they won't screw with Rockstar or DMA. Check out the entire press release and some other articles on the creation of BBS below:

Friday - March 10, 2000 <8:20 PM CST> <Top> More On BBS & The Next GTA <8:20 PM CST - schu>
I sent off an email to Dan @ Rockstar Games to see how the formation of BBS affects Rockstar Games, DMA, and GTA. Dan sent the following reply, take special note of when the next GTA game can be expected:
"It's great news for Rockstar Games in general and the Grand Theft Auto franchise in particular. We haven't got a GTA game due out for another 18 months, but rest assured it will be something really spectacular. How the game works 'online' is still up in the air, but the expertise of Broadband Studios, as world leaders in next generation multiplayer gaming can only benefit the game. Through aligning ourselves with Broadband we are set to become a major content channel for next generation online gaming."
I found a few other interesting articles on BBS if you are interested. Both of the articles were on IGN. The first was on IGN64.IGN.com strangely enough, but it mentions GTA and the second is on PS2.IGN.com and goes more into using BBS to offer downloadable games on future consoles. Sort of a Pay Per View for consoles I suppose. Finally, thanks to Dan Houser for the comment.

Monday - May 8, 2000 <8:30 PM CST>

GTA2 DC Prices <8:30 PM CST - schu>
gta2dc.jpgI did a quick search on Game Shopper over at Gamecenter and found GTA2 Dreamcast listed among the titles. Currently it looks like you can get for around $38, not including shipping. Strangely enough I also found a preorder for GTA 2.5 Miami on buygames.com. From what I understand that project went on hold when DMA Dundee was shut down.

Wednesday - June 21, 2000 <7:00 PM CST>

Next Gen GTA <7:00 PM CST - schu>
No Fear and Xenic sent word that screenshots of the next GTA have been posted on IGN. You can check out the shots and short update atps2.ign.com/news/20306.html. I'll just be happy when they give it a name :).

Friday - July 14, 2000 <11:59 PM CST> <Top> GTA3D On PS2 Undecided<11:59 PM CST - schu>
RGv sent me an URL for an interesting article on IGN. Apparently a lot of UK publications have been announcing that GTA3D has been confirmed for the Playstation2 but after IGN contacted Rockstar they were told that the PS2 was being considered but has not been confirmed. This basically means that they are still considering all of the next generation systems (Dreamcast, PS2, XBox). If you want to read the original article you can pick it up fromps2.ign.com/news/21633.html. You might also want to take a look at the alleged GTA3D shots IGN posted awhile back. One other bit of news RGv sent in was the following quote which I assume he got from IGN as well. This basically reiterates everything again, but what the hell, here it is anyway:
"Microsoft's upcoming box of tricks is attracting an increasing amount of quality software, the latest of which comes from Scottish developer DMA. Grand Theft Auto 3D, the latest in the classic mission-based crime series, will appear on Xbox and PlayStation 2 when released late next year.
Little is known of the game itself, but DMA is said to be focusing heavily on online play. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of GTA, you play a criminal for hire, doing various illegal gubbins for bosses and gangs. The move to 3D from a top-down view was inevitable if the franchise was to survive, but DMA is keeping specifics well under wraps."
Considering how easy it would be to port the PC version of GTA3D over to X-Box I don't see why they wouldn't do it. Dreamcast is also a pretty easy port but GTA has a long history on the Playstation and I would assume that Rockstar will continue this trend in the future, even if the PS2 is a bitch to program for. But that's just an educated guess or if you prefer, a rumor. Once again, thangs to RGv for the URLs and the quote.

Thursday - November 2, 2000 <12:45 AM CST> <Top> Holy Sh*t! GTA3 Confirmed!<12:45 AM CST - schu>
I knew blowing a few hours a day looking around gaming news sites would pay off eventually. Well we all knew it was in development and although they haven't officially announced it, Sam Houser recently confirmed in an interview with IGN that GTA3 definitely exists. Here are a few of my comments followed by the GTA3 portion of the interview. The rest of the interview can be found onPS2.ign.com.

• GTA3 is definitely in development.
  • GTA3 will definitely be in 3D.
  • Still no definite release date but it looks like a 3rd or 4th quarter 2001 release is what they are shooting for.
  • I'm guessing that the PS2 and PC versions are being developed simultaneously, but so far no other platforms have been mentioned. I'm also betting that GTA3 will be released on PS2 and PC initially with possible ports to other platforms in the future. I.E. Dreamcast, XBox, and Gamecube releases will probably come down how hard it is to port and the bottom line of possible sales. You can also get a feel for where Rockstar stands on the different systems by reading the first two questions in the interview. I didn't post them here because they don't directly apply but it will give you a feel for where they stand.
  • They are hoping to bring back the original spirit of GTA but in true 3D.
  • I'm guessing when he mentions that "the game is currently fully running on PS2", he means that the game engine is fully running with the maps in place, NOT THE FULL GAME. Judging from what I've heard its still solidly in development and not anywhere near testing yet.
  • All the maps are built, but probably not tweaked.
  • The camera position is currently being worked on but they can put the camera anywhere. I'm hoping they will give us the option of choosing multiple angles so we aren't stuck with one camera angle. As we all know, lack of decent angles, or even worse, sh*tty camera control, can ruin an otherwise perfect game.
  • The name has not yet been determined. The only names that have been mentioned in the past are GTA3D and GTA3. My source has been sticking to GTA3 recently but nothing is confirmed.
  • After you read IGNPS2's question and Sam's answer make sure you read the GTA Online piece just below this one. I've heard rumors of a persistent online GTA world before but never in writing, until now that is.

"IGNPS2: What about your games on PS2? Are you in development with Grand Theft Auto for PlayStation 2?"
"Sam: Well, I'm not really allowed to talk too much about GTA, you know the powers that be always like to tape my mouth up. But Grand Theft Auto 3 is in development, and with the version of the game that we are coming out with on PS2 at the end of next year we really are looking to bring back the rawness that the original had. We want to relate that in the 3D power that the PS2 enables us to. The PS version really wasn't the game that we are now able to bring out on PS2 in 3D. We just couldn't do it. We couldn't have enough cars on the screen, we couldn't have enough pedestrians roaming the streets. And now, we really can do that and we're really excited about what we can create. We really want to come out with something that's truly, genuinely gameplay-led and genuinely fun to play. And it's got humor and it's got wit, and it's got all of the things that we have tried to pack into Grand Theft Auto before. And now we're really taking it to the next level and it's PlayStation 2 that's allowing us to do that.
I don't want to give away too much... but the game is fully running on the PlayStation 2. We have all of the maps built, you can drive around, you can walk around, you can get in and out of cars... I tell you, having worked on the game from that 2D top-down perspective, it feels very, very different. When you go up to a car, and press the infamous "carjack" button, and in 3D the person gets the driver out of the car, throws him on the street, and jumps in and scoots off, it feels very different than it did before. It's going from top-down animated to live action 3D, if you understand what I mean. You will see the game from a classic third-person perspective position, like Tomb Raider; it's going to be that perspective, inside and out of the car. We can put the camera anywhere we want to put it and we're still playing with exactly where we want to put it, but we're still working on it.
And we are playing with the camera in GTA. You will no longer have the top-down viewpoint, instead you'll have a game that is viewed from a third-person perspective, and we're working on a lot of different ideas. Wouldn't it be cool to play the game from the driver's perspective? We want you to feel like you're in the game far more than in GTA and GTA2, and with this next generation system, we now have that ability.
It's going to be called Grand Theft Auto...something. Maybe GTA 3, something like that. We haven't decided yet."

GTA Online - Need I Say More? <12:45 AM CST - schu>
If you scroll down the IGN interview a little further you run into what is possibly the future of GTA. GTA's online play has always been sketchy at best and I hope to God, Allah, or whoever can make it happen, that GTA3's multiplayer kicks ass. If I could play a multiplayer game based on GTA, over the Internet, and without it looking like a slide show I think I could die a happy man. Now the question posed by IGNPS2 is:
"IGNPS2: Does GTA lend itself to online play?"
The answer Sam gives doesn't necessary mention GTA3, he instead goes off on a tangent talking about an "online persistent world based on the Grant Theft Auto franchise." This isn't the first time I've heard this but I think its the first time its been put in writing. It may have been in Edge magazine at some point in the distant past, but this is the first time I've seen it in writing since Take2 bought DMA. Anyway, Sam Houser's full answer to the question is:
"Sam: Definitely. We are in the process of thinking about how to create an online persistent world based on the Grant Theft Auto franchise. We've talked about it, and if we get it right, it will be very compelling. We'll branch off certain, compelling games from the Grand Theft Auto franchise and try to make new, fun versions of it. We will also look at other projects for online as well."
I have to admit that this is the first time in recent memory that I am actually truly excited about the future of GTA. If they can pull this off and maintain the gameplay that made GTA kick ass then maybe, just maybe I will stop hearing this "GTA is dead" bullsh*t every three months.

Tuesday - November 7, 2000 <11:50 PM CST> <Top> PS2 GTA3 In Summer 2001<11:50 PM CST - schu>
I found an article on Gamespot today regarding Take-Two's plans to release games for the next generation platforms, including the PS2. The article names GTA3 as one of its major PS2 titles and suggests a summer of 2001 release. The article makes no mention of the PC version's release date. Regardless, I can assure you that GTA3 will not be exclusively on PS2. Keep in mind that the release date is NOT official, but it does go along with Sam's interview a few days ago.
GTA3 On XBox & Gamecube?<11:50 PM CST - schu>
The Gamespot article mentioned above was mainly about Take-Two's plans for next-generation platforms. As you can imagine Take-Two/Rockstar will be publishing games for PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox, and Gamecube. The article makes no direct mention of GTA3 on Xbox, Gamecube, or Dreamcast, but it did say that Take-Two will be releasing two games for the launch of Nintendo's Gamecube system and a total of eight games for the Xbox. Two of the games on Xbox are scheduled for its Fall 2001 launch date. You can find the full article onGamespot. Xbox seems like an obvious choice to support, simply because porting a game from PC to Xbox should be a rather simple process. I don't know much about Gamecube at this point so I'm not too sure how hard it would be to port GTA3 to Gamecube, but Dreamcast should be another fairly easy port assuming they are still supporting Sega at that point. Sam's last interview suggests he is a pretty big Dreamcast fan, but it will probably come down to raw sales figures in the end.

Monday - March 26, 2001 <11:58 PM CST> <Top> GTA Palm?<11:58 PM CST - schu>
Well, just when you thought GTA had come out on almost every platform imaginable, they go and make a Palm version. I saw the following on DailyRadar.
"Take-Two Interactive's Global Star subsidiary, which already has 52% of the Palm Pilot software market, according to January figures from PC Data, will ship Grand Theft Auto for the Palm in time for the holiday season, as well as Action Bass and Jet Fighter."
You can find more on this at Eurogamer.
Happy Puppy's GTA3 Preview<11:

Friday - April 13, 2001 <1:44 PM CST> <Top> DMA To Release Two Versions of GTA3? <1:44 PM CST - schu>
I got another look at the GTA3 preview in OPM and found one interesting bit of news I missed the first time. The article mentions that DMA is toying with the idea of releasing two versions of GTA3, one version with an MA (Mature) rating, and another version with a T (Teen) rating. The mature version will have everything you'd expect in the way of language and violence, while the other version will be toned down enough to get a teen rating. If they do end up going with this plan it might mean new hope for a Gamecube version, since Nintendo seems to be stuck marketing to a younger crowd.

Thursday - May 24, 2001 <11:58 PM CST> <Top> Take-Two Reports Record Sales <11:58 PM CST - schu>
Take-Two recently reported record net sales and cash flow for the second quarter of 2001. Net sales alone were up 33% from last year. Check out the original press release and the reports at FGN and AVault for more information. Both DMA and Rockstar Games are subsidiaries of Take-Two. We can only hope that more money for Take-Two means more money for Rockstar and DMA, and therefore more money for GTA3 development :) ...

Grand Theft Auto Online Crime World <11:58 PM CST - schu>
The concept of the Grand Theft Auto Online Crime World was announced way back in September of 1999, just after Take-Two acquired DMA Design. Not much was said then and nothing new has come out since. The only reason I mention it again (I originally reported this on September 29th, 1999) is because I found this report from back in 1999. Most articles at the time didn't say much about the press release, but this report got the following quotes from an inside source:
“I’m not sure what this means, but I know they were talking about having servers in different parts of the world with cities on them corresponding to the area,” said the source. “New York for New York, London for London, you get the idea.”
The exact quote from the original press release is as follows, "DMA will continue to develop Grand Theft Auto titles for publication through the company's Rockstar Games division, including GTA3D and The Grand Theft Auto Online Crime World." It remains to be seen if GTA Online is still in development or was ever anything more than a quote to improve the mood of Take-Two's stock holders. Regardless, any online titles would probably depend on the success of GTA3, and how well the consoles' online capabilities are accepted by gamers. I say consoles' and not PC, because that's where the money is, and sadly enough, that's probably what will drive future development.

Thursday - June 7, 2001 <11:35 PM CST> <Top> GTA Palm @ 2001 PC Expo <11:35 PM CST - schu>
According FGN, the Palm OS version of GTA will be shown at the 2001 PC Expo. Take-Two's subsidiary, Global Star Software, will be porting GTA, Serious Sam, Action Bass, Austin Powers Pinball, and Jetfighter to the Palm. I should actually rephrase the first sentence, the article doesn't actually say if any of the titles will be shown, but Global Star will be present and hopefully release more details on the port.

Thursday - August 16, 2001 <11:00 PM CST> <Top> GrandTheftAuto3.com Press Release <11:00 PM CST - schu>
A friend of mine who works with Rockstar was good enough to send me the grandtheftauto3.com press release. Care to take a look?
ROCKSTAR GAMES PRESENTS A VOYEURISTIC LOOK INTO LIBERTY CITY, THE LIVING CITY IN GRAND THEFT AUTO 3Phase One Of The Progressive Grand Theft Auto 3 Website (http://www.rockstarg...grandtheftauto3)
Goes Live Today, Wednesday, August 15, 2001
NEW YORK, NY - August 15, 2001 - Rockstar Games, Take Two Interactive Software, Inc.'s (NASDAQ:TTWO) high end video game publishing division, is pleased to announce the official website for Grand Theft Auto 3.
Previous incarnations of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have achieved cult status worldwide, selling over 4.5 million units to date. Set to break genre barriers on PlayStation®2 this October, the third installment of Grand Theft Auto captures the same freedom and non-linearity of the original games. Grand Theft Auto 3 now lives and breathes in a diligently reengineered, complete 3D world. The new 3D perspective and stunning graphics invite an even wider audience to explore their inner criminal and immerse themselves in all the dangers, threats and possibilities of a city without end.
A game of this stature requires a website of equal magnitude, and the Grand Theft Auto 3 website delivers. In addition to the usual game updates, the site offers a detailed, voyeuristic look at Liberty City, home to all the mayhem and mafia activities of Grand Theft Auto 3. The website will dissect each of Liberty City's three crime-filled areas prior to the game's launch, showcasing a living, breathing, fully interactive view of the worst city in America and hometown to every backstabbing crime story you've ever heard, read or had nightmares about.

Regular updates include:

• "Screenshots" and "Movies" sections give a sneak peek of the challenges players will encounter along the crime-filled trail that lies ahead.
  • The "Characters" section allows visitors to prepare for the inevitable, familiarizing themselves with the mugs of potential allies and enemies.
  • The "News" section supplies updates about "the underground goods" - members-only merchandise giveaways
  • The "Buy Now" section provides information on how to acquire a copy of the game.

The Liberty City area breakdown begins August 15:
Phase 1: Portland (Industrial Zoned Island)
Phase 1 of the Grand Theft Auto 3 website offers an interactive look into the crevices of Portland, one of the most dangerous areas in Liberty City. The interactive map provides an abundance of locations to visit, each with its own entertaining and informative value.

• "Capital Autos" offers a birds-eye peek into Portland's biggest car dealership. Its own mini website displays cars for sale, and all vehicles in the shop are from the game and driveable.
  • "Ammu-nation," another store in Liberty City, showcases an assortment of guns for sale, all of which can be used in the game. "Ammu-nation" also has its own mini website, with a humorous playable radio commercial for the store.
  • A "Warehouse Rave Venue" broadcasting live on Rise FM from the Planetarium, Liberty City's 24 hour stay-up-forever club.

Phase 2 and Phase 3 will follow, prior to the games release, to describe the rest of Liberty City with in-depth looks into the gritty locales of Staunton Island and Shoreside Vale. Visit Liberty City at: http://www.rockstarg...grandtheftauto3.

Monday - November 26, 2001 <11:50 PM CST> <Top> Palm GTA <11:50 PM CST - schu>
A demo for the Palm OS version of GTA has been released. You can download the demo from Global Star Software. PalmGear also has a download link as well. You will need a PDA running the PalmOS or some sort of emulator in order to use the demo. Global Star has a few screens on their site, but I haven't quite figured out if they are real shots or not. My main problem is that most of the shots look exactly the same as the shots of GTA2 for GameBoy Color. Thanks to Nick for the update.

Tuesday - December 18, 2001 <11:40 PM CST> <Top> The Future of Grand Theft Auto <11:40 PM CST - schu>
Philip wrote in about something he noticed in the latest issue of the Official Playstation Magazine (US). The magazine says in the rumors section that because of GTA3's success, there may be a GTA4 or GTA3 expansion coming up with in a year or so. The article says that the next version of GTA will move away from Liberty City and will feature a new storyline, new characters, but will use the same engine as GTA3. I have no way to confirm these rumors yet but I'll look into it. One thing I do find interesting is that OPM's information is very detailed, which leads me to believe that these rumors definitely have something behind them. More on this when I hear back from Rockstar. Thanks to Philip for sending in email on this.

Thursday - December 20, 2001 <12:00 AM CST> <Top> See You In Miami? <12:00 AM CST - schu>
I sent in an email on the future of GTA3 and I got a response from Dan Houser. Here is what Dan had to say:
"We haven't finalized any future plans yet, but have some thing in the pipeline. We are focused on getting the PC version done and making it as good as possible. We're leaving everything else until this is done. We won't make any announcements regarding the future for quite a while yet (we've not even finished making GTA3 yet - it's a bit early to start talking about the future!) and will only reveal the info when we are sure about what we are doing. Official Playstation Magazine do not have access to any special information. They are just making things up for the sake of rumor."
Before I got a reply from Rockstar I had worked up the theory of sorts on what the future of GTA might be. I wasn't going to post it since I got an official reply from Rockstar, but what the hell.
My first thought was based on the OPM rumor, that the next title would be built on the existing GTA3 technology and would be set in a new city with new characters. I'm guessing that it would also continue to build on GTA3's plotline. So, what could the new location be? San Andreas or Vice City seem like the logical places since they were the two other cities featured in the original GTA. Those cities are also mentioned on the Francis International Airport website. But something else there caught my eye, and after looking around I also found it in the game and on the GTA3 map, "See You In Miami." The next bit is a very minor spoiler -- This alone was enough to spark some speculation, but then I recall something a character in the game says. During the course of the game this character has to leave town and he pages you with the message, "See You In Miami." -- Is someone dropping us hints or am I reading too much into this?
All this talk of Miami reminded me of some news that I wrote about some time ago. While looking up prices and availability for GTA2, another title began popping up. You guessed it, GTA Miami. Nothing was announced, it just sort of appeared and disappeared. Around the same time Teknics interviewed Dan Houser, which provides my next piece of evidence:
Excerpt from Teknics interview with Dan Houser:
Tek: "There were rumo(u)rs of a GTA Miami but nothing was confirmed (during the Dundee incident at DMA it was rumo(u)red to have officially been canned). Is there any info available on what GTA Miami was/is?"

Dan: "ALL I CAN REALLY SAY IS THAT IT WILL NOT BE THE NEXT GRAND THEFT AUTO PROJECT. IT MAY APPEAR IN THE FUTURE."
I doubt we'll know for sure any time soon and I may be completely off the mark, but for now, it stands as my best guess. My only real problem with the Miami theory is that such a game would be based on a real city, with cities like Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas they have a little more freedom since they are creating their own city from the ground up. It will be interesting to see how all this turns out...
Liberty Soul & Orbit FM <12:00 AM CST - schu>
While I was speaking with Dan I got another question out of the way. Here is what I asked, followed by Dan's answer:
schu: "Recently we began to notice two radio stations advertised on posters in GTA3, Orbit FM and Liberty Soul FM, but they aren't actually in the game.. Can you give me any information on these stations? Were they replaced, renamed, or just dropped?"

Dan: NO. THEY'RE JUST NOT IN THE GAME. KIND OF THE SAME WAY YOU CAN'T GO INTO EVERY ROOM, BUT EVERY ROOM EXISTS IN THE CITY, YOU CAN'T HEAR EVERY RADIO STATION, JUST A SELECTION WE CHOOSE."
The funny thing is, Johan came up with a pretty good theory about Orbit FM that I figure is still worth posting, even despite the new information. Here is what Johan had to say:
I listened to the Rise FM megamix mp3 that's available atgta3warehouse and I can only come to this conclusion, Rise FM was originally named Orbit FM. If you listen to the DJ in the beginning you'll understand:
Rise FM:
Rise FM broadcasting live from the Planetarium, it's a 24/7 365, of the hook, stay up forever party radio. We make your dreams come true!

Now change the name to Orbit FM and the missing link is falling into place:
Orbit FM:
Orbit FM broadcasting live from the Planetarium, it's a 24/7 365, of the hook, stay up forever party radio. We make your dreams come

Monday - January 7, 2002 <11:30 PM CST> <Top> GTA4 Confirmed? <11:30 PM CST - schu>
PS2 Era is reporting that a contact at Rockstar Games has confirmed that GTA4 is in development and will be released before the end of 2002. The article goes on to say that it has been in development for some time now for the PS2. I'll see what I can find out about the article or if I can get anything confirmed, but I'd be willing to bet that Rockstar won't be commenting. Until they go official with GTA4 we won't really know what's going on with it for sure. I'm never quite sure what to believe anymore because every time I talk to Dan about one of these articles he almost always says that until it's official, everything is pure speculation. Read the rest of the article at PS2 Era. Thanks to Albert/UnDone for the link.

Wednesday- January 30, 2002 <10:45 PM CST>

GTA The Movie? <10:45 PM CST - schu>
SciFiMatrix.Net mentioned Grand Theft Auto in an update on the Death Race 3000 movie. Apparently director Paul Anderson mentioned plans to make GTA into a movie at the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors, back in January. I'm not sure if this was a joke or if he is completely serious, but I'll try and get Rockstar's comment, or lack thereof, sometime this week. Thanks to Outlaw for turning this up. According to Outlaw, Paul Anderson's other directorial credits include Mortal Kombat, Soldier, Event Horizon, and the upcoming Resident Evil.

Friday - February 1, 2002 <11:40 PM CST> <Top> GTA Online! <5:00 PM CST - schu>
PlanetPS2 is reporting that the latest issue of EGM contains some very interesting news for GTA fans. Apparently there are rumors that GTA4 will either be a massive multiplayer game or will contain a massive multiplayer component. Read all about it in today's news at PlanetPS2.

This of course brings up a few questions. Mainly, how the hell are they going to do it, does the phrase "massively online multiplayer gaming" mean the use of persistent world, and are we going to have to pay a monthly fee? Until I know more I really don't want to just start guessing. However, the thought did occur that if it does have a persistent world, it might be something like PlanetSide. More of an action based thing where different factions (gangs in GTA's case) vie for control of different areas. Anyway, until we know more this is just me talking out of my ass. I'll let you know if I get a comment from Rockstar or EGM.
Thanks to Rev Ted and Albert/UnDone for the update.

Monday - February 4, 2002 <9:30 PM CST> <Top> GTA Online! - Part 2 <9:30 PM CST - schu>
Teck was kind enough to send the actual quote from EGM that PlanetPS2's update was based on:
“The rumors about the next game in the Grand Theft Auto series persist and they’re getting crazier every time I hear them. Remember last month I told you that a new game was both inevitable and due fairly soon? Well, there’s even more to get excited about now. It seems that the big hook this time is that the games well have a huge online aspect. There are actually two different rumors doing the rounds at the moment, and while I’d love to think that both are possible, the simpler one seems much more likely.
The first rumor is that GTA4 will build a lot on the PC version of the game that’s due in a couple of months, taking advantage of the 16-player online support that is boasts. GTA4, they say, will allow people to wander around Liberty City in “GANGS”, working together on jobs, drive-buy’s, heists and all that other goodness.
The second rumor expands on the first, suggesting that the game will be a massively multiplayer online experience that will allow hundreds of players to populate the city and form their own gangs, mobs, businesses and other GTA fun.

Personally, I think the 16-player game is more likely—but the idea of a version in which everyone you meet is a “real” person is certainly something to make you think about where things could go in the future. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty excited for whatever they decide to do. I just want more!”
I'd have to agree with the original author at EGM that it's more than likely that GTA4 will include multiplayer support for the PS2 with some sort of gang coop mode, rather than a full blown massive multiplayer online experience. Now that being said, what I found interesting was that the quote seems to confirm multiplayer support for the PC version of GTA3, which up until now was only a rumor. Granted, it's still a rumor, but it sounds as if there is some truth behind it.

Friday - February 8, 2002 <11:30 PM CST> <Top> GTA:Miami & GTA4 Confirmed! <11:30 PM CST - schu>
According to IGN, the Miami prediction I made awhile back appears to be true. IGN's latest rumor report confirms that GTA: Miami and GTA4 are both in development at DMA. GTA: Miami is basically going to be a GTA3 expansion pack and is expected to hit stores toward the end of 2002. GTA4 is the actual sequel to GTA3 and will be released sometime in 2003. Rockstar still hasn't gone official on any of this, so dates and information may change after they issue their official press release. Thanks to Insane2757 for the link.

Friday - February 22, 2002 <11:50 PM CST> <Top> DMA Reborn? <11:50 PM CST - schu>
Many of you may or may not realize that DMA is a very different company today. Just before it became a wholly owned subsidiary of Take2, many of the guys involved with the original GTA left DMA to pursue other interests. I recently heard from an anonymous source that David Jones and his DMA all-stars have gotten back together to form a new company called Real Time Worlds. If the past is any indication of what to expect in the future, then you should definitely keep an eye on RTM. Whatever they do, it's bound to be something unique.

GTA: Miami This Fall <11:50 PM CST - schu>
Gamers.com is reporting that GTA: Miami will be released for the PS2 this fall. Very little is known at this point, but GTA: Miami is believed to be a GTA3 expansion pack that will continue GTA3's story line. Thanks to Lone Wolf for the link.

Friday - March 8, 2002 <11:40 PM CST> <Top> PC Gamer on GTA3 PC <11:40 PM CST - schu>
The latest issue of PC Gamer has a sidebar on some of the new things we can expect to see in GTA3 for the PC:

• 16 Player Multiplayer
  • Multiple Resolutions
  • More familiar 3rd person shooter controls

Thanks to Saggy for the update.

GTA Miami Just Another Rumor? <11:40 PM CST - schu>
SonyWeb.com claims they've spoken with Rockstar and that GTA: Miami is nothing more than a rumor. Since I haven't heard from Rockstar in awhile I can't confirm or deny this, but I'll see what I can turn up. There was one other note in the article about Rockstar's upcoming games which include, a new Midnight Club game, MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch, Grand Theft Auto 3 (PC), and a new Grand Theft Auto game. Source: Insane2757 & GTA3.com.

Tuesday - March 19, 2002 <10:20 PM CST> <Top> DMA Renamed <10:20 PM CST - schu>
That last vestige of DMA's identity was lost today when Rockstar Gamesannounced that they are changing DMA Design's name to Rockstar Studios to more closely align DMA with the Rockstar identity. I suppose it really doesn't matter since DMA really isn't DMA anymore anyway, but I sure will miss the DMA guy getting run over by a car. In related news, you can check up on what some of the former DMA employees are doing. A month or so ago I reported on their recent formation of the Real Time Worlds development studio. Many of the original people from DMA are back at work in Dundee.

Friday - March 29, 2002 <11:55 PM CST> <Top> GTA Vice? <11:55 PM CST - schu>
Apparently GTA Vice has quietly made its way on to Gamestop.com and GTA Miami has disappeared. It seemed rather unlikely to me that they would name the next project GTA: Miami after a real city as opposed to naming it off of one of the original three cities in GTA (Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas).... and that appears to be what they are doing. According to GameStop, GTA Vice is currently slated for an October release on PS2. I still think it will be an intermediary title/expansion with GTA4 being the true sequel. If you'd like to read more on GTA: Miami/Vice, check out the update I did way back onDecember 20th. I also posted a bit about it on the December 18th update as well. Thanks to IdeoPraxist for the update and the IGN link.

Monday - April 8, 2002

GTA ? <11:58 PM CST - schu>
I'm calling it GTA ? because I really don't know at this point if Rockstar's rumored GTA3 expansion is called GTA Miami, GTA Vice or GTA Miami Vice :) (assuming it's even in development). Regardless, the latest issue of PSW Magazine (UK) is claiming that it's in development and might be called GTA Miami. I'm not sure if they contacted Rockstar about GTA Miami, but I doubt it. So far Rockstar denies that any projects named GTA Miami or GTA Vice are in development, no comment on GTA Miami Vice, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, or GTA InsertNameHere :). Thanks to Gta_player2001 for the update info.

Monday - April 29, 2002 <7:40 PM CST> <Top> SCEE Confirms GTA Vice? <7:40 PM CST - schu>
It seems that GTA Vice is back in the news, and this time it has appeared in a press release directly from Sony. Summo originally sent me this story with a link to Game Faction where you can read the original press release. The strange thing is, I then went to the Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) site to check the press release and the GTA Vice thing was no where to be found. I doubt Game Faction just added it to the release, so I can only assume that Sony originally had it listed and then later removed it. GameFaction also has a GTA3 PC preview that mentions the rumors of Rockstar's plans to release an expansion disc (GTA Vice/Miami) and the possibility that it may include multiplayer. I guess we're on to stacking rumor upon rumor at this point :) . Right now I think it's fair to say that Rockstar definitely has something in store for us this year and it will most likely be a GTA Vice/Miami expansion. At this point I think it's a bit premature to assume it will be multiplayer though. Thanks to Summo, Alastair, and Philip for the help on this one. If you want to read more on this, Alastair sent me a link to a similar piece on Gaming Horizon and Philip sent in another one that links to UK Games. Hopefully Rockstar will straighten this all out at E3.

Tuesday - May 21, 2002 <8:40 PM CST> <Top> GTA - Sony Exclusive Till 2004 <8:40 PM CST - schu>
Bad news for XBox, GameCube, and possibly PC fans. Gamespot is reporting that all GTA titles published before 2004 will be made exclusively for Sony. It remains to be seen if the PC will be affected by this. Previous Sony exclusives didn't include the PC so we can only hope that this deal is the same. Rockstar has said time and time again that they have always supported both the PC and the PS and always will in the future, we can only hope that this remains to be true. GTA3 Xbox also appears to be a no-show at E3.

GTA Vice City Confirmed <8:00 PM CST - schu>
Rockstar has finally gone public with their plans to release GTA: Vice City. The press release (below) is just about all we know right now, but you can bet there will be some heavy "Scarface" and "Miami Vice" influences in this one:

TN_vice-logo-01.GIF
Rockstar Games Announces Grand Theft Auto: Vice City; Next Installment of Grand Theft Auto Franchise To Hit Streets in October
NEW YORK--May 21, 2002--Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing division of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), proudly announces Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, the follow-up to the global blockbuster title Grand Theft Auto 3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the latest installment in the gaming franchise that has exceeded 11 million units in total sales to-date. It will be available exclusively for PlayStation®2 and is expected to hit retail shelves in the United States on October 22nd. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City will surpass the unprecedented gameplay, cinematic graphics and immersive audio experience that gamers associate with Grand Theft Auto 3, which was released in October 2001 and has rapidly become the fastest selling, highest grossing game for PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system to date, with global sales exceeding 6 million units. Rockstar Games will release additional information about the game's content in July, but the following details are clear: It's an entirely new game set in the '80s, the location is Vice City, and the vibe is glamour, power and corruption...

Sam Houser, the executive producer of the Grand Theft Auto franchise and president of Rockstar Games, commented, "The success of Grand Theft Auto 3 has made us very proud, but it has also motivated us enormously. The work currently being done by our development and production teams in Edinburgh and New York is going to surpass the efforts of last year, as we set our sights on making an even more revolutionary gaming experience. This will be reflected in the size of the game, the scope of the gameplay, the extent of the gameplayer's freedom, the quality of production value and the all-important sense of style."

Les Benzies, the producer of Grand Theft Auto games, noted, "Although it may appear to be a challenge to develop a game superior to Grand Theft Auto 3, our progress to date on Vice City makes me highly confident that we can deliver a truly innovative game." Kelly Sumner, Take-Two Interactive Software's Chief Executive Officer added, "Grand Theft Auto 3 has become the "must-have" title for PlayStation®2 and is appropriately regarded as a landmark in interactive entertainment. We are delighted with the plans for Vice City, and are totally committed to supporting Rockstar's creative efforts and investing in the development and marketing approach that made Grand Theft Auto 3 such a tremendous success."
You can read more on this at GameSpot, Yahoo, and Game Faction. Thanks to Rockstar games for the logo and press release and to Crashton, Dave, Gary, Nick, Jkool, FName, and ACEGOLIATH for the links.

Monday - June 17, 2002 <6:00 PM CST> <Top> Palm GTA RIP <6:00 PM CST - schu>
A long, long while back a Palm version of GTA was announced and it even made it to the demo stage. Unfortunately the project was canceled, some say because the company developing it for the Palm OS didn't even get permission from Take2 first. You can't download the Palm demo from the developer's site anymore, but I have a link to an alternate download site if anyone is interested. Thanks to ELL102 for the link and update.

Loxley
  • Loxley

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

R* In Wired / GTA4 Online <11:55 PM CST - schu>
IdeoPraxist found an ariticle on Rockstar in Wired magazine. The article entitled, "Why Rockstar Games Rule - The Badboys of Rockstar Games" mainly covers the movement toward adult (M) titles for the 18-25 year old demographic. I can't say I agree with the entire article, especially the bit that says I should be listening to Eminem and following Xtreme sports. The most interesting bit was toward the end of the article where it mentions GTA4 in the following quote:

"Rockstar Studios - is said to be at work on an online massively multiplayer Grand Theft Auto 4."

I don't think GTA4 will fall under the current RPG type massive multiplayer games, it seems more likely that they'll go with a Planetside type format.
GTA4 - Crime Online <11:55 PM CST - schu>
LBhacker3k turned up a nice bit of news in the latest issue of EGM. This was found in their "Rumors" section so it isn't exactly official:

"Well, today I got my EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) magazine and to my surprise they had this in the rumors section:
The Hot Q: Grand Theft Auto 4
...It's something I get asked about a lot (thanks for the E-mails, guys-you know who you are). Its Grand Theft Auto 4, and prepare yourselves for a whopper of a rumor, folks. Here goes" The just announced Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is just the beginning of what will become known as the GTA Universe. After Vice City, the next Grand Theft Auto game will be dubbed "Crime Online." And if you haven't guessed by now, it's going to be the console-networked title in the series. There will be a new stand alone GTA as well, but that's still a ways off..."

The fact that both Wired and EGM are dropping the same rumor does give it some credibility. Guess I'll have to see if the guys at ZDNet have any comment on this.

Monday - September 9, 2002

GTA - Crime Online <4:00 AM CST - schu>
As you may or may not know, the current prevailing rumor is that the next title in the GTA series will be an online game. In the past it's been called GTA4, GTA Online, and GTA: Online Crime World. Gta_player2001 recently spotted a small update in the UK mag P2 (Sept issue) that brings it up again. Here is the quote:

NEWS ON THE 5TH GTA
The next installment in the popular series or as Rockstar like to call it 'the GTA universe' will go by the name of GTA: Crime Online excited anyone?

You might be wondering the same thing Gta_player2001 is. How dependable can their update be if they don't even know how many games are in the GTA series :) ? GTA:Crime Online would actually be the sixth game. Rockstar has still never commented directly on when or if they will release an online title.

Wednesday - December 18, 2002 <3:30 AM CST> <Top>
More GTA In 04 <3:30 AM CST - schu>
According to GameSpot and after listening to the conference call it sounds as if we'll see another GTA title released some time in fiscal 2004. When they mentioned it in the conference call they said that they expected to release product "extensions/sequels" for Grand Theft Auto and other titles. You might also recall that the Sony agreement expires in 2004, so unless that is renewed we might see GTA ported over to other platforms as well. During the call they were asked if the next GTA would be out before or after Christmas 2003, to which they responded that they didn't know yet when it would be out, but something would be announced later in 2003. You might be wondering why a title with a release date of fiscal 2004 would be released during Christmas of 2003 :), to answer that you have to understand that Take2's fiscal calendar is different than the actual calendar. Fiscal year 2004 actually starts in November 2003 and ends on October 31st, 2004 which should explain why almost every GTA title has been released in October :).

Later in the call they are asked if the GTA title in 2004 is going to be another "extension of GTA3" or if it will be the "long awaited GTA4". Their response is very vague, primarily because they can't release detailed information when all their competitors are listing in as well :) ... They reply that they "feel really good about what [they] did with Vice City" and that the name will be left up to the marketing people as to "how they want to position it". They also said the name won't effect it and that the "Rockstar group is totally committed to delivering another extremely compelling game". The investor then asks if it will use "essentially the same engine". Again they don't really comment because, understandably, the information would tip off the competition as to what direction the next game will take the series in. They did say that the "underlying technology is tremendous" so we'll see the next GTA "build on" it.
Take2 Conference Call Details <3:30 AM CST - schu>
After listening to the conference call I thought I'd bullet a few interesting facts I pulled out of it:

• There are product extensions planned for the GTA series, Mafia, and SOE (among others). I take extentions to mean sequels, expansions, and ports to other platforms.
  • Two new Rockstar titles were mentioned, The Warriors and another title currently code named Project Manhunt (due out in second half of 2003). Project Manhunt is being developed by Rockstar North for the PS2 with possible ports to other platforms after release. The Warriors is based on the 1979 cult film and is being developed at Rockstar Toronto (due out in 2004).
  • In 2004 Take2 has plans to release Max Payne 2 and The Warriors. They also mentioned product extensions/sequels for GTA and SOE. (there were others mentioned but I just listed the ones I thought would interest the GTA fans).
  • Mafia will be ported to XBox and PS2.
  • Take2 has 70 products in development based on existing and new brands. Over 25 of these products are Rockstar titles consisting of eight different brands. The breakdown they mentioned later in the call said 12 PS2, 8 PS1, 5 XBox, 3 GameBoy, 14 PC, and 4 GameCube titles (yes I do relalize that it doesn't add up to 70, but that is what they said -- thinking back that might be the listing of games expected out in 2003).
  • Duke Nukem Forever's release date will probably be announced 90 days prior to its release, but for now the release date remains, "when it's done."
  • ViceCity contributed 28% to Take2's Q4 net profits while GTA3 PS2/PC contributed 12%. That might give you some idea of how much the GTA titles mean to Take2, and if that doesn't, read the next one :).
  • 41% of Take2's 2002 revenue was generated by the GTA brand (33% GTA3 PS2/PC and 8% Vice City).
  • Take2 has access to the Halo engine and can use it for "two renditions of games on any platform." It is not being used for any products currently in development but is being researched for future titles.
  • All the investors who asked questions seemed mainly interested in the GTA series and Manhunt :) ...
  • It is really entertaining to hear professionals from various investment companies commenting on these games, especially GTA and ManHunt. I just keep picturing some guy in a $400 suit yelling "Sayanora Hooker" as he plays GTA :)

Tuesday - March 4, 2003 <8:15 PM CST> <Top> GTA4 In Development? <8:15 PM CST - schu>
Computer & Video Games is reporting that GTA4 is in development by a small team at Rockstar North. The team is rumored to be working through concepts for next gen consoles at this point, but as expected very little is known. GTA4 is not to be confused with the next GTA game due out sometime in 2004, GTA4 is expected to be the true sequel to GTA3, whereas the next GTA title is expected to be another VC type title. Read the full article for details. I'd say their article certainly isn't out of the question, but I'd still file it in the rumor bin. Thanks to Luke, Rev Ted, and Asorano for the link.

Wednesday - April 23, 2003 <4:50 PM CST> <Top> Next GTA In 2004? <4:50 PM CST - schu>
In a recent "Off the Record" entry at IGN they covered the future of GTA. The IGN rumor mill is reporting that Rockstar North may take up to two years to turn out the next GTA game, meaning that we wouldn't see the next GTA: "Insert City Name Here" game until later in 2004. Earlier rumors and the Take2 stock report seemed to indicate that the next game might be out as early at late 2003 / early 2004.

The IGN article goes on to say that Rockstar North has been split into two teams, one team is working on the next GTA city based game while the other team works on the true sequel to GTA3. The sequel is rumored to be in the early planning stages for the PS3 so it obviously can't be released until the PS3 is launched, putting it squarely in 2005/2006 depending on how long Sony waits to release their next console. IGN also said there is some talk that the sequel may be based in Los Angeles, "with a focus on the movie industry in Hollywood."
IGN does bring up a lot of good points so definitely read and re-read this one, just bear in mind that at this early stage these are all rumors and should not be taken as fact. Hopefully Rockstar will shed some light on the future of the GTA series at E3. Thanks to Taylor for the link.

Friday - June 6, 2003

DMA Rides Again <3:00 PM CST - schu>
As many of you may or may not know, Rockstar North was not always known as Rockstar North. Until recently they were known as DMA Design. DMA is most well known for the Lemmings series of games, and of course GTA, which they originally released back in 1997 under the BMG/ASC label. Over the years some of the original DMAers left the team, including DMA founder, Dave Jones. Recently Dave has been bringing some of the original team members back into the fold under his new development house Real Time Worlds and until now it didn't look like they were going to revisit the genre of games that GTA spawned. You can read more about the announcement over at Gamespot, or check out the original press release below:

Games Industry Veterans Joins Forces In Scottish Company
Creators of multi-million selling hits join forces to create the next big franchise

June 5th. Three high profile veterans of the computer games industry are joining forces at Real Time Worlds, the Scottish based games development studio.
David Jones, creator of Lemmings and the infamous Grand Theft Auto franchises has joined forces with Ian Hetherington, former Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and founder of Psygnosis, and Tony Harman the former Director of Development and Acquisition at Nintendo of America. The three industry veterans have united to back Jones' latest original concepts and technologies. They are planning to utilise their unique distribution experience to maximize the revenue potential for Real Time Worlds products now in development.
In the 1980's Jones founded the seminal UK developer DMA Design, which created two of the most famous games franchises in the world Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto (GTA). Critically acclaimed upon its release, GTA has became one of the most successful series of games in the world with the original and its sequels selling approximately 20 million copies across multiple platforms. The long-term success of the games has been based, not upon it's notoriety or 'shock' value, but upon the solid and compelling gameplay, created in the original title, which allows players to interact with the game any way they wish -- and have the game respond to their actions -- a feature which is still unique today.
Hetherington founded Psygnosis, one of the UK's first videogames publishers, responsible for games such as Wipeout and Destruction Derby. In May 1993, the company was bought by Sony and Hetherington became the managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe creators of the PlayStation development environment and was responsible for the portfolio of launch titles which helped the console achieve an 80% market share.
Together, Jones and Hetherington were responsible for the 'Lemmings' series of games. Lemmings achieved enormous international success, selling over 20 million copies across more than 20 different formats.
They are joined at Real Time Worlds by Commercial Director, Tony Harman, former director of development and acquisition for Nintendo of America. Harman was the executive producer of 'Donkey Kong Country' franchise for Nintendo, which sold over ten million copies worldwide.

"We are not yet talking specifically about our two titles under development, but I will hint that fans of GTA and next-generation racing games will not be disappointed. Having seen literally thousands of games in the past, I was amazed at the unique and ground breaking ideas that are being brought to life at Real Time Worlds," said Hetherington.

"Bringing Ian and Tony on board follows my philosophy of only working with the best," said Jones. "My goal is to create unique global franchises and maximize the revenue potential from those titles. We have put together a hand picked team of 28 developers with a tremendous portfolio of hit games behind them, and now we have a similar pedigree in our management team.

"The Company has created some unique technologies", said Harman. "The emerging on-line gaming market is an area we will be creating some waves in."
Thanks to BB and LBHacker3k.

Thursday - October 30, 2003 <6:45 PM CST> <Top> GTA:Next In Q4 2004 <6:45 PM CST - schu>
Take2 has officially announced that the next GTA will be released in Q4 2004 (who want's to bet on October 2004? Anyone?). For the uninitiated, Take2's fiscal year ends at the end of October and like clockwork almost every GTA release has been in October giving Take2 a financial boost at the end of their fiscal year and a nice start to the next fiscal year. The announcement was made at the 20th Annual Technology Conference in New York City. I'm still trying to hunt down a transcript for the event but no luck so far. Other than that they didn't say much. The next iteration of GTA has not been named yet, in fact, other than the rough release date, no one knows anything about it. Rumors abound, but nothing official yet. Thanks to XaeroN9ne, Starving Russian, JCronic, and zeppelincheetah.

Wednesday - September 27, 2006
GTA IV
We are just over a year away from the release of GTA IV and if history serves as any indicator, we should start getting at least a screenshot sometime soon (all the shots you might run into so far have been confirmed as fakes). At least in the past, they seem to start by releasing the odd "leaked" screenshot about a year out and then ramping up the material and information slowly over time. Full scale previews don't usually show up until just before E3 in May. As you may have heard, E3 has been shrunk down into more of an industry only event so it remains to be seen if Rockstar will center the release of information on it like they used to.

So far Rockstar hasn't released any information, other than the fact that GTA IV exists and that it will be released on October 16th, 2007 on the XBox 360 and the PS3. The logical move, other than the standard improvements (greatly improved graphics, better physics, improved ai, larger maps, etc) is an actual multiplayer component. I guess the main question is, how robust will multiplayer support in GTA IV be or will GTA IV be an MMO with a subscription based model? The title, GTA IV: Crime Online and The GTA Online Crime World have both surfaced in the past but other than the name, nothing else was known. Various higher-ups at Rockstar have all been quoted as saying that they will not do multiplayer unless they have something fresh to add to it, meaning something beyond the standard deathmatch and CTF type stuff. Whatever GTA IV is, you can bet that it will be good. Almost every iteration in the series has pushed the boundaries of all the previous titles so there is no reason to think that GTA IV will be any different.
  • KING2dor likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

interesting...

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Playa

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

so what its still sh*t

and GTA is still primarily a singleplayer game

• theGTAking101 likes this

drr26
  • drr26

But I'm a f*cking raspberry!

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

14 years to right royally f*ck it up and also a big f*ck you to story mode players  :sui: still think calling them cockstar is pathetic though

• yonatan755 likes this

nitr0monkey
  • nitr0monkey

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Already posted, but whatever

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Come on dude you no one is gonna read this. Why bother posting it. Just write the main points.

United_Stealth
  • United_Stealth

Scooter brother

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

WE KNOW!!!!!!

And posting entire websites is ridiculous. Just a link is would suffice.

I know you're just helping, but putting a little thought in your posts would make it less annoying ;)

• theGTAking101 likes this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• V Staff
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:47 PM Edited by WildBrick142, 18 November 2013 - 05:47 PM.

14 Years to work on Online....

Released a sh*tty glitchfest with absolutely no proper fixes in the near future...

Slothstar Games.

• Gray Wolf and theGTAking101 like this

hhamzah99
  • hhamzah99

Call me.. Heisenberg.

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

lol @ all the people hating, they wanted it for almost 14 years now, but that doesnt mean theyre working on it for 14 years.. Maybe they worked for a few months and then stopped for like 12 years or something and then gta5+gtaonline..

• Matty and Flight180Victm like this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

To Catch A Flame

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

lol @ all the people hating, they wanted it for almost 14 years now, but that doesnt mean theyre working on it for 14 years.. Maybe they worked for a few months and then stopped for like 12 years or something and then gta5+gtaonline..

I think they've been planning since GTA III. But the PS2 wasn't much of an online console back in the day. 

They probably tried to do it with GTA IV, but with the RAGE engine being new at the time, they had to wait and get more people to learn how to use it. 

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:52 PM Edited by SilverRST, 18 November 2013 - 06:53 PM.

Lol, they've planned the online 14 years ago? Did they hired a fortune-teller or something?

If that's so, their fortune-teller lied to Slothstar Games lol. Their fortune-teller didn't tell them about the endless glitches and errors.

He/she hide it.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:57 PM Edited by Xerukal, 18 November 2013 - 06:57 PM.

Wonder if they also planned on attempting to make it work on nearly decade old hardware, too... 

Guess we'll never know. 

I also guess I'll get a ton of sh*t for being a cheeky c*nt in this post. 

Just a guess, though.

GTA-Addicted
  • GTA-Addicted

And as finishing touch... ...God created the Dutch

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

It was also planned for PS2 San Andreas (some code can still be found on the PS2 disc) but was cut out

mitchskaterr
  • mitchskaterr

Gamer

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm losing more faith in Rockstar everyday... Glitchy as hell online, planned it 14 years ago, freaking short story, already bored of gta v. oh well...

h4mza
  • h4mza

Get Every Dolla'

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

Not sure if we had internet back then 

jpalmer2004
  • jpalmer2004

Stop being an idiot!

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

I wanna see you guys make a game that can compete with gta 5...

Ready...
Set.......,
Go!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Ready...
Set.......,
Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it cant compete but its a start...

http://www.indiedb.c...-live-your-life

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

Yeah Rockstar is always thinking ahead of everyone, they did the same with the PC version of IV to be played on future computers.

I bet that we're now wondering how GTA VI will be and they are already working in the game engine for GTA VIII, and using technology not yet discovered.

:whistle:

jpalmer2004
  • jpalmer2004

Stop being an idiot!

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

Ready...
Set.......,
Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it cant compete but its a start...

http://www.indiedb.c...-live-your-life

Somebody insert that dude from the panthers game here >< lol

ColePhelps27
  • ColePhelps27

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

It was still terrible. 

ColePhelps27
  • ColePhelps27

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

Ready...
Set.......,
Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's just stupid. None of us are the owners of a multi-billion dollar company with thousands of employees at our disposal. 

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

That's just stupid. None of us are the owners of a multi-billion dollar company with thousands of employees at our disposal. 

No, being stupid is thinking they thought this out every day for the last 14 years.

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

14 years for what we got at launch? Bullsh*t. 

anon123
  • anon123

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:47 AM Edited by anon123, 19 November 2013 - 09:49 AM.

Months ago Leslie Benzies said in an interview either with Develop or GTAVOClock that they thought about it in the 90s. Doesn't mean they've been planning since then, why would they waste time planning before the current generation of consoles? (I'm assuming you have experience working on a game)

Tritium
  • Tritium

Special Agent

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

What?? You mean to tell me that they had 14 years planning this and they still give us a sh*t online. f*ck THAT!

Katve
  • Katve

Lost in Liberty City

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Rockstar is always dreaming big about their games. Now consoles can handle multiplayer and they did it. There is no way they have been designing it for 14 years. Game design has come long way since 1999 and they would needed to do fresh start couple times because all technology changes. 

jonkoroken420
  • jonkoroken420

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:39 AM Edited by jonkoroken420, 19 November 2013 - 11:40 AM.

So, They planned GTA-O in 1999 because they wanted Multiplayer?

Could've meant Anything, Gta-IV had multiplayer too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users