» «
Photo

Why is it more satisfying to roleplay as a "badass" in IV than

46 replies to this topic
LILSPILLYUM
  • LILSPILLYUM

LILspillyum

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:39 PM Edited by LILSPILLYUM, 01 January 2014 - 10:39 PM.

That because NIko isn't that rich,micheal a millionaire with a family, he has no purpose in being a criminal anymore. NIko always has a realistic, and believable reason to get into some more deep sh*t. i can see niko, a guy with virtually nothing to live for, being down for anything. micheal anit going out like a gangsta, or taking unecesary risk because he got kids. plus niko got the training that trevor, and micheal dont have, and he can drive almost as good as franklin. baddest mofo ive ever playedin a game. the man will do anything for a dollar as long as his sometimes hypocrital moral code aint breached. no gta v protags got nothing on NIko muthaf*ckin Bellic.

• kvic and LancerG2 like this

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

Fait ce que Voudras

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Yeah. I think it has to do with character development and having too much too easily to appreciate it. There have actually been studies done (real world, that is) that show that after a certain level, money does not buy happiness. If you've got none, of course it's going to help, but once you reach a certain point, getting more and more is not what makes you happy with life or disenchanted with it. I think maybe R* messed up with the "Hey, let's make it possible to make a ridiculous amount of money"... to do what with, exactly? Buy a bunch of meaningless stuff?

BurkeKnight
  • BurkeKnight

GTA Fan

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Would have been better if R* had it so could buy safehouses in IV. Having the set ones is fine, but I would love to have been able to buy more. Maybe even buy businesses, that can help make you money.

• Sting4S likes this

Nathaaann
  • Nathaaann

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

Probably because Niko was a badass. He killed people, smuggled people, sold people (:D) and was a hitman for the families, was probably also brought up in conversation by the commission aswell which would be pretty badass.

Michael was a greedy bank robber, targeting innocent people. Trevor took his rage out on the Lost which, to be honest, weren't very powerful at all after TLAD since they got all meth'd up. Franklin was, well, Franklin.

• LancerG2 likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

A Young Filipino Boy Playing Hands-Free Catch-the-Quarter

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

Characters like Niko and Johnny are genuinely fleshed out. You can see their motives, strengths, weaknesses, and emotions. They're believable, which is mostly what makes them such bad motherf*ckers.

Michael? Golf? Hanging out with your kids? Yoga? Retirement simulator 2014. They had a chance to get more in depth with him, maybe even explore this "bank robber" idea more, but instead were tossed some half-assed, half-finished heists.

Franklin was the CJ clone to make a selling point for the fan-boys. Like Trevor, I don't take pleasure in playing with two cronic whiners and complainers. 

Serbian army veteran contract killers and drug-addled chopper-riding bikers are better than retirees, negative "home boys", and crying meth tweaking pieces of sh*t any day.

Franklin was, well, Franklin.

The most accurate character description of Franklin yet.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

SirMichaelRocks23
  • SirMichaelRocks23

GTA Online 1.17 Retiree.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Never really thought about this at all... Niko did seem more of a badass than the GTA V characters.

Even Luis was cold as hell. In the whole story, he rarely showed emotion at all. Anybody messes with him, they'd end up getting dropped, or blasted to death. Remember that mission where he hijacks that Buzzard? The dude was having a good ass time blowing up that Yacht. Lol

At times, he was a bit of a troll. Lmao

Not even Niko would say that to Bulgarin.

• BurkeKnight likes this

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Never really thought about this at all... Niko did seem more of a badass than the GTA V characters.

Even Luis was cold as hell. In the whole story, he rarely showed emotion at all. Anybody messes with him, they'd end up getting dropped, or blasted to death. Remember that mission where he hijacks that Buzzard? The dude was having a good ass time blowing up that Yacht. Lol

At times, he was a bit of a troll. Lmao

Not even Niko would say that to Bulgarin.

I've noticed that  one of the key differences between Luis and the other protagonists is that Luis doesn't seem to have "negotiation" in his vocabulary. The other main characters usually realize when someone has leverage over them, and will wait for the right moment to take them out. Luis seems like he's a lot more likely to just straight up kill anyone trying to blackmail him.

RenThePyro
  • RenThePyro

I kept on walking

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

Everything is more satisfying to do as Niko.

But GTA 4 was a more dramatic game, taking place in one of the grittiest GTA cities, Niko's back story already makes him badass.

GTA 5 on the other hand was more of a feel good game, in the sense of a Hollywood movie, if anything I find it a dramatic comedy, and as for Trevor I find him to be more a comedic character where all his "badass" moments are just his stupidity, for we all know his existence is pathetic in the grand scheme of things.

bobo081093
  • bobo081093

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Probably due to the progression of Niko from Roman's first apartment to by the end of the story, eliminating all enemies and making a large amount of cash in the meantime. Whereas in V all the characters had something to begin with and do not have the grit that is being a gun for hire.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Probably due to the progression of Niko from Roman's first apartment to by the end of the story, eliminating all enemies and making a large amount of cash in the meantime. Whereas in V all the characters had something to begin with and do not have the grit that is being a gun for hire.

Yeah. Also I think it's hard to achieve in GTA V with three protagonists than just one.

Although I think it could be the setting too. I mean LS is the polar opposite to LC. I can picture Michael sitting by the pool sipping martinis.

Niko lives it rough even when he moves to Algonquin. It would be different I think if Michael lived in LC and worked as a mafia hitman. That's basically what Niko does.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Does anyone else feel the same?

I don't... All three GTA V protagonists are badass in their own way, in an equal amount as Niko imo. But Niko would've been more badass if they would've given him stealth.

thesmileys
  • thesmileys

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Maybe because Niko is a badass unlike the others.

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

I could tell IV was different from the time he got off the boat and drove away with Roman, he was there for one purpose and along the way got sidetracked ,he has his own set of morals some good some bad ,the same as anyone but I think Niko was more of a badass because he thought about what he was going to do rather then just do it , it wasn't just about the dollar.

BurkeKnight
  • BurkeKnight

GTA Fan

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Yes, he did seem the type that decided what to do after thinking what the pros and cons were. He used his head.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:21 AM Edited by thatGuyyy, 25 January 2014 - 12:27 AM.

If Michael was the only protag in V, than we would notice how much of a badass he really is. He literally came from nothing, born from trailer trash, and got rich off crime. He was a badass bank robber, dope dealer, and he ran a prostitution ring. I don't know how much more badass you can get than that. Some people underrate how much of a badass he is for a few reasons

1) He's rich and retired- Its hard to appear badass when you're chilling by the pool while sipping a martini

2) The Location- Everything looks like paradise in sunny LS, its not a tough environment to live in

3) He's OLD- Its hard to do badass stunts when you're pushing 50

4) He's got something to lose, he has a family so instead of risking it like a 'badass' would, he chooses to play it safe

Niko on the other hand is a war veteran. But to me soldiers aren't badass, they just take and execute orders from their superiors, obeying every command. On the other hand, Michael planned and lead his own heists, he never followed anyones orders.

Niko is alot younger than Michael. I feel we'd get a much better idea of how badass Michael really is if we played a younger version of himself.

Both Michael and Niko are my favorite GTA characters, but to me Michael has a slightly larger edge

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Probably has something to do with the combat system feeling much more satisfying in IV.

Shoot someone in IV, they grab their wound and stumble back. Shoot someone in V, they ragdoll and die instantly.

thatGuyyy
  • thatGuyyy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Probably has something to do with the combat system feeling much more satisfying in IV.

Shoot someone in IV, they grab their wound and stumble back. Shoot someone in V, they ragdoll and die instantly.

Not to mention the hand-to-hand combat is much better in IV. You can push/punch/kick/block/counter instead of just a magical haymaker that instantly kills people

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users