Photo

Lack of San Andreas Elements

118 replies to this topic
halapeno71
  • halapeno71

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

That's not at all what I'm saying. I started this topic for nostalgic forum members and hoped to get their opinions and info. That's all.

Alright, then in answer to your original question, do I miss the gangwars? No, even though I enjoyed them. Because we got heists this time around which I also rather enjoyed. I don't think they could have done both gangwars and heists without one or both ideas falling short in the execution, never mind the fact that the two are incongruous with each other and wouldn't have made for a cohesive storyline.

"Hi, I'm Franklin Clinton. I rip off banks and jewelery stores by day for millions of dollars at a time, and in my spare time, I put my life at unnecessary risk just so I can spray graffiti on the side of a building and then irrationally claim privately owned property to be my "turf."

Vanjingle
  • Vanjingle

Assistant Regional Manager

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:09 AM

That's not at all what I'm saying. I started this topic for nostalgic forum members and hoped to get their opinions and info. That's all.

Alright, then in answer to your original question, do I miss the gangwars? No, even though I enjoyed them. Because we got heists this time around which I also rather enjoyed. I don't think they could have done both gangwars and heists without one or both ideas falling short in the execution, never mind the fact that the two are incongruous with each other and wouldn't have made for a cohesive storyline.

"Hi, I'm Franklin Clinton. I rip off banks and jewelery stores by day for millions of dollars at a time, and in my spare time, I put my life at unnecessary risk just so I can spray graffiti on the side of a building and then irrationally claim privately owned property to be my "turf."

I see your point, now explain to me this. Does it make sense that this wouldn't be the case with Franklin, yet Trevor has about nineteen million dollars at the end and still lives in a trailer?

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

Yes actually.  Unlike Franklin, Trevor does not give a crap about money, cars, clothes, hairstyles, houses etc.  He's a thrill seeker who is only interested in dominating whichever geographical area he happens to be occupying.  He cares (in the only ways he knows how) for certain family/friends and their well-being.  Otherwise, he cares about asserting power over others - nothing else.

Deadman2112
  • Deadman2112

<i> C U, you filthy shoe thieving shoe thief!

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:41 AM Edited by Deadman2112, 26 November 2013 - 04:14 PM.

there are quite a few things that I think they could have added to the game like the burglary/home invasion missions from the first San Andreas
like Ryder told CJ "your regular house breaker homie"

but in a nutshell I think they did a great job
that's just my opinion however

but heck if gang wars mean that much to you I'll tell you a secret way to start one...

go down Grove Street
punch someone in the mouth or draw your weapon on one of them
and wallah instant gang war

I think the biggest thing that's being overlooked here is GTA San Andreas was set at a time that had mimicked when the gang wars were huge out in California

things aren't as bad as they used to be so I think the game was trying to follow that theme

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Mmmm, each GTA just embraces a different time period and showcases the topics most discussed then.  The general premise and appeal of any GTA is usually:  Here's your environment, start from nothing and do whatever it takes to have something.  (freedom, money, safety, peace - whatever that may be)  And of course fantasy-based fun.  (like crazy stunts and dying in hilarious ways)  I think R* does a decent job of serious story telling and poking fun at everyone equally.  V shifts the main focus away from gangs and that's okay.  That said, gangs still persist everywhere.  So does poverty and limited options.  Not everyone achieves success illegally.  Not everyone succeeds.  Some try to leave.  Some stay because they can't leave.  Some stay to try to change things for the better.  Some return with solutions.  Ahh, the human struggle.

As an aside, IV's gameplay was not something I much enjoyed so I missed out on getting to know Niko well.  What I saw/heard of him, I liked.  It's like a metaphor for "all in the approach."

Off-topic:  With R*'s success, they are the only company that can pull off what I have in mind.  They are certainly the one that inspired it.

halapeno71
  • halapeno71

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:57 AM Edited by halapeno71, 26 November 2013 - 12:07 PM.

I see your point, now explain to me this. Does it make sense that this wouldn't be the case with Franklin, yet Trevor has about nineteen million dollars at the end and still lives in a trailer?

Well, certainly when it comes to Trevor, "sense" doesn't apply in the traditional sense.

Trevor lives in a trailer by choice. Remember the "hipster" conversation between Michael and Trevor on their drive to Paleto Bay? Whether Trevor wants to admit it or not, everything about him-- where he lives, how he lives, his clothing, etc-- all of his choices are in service to an image he apparently wants to convey.

Nor are his actions governed by rationality and common sense, as he freely admits: "A rational person would keep someone around if they're useful. I'm not rational. I don't care if you're useful...."

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

I don't see how it's trying to move away. It's just using it in different ways. Toilet humour still exists in the game.

Its not nearly as prevalent.

And the middle finger cursor, or Trevor being drunk and in underwear isn't "toilet humor". It's immature, sure, but it doesn't fit that catagory of comedy.

Brian359
  • Brian359

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

I never enjoyed the gangster stuff in San Andreas. I loved it as a GTA game but it catered to stuff I had no interest on. Dull 90's gangster cliches. The game became fun when I entered the countryside.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

I never enjoyed the gangster stuff in San Andreas. I loved it as a GTA game but it catered to stuff I had no interest on. Dull 90's gangster cliches. The game became fun when I entered the countryside.

It was fun to have someone from the hood into the hillbilly scene. Would have been funny if Sweet, Ryder and Smoke went also there just to hear there reactions.

Brian359
  • Brian359

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Ryder did but in a shady meeting with Jizzy B, T Bone and Mike Toreno.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Ryder did but in a shady meeting with Jizzy B, T Bone and Mike Toreno.

Oh yes. Think i still have those pics that i took of them, lol.

• Deadman2112 likes this

Palm Tree
  • Palm Tree

GTA

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

I think that making GTA V not completely gang related was a good idea, made for some more relatable moments, and made the story more intriguing itself.

Vanjingle
  • Vanjingle

Assistant Regional Manager

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

I think that making GTA V not completely gang related was a good idea, made for some more relatable moments, and made the story more intriguing itself.

Personally though, I feel like they could have included more. Has anyone noticed how they had this huge backstory for Michael and Trevor, but nothing for Franklin. I'm sure that before Franklin wanted out, he was in, which meant he was doing gang stuff all the time. It would have been nice to see what his life was like a little further back from meeting Michael. 

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Heists versus burglaries, lol. There can be sophistication in both. Hell, even a master pickpocket is an unemployed illusionist. Burglaries are a bit more directly personal than bags of money stolen from a bank's vault. This is just faceless victims versus victims trying to have a safe and secure home. I really do like the philosophical and moral dilemmas presented by R*. I also like being able to put that aside and just do stupid mindless crazy things in the game. Like SA's map, I was excited to explore V's. R* gives the average person the ability to go to places they either can't or wouldn't go to in the real world. It's a brilliant reaching across lines.

I've liked the gangster elements in GTAs whether you're working with street gangs, biker gangs, or varied mafias. It's pretty low-key without too much seriousness. Good, because in reality, none of it is glamorous. Beauty is there though, whether on the side of the law or those struggling to survive it.

Rags to riches stories (by whatever means), are statistically rare in reality. Extremely rare. GTA embraces the underdog and we love that. But where R* stops writing (so far) is at that almighty dollar. Financial success can be translated to personal freedom, sure. But what of this freedom with not the imagination to do something bigger with it? In SA we could buy houses in excess and it was a great fantasy. Woohoo, we have 48364839 houses!! But nearly everyone hated you, lol. (Maybe that's how the top 2% feels.) BLAH. Imagine, a nobody with nothing protag that earns 48364839 houses that are not theirs but they're welcome to visit. You can not buy that. Where's the protag that rocks the state? That's the kind of winning/writing I'd like to see.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

You do realize that when you first take over control of Trevor he starts with over $100,000, right? More than enough to not live in a sh*thole trailer in this desert. He's there because he wants to be.

To this guy: "go down Grove Street
and wallah instant gang war"

It's "voila", dude.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

You do realize that when you first take over control of Trevor he starts with over $100,000, right? More than enough to not live in a sh*thole trailer in this desert. He's there because he wants to be.

To this guy: "go down Grove Street
and wallah instant gang war"

It's "voila", dude.

I was shocked to see that Trevor had the most money..

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

I was shocked to see that Trevor had the most money..

I think it's supposed to imply that his insanely aggressive behavior has made his meth slinging business rather lucrative. Which makes sense. Selling any hard drugs regularly is an excercise in always looking over your shoulder and always showing the competition they should never, EVER, f*ck with you. Right up Trevor's alley if you ask me.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

Trevor's "business" definitely required the aggressiveness he so often displayed. Yep, sometimes he just doesn't care about certain things. Sure, what's familiar to him (trailer) is what's most comfortable. But then he gets excited about living in LS. Is he devious in his plans? Does he want more chaos, pissing contests, and turf wars?

Mv6
  • Mv6

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

I had hoped for hydraulics being included in the car customizations. Would be great to if Rockstar add them via dlc 

5Skinner
  • 5Skinner

Player Hater

• Members
  • Christmas-Island

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

All i want is sweet's greenwood and bounce fm.

• IoX WOLF XoI and Vanjingle like this

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:53 PM Edited by Midnightz, 08 December 2013 - 07:04 AM.

**OOPS**

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

If they brought hydraulics back, I would want different controls. In SA, they were a lot of fun to toy with when driving but we lost the ability to control the camera at the same time. Sure, the Lowrider Challenge was fun too but the one thing missing, besides complexity, was the ability to see how you did. I would have scripted a better mini-challenge; since it requires you to watch the prompts --> then play the highlights of what you did when complete. I would have also included turns between competitors. It was a very cool feature. :)

IoX WOLF XoI
  • IoX WOLF XoI

WOLF

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

what happened to san fierro and las venturas? also if they had brought back graffiti, that would have been sick, like instead of doing it in certain spots, you could do it where ever and also design your own marks.

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

Underboss of The S1CKMAD3 Mafia

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

what happened to san fierro and las venturas? also if they had brought back graffiti, that would have been sick, like instead of doing it in certain spots, you could do it where ever and also design your own marks.

i dont miss san fierro other than the big bridge . but i do miss las venturas and i was really dissapointed that it wasnt part of this game . maybe a future dlc?

• IoX WOLF XoI likes this

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

Yes, I was hoping they would bring graffiti back as a sort of mini game with anything in the map being your canvas. Provide a simple color picker and paint brush heads OR a selection of existing artwork to choose from. Limit the number of locations a player can draw only if there's a memory restriction. It would be cool in single player and very cool online.

I miss having the entire state of SA. Unlike people who lack the ability to grasp fast travel methods, I love large maps. I often think about how to create one that never ends.

crazytrain424
  • crazytrain424

Prankster

• Members

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:34 AM

if you want gang wars...play online

CarlitoDorito
  • CarlitoDorito

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

I remember them gang wars, standing in the last tiny bit of purple waiting for a balla car to come along for at least an hour, shooting them, then waiting for another to start the gang war. Fun

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

It's a new era and therefore they probably chose not to bring LV and SF back.

That and console limitations. They'd have had to match or increase the sizes of SF and LV a lot as they did with LS.

BarneyR10
  • BarneyR10

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

Taking it back to GTA 2 for the playstation which was the first GTA game i ever played, i remember being able to work for all the different mafias/gangs.

GTA 3 Was the same, you had multiple gangs/mafia around the city. Vice City followed the same path and SA just was a full gang banging game.

IV is where everything changed and i personally disliked it a lot for it. I expected a lot more from GTA 5 especially knowing we were headed back to Los Santos... I want to be able to work for different mafias... bring it back rockstar!

:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users