Photo

Lack of San Andreas Elements

118 replies to this topic
Vanjingle
  • Vanjingle

Assistant Regional Manager

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:59 AM

Is it just me or does anyone else miss the gang like style of San Andreas? Out of everything this was probably the most disappointing to me. I was so ready to go get in some story mode gang wars with the Ballas and Vagos. It pissed me off when Franklin was just some punk for Michael

• Mister Pink, WestsideOutlaw187 and IoX WOLF XoI like this

Troubadour
  • Troubadour

Tequlia Makes Her Clothes Fall Off

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

Well that's because this isn't Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas this is Grand Theft Auto 5 completely difference
  • Wolfhuman, Miketv, IveGotNoValues and 2 others like this

errai14
  • errai14

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

I actually was bothered by the lack of gangs from the game. I enjoyed those long gang battles, and with the new graphics and game play, GTA could have made some awesome game battles throughout Los Santos. The game also does not really embrace you into any culture or feel part of the city. Trevor, Michael, and Franklin are basically outsiders of their society and that is why despite being very different are drawn into working together. I wish in reasonably priced DLC, there would be more gangs and have awesome gang wars better than that of GTA San Andreas. 

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:29 AM Edited by Baramos, 18 November 2013 - 05:30 AM.

Well there are several gang-related missions you do as Franklin where you are fighting the Ballas, so...they even made Stretch

Spoiler

Clearly it's not inspired by movies like Menace II Society, Boyz n the Hood, New Jack City like San Andreas was, though. Those were the main influences on that game.

The only clear reference I saw to a particular movie in GTA V was that the one heist you do for the FIB where you ram the truck is clearly based on the opening heist in Heat. I figured there'd undoubtedly be references to Thief (which if you haven't seen it is a James Caan movie) somewhere in it, but they didn't really materialize. The best I can say is that Michael reminds me of James Caan's character in that movie (and the artwork where Michael is tearing his shirt open to reveal a bulletproof vest riddled with bullets is indeed from Thief). The final heist's "subtle" approach reminded me quite a bit of the remake of The Italian Job, another heist movie.

So, with the clear pastiche of heist movies being the references they are getting at, they simply didn't have room to do yet another widespread ode to early '90s gang culture movies.

Really, I felt the gang culture thing was represented a fair amount, the game has three protagonists who are into totally different things culturally so it's not surprising that only a small part of the game would deal with gang culture, especially since the character entrenched in it, Franklin, is desperately trying to get out of it.

After all, even in San Andreas, only the first third of the game (and right near the end) is really invested in the gang culture thing, when you go to San Fierro and Las Venturas it is very much given the back seat.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Clearly it's not inspired by movies like Menace II Society, Boyz n the Hood, New Jack City like San Andreas was, though. Those were the main influences on that game.

The only clear reference I saw to a particular movie in GTA V was that the one heist you do for the FIB where you ram the truck is clearly based on the opening heist in Heat. I figured there'd undoubtedly be references to Thief (which if you haven't seen it is a James Caan movie) somewhere in it, but they didn't really materialize. The best I can say is that Michael reminds me of James Caan's character in that movie (and the artwork where Michael is tearing his shirt open to reveal a bulletproof vest riddled with bullets is indeed from Thief). The final heist's "subtle" approach reminded me quite a bit of the remake of The Italian Job, another heist movie.

So, with the clear pastiche of heist movies being the references they are getting at, they simply didn't have room to do yet another widespread ode to early '90s gang culture movies.

I also feel like the Union Depository job, if you choose to tunnel into the vault with the giant drill, is an homage to the Federal Reserve heist from Die Hard with a Vengence.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Even tho i liked gta san andreas, not every game has to be gang related.

• PreciousWall and Miketv like this

graves_09
  • graves_09

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

And all the other side missions that are in every other GTA that are missing from V.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

It would be cool that there was a Side Mission with Lamar where you were back on the gang business and you had to recover back Groove Street and the rest of the turfs around LS. At the end you would have to decide whether you betray Lamar and the Families and hook up with the Ballas or, still be with the Chamberlain Families and end with the Ballas.

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:56 PM Edited by Baramos, 18 November 2013 - 04:03 PM.

And all the other side missions that are in every other GTA that are missing from V.

I remember being so utterly relieved when playing IV to find out that I wouldn't have to put out a zillion fires within completely arbitrary time limits to get 100%, so...nope. You are wrong to think this is a bad thing in my opinion.

Also innacurate since GTA IV as mentioned did away with both fire and paramedic side missions which had up to then been mainstays of the series, and vastly changed how the taxi missions worked.

It would be cool that there was a Side Mission with Lamar where you were back on the gang business and you had to recover back Groove Street and the rest of the turfs around LS. At the end you would have to decide whether you betray Lamar and the Families and hook up with the Ballas or, still be with the Chamberlain Families and end with the Ballas.

I would have preferred the fourth option of capping Lamar near the beginning of the game because both he and Tanisha are the most annoying examples of "crab bucket" mentality and hypocrisy I have seen in quite a while (maybe since the original San Andreas, but at least that had the pay-off of allowing you to off Ryder and Big Smoke). Tanisha complains you don't want to be a gangbanger and stay in the hood, while she herself is going to go marry a doctor and live in the rich part of town. Lamar is an envious little twerp suffering from delusions who is easily one of the worst fictional hanger-ons and continually holds Franklin back through his incompetence.

Ne0nLiteZ
  • Ne0nLiteZ

Dealer

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

I actually was bothered by the lack of gangs from the game. I enjoyed those long gang battles, and with the new graphics and game play, GTA could have made some awesome game battles throughout Los Santos. The game also does not really embrace you into any culture or feel part of the city. Trevor, Michael, and Franklin are basically outsiders of their society and that is why despite being very different are drawn into working together. I wish in reasonably priced DLC, there would be more gangs and have awesome gang wars better than that of GTA San Andreas. 

This is pretty much the best way to put it. You werent drawn into anything. Maybe trevor with his desert life but other than that, franklin didnt fit and neither did michael, so they were just kind of their own thing. 

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

This is pretty much the best way to put it. You werent drawn into anything. Maybe trevor with his desert life but other than that, franklin didnt fit and neither did michael, so they were just kind of their own thing. 

I don't know about that. Michael is a film buff living in Vinewood (read: Hollywood). He's just not one of those "I write at Starbucks so everyone can see I'm a real writer" douche bags. He's still living right where he thinks he wants to be. Trevor clearly felt a big loss, and then betrayal, over the "death" of Michael, so his self-imposed exile into the desert seems fitting. And Franklin is clearly a product of his environment, you're just not exposed to it as much because only the earliest parts of the game take place in the less wealthy parts of LS.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

There are several gangs in LS alone and others in Blaine County. If you piss them off or they just don't like you, you will have tons of them shooting at you. Is this not enough, really?

Vanjingle
  • Vanjingle

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

In my opinion I find it weird that they would reuse an area for another game and not have it relate to the first..

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

I don't understand what you're referring to?

Vanjingle
  • Vanjingle

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

I don't understand what you're referring to?

Rockstar using San Andreas as the map again and not including any past elements.

CChevelleSS
  • CChevelleSS

GTA all the way

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

San Andreas was over 20 years ago Los Santos has had to change alot so quit your bitching they didn't make make GTA 5 to be a reborn version of GTA:SA so shut it.

• Miketv and Katve like this

Vanjingle
  • Vanjingle

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

San Andreas was over 20 years ago Los Santos has had to change alot so quit your bitching they didn't make make GTA 5 to be a reborn version of GTA:SA so shut it.

Why the f*ck are you even here? You're not even contributing. It's a legit discussion! It's been 20 years since the 90's in real life and there's still gangs. So why don't you f*cking shut it?

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

Specifics? Which elements?

Several of the same gangs are present. They can be found in areas that are reminiscent of GTASA such as ELS and SLS. Grove Street Families know Franklin and talk to him. Ballas don't like him. Gangs change over time. Even in SA, gang territories changed throughout the game.

If you think it's weird they did a reimagined state of SA and thus the map is completely different, I agree with you. However, they probably did this because it's more fun making a new map on a new engine than trying to upgrade an existing layout, lol. Lastly, there are so many fan-made mods that upgrade old SA. (Mine could pass for next gen at a quick glance, lol.)

If you're talking about missing submissions such as pimping, vigilante, firefighter, paramedic - wait for V on PC and modders will give it to you. In fact, most of what's missing can be given back via mods.

What else?

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

I don't even know why this is an issue for some people. The only gangster in the "we wear these colors, we control this turf, we rep this gang" sense is Franklin, and he clearly doesn't want that life. He's always trying to move up and away from that life. So the game not focusing on that makes sense. Why would someone who doesn't want to live the thug life anymore try to take over more territory for the gang he was formerly affiliated with?

As for taxi/ambulance/fire rescue missions being gone, THANK GOD. "Hey, I stole this fire truck which surely has a GPS tracker in it, but instead of ditching it so the cops can't find me, I'll race around putting out fires!" Its assinine, and I'm glad its gone.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

A GTA V fanboy's worst nightmare

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Personally I thought Franklin met Michael far too early. I'm not the biggest fan of street gang culture, but I wouldn't have minded if Franklin's story about escaping from the hood was fleshed out a bit more.

He was a good character, but too much in Michael and Trevor's shadows IMO.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

They didn't focus on gangs because gangs were more of a 90's thing, whilst GTA V is set in the modern era. It focuses more on the downfall of the gangs. However I do agree that they should of focused more on the hood aspect of the game. "Hood Safari" and "The Long Stretch' were some of the greatest missions in GTA history, such a shame they were some of the only gang related missions. 

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

This just isn't a gang banging game.

I do agree that Franklin could have had more gang-related missions early in the game and THEN made the shift to get away from it. But that didn't happen.

Since Trevor is an anything goes character, he could be the one to help Lamar with gang stuff later. Franklin could just watch from his mansion while continuing his ironing, lol.

You might see side-mission gang stuff in DLC and if you don't, you will probably see it in PC mods.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Some gang wars would be good. Franklin being "pressured" into it by Lemar for example.

What i find disappointing is the inability to do, let's say a shootout with Franklin, and phone up trevor for him to appear and you can switch between them .

Imagine that with gangwars. They were fun in SA, for a time, until they bugged out. There IS a gang connection, whether this is a "gang" game or not, having it there would be cool

CrazyRay
  • CrazyRay

8" Member

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

I guess the kiddies think this is GTA III; San Andreas 2 and not GTA V

gtaocicat
  • gtaocicat

Underboss of The S1CKMAD3 Mafia

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

i am glad the firefighter and ambulance missions are gone . i do wish they had the vigilante missions . as for the taxi missions , they still have them . just hit the left or right button ( cant  remember wich) when you are driving a taxi. 

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

Looking for a black best friend- PM Me

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [Advice with girlfriends]

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

There are as many Heat references in this game as there are Scarface references in Vice City. Definitely a huge influence.

graves_09
  • graves_09

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:15 PM Edited by graves_09, 19 November 2013 - 07:36 PM.

As for taxi/ambulance/fire rescue missions being gone, THANK GOD. "Hey, I stole this fire truck which surely has a GPS tracker in it, but instead of ditching it so the cops can't find me, I'll race around putting out fires!" Its assinine, and I'm glad its gone.

I will agree that the missions could be a bit tedious, but please spare me the "it could never happen in real life " argument. If you want the game to be realistic, the first time you get wasted, delete the game from your hard drive, and break the disk in two. If your "wasted" you don't get back on the street after paying a small hospital bill. There will always have to be a balance between "real" and fun.

As for other features missing from SA, what about: trucking, trains, delivery missions, BMX, bike races, etc. The list goes on and on. Yes some of these tasks were tedious, but that was part of the challenge of the game. Some of those missions really sucked bit the satisfaction that came with completimg them was high. I think V had added some very nice features. The random events are really fun, but why not keep what you have and build on it rather than omitting previous staples of the game?

Overall the biggest thing SA had over V was SA was a challenge to beat. Getting 100% on V is a joke. You don't ever need to do half the overall missions to get "100%". Completing a mission on SA was hard. No check points. Fail and start over. Tedious at times, but a real sense of accomplishment. That is the real thing lacking about this game.

I've said my piece, off my soap box....

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

I will agree that the missions could be a bit tedious, but please spare me the "it could never happen in real life " argument. If you want the game to be realistic, the first time you get wasted, delete the game from your hard drive, and break the disk in two. If your "wasted" you don't get back on the street after paying a small hospital bill. There will always have to be a balance between "real" and fun.

To be honest its not even really the realism of it that bothers me, its the lack of logic. I murder people indiscriminately but I'm gonna jack a firetruck to save lives?

graves_09
  • graves_09

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

To be honest its not even really the realism of it that bothers me, its the lack of logic. I murder people indiscriminately but I'm gonna jack a firetruck to save lives?

Seriously, where is the logic in any of this game? why would I help a hitch hiker to the airport, why would I return a stole bike/car/wallet? 99% of the game isn't logical but its fun.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Seriously, where is the logic in any of this game? why would I help a hitch hiker to the airport, why would I return a stole bike/car/wallet? 99% of the game isn't logical but its fun.

That's the other thing, those missions just weren't fun. The last GTA I 100%'d was Vice City, and that was an ordeal.

Also, and I'm just saying here, those things you mentioned ARE optional.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users