Photo

The friendships should have actually been rewarding

15 replies to this topic
Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:43 AM

During my first playthrough of GTA V I barely even took notice of the fact that you could take the other protagonists, Lamar and Michael's family out on activities. However I need to ask, what was the point in this feature?

In IV it was made out to be almost a key gameplay element. While their was a lot of very mixed reaction to this Rockstar probably knew not to force it on the players like it seemed it was in IV. But the thing that made me motivated to do them in IV was the rewards you got from them. I mean, who didn't love using Dwayne's backup on rampages?

However in GTA V it was simply tacked on. I'm not saying you should have had Amanda calling you up every 5 minutes wanting to play tenis, but you should have at least got something out of doing these. Lamar could have provided good backup for Franklin and Trevor on some missions, Amanda could have got to a discount at clothing shops after f*cking the owner and Jimmy... Well who knows what Jimmy could have provided.

Tldr: There is no incentive to go out and hang out with the other characters outside of missions.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:43 AM

I am glad it is completely optional. It's for people who want a little more insight into the story.

• Jacob-B likes this

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

I am glad it is completely optional. It's for people who want a little more insight into the story.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't have been optional. What I'm saying is that like optional tasks in most video games it should have rewarded you with something.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

I find it odd that "Hang Out" is an option on the phone, but it's the only option. Why even make it an option when that's all you can ever call them for? 

Bizdaddy
  • Bizdaddy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

I agree, I miss the perks of the gf's and friends going to hangout was pointless with no reward.

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homie

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:14 AM Edited by darkdayz, 18 November 2013 - 01:14 AM.

I agree. I felt like the characters were completely disconnected to each other except for the main 3 protagonists during the story. There was no meeting people, knowing people for quarter of the game and then eventually killing people, no sense of heirachy either. I think this was sadly down to the three character gameplay mechanic. The storytelling just wasn't on par. Very surface. It didn't feel like a GTA story, may be a good thing in some cases - but only if your improving and moving forward, which I felt it didn't.

[µT]
  • [µT]

The Sword Swingin' Surgeon

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

Yeah I don't really get friends in this game.. if you're not hanging out with a protag you basically just have an annoying ped that trails 40 yards behind you and says two lines of dialogue before going mute. Not even Lamar carries a gun and will just eat bullets.. so annoying lmao

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:44 AM

It was completely optional in GTA IV also, but these "They call me every 5 minutes wahwahwah leave me alone" whiners made it out to be something that had to be done.

The friend system in GTA V is so half assed I don't even know why they bothered. I don't see the point if hanging out with them doesn't influence anything. There are also no cool activities like boating and riding in helicopters either.

I would've preferred if they left it out all together instead of insulting the people who actually liked this feature in GTA IV.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:52 AM

It was completely optional in GTA IV also, but these "They call me every 5 minutes wahwahwah leave me alone" whiners made it out to be something that had to be done.

The friend system in GTA V is so half assed I don't even know why they bothered. I don't see the point if hanging out with them doesn't influence anything. There are also no cool activities like boating and riding in helicopters either.

I would've preferred if they left it out all together instead of insulting the people who actually liked this feature in GTA IV.

I liked IV but the constant calls were annoying. In V you can choose whether or not you want to hang out and if you choose not to you lose nothing. How is that not better?

Bizdaddy
  • Bizdaddy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

I do like the optional but why not reward the players that choose that option? Then you have the best of both worlds.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

I liked IV but the constant calls were annoying. In V you can choose whether or not you want to hang out and if you choose not to you lose nothing. How is that not better?

f*ck you, whiner.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

Maybe I've got a different interpretation of "constant" to you, but I never found them to be annoying.

There are times I can play GTA IV for an hour or two and never get a single phone call.

Also in GTA IV you can choose not to hang out with them and lose nothing. Just accept their invite and ring them back under the "cancel plans" option presto. You don't lose or gain anything.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

During my first playthrough of GTA V I barely even took notice of the fact that you could take the other protagonists, Lamar and Michael's family out on activities. However I need to ask, what was the point in this feature?
In IV it was made out to be almost a key gameplay element. While their was a lot of very mixed reaction to this Rockstar probably knew not to force it on the players like it seemed it was in IV. But the thing that made me motivated to do them in IV was the rewards you got from them. I mean, who didn't love using Dwayne's backup on rampages?
However in GTA V it was simply tacked on. I'm not saying you should have had Amanda calling you up every 5 minutes wanting to play tenis, but you should have at least got something out of doing these. Lamar could have provided good backup for Franklin and Trevor on some missions, Amanda could have got to a discount at clothing shops after f*cking the owner and Jimmy... Well who knows what Jimmy could have provided.
Tldr: There is no incentive to go out and hang out with the other characters outside of missions.

R* have never seemed to get that the friendships would be alot funner if the friendship progress was harder to fulfill but never decreases once it is full.
That's the problem with it in all GTAs that it has featured in, you have to juggle the friendships endlessly, it's no fun like that.

Baramos
  • Baramos

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

Well in GTA SA your girlfriend meter could only go down if you were in that part of the state, so it wasn't that annoying. It also went down so slowly it almost didn't matter.

GTA IV you could call the back and cancel, no loss.

The reason they didn't tie anything into them this time is if you find it annoying and a waste of time to such a simple activity over and over again you don't want to feel like you HAVE to do that to get 100% or all the stuff in the game.

Heck I got tired of going around and finding all the hidden packages five games ago, it'd be nice if they made those optional too or just had money tied into them instead of actual missions you can't get unless you do them like in this game.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

Well in GTA SA your girlfriend meter could only go down if you were in that part of the state, so it wasn't that annoying. It also went down so slowly it almost didn't matter.

GTA IV you could call the back and cancel, no loss.

The reason they didn't tie anything into them this time is if you find it annoying and a waste of time to such a simple activity over and over again you don't want to feel like you HAVE to do that to get 100% or all the stuff in the game.

Heck I got tired of going around and finding all the hidden packages five games ago, it'd be nice if they made those optional too or just had money tied into them instead of actual missions you can't get unless you do them like in this game.

Actually you still have to hang out with friends to get 100% in GTA V. At least one of each activity is required.

ahmadjufri2013
  • ahmadjufri2013

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

hey look its jim morrison!!!!!1111

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users